Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The City or The Country?

Twisted Cyclone 🚓

Which area would you like to live in or prefer to be in?

I personally prefer to live in the country where I live now. The less people the better for me. Also, I feel really awkward in big cities.

• Brohoof 2

I would like a low-populated place to live in but I also see the value of living in a rather well-off city with access to things that may not be available outside. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I live in the country :) I live in a secluded village in South Wales. I like it here :) Living in a city would annoy me, I don't like big crowds. The problem here is the lack of jobs  :dry:

Edited by Kayleigh
  • Brohoof 2

I spent a good amount of time in both, and they all got they merits.

Country is great for introspection, nature is the shit, and the folk who live around you tend to be more friendly and open.

City is that piff cause you got all these cats around you, no better place to network. Popular culture hits cities first so trending is easy. If you are trying to get into some wild stuff it's easier in cities too.

I live in a city, though not a very big one, it's more of a suburb. I like it the way it is, as there's peace and quiet (though not as much as in the countryside), and the 'luxuries' of cities are easily available too. It's a nice middle-ground between the two~ :)

I personally prefer more rural/country areas over city areas. I'm not someone who enjoys the hectic and fast-paced world of cities- it's just too busy for me. 

As of now, I live a small farming community and I like it very much. However, i'd like to move somewhere with more land. I guess I just find the whole country scene to be more tranquil.

:twi:

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I like different aspects of both. There are things I like about the country that you can't get in the city and there are things I like about the city that you can't get in the country. It isn't so much a city-country divide for me as it is a "places I wanna live-places I don't wanna live" divide. I loved living in Rochester, but I absolutely despised living in Tampa. I think it was the heat and the sprawl (as well as the fact Tampa was the first place I've ever lived where I was accused of being an illegal alien) that made Tampa a less enjoyable place for me to live than here or Rochester.

Edited by Silvestra Spooner
  • Brohoof 1

I live around the city and I don't have a problem getting through every day. During the holidays I do travel out of the city and into the quiet rural areas of another country.

But due to being more used to the city life, I would prefer to live around apartment complexes than a place with more land that covers the entirety of an area.

I'm a city guy. Nightlife, noise and dusty buildings is what I'm all about. I might be interested in moving to the country one day when starting a family or whatever, but not right now. I went to sleep in the country and the lack of background noise and pollution prevented me from sleeping lol

• Brohoof 1

City. Oh. My. God. I hate living in the country. There's nothing to do, no one to talk to, the school's are small and crappy, farm work is bland and mind-numbing (and usually leaves you smelling like crap), nobody listens to anything but godawful country music, there aren't any fun places to visit, it's desolate, lonely, boring, everyone knows everyone (and that is NOT a good thing), and everything, EVERYTHING is all about farming!

In my old town, there was a puny library not worth browsing, and the high school had three electives: agriculture, music, and FACS. The "manly" stuff and the "womanly" stuff. That is freaking it.

Anyone who didn't obsess over hunting fishing, farming, and playing every available sport was an outcast.

The "fresh air" stank of fertilizer, oil, and piss-soaked hay every day.

I HATE it out there. 5 years I lived out in the country. Thank god I'm back in civilization.

• Brohoof 1

I live in the country and I like it here.  But it's not bad here.  Well, not in some ways.  I love nature and I love being away from people.  Physical labor is not a problem for me, and I love the whole atmosphere here.  Most people in this area do like country music, but they prefer other kinds generally speaking (80s pop is pretty popular here, which is fine by me cos I love that stuff).  The weather's nice most of the time, and we rarely get snow (I consider this to be a good thing because if it's cold enough to snow, I don't want to be outside at all). People are prejudiced, but they're also lazy and feel compelled to be nice to your face so even if people are jerks, real confrontations don't happen all that often, and it's an easy matter to isolate yourself from such people.  Our libraries do have good selections, and I don't mind the lack of things to do (cities aren't that far, assuming we can afford to do anything, and I usually would rather sit alone in my room reading or gaming anyway).  I love horses and there are plenty of those 'round these parts, and of course I like animals in general, which is good for being out here.

We have a fairly low crime rate in this area, which I like also, and southern comfort food is just amazing.  Seriously, fried chicken is spectacular here. There's something about this region that just feels... like home.  Sometimes it feels comforting, even.  Big cities, while they can be fun to explore, would be kind of frightening for me to live in.  They're just so big and everything is so cramped and there's so many people...  I don't like people.  I don't trust them. I wanna be where there's less of them and more animals. Fast-paced life just isn't for me.  I like steady and somewhat predictable. 

(edited)

City. Oh. My. God. I hate living in the country. There's nothing to do, no one to talk to, the school's are small and crappy, farm work is bland and mind-numbing (and usually leaves you smelling like crap), nobody listens to anything but godawful country music, there aren't any fun places to visit, it's desolate, lonely, boring, everyone knows everyone (and that is NOT a good thing), and everything, EVERYTHING is all about farming!

In my old town, there was a puny library not worth browsing, and the high school had three electives: agriculture, music, and FACS. The "manly" stuff and the "womanly" stuff. That is freaking it.

Anyone who didn't obsess over hunting fishing, farming, and playing every available sport was an outcast.

The "fresh air" stank of fertilizer, oil, and piss-soaked hay every day.

I HATE it out there. 5 years I lived out in the country. Thank god I'm back in civilization.

Oh thank you for saying all this so I didn't have to! This is 100% accurate. I live in a big city now but I had the misfortune of having been 'exiled' to North/Central Arkansas for a few years when I was younger. My parents moved there (from Las Vegas) when I was too young to have a choice. Culture shock? You have no idea!

Sure, being in the sticks had certain advantages like being able to leave your car unlocked, having all kinds of peace and quiet and the facade of everybody being best buddies with everybody. But there was absolutely NOTHING TO DO! If you wanted to buy something that wasn't the most common article in the world you'd have to go on the internet and pay to have it shipped and wait for it to arrive. Modern conveniences? Yer kiddin' right? Whenever a slight breeze came up we fired up the generator because a power blackout was ALWAYS moments behind. And you always had to drive for 20 minutes to get to the nearest freakin' gas station (yeah, you'd better hope you're not runnin' low!) Wanna buy a newspaper? Sure, they come out once a week (if you're lucky) and the biggest headline was always who caught the biggest fish that week (ugh!) The nearest civilized city was 2 1/2 hours away, and it wasn't even a very big one.

In a real city, you have dependable utilities, convenience, things do do, places to go, people to see. New experiences every day. It's the future (at least I hope). My blood pressure dropped significantly as soon as I got free of all that 'peace and quiet,' and I'll never go back! 

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 2

I live on the country since I can think. I never lived in a city and I also don't want to live in a city (except for a small city). I love the nature and the silence I have in a village. The city is to loud and hectic for me. 

I was born and raised in the backwoods country of Kentucky and moved to the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St Paul two years ago. 

I miss the land, the openness, fireflies, open fires, wildlife sounds at night, hills, creeks, streams and mostly seeing the stars at night.

I do not miss the prejudice, lack of education, lack of resources, lack of diversity, smell of animals, field mice and bugs, dirt and mud.

Also, I am biased because my wife and I lived in KY together for eight years and couldn't marry until we moved across the country and away from everyone/everything we know so we could live our life without being harassed. So, good riddance to the country.

I desperately miss the land tho. So I chose city 100%, with frequent camping trips to visit with the land and myself.

The country only good for people who wish to live a life of solitude, or are able to fit into a narrow definition of what an "acceptable" human is.

Give me a decently sized city over country any day. Even though the chaos of it could be a tad stressful, cities to me are highly preferred because there are a lot of options. Many places to go to, many places to get things that one might need and it feels more like a huge community potentially. I would prefer that over the small town I live in now. 

I would love to live in the country to avoid the hustle and bustle, especially all the noises and traffic around me. But sadly, can't seem to break my hold on the city.

(edited)

I prefer to live where I am... kind of in between. Although I can't say I'd have trouble living more in the city. I can say I'd hate to live out in the country. There'd be a much higher chance of dangerous wild animals, it would get really dark and scary. Sooo not for me. Keep me in industrialized areas.

Edited by Envy