Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rather than a new generation would you prefer a sequel series?

Slashy

More like Digimon Adventure 02 or Dragon Ball Z.

The idea being that while there is a new cast of main characters, our original cast is still significant enough in that some could also be main characters or at least there is an expectation that they could play a huge role in plots.

As the show is right now this would be the only thing that the writers and producers could do, honestly. The mane six are extremely well developed and have a huge following. Replacing them completely would be extremely difficult and require the creators to put extreme faith into the viewers to trust their writing and direction. I can imagine having a new main cast, however they will definitely not just leave the current mane six as fan-service devices that pop up every few episodes and do some cool stuff for the fans. That would be, for lack of a better term, fucking stupid and disappointing as hell 

• Brohoof 1

If there were to be sequel series to FIM, I would like it to be several years after words, have Twilight take Celestia's place as ruler of Equestria and have a similar role that the later had in the first two seasons.

Besides that I wouldn't want to see a lot of characters from the original series.

I would like a brand new cast of characters in a brand new town, learning new lessons of friendship, or taking on different challenges or whatever than what the mane 6 did in FIM.

The question is : around friendship or not ? I'm afraid I don't have the answer. It would take another Faust to bring to life a new and interesting concept.

And having a new cast, everything around friendship and all, with a lot of ponies from the current G4... It wouldn't feel so great honestly. Especially since Twilight became the princess of friendship.

There is definitely everything to create another good show, but, again, it might take someone really inspired to get it right. :twi:

She's not the only creative person in the world you know.

• Brohoof 2

I'd like it if a sequel series had more variety. Characters like Celestia and Cheerilee don't feel very fleshed-out, so something that gave more attention to side characters would be welcome. Greater variety in locations would be nice too.

But no matter what we get, I'll be interested. It takes something seriously bad to put me off of pony. G3.5 bad, to be exact. And now that the large fanbase has shown Hasbro that putting in effort pays off, I doubt anything in the future of MLP will be that bad.

• Brohoof 2

@@Leave a Whisper,

Oh, of course. But it takes more than creativity to produce art (in any form). Coherence and productivity come to mind. It essentially requires enough passion to bring together work capability, creativity and "well-thought-ness" (is there a word for that ?). Smoothness and coherence are easier to reach when we've got one person leading the way.

All I'm saying is, this show didn't appear on its own, and it might require a little bit of magic to make it happen again. :bedeyes:

@ConcorDisparate

I would rather it be someone who was a big fan of what the series is rather than someone upset with it and wants to make great changes. There is already an established lore here, you're building on top of it.

(edited)

@@Leave a Whisper,

Oh, of course. But it takes more than creativity to produce art (in any form). Coherence and productivity come to mind. It essentially requires enough passion to bring together work capability, creativity and "well-thought-ness" (is there a word for that ?). Smoothness and coherence are easier to reach when we've got one person leading the way.

All I'm saying is, this show didn't appear on its own, and it might require a little bit of magic to make it happen again. :bedeyes:

Kay, I'm just saying she's not the only one capable of doing so for this franchise or any other and she hasn't been involved in this show for quite a while.

@ConcorDisparate

I would rather it be someone who was a big fan of what the series is rather than someone upset with it and wants to make great changes. There is already an established lore here, you're building on top of it.

My Little Pony is very ah...disjointed when it comes to its built up lore. Seems things get torn down and rebuilt every gen with nods here and there. It seems to be that way with a lot of Hasbro's properties come to think of it. Edited by Leave a Whisper
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

@@Leave a Whisper,

I understand, sorry if you thought I was idolizing her :), I just happened to read about her contribution only recently, I should have been more careful >_> .

@@Slashy,

Just like you, there are things that I hope to leave untouched, and I don't want big changes : the art style for example. But while we're building on top of it, we might have to revive the flame if we don't want to enter in the age of darkne... Wait, that's Dark Souls. What I meant is, we don't want it to fade, and what's better than new ideas and some well-thought and inspired changes ? :P

Edited by ConcorDisparate

As long as they stay far away from the mane six and move onto other characters

Is that a thing that My Little Pony does? It seems to me that each generation includes mostly the same characters, just reincarnations of them. Like Rainbow Dash. I assume that the next gen would also include the continuing characters from Friendship is Magic, hopefully Twilight primarily who I think is the only one who originated in the fourth gen.

This would be a really cool idea! I'd like to see it be from a 'regular' ponies POV... Maybe Pound and Pumpkin Cake or Flurry Heart as they are children? It'd be super cute! 

Leave a Whisper, on 02 May 2016 - 07:51 AM, said:

No, I prefer new gens. Sure there will always be ones that aren't very good, but there will also be great ones. It breathes new life into the franchise, introduces new characters and makes callbacks to older ones.

A series should never run on too long.

Why should a series not run on too long? I know people say don't crash hit the brakes when you can and stuff but, even if they crash we still have nostalgia for when it was good and a crash I don't think would take that from us. Then you see Pokémon going on for ages, you see Simpsons going on for ages, why would something like MLP not? We don't see a Simpsons spin off, we might have Pokémon spin offs but its not a new gen technically, Ash still exists. When you have hype why let it die down? You gotta keep the train going, cancelling this series is as good as shooting themselves in the foot, and with more than one writer they can keep each other's bad ideas in check, and even Season 3 never killed the series off because it still had decent music and lore. I mean sure its not going to be how season 1 was, its going to keep changing a little in theme. But what would a gen 5 act like anyways?  How would it appeal to their long term fans? And if the kids grow up becoming long term fans who were raised with MLP, why would they suddenly care about new incarnations of the MLP character? Who is to say they wouldn't move on then? And you see the intense pandering of the recent Star Wars movie to older fans kinda while also adding fresh stuff. They know to keep their stuff together, not create some new spin off starwars thatd only be as good as any other lame space conflict.

Anyone who thinks MLP FIM should stop is basically dumping all their new fans and gambling on producing a gen that's at least as good as what they have now. I doubt they have the confidence too judging from their previous gens. They are going to pander, and some fans may be alienated from some changes, but that's already been happening. I think if this series dies it'll be a slow death and their products will decline in sales and stuff. Also what if they fear throwing it all away, just to create some mediocre show after? They might look on the good times when their product actually meant something. Even the dregs of this franchise is better than the older direction they were headed.

But its also true that, maybe they could make an even better series, but its doubtful. You know how Eminem said it you got one shot don't miss your chance. If they throw it away they are going to know how it'll go. It'd be back to essentially new transformer series but for mlp. Transformers was good once upon a time, I guess people did eventually grow out of it. http://www.retrojunk.com/article/show/1556/great-shows-transformers-g1 ending the line was what killed the series and its sorta evident because first off, no one is still watching the show or its spin-offs significantly.

Why should a series not run on too long? I know people say don't crash hit the brakes when you can and stuff but, even if they crash we still have nostalgia for when it was good and a crash I don't think would take that from us. Then you see Pokémon going on for ages, you see Simpsons going on for ages, why would something like MLP not? We don't see a Simpsons spin off, we might have Pokémon spin offs but its not a new gen technically, Ash still exists. When you have hype why let it die down? You gotta keep the train going, cancelling this series is as good as shooting themselves in the foot, and with more than one writer they can keep each other's bad ideas in check, and even Season 3 never killed the series off because it still had decent music and lore. I mean sure its not going to be how season 1 was, its going to keep changing a little in theme. But what would a gen 5 act like anyways?  How would it appeal to their long term fans? And if the kids grow up becoming long term fans who were raised with MLP, why would they suddenly care about new incarnations of the MLP character? Who is to say they wouldn't move on then? And you see the intense pandering of the recent Star Wars movie to older fans kinda while also adding fresh stuff. They know to keep their stuff together, not create some new spin off starwars thatd only be as good as any other lame space conflict.

Anyone who thinks MLP FIM should stop is basically dumping all their new fans and gambling on producing a gen that's at least as good as what they have now. I doubt they have the confidence too judging from their previous gens. They are going to pander, and some fans may be alienated from some changes, but that's already been happening. I think if this series dies it'll be a slow death and their products will decline in sales and stuff. Also what if they fear throwing it all away, just to create some mediocre show after? They might look on the good times when their product actually meant something. Even the dregs of this franchise is better than the older direction they were headed.

But its also true that, maybe they could make an even better series, but its doubtful. You know how Eminem said it you got one shot don't miss your chance. If they throw it away they are going to know how it'll go. It'd be back to essentially new transformer series but for mlp. Transformers was good once upon a time, I guess people did eventually grow out of it. http://www.retrojunk.com/article/show/1556/great-shows-transformers-g1 ending the line was what killed the series and its sorta evident because first off, no one is still watching the show or its spin-offs significantly.

Because it becomes tiresome and boring. That's why the best series don't drag on. They know when to stop.

(edited)
Leave a Whisper, on 03 May 2016 - 7:46 PM, said:Leave a Whisper, on 03 May 2016 - 7:46 PM, said:Leave a Whisper, on 03 May 2016 - 7:46 PM, said:

Because it becomes tiresome and boring. That's why the best series don't drag on. They know when to stop.

Yugioh's lore is still built up from previous seasons rather than say inventing a new card game each series. So I think itd be a spin-off not a rework. Same with Pokémon. Same with Simpsons. Even if the audience changes, they can still gather new audience to support them so while it can get boring for some in their opinions, for others they will still find enjoyment in it. And judging from the other fictions I've looked at reworks tend to do worse than spin-offs or simple continuation. Though I haven't looked thoroughly sure. But lets say for movies also, Die Hard everyone loves Bruce Willis. If they made Die Hard have a different protagonist every time, its not going to hold old fans and its a sequel suggesting fans should be watching it in the first place. When we see movie throwbacks they always reference their best generation. Marvel doesn't reinvent universes they rehash old ones. Harry Potter is the same deal.

They have nothing to lose if they drag on and plenty of series when they try and reinvent a world tend to be less popular than adding to the lore of the world.

Edited by Lil Pip