Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

health Do you suffer from anxiety?

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

• 1 month later...
On 9/30/2017 at 7:05 AM, Mirage said:

Look, I really find it hard to believe there is such a thing as 'anxiety disorder' as if it is like a disease or deformity one can't do anything about

I'm going to try and not bite your head off. However you have no clue what you are talking about. Please refrain from throwing platitudes and quotes from third rate bands at people expecting it to solve all their lifes problems. You do not believe in anxiety disorders because you do not HAVE an anxiety disorder. Some people, like yourself, have the unfortunate affliction of not being able to see things beyond their own experience. If you've never experienced the crippling nature of true clinical anxiety, or depression for that matter, then you aren't going to ever fully understand it. However, what you CAN do is research it and learn about it and stop assuming that people are making excuses for themselves. Because we certainly aren't.

I fight with my anxiety every day. Despite being relatively smart, I can barely function in any job with a high stress environment. I cannot drive a vehicle because of the panic attacks I have behind the wheel. I could quite literally kill someone if I drove because I freeze and become unresponsive. One accident I had apparently required me to be peeled away from the steering wheel. I say apparently because I do not fully recall what happened. This is just a SPECK of the kind of shit I deal with in my life because of clinical anxiety. It is not something you can motivational speech away, it is something wrong with how my brain operates. If I could turn it off with a jazzy motivational speech, I would have done it by now, because it has been nothing but devastating for my life. 

People like you, who refuse to actually learn about the things they "don't believe in," only make it harder for people like me to get help and support. You are NOT helping. 

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 9:05 AM, Mirage said:

@TheTopic

Look, I really find it hard to believe there is such a thing as 'anxiety disorder' as if it is like a disease or deformity one can't do anything about. Anxiety, like I and others have been pointing out, is a behavior pattern. It is a behavior that you can overcome simply by not doing it - or at the very least, reframing your perception of the discomfort.

If as human beings we can't adjust our behavior then there is simply no meaning whatsoever to education, punishment, social adjustment or even entertainment. Obviously, such a notion is absurd, which means we do have control over most of what we think. Consider all of the media out there, all the propaganda to change the way we think. Propaganda works, that is why it is everywhere. So consider this - if music and movies and memes and ads and monologues by celebrities can influence people - then you can influence yourself by changing your thought patterns. Your mind is designed to learn, to change and to adjust. You are not stuck in your behaviors.

"I created my own prison." - Creed

Very simply - stress is a natural response to risk and danger. All animals have this response. That's why deer run like hell and dog bark and growl. Anxiety however, is the mind going into a feedback loop of worry over feeling that way in the first place. Doesn't that sound silly? It should, because it is. Anxiety is an illusion. It is an addiction to non-action, even laziness or fear. Stress is uncomfortable enough - but to dwell on it - over and over and tell yourself completely false information that paralyzes you and causes you to worry even more - this is preventable tragedy of a beautiful mind.

Try this vid for instance. It's pretty short, but hopefully it will help some of you realize some things about how you think.

Thanks for demonizing half of the forum.

Edited by Nerdy Luigi

On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 2:13 AM, Yakamaru said:

Ye, I have social anxiety. Though it's pretty mild compared to other people, and it's slowly dying through force of will and the incredible support I get from my colleagues.

Now, some background/important info before getting to my situation:

I hate people in general. I have huge trust issues, not to mention being around other people drain my energy. The more people the faster my energy gets drained. I have Aspergers too, which makes it no easier to understand people. In fact, it's a fucking pain in the ass to put myself in someone elses shoes. I have problems keeping eye contact for extended periods. It's just too damn AWKWARD. I am also a B-person, aka someone who will not do any human contact unless it's needed, or more rarely, wanted. In other words, an introvert, basically.

I do however, almost always give people the benefit of the doubt. To prove whether or not they are worthy to stick around with. So far, It's sitting at a 90% rate of success(yes, my "people senses" can be wrong). It's solved through conversation in the vast majority of cases. I can quite easily see how someone are based upon topics, how they react to certain ideas/topics, etc.

It's easy to avoid/ignore people for me. I usually always have my headset on my ears with music. Makes it easy to focus on where I am going, what I will be doing there, and for how long I will be there.

Now, onto my situation:

I have work practice at an electronics store, in a support department. I've been there for 17 weeks now(this is my 17th), and will continue for now until the 23rd of December. Customer contact for Isac and I are meant to be tertiary, but it very often becomes primary due to the two others being either busy with other shit or done for the day. The two of us are meant to be in the back, preparing laptops, transferring people's garbage from old to new phone(iPhones too. And boy does EVERYONE hate Apple and their shit), checking out and repairing(if possible) used wares, and other stuff. On contract, I am meant to be present from 15.00 to 20.00 on Tuesdays to Thursdays, 15 hours a week. Considering I will have to pretty much waste an hour from 14.00 to 15.00 due to the train arriving at the city at 13.00, I decided to just say "Fuck it. Just fuck it", and give them one extra hour a day, to 6 hours a day, 18 hours a week.

Now, here's the thing: Never in my entire frickin' life did I ever imagine working in a god damn store sellin' and fixing shit, let alone have this level of contact with people. A bit of ergophobia isn't fun either, though that one's mild too. It's going to take a little while to explain, so please bare with me. I guess I should start at the beginning.

At first, I didn't have much customer contact. I had more of a supportive role, doing small talk with customers so they others could finish their stuff. I were being taught what we're doing, how we do it, and in what order. It was pretty easy, but the anxiety were knocking on the door. I've only had two "attacks" when it comes to my anxiety these past 17 weeks. Quite honestly, I'd expect a lot more. In a way, I'm glad I had them. Both times I took the day after off in order to think, ponder, wonder and just.. Feel as much as possible on the issues. And ask questions. Lots of questions. Why do I feel like this? Why did I react like that? What can I do in order to reduce/lessen the anxiety? Should I just be honest and say I may need help, or grow some balls and do this on my own? I consider myself a logical and thinking being, with feelings and emotions coming as second.

Time slowly went by, and I got slowly more accustomed to sudden customers in need of help. First anxiety attack came in a rather obvious way. Way too much customer contact and just sheer pressure from customers pretty much just made me crack for a day, not to mention standing there incredibly awkwardly, alone, and without the knowledge to do my job. It's.. Awkward, not to mention insane levels of pressure on you to do a job where your knowledge and understanding is lacking. The second attack came abruptly and completely took me by surprise. Again I took the next day off. This one were milder, but still strong enough for my emotional state to be unstable enough for the day. After that one it really allowed me to dig deeper into my emotional and psychological states. The day after I were considering implementing a couple of ideas I had of combating this shit. But alas, I didn't need to. I guess I met the right customers the day after. Spent half an hour just.. Talking. About World War II. The customers' grandfather fought in the war during the occupation of Norway, fighting the Germans however he could. Was fun, listening to the stories. We also ended up talking about technologies used, the German magnetic mines used to royally screw over the Royal British fleet, the German stealth fighter designs at the end of the war, etc. For once, just once, I thought "...Customer contact ain't so bad. It's damn FUN". The next customer weren't so different either, but we only talked for about 5 minutes as we sorted out her phone. Damn charming and friendly older lady who for some reason came back the day after. Heard she asked about me for some reason. I honestly have no fucking clue why.

After she had left, I had some time for myself to do what I am supposed to be doing. About like 10 minutes before closing, an older couple came in, royally pissed. Pissed because they wouldn't be able to watch the football match between I think Germany and France or something, but the TV were being a moron. Rule number one: Always blame the customer unless there are problems with the hardware/software. So I just calmly asked what's wrong with the TV, plugged it in, and they had set it to the wrong fucking input on the TV(go figure why I always apply Rule number 1 xD). I went over how to change inputs in an easy to understand manner, allowing them both to do it as well. I told them "If these instructions doesn't work, I will personally find a recording of the match and hand it to you on your doorstep on a DVD in 4k HD. If everything is in place, it's only a matter of changing to the correct input. After that, it's just a matter of changing channels on your decoder". Their red faces turned to slight smiles, then to full smiles as we talked some more on what they might have done to change the input settings. Ended up spending the rest of the time left talking about airplanes, as the older guy is a huge plane enthusiast. Since then I have no longer had negative thoughts about customer contact. It's either been neutral or positive. I will judge AFTER I've dealt with the customer, and on an individual basis. And the vast majority are positive responses. I have more positive thoughts than negative. In fact, I'd say I barely have any negative thoughts at all now. At worst now, it's just "...meh".

By working there I am pretty much beating the everliving shit out of my anxiety directly with a baseball bat. Jumping straight into the fray with all my guts. I have no intention of letting this shit control or even be able to manipulate my life. I want to be in full control of my emotional and psychological state. For me at least, it has worked wonders to jump straight into it, pushing my limits every day. You have no idea how much relief I am feeling now, considering how I were only back in May. I am against using anti-depressants and/or other medication to change moods/body chemistry, as it will often fuck up how you perceive the world and how you interact with it. I want to interact and deal with it in a clear-minded way, no matter how harsh it may be. Having a clear mind is important.

For me and for me alone, it works to deal with the problem directly, by jumping straight into it. I won't say it will work for anyone else. Everyone are different, and anxieties can and will be different. If you try out a more direct approach and it works, good for you. You should always try different options and ways, see which one(s) are best for you.

TL;DR: I beat my anxiety with a baseball bat. How cool is that?

Lol, I didn t think that you have asperger syndrome O.o

• Brohoof 1

11 hours ago, Buck Testa said:

I'm going to try and not bite your head off. However you have no clue what you are talking about. Please refrain from throwing platitudes and quotes from third rate bands at people expecting it to solve all their lifes problems. You do not believe in anxiety disorders because you do not HAVE an anxiety disorder. Some people, like yourself, have the unfortunate affliction of not being able to see things beyond their own experience. If you've never experienced the crippling nature of true clinical anxiety, or depression for that matter, then you aren't going to ever fully understand it. However, what you CAN do is research it and learn about it and stop assuming that people are making excuses for themselves. Because we certainly aren't.

I fight with my anxiety every day. Despite being relatively smart, I can barely function in any job with a high stress environment. I cannot drive a vehicle because of the panic attacks I have behind the wheel. I could quite literally kill someone if I drove because I freeze and become unresponsive. One accident I had apparently required me to be peeled away from the steering wheel. I say apparently because I do not fully recall what happened. This is just a SPECK of the kind of shit I deal with in my life because of clinical anxiety. It is not something you can motivational speech away, it is something wrong with how my brain operates. If I could turn it off with a jazzy motivational speech, I would have done it by now, because it has been nothing but devastating for my life. 

People like you, who refuse to actually learn about the things they "don't believe in," only make it harder for people like me to get help and support. You are NOT helping. 

But you really don't know what I've been through do you? All that and you basically agree with me! I even posted a link to a video of an expert on the subject. All I am trying to show is that the information out there points to controlling your own behavior. You control your behavior by controlling what you think - especially your pattern of thinking. I was able to conquer my own very serious and damaging anxiety by research, as you suggested, because drugs didn't help. I have to work hard everyday myself to keep from slipping back into the swamp of my own hell. But you know, everyone is different right? And we're all at different stages of growth. However, which is more helpful? Being positive or negative about your obstacles?

So what is the noble response to someone seeking help with anxiety?

9 hours ago, Nerdy Luigi said:

Thanks for demonizing half of the forum.

What do you mean? Why would you accuse me of that?

2 minutes ago, Mirage said:

But you really don't know what I've been through do you? All that and you basically agree with me! All I am trying to show is that the information out there points to controlling your own behavior. You control your behavior by controlling what you think - especially your pattern of thinking. I was able to conquer my own very serious and damaging anxiety by research, as you suggested, because drugs didn't help. I have to work hard everyday myself to keep from slipping back into the swamp of my own hell. But you know, everyone is different right? And we're all at different stages of growth. However, which is more helpful? Being positive or negative about your obstacles?

So what is the noble response to someone seeking help with anxiety?

Pretending like a problem isn't real is not being positive. Your platitudes from earlier do not address chemical imbalances and other physical problems that are the cause psychological disorders like Clinical anxiety and depression. It is woefully dangerous and irresponsible to tell people that it's just a matter of "you not trying hard enough" when you could end up turning them away from things that could actually work. If you were to tell this to the wrong person you could get them killed, it's that serious. If someone with things wrong with their brain chemistry tried your approach and still were unable to turn it around, they would fall into even deeper despair and anxiety and may even take their own life. That is why your best course of action would be to direct them to a professional who could gauge whether they need therapy and motivation, medication, or a combination of the two. One size does not and will not fit all. 

If you did have anxiety problems and worked through it that way, great. However your experience is not the answer for everyone. 

16 minutes ago, Buck Testa said:

Pretending like a problem isn't real is not being positive. Your platitudes from earlier do not address chemical imbalances and other physical problems that are the cause psychological disorders like Clinical anxiety and depression. It is woefully dangerous and irresponsible to tell people that it's just a matter of "you not trying hard enough" when you could end up turning them away from things that could actually work. If you were to tell this to the wrong person you could get them killed, it's that serious. If someone with things wrong with their brain chemistry tried your approach and still were unable to turn it around, they would fall into even deeper despair and anxiety and may even take their own life. That is why your best course of action would be to direct them to a professional who could gauge whether they need therapy and motivation, medication, or a combination of the two. One size does not and will not fit all. 

If you did have anxiety problems and worked through it that way, great. However your experience is not the answer for everyone. 

And neither is yours.

If 'go see a doctor' was the only acceptable response, then 1) we wouldn't be talking about it and 2) we shouldn't be talking about it.

The nature of 'clinical' anxiety and depression is way and by far up for discussion. It is not a solved puzzle and you shouldn't be attacking people who differ in opinion of yours. For I could claim the same - insisting that one seek drugs for a behavior problem also leads to death and misery - in fact, it's guaranteed.

4 hours ago, Mirage said:

And neither is yours.

If 'go see a doctor' was the only acceptable response

It IS the only acceptable response. They are medical professionals who studied this stuff for years, you are someone who watched some motivational tapes. You are not qualified to tell people what is the best course of action for their lives (beyond directing them to people who are), and it is extremely dangerous for you to believe that you are. 

As for your point of "we wouldn't be talking about it." That is a bullshit argument. There is a culture of anti intellectual, anti science rhetoric that permeates alarming swathes of civilization because of ignorance and fear of what people do not understand. Religious nuts, conspiracy theorists, you name it, they gawk at the idea of a doctor helping someone with their mental health. 

4 hours ago, Mirage said:

For I could claim the same - insisting that one seek drugs for a behavior problem also leads to death and misery - in fact, it's guaranteed.

Confirming even further that people like you are alarmingly dangerous to people's mental health. 

• Brohoof 1

I used to have pretty bad anxiety a few years back. I used to worry how people viewed me and everything but that's all changed. However, I still get mildly anxious about feeling alone (not physically alone but mentally). 

1 hour ago, Buck Testa said:

It IS the only acceptable response. They are medical professionals who studied this stuff for years, you are someone who watched some motivational tapes. You are not qualified to tell people what is the best course of action for their lives (beyond directing them to people who are), and it is extremely dangerous for you to believe that you are. 

As for your point of "we wouldn't be talking about it." That is a bullshit argument. There is a culture of anti intellectual, anti science rhetoric that permeates alarming swathes of civilization because of ignorance and fear of what people do not understand. Religious nuts, conspiracy theorists, you name it, they gawk at the idea of a doctor helping someone with their mental health. 

Confirming even further that people like you are alarmingly dangerous to people's mental health. 

There is not a single case of drug curing mental illness. Not a single one. There is no therapy to make someone 'happy' and 'whole'. The science is clearly on my side here - mental health begins and ends with the will to make healthy choices. Healthy choices are made easier with love, caring and healthy lifestyle (no drugs). That is the evidence - hands down. If you would have bothered to watch the video you would have seen that there is LOADS of science that supports my advice on this.

I am a naturalist for a reason. Doctors almost killed my wife. Doctors destroyed my mother with Serotonin uptake inhibitors. My grandmother was permanently disabled by a misdiagnosis. Doctors are not gods. They are as opinionated as anyone. And they DO make mistakes that cost lives and well being. So don't go preaching to me about your wizards of poisons and dissecting - I don't believe they have all the answers. Ever call a suicide hotline? Guess what - you don't talk to a doctor.

People who are sad, depressed, lonely and anxious need friends. And good ones at that - even if it's a volunteer at the end of a phone line.

Your accusations are outrageous and unnecessary. For you to imply that a discussion forum should not be permitted because opinions, sharing materials and experiences is dangerous is the epitome of encouraging ignorance. If anyone is posting here for advice, then they should expect to receive feedback. If someone needs help, they can see a doctor - no one is preventing such a thing. Otherwise, we can exchange ideas and make judgments and we should be free to do so without being bullied about it.

The interesting thing about your behavior is that you are dead set on discrediting me on a public forum in front of our peers. Whats is the purpose of putting me on the spot? What if I was manic depressed and didn't know it and took all this to heart? What if I felt this was a rejection of the MLP forum? What if I felt unlikable? Stupid? What if I felt so bad I lost my own will to live? You're certainly not trying to make me feel good are you?

So would you like to compare the statistics and science then? Would you like to compare iatrogenic deaths with forum discussions?

I'm all for a scientific discussion when you're ready buddy. 

2 hours ago, Twisted Cyclone said:

I used to have pretty bad anxiety a few years back. I used to worry how people viewed me and everything but that's all changed. However, I still get mildly anxious about feeling alone (not physically alone but mentally). 

How did you overcome?

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Mirage said:

There is not a single case of drug curing mental illness. Not a single one. There is no therapy to make someone 'happy' and 'whole'. The science is clearly on my side here - mental health begins and ends with the will to make healthy choices. Healthy choices are made easier with love, caring and healthy lifestyle (no drugs). That is the evidence - hands down. If you would have bothered to watch the video you would have seen that there is LOADS of science that supports my advice on this.

I am a naturalist for a reason. Doctors almost killed my wife. Doctors destroyed my mother with Serotonin uptake inhibitors. My grandmother was permanently disabled by a misdiagnosis. Doctors are not gods. They are as opinionated as anyone. And they DO make mistakes that cost lives and well being. So don't go preaching to me about your wizards of poisons and dissecting - I don't believe they have all the answers. Ever call a suicide hotline? Guess what - you don't talk to a doctor.

People who are sad, depressed, lonely and anxious need friends. And good ones at that - even if it's a volunteer at the end of a phone line.

Your accusations are outrageous and unnecessary. For you to imply that a discussion forum should not be permitted because opinions, sharing materials and experiences is dangerous is the epitome of encouraging ignorance. If anyone is posting here for advice, then they should expect to receive feedback. If someone needs help, they can see a doctor - no one is preventing such a thing. Otherwise, we can exchange ideas and make judgments and we should be free to do so without being bullied about it.

The interesting thing about your behavior is that you are dead set on discrediting me on a public forum in front of our peers. Whats is the purpose of putting me on the spot? What if I was manic depressed and didn't know it and took all this to heart? What if I felt this was a rejection of the MLP forum? What if I felt unlikable? Stupid? What if I felt so bad I lost my own will to live? You're certainly not trying to make me feel good are you?

So would you like to compare the statistics and science then? Would you like to compare iatrogenic deaths with forum discussions?

How did you overcome?

I just simply stopped caring and giving a dang about what others think of me and continue to live life how I want to. I know who my real friends are and everything. 

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Mirage said:

Way to validate EVERY point I made and more. The fact that you cannot look at science through any other lense but religious explains your disdain for it. Just like with Atheism, Science does not pretend to be something it isn't. It does not pretend to be your magical fairy answer to all your problems. It is a rational, realistic answer, and that scares people who do not want to look at the world for what it is. Doctors not being perfect magical beings is not a valid condemnation of the medical profession. To think otherwise only shows me what fairy land your head is in. 

And don't even get me STARTED on this Naturalist/anti doctor nonsense. The backlog of articles about children who died from preventable diseases because their parents believe that doctors are evil are just sickening. Not only are they putting themselves in danger by living in the 15th century in terms of medicine, but they are criminally neglecting their children by forcing them to participate in their madness. I suppose you also believe Vaccines are also evil yes? Why not right, it's not like the Doctors are infallible? 

This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say what you are talking about is dangerous. Your limited interaction with the medical profession and things that have regrettably gone wrong has made you believe the whole thing is evil. That's just not how things work. Doctors are there to help you, and they are the best qualified to figure out how to help you. They do make mistakes, and they are human, but they are still better for the job than a regular joe who ALSO makes mistakes and are human. 

1 hour ago, Mirage said:

I'll be happy to oblige after you stop referring to doctors as literal wizards.  

I really didn't want to bite your head off at the start of this. I really didn't. However when it comes to literal life or death issues I cannot let misinformation slide. Hopefully mods will see that. For now I'm stepping out of this before it derails the topic entirely. 

Edited by Buck Testa
  • Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, Yakamaru said:

You didn't think that? How so? :D

I know a few people with asperger syndrome, you just don't seem to be like them, you seem quite normal to me tbh. To be fair, I don't know you that well, I'am just judging from posts I saw from you.

• Brohoof 1

18 hours ago, Mirage said:

What do you mean? Why would you accuse me of that?

You don't know what you wrote? I even BOLDED IT FOR YOU. You literally attacked EVERYONE on this forum that has an anxiety disorder and acted like it was their problem.

10 hours ago, Br O N Y said:

I know a few people with asperger syndrome, you just don't seem to be like them, you seem quite normal to me tbh. To be fair, I don't know you that well, I'am just judging from posts I saw from you.

Heh. What kind of people with Asperger's have you met? The "I don't understand people so I will be awkward, hit on people in weirdass ways and use my Autism as a crutch" type? :P

Edited by Yakamaru
  • Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, Nerdy Luigi said:

You don't know what you wrote? I even BOLDED IT FOR YOU. You literally attacked EVERYONE on this forum that has an anxiety disorder and acted like it was their problem.

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/anxiety-disorders/index.shtml

I said it was a 'preventable tragedy of a beautiful mind' in my conclusion. That is not an attack - that is an acknowledgement of your own power and intelligence as a human being. Do you not have the power to change your mind? Unless you a clinically disabled, and in effect, no longer have a psychological disorder but a physiological one, then you can most certainly change your life for the better.

I'm sorry - I must reject your claim that I was attacking anyone by summarizing what psychologists generally agree about the condition.

Not all cases of anxiety are treated with drugs - nor should they be. It starts with self-examination and becoming aware of your own thinking patterns and what feelings are and are not. We cannot control feelings, but we can control how we react to them. That is the basic gist of what I was saying - which is in comfortable agreement with the medical community.

19 hours ago, Buck Testa said:

Way to validate EVERY point I made and more. The fact that you cannot look at science through any other lense but religious explains your disdain for it. Just like with Atheism, Science does not pretend to be something it isn't. It does not pretend to be your magical fairy answer to all your problems. It is a rational, realistic answer, and that scares people who do not want to look at the world for what it is. Doctors not being perfect magical beings is not a valid condemnation of the medical profession. To think otherwise only shows me what fairy land your head is in. 

And don't even get me STARTED on this Naturalist/anti doctor nonsense. The backlog of articles about children who died from preventable diseases because their parents believe that doctors are evil are just sickening. Not only are they putting themselves in danger by living in the 15th century in terms of medicine, but they are criminally neglecting their children by forcing them to participate in their madness. I suppose you also believe Vaccines are also evil yes? Why not right, it's not like the Doctors are infallible? 

This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say what you are talking about is dangerous. Your limited interaction with the medical profession and things that have regrettably gone wrong has made you believe the whole thing is evil. That's just not how things work. Doctors are there to help you, and they are the best qualified to figure out how to help you. They do make mistakes, and they are human, but they are still better for the job than a regular joe who ALSO makes mistakes and are human. 

I'll be happy to oblige after you stop referring to doctors as literal wizards.  

I really didn't want to bite your head off at the start of this. I really didn't. However when it comes to literal life or death issues I cannot let misinformation slide. Hopefully mods will see that. For now I'm stepping out of this before it derails the topic entirely. 

Look man, I mean no harm. I can see that you are getting quite worked up about this so we can just drop it.

1 hour ago, Mirage said:

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/anxiety-disorders/index.shtml

I said it was a 'preventable tragedy of a beautiful mind' in my conclusion. That is not an attack - that is an acknowledgement of your own power and intelligence as a human being. Do you not have the power to change your mind? Unless you a clinically disabled, and in effect, no longer have a psychological disorder but a physiological one, then you can most certainly change your life for the better.

I'm sorry - I must reject your claim that I was attacking anyone by summarizing what psychologists generally agree about the condition.

Not all cases of anxiety are treated with drugs - nor should they be. It starts with self-examination and becoming aware of your own thinking patterns and what feelings are and are not. We cannot control feelings, but we can control how we react to them. That is the basic gist of what I was saying - which is in comfortable agreement with the medical community.

First paragraph is a pretty obvious deflection.

Second and third are clearly not based on your source because your source says that anxiety disorders exist and that's exactly what you're trying to say isn't true with these two paragraphs. I still maintain it was an attack, and your attempt to frame it as something else really isn't working for you here.

I have been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder so yes, I know exactly what you're saying. Medication, therapy, and hard emotional work have brought me a long way. It used to be so terrible... sometimes I cry when I just think about it because I'm so scared to revert back to that state. You should really try what I said before, or at least one thing. I wish you the best of luck.

1 hour ago, Nerdy Luigi said:

First paragraph is a pretty obvious deflection.

Second and third are clearly not based on your source because your source says that anxiety disorders exist and that's exactly what you're trying to say isn't true with these two paragraphs. I still maintain it was an attack, and your attempt to frame it as something else really isn't working for you here.

You're simply wrong about my intentions. What the hell would be my motive to attack people about a problem I have had to deal with my whole life?

I don't believe in an anxiety disorder in the sense that 'there isn't anything I can do about it so I have to take drugs or blame everything else for me behavior'. Then I provided examples to support it along with a commentary by an expert.

This is what I actually said, 'Look, I really find it hard to believe there is such a thing as 'anxiety disorder' as if it is like a disease or deformity one can't do anything about. Anxiety, like I and others have been pointing out, is a behavior pattern. It is a behavior that you can overcome simply by not doing it - or at the very least, reframing your perception of the discomfort."

If doctors recommend group therapy, self-help, facing your fears, meditation and the like then an individual can do something about it.

This thread is not about psychosis and medical examinations - it's titled 'anxiety problems'. We all experience it, some more than others. But in most cases it can be prevented by education and talking about it openly and politely.

So please stop attacking me over trying to help other people that I do care about.

• Brohoof 1

Do I! I haven't left my house in over three days! Well, walks and the sort and I'm lookin' into things to do, like a job, but the point still stands. I've got crippling depression! 

Used to be I couldn't go a week without the stress building up to a mental breakdown where I had to go for a laydown! Funny how that's petered off. Still dealing with stress, but I haven't buckled yet from it. It takes getting used to.

I for one am glad I have my fears, my weaknesses! I feel it helps me get a better grasp on the kind of being I am, builds me into a better character! 

I'm glad I'm sad! It gives me something to build on!