Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

No ponies IRL in the dA group?

Dragonshy

Now I was on the deviantART group page yesterday night and noticed that a ponies in real life photo had been added to the gallery. I got confused. Only because in the rules it says they are not allowed. Now I didn't make this to try to get it removed, I think that since it's already in the gallery it should stay. So I have two questions: Are ponies IRL photos allowed? If they aren't, why are they not allowed?

Now I don't know if it's seen that these are easy, because they aren't. There is an exception though, the products in my "Ponies IRL Requests" sometimes aren't the best, and I say they will be done in the quickest manner possible in the original post. But the ones that I would be posting to dA would be ones that I had taken a lot of time in making.

This is an example of one that took quite a bit of time, and you can still see very minor flaws. 2 hours to find the arms, find the head, vector one of the arms, crop it in, shade it, and blur it in the appropriate spots.

Posted Image

Another example.

From what I heard, marco23p put a lot of time in it, and its outcome is outstanding:

Posted Image

Are ponies IRL photos allowed? If they aren't, why are they not allowed?

Edited by Dragonshy
  • Brohoof 2

It's a MLP group, and those are art with MLP influence. I don't see the issue here.

Of course they should be allowed.

I can't speak for the group in question, but a lot of art groups I watch on DA have rules that only 100% original artwork is accepted. Anything involving manipulating existing images is rejected. So the the screen grab in the first pic above, and the dream bubble in the second, would be enough ti reject it, no matter how good the rest of the work is.

I can't speak for the group in question, but a lot of art groups I watch on DA have rules that only 100% original artwork is accepted. Anything involving manipulating existing images is rejected. So the the screen grab in the first pic above, and the dream bubble in the second, would be enough ti reject it, no matter how good the rest of the work is.

Well, whole MLP group has based their art on "stolen" IP anyway.

Kinda makes that "100% original" clause void.

Still, no-one want's to see DA devolve into FunnyJunk2.

That's why the group has moderators and accepts only proven artists, right?

Plus groups got huge commenting user-base, use the most commonly accepted limit of quality to set limits.

Case by case.

Imposing a hard limit seems fun-kay.

From the two examples provided, I'd say case one is no-go as it is more of a reaction image than art.

Second actually "feels" more artsy.

There was some saying about how art cannot be defined.