Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

2017 movie Most likely poor box office? Evidence.

TheMarkz0ne

Given how if you're not a Disney movie, you're movie is either going to fall into these categories.

1.) Performed modestly, it made more than it's budget, an actual profit.. Something like Creed, which got under $90 million, but is considered a financial and critical success.

2.) Your Batman v Superman movies... Warner brothers makes under $300 million, and everyone gives them bad reviews because Iron Man or Captain America aren't in it. 

3.) Absolute failure like the Ratchet and Clank movie. A movie faithful to the source material, made by people who care about the product... But it's not Pixar or Disney CGI so it is garbage. 

Digressing to avoid making this entirely an anti-disney thread(kind of is) I am making points as to why the MLP movie will not make much money and will get bad reviews from critics based on the fact it isn't the same routine. The routine for the box office is your 6+ super hero movies per year, the Disney ones get financial and critical dominance, the other studios get average or poor performance. 

If something like Ratchet and Clank, a fan base greater than MLP bombed, how can MLP even dream to make at least $10 million and get the review scores?

If something like Ratchet and Clank, a fan base greater than MLP bombed, how can MLP even dream to make at least $10 million and get the review scores?

You're comparing apples and oranges there.  Films based on computer games have a long history of tanking at the box office, it's nothing to do with the fact that they aren't Disney films and everything to do with the fact they are by-and-large, just downright awful (with a very few exceptions, eg. Silent Hill).

Also, there are other animation studios that have enjoyed great success both critically, and at the box office, Dreamworks being the most obvious example, Disney does not hold a monopoly on good or successful animated films by any stretch of the imagination.

None of the above means that MLP will enjoy great success of course, it is after all a TV to film jump, which is aimed at a fairly narrow audience, it's most likely going to be a limited release, and probably will not draw hordes of viewers that have never been interested in MLP previously.  It will quite possibly get marked down by critics for a lack of mainstream appeal but the real test for it will be whether or not it makes its money.

• Brohoof 5

You're comparing apples and oranges there.  Films based on computer games have a long history of tanking at the box office, it's nothing to do with the fact that they aren't Disney films and everything to do with the fact they are by-and-large, just downright awful (with a very few exceptions, eg. Silent Hill).

Also, there are other animation studios that have enjoyed great success both critically, and at the box office, Dreamworks being the most obvious example, Disney does not hold a monopoly on good or successful animated films by any stretch of the imagination.

None of the above means that MLP will enjoy great success of course, it is after all a TV to film jump, which is aimed at a fairly narrow audience, it's most likely going to be a limited release, and probably will not draw hordes of viewers that have never been interested in MLP previously.  It will quite possibly get marked down by critics for a lack of mainstream appeal but the real test for it will be whether or not it makes its money.

Disney has an unfair monopoly... You're a company who owns Marvel, Lucasfilm and Pixar... That's $5 billion a year or more.. It is also the PG and PG13 market, which makes all the money. Dreamworks makes more than their budgets, but they don't have another Shrek type of movie.. They have How to Train Your Dragon, but you need more than one movie to compete. 

I want the MLP to be a success, but it is hard for other movies to get proper attention, whether good or bad.

Even with the evidence pointing to any of the possibilities presented, it's still uncertain if it will really be successful. Not that your points are invalid but I'll leave the movie to be praised or panned by viewers and critics when it comes out. Who knows? Maybe it will surpass expectations and maybe even get more attention drawn to the film. I share your sentiments about wanting the movie to be a success but it will take a lot in order for that to happen. 

• Brohoof 2

Disney has an unfair monopoly.

You may want to look up the word 'monopoly'.  Here's a link for you https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/monopoly

The key thing to note is the repeated use of the word 'exclusive'.  Disney has no exclusivity in the animated film industry.  Not only do you have Dreamworks but you also have Sony, Warner Bros, Blue Sky and Illumination to name but a mere four.

Disney are indeed the biggest player on the field, nobody is going to argue against that, but that is not the same as a monopoly.  Those other companies may not have the same quantity of output, but they have all released films that have garnered significant success, and been lauded by critics.

The success or otherwise of the MLP film will be governed by factors other than it not being a Disney film.  Although I hope for the best, I can't see it being a box office smash just because it is at the end of the day, a My Little Pony film, and no matter how good it is, It is going to have a hard time attracting a new audience, and most of people in the cinema are likely to be young girls with whichever parent drew the short straw, and a slack handful of bronies.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

You may want to look up the word 'monopoly'.  Here's a link for you https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/monopoly

The key thing to note is the repeated use of the word 'exclusive'.  Disney has no exclusivity in the animated film industry.  Not only do you have Dreamworks but you also have Sony, Warner Bros, Blue Sky and Illumination to name but a mere four.

Disney are indeed the biggest player on the field, nobody is going to argue against that, but that is not the same as a monopoly.  Those other companies may not have the same quantity of output, but they have all released films that have garnered significant success, and been lauded by critics.

The success or otherwise of the MLP film will be governed by factors other than it not being a Disney film.  Although I hope for the best, I can't see it being a box office smash just because it is at the end of the day, a My Little Pony film, and no matter how good it is, It is going to have a hard time attracting a new audience, and most of people in the cinema are likely to be young girls with whichever parent drew the short straw, and a slack handful of bronies.

When you play the board game monopoly, you're buying all th crucial assets to make you more income. When you own two corporations like Marvel and Lucasfilm, you're  assured financial success to the point where your competition cannot make more money. Sony, Fox and Warner Bros sure aren't making Disney's marks. If Warner Bros crapped out another 5 Harry Potter movies, then some financial competition would make sense. 

Edited by TheMarkz0ne

@@TheMarkz0ne, because you're discussing the upcoming film and not FIM, I moved your topic to the appropriate section.

As far as my opinion, you didn't mention successful films from Dreamworks. Non-Disney animation does well, but Hasbro needs to spend some advertising bucks. I saw one TV ad for Rachet and Clank, and that commercial didn't make me want to see it.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

You also need to look at historical examples of films made from children's cartoons.  Off the top of my head I can think of Hey Arnold, Rugrats, Spongebob Squarepants, The Wild Thornberrys and a few others.  The success of these sort of films is not judged by the same standards as films like How to Train your Dragon, Frozen, Zootropolis, Kung Fu Panda etc.

Films from cartoons are never expected to be huge box office smashes, they are usually on a limited release, and expected only to attract the already existing audience of the cartoon.  There needs to be some realistic management of expectations, the MLP film may very well be brilliant, but it will not in a million years attract (nor even be expected to attract) the kind of success expected from films like the Minion movie.

Edited by Concerned Bystander

I swear, it seems like you people want this movie to fail. I hear so much gloom before we have even a trailer like CALM DOWN. 

Also Disney 100% does not have a monopoly on animated films, not even close really. Think about Hotel Transylvania, How To train your dragon stuff, hell even spongebob stuff like that. Also I think it is worth pointing out again, this movie to Hasbro is more of an advertisement, it is no coincidence it is released right before Christmas. They use the hype for the movie to drive more toy sales and their investment is good.

• Brohoof 4

I thought the fact that the movie would be competing with X-Men Gambit and Blade Runner 2 would be enough to question how successful the 2017 movie would be.

I swear, it seems like you people want this movie to fail. I hear so much gloom before we have even a trailer like CALM DOWN.

The point that I'm trying to make is that this film is not going to be the film (or even the animated film) of 2017  to anyone that isn't an MLP fan.  If the MLP film makes a tenth of what Minions did, then it will be not only a success, but a phenomenal success.  Success for this film will look very different to what success would look like for a huge budget blockbuster.

I'm sure the film will be good, and I want it to be as successful as it can be, but lets be realistic, It isn't going to break any records on ticket sales.

Given how if you're not a Disney movie, you're movie is either going to fall into these categories.

1.) Performed modestly, it made more than it's budget, an actual profit.. Something like Creed, which got under $90 million, but is considered a financial and critical success.

2.) Your Batman v Superman movies... Warner brothers makes under $300 million, and everyone gives them bad reviews because Iron Man or Captain America aren't in it.

3.) Absolute failure like the Ratchet and Clank movie. A movie faithful to the source material, made by people who care about the product... But it's not Pixar or Disney CGI so it is garbage.

Digressing to avoid making this entirely an anti-disney thread(kind of is) I am making points as to why the MLP movie will not make much money and will get bad reviews from critics based on the fact it isn't the same routine. The routine for the box office is your 6+ super hero movies per year, the Disney ones get financial and critical dominance, the other studios get average or poor performance.

Ratchet and Clank bombed because the movie sucked. If the MLP is great then it will do great business.

• Brohoof 1

I thought the fact that the movie would be competing with X-Men Gambit and Blade Runner 2 would be enough to question how successful the 2017 movie would be.

Oh, I imagine it'll come out at a different time. Probably at a time when the when the theaters aren't SO crowded and busy.

(Though as stupid as the Hasbro execs are when it comes to MLP... :unsure: )

Ratchet and Clank bombed because the movie sucked. If the MLP is great then it will do great business.

Bad reviews=bad movie? The movie outside of the game narrative, had a coherent plot with good messages. I don't see what the movie did wrong. 

Bad reviews=bad movie? The movie outside of the game narrative, had a coherent plot with good messages. I don't see what the movie did wrong.

The reviews drive people away. Guarantee you BvS would have grossed $1.5 billion had the reviews actually been good.

The reviews drive people away. Guarantee you BvS would have grossed $1.5 billion had the reviews actually been good.

>Implying everybody reads reviews.

This is not how it works. The general audience see titles and they just go in blindly. Say "Batman vs Superman" BOOM! Automatic money.

• Brohoof 3

>Implying everybody reads reviews.

This is not how it works. The general audience see titles and they just go in blindly. Say "Batman vs Superman" BOOM! Automatic money.

Not really. It didn't do nearly as well as it was supposed to. WB only broke even.

Look at Pixar. Their films were ginormous money makers from day one and then the Good Dinosaur bombs.

It has to do with both reviews and marketing.

Not really. It didn't do nearly as well as it was supposed to. WB only broke even.

Look at Pixar. Their films were ginormous money makers from day one and then the Good Dinosaur bombs.

It has to do with both reviews and marketing.

Yeah, that's why Avatar is the most successful movie of all time, because of it's critical success. *Sarcasm*

The logic is flawed. Sure, it has something to do with it. But it's only a part of it.

(edited)

1. It performs modestly, sounds good to me.

2. How is Batman v Superman a failure? It made a lot of Money actually, despite the bad reviews.

Also, People didnt hate it, because Captain America or Iron Man werent in it, because the Movie had the biggest opening for a Superhero Movie ever ( okay, maybe civil war could been better, but by the time i wrote this, Batman V Superman had still the biggest Opening, i think ), i mean it stars the 2 most iconic Super Heroes of all time and they have a LOT of fans.

It failed mostly, because People didnt like how the Movie was made, they wish it would have been different.

They dont hate Superman or Batman, they just hated the Movie.

Also, if Mlp makes that much Money compared to its budget than Batman v Superman, than the Mlp Movie would be a very big success.

3. Mostly the same as with Batman V Superman.

It didnt fail, because i didnt had enough Fans, it failed because People were unhappy how the Film was made, which most Video Game Adaptations suffer from. ( the biggest enemy to any franchise are the Fans  :lol: )

Also, Ratchet and Clank didnt even ended its Theathrical run yet, maybe its still gonna make some profit, you dont know that.  :huh:  ( yeah okay, me neither  :lie: )

I think the Movie either makes a little bit Profit or fails.

I dont think, it would be THAT big of a success.

I mean, i would be happy if it did, but...considering how bad the first Mlp Movie went...i dont know.

I mean the Transformers Movies are a big success but i dont know how many of those Hasbro Fans, would want to watch Mlp.  :lol:

But then again, i dont even think the Movie has to make a high amount of Money to be successful, because if it keeps the Style of the Show, it would be mostly produced in Flash again, and that shouldnt be that expensive.

I dont think that the Mlp Movie will cost that much.

Edited by Supergirl Rarity
  • Brohoof 1

If they are using the same animation as the show, and they don't have to pay the actors as much because they aren't seen in person in the movie(but it will still be mad expensive) then I'm sure they might get a little profit. If not box office the DVDs will sell better because more parents would buy them as gifts or just to watch at home with their family time or to ease a babysitters job watching them and us bronies can support the release by not being scum and illegally streaming free online and actually go to the movie and buy the DVD afterward, we can make a huge difference with proper support.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Or, you know, they thought the film sucked. Captain America and Iron Man were considered B-list superheroes, but Disney/Marvel has done a lot to make them big names.On the other hand, Batman and Superman are bigger names in the superhero world and are bigger money draws, but poor press and word of mouth ended up dooming the movie

Or, you know, it wasn't that good of a movie. If I remember correctly, there was almost zero advertising for the movie, which pretty much tells me that Sony didn't have much faith in it despite being a big IP for the Playstation brand. Also, there's been plenty of non-Disney/Pixar films that have been huge hits like most Dreamworks films and Despicable Me, not to mention there have been plenty of cartoons getting movies on the big screen and being successful such as Rugrats, Spongebob and the Simpsons. Also being a Disney movie doesn't always guarantee success, just look at The Good Dinosaur and John Carter

As for the MLP movie, whether its successful or not is all up to Hasbro and Lionsgate, but most fans can agree it's gonna be a uphill battle

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 6

Anyone who thinks that anyone other than bronies and some parents are going to see this movie are gonna be in for a dissapointment.

I think A LOT of parents are going to take their kids. Even though viewership doesn't seem as high, the merchandise and following of the show by kids have exploded lately, based on my own observations of going to playgrounds, schools and kid centric areas. I never noticed as much pony shirts and backpacks as a do now. In fact, I'm only a fan because of that reach into the children areas, as my daughter was given a Rainbow Dash doll and then BOOM here I am. If you have a kid, you know.....the ponies have popped up everywhere.