Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Drawing or Painting With The Tablet...

SuperBrony87

I was thinking. I've got my own iPad Pro tablet. Like most computers occasionally I like to take mouse in hand and draw via whatever painting application is available. So I went and tried the first free painting app I see. I went and tried my hand... Or my finger. The painting via my finger feels different. I put out to you tablet or just touch tech artists. Please draw up something on your device. The art could be anything. I merely want to see if tablet art can be good. Mine looks like most childish doodles in a coloring book. Such is unbecoming of a computer painter such as I.... So I look forward to any and all the creative ideas that may come. I'll even settle for tips as to how to improve by using my finger. It's rather fat I'm typing this out sideways so as to make the keyboard larger. Anywho I also feel my range of what I can draw on a 9 inch screen sideways is somewhat limited. It's like trying to make a art on a notepad. I can draw on them but the size and scale would limit my drawings. So before this gets any longer. I just want to do a little social experiment with you all. Come one come all and show me just what tablet drawing really can do.

• Brohoof 1

Hello, @@SuperBrony87

I will be moving this thread to the proper section where it can get the appropriate attention: Visual Art Creative Resources under Octavia's Hall.

Thank you!

:fluttershy:

• Brohoof 1

I own a Wacom Intuos Small art tablet, and I like it a lot. It's cheap and simple for beginners! 

Here's an example of what I've drawn up on it:

t8iwWKg.png

I would definitely say that a digital art tablet would be way more smoother than using your finger on an iPad, but that's just me! ^.^

• Brohoof 2

As for the last entry. I just got this 1 tablet. It'll have to do. I do understand they got devices for specifically drawing and painting. However I just doodle from time to time.. It's just that I don't like how drawing with my finger looks... If it was possible... I'm thinking of those pen things gamers use on the Nintendo DS. If somehow they had tablet "pointers", I bet that may work but that could potentially mess up the screen.

So you drew that picture on your tablet. It looks as if you used a pencil, which makes me think of my pointer pen remark. I have no doubt my tablet art would look better if it was done via a stylus. I'll draw up something, post it here and show you what I mean...

As for the last entry. I just got this 1 tablet. It'll have to do. I do understand they got devices for specifically drawing and painting. However I just doodle from time to time.. It's just that I don't like how drawing with my finger looks... If it was possible... I'm thinking of those pen things gamers use on the Nintendo DS. If somehow they had tablet "pointers", I bet that may work but that could potentially mess up the screen.

So you drew that picture on your tablet. It looks as if you used a pencil, which makes me think of my pointer pen remark. I have no doubt my tablet art would look better if it was done via a stylus. I'll draw up something, post it here and show you what I mean...

I'm sorry. I drew something. Well Idk how to upload art pictures on this thing? Also, if you want to zoom in. You just flick the screen with two fingers. Eh I suppose without scrolling or anything it is what it is. Anywho I tell you it's the best of what I've attenpted to draw... And it still looks childish. I am actually really good at drawing. I just never had to try it this way which in itself could explain it. Still, all the hours or practice maybe for not... On the tablet anyways.

For what it's worth. I did learn there IS a stylus pen like thing for tablets. That would be amazing for precision mostly. Now I just need to figure out how to save art and then upload it... I like whatI'm seeing so far. Especially if you did use you finger. They do look like they would if using en. It's good to know you can do some decent drawings on this thing. Again with limited space. Looks like ponies mostly. Which is cool

For me, I also use iPad to draw (I'm not good at art in the first place) but I use a stylus. If you have used iOS before I'm sure you have seen the box with an arrow pointing up. That's the action button and in both apps I have for drawing, they have a built in feature where you can upload photos from the app to an email, my photos, my google drive and a bunch of other places by using that action button. Google drive is usually how I transfer my drawings off of my iPad.

Yeah I have no doubt that using the pen thing when I draw would be better. While Ido have my laptop back. I'm gonna get some drawing done on this here tablet... When I get my hands on some kinda iPencil? Nintendo DS has their pen thing. I bet the pen could replace touching the screen altogether. I mean this has my fingers all over it after a while you see every print and swipe. Like sometimes I wipe down the screen also I'm sick and wipes germs away too. So that's good. Don't fret I've just ran into a bout of upper respiratory infection that apparently has been going around. However it feels like a flu. The Dr. I saw a few day who got me some good medicine for it. I should be back to normal but this crap grounded me I can't go out much. Unless important. The town is sick too going out may worsen me. I can't go to the gym either for risk of contaminating the hot tub, or just sweating, breathing around people. Yeah. It's been a long week. It's not to say I wish my PlayStation worked so I could play games or whatever. Sure I got two other devices but what good is a console that doesn't play games. I'm faced with choices. I can't comply to them right now.

Sorta went rambling in that last one, Anywho, until next time...

The ds has a different type of stylus than iPad. Don try to use a ds stylus on iPad, it can't be good for ur screen and it's not effective (it doesent work at all) iPads use what's called a capacitive touch screen, only certain types of stuluses work on this type of screen (the apple pencil may seem like the same thing as a ds stylus but it don work when it's not on. It communicates In a special way with the iPad pro [the apple pencil only works on two devices, the iPad pro and the iPad pro 9.7 in.] the apple pencil would work on a ds screen because the Ds screen isn't capacitive, it is only touch sensitive, with the apple pencil it's sending a charge into the iPad screen so the iPad knows where the pencil Is touching) basically what I'm saying here is only certain styluses work on that iPad (capacitive styluses and the apple pencil). That's just how Apple built their screens, using capacitive screens is more accurate than simply pressure sensitive.

I would know, I don't own either A DS or this I Pencil. I DO have an iPad Pro, which you said the pencil works on. Kinda feel like it would have been included with the device shipment. I mean, last I was at the store. Which I think wasn't looking for at the time. Still I didn't see any pens around. I bet on second glance I may find one. I'll just need to have a look around. It could be sold in many retail stores? My first bet would be trying the AT&T store where I got this here iPad Pro 9'7. Now that I think of it the pencil would also help editing texts too. I got these large fingers that pinpoint touching is tough. Turning the thing sideways helps typing. But backtracking isn't ya see.

I've discovered that I could afford a reasonable stylus pen for the tablet. I looked up iPencil on eBay the first one to come up was on on bid for 75 USD. I spoke with my brother and he showed me the way cheaper styluses some sold in packs like plain pencils. If I was to buy one would the iPad Pro well, would that work. The cheaper price makes sense since I said I was gonna use it for pinpoint editing... And of course for drawing.

So I got this iPen like thing which was about 90 bucks less than an official iPencil. Which should be what I need. I mean 99 USD for a pencil. That thing must be something amazing. Well this thing I got has a laser pointer... I think it's either broken or needs batteries. Whatever the case. Pinpoint touching has improved. Next, what I set out to do. I've gathered a few drawing apps. Free of course. Not free of stupid distracting ads. They also appear to take up drawing space that accidentally touching one triggering a pop up page on the Safari Internet ap. I'm not gonna lie, sometimes the device resets itself. I think it crashes. From either closing ads. The tablet doing too many things. So the drawing hasn't quite improved.

Please tell me how you all are getting off to with your artistic endeavors. iPhone also would like some MLP figure samples for reference. I'm trying but I haven't got down a design that looks so easy. Not to mention because this pen doesn't quite pinpoint so well. Reconnecting draw lines is off. The apps offer a good deal of space. Some need some getting used to. The tools don't have the full custom options of let's say. That standard paint on most computers. I can work with it. I've got Fresh Paint on my PC laptop. Which art becomes as riding a bike. Yet I don't understand. With this pen I should be able to draw things without much effort. I often draw on paper with limited space. I recall trying to scribble my name on touch pad machines. That it looked sloppy. I'm positive and soon I'll deliver art via this tablet and soon. This do I swear. I will successfully draw something on this iPad... Some of the apps offer saving functions that kind being the saved work appears in my photo album. So uploading will become possible.

OK... After almost many hours of tracing over and over, color editing, Xing out ads that were in the way.

I finally got an idea, drew it up, it's not gonna be dubbed my best at this time. I'm going to try submitting it though just to show what I've got so far. If the subject doesn't take much. Well here's my take on MLP this scene is soon after Rarity's temporary wings disappear and she begins to fall. Looks like with all her kicking about the Wonderbolts dos what they can. It looks like Rarity's doom approaches. When suddenly. With a flash. Rainbow Dash wonders what could be faster than her? Rarity is saved by a handsome blue stallion, emblazed with an unusual cutie mark and "wearing a rather fashionable red cape" Rarity mutters. The heroic blue stallion takes Rarity in his hooves and he places her to safety. Before any pony can ask questions. The mysterious blue stallion. Rainbow Dash swears she never saw wings or a horn on him. How is it an Earth pony could do that? Anyways that's enough fan fic for now... Enjoy this picture. Please criticize gently.

OK... After almost many hours of tracing over and over, color editing, Xing out ads that were in the way.

I finally got an idea, drew it up, it's not gonna be dubbed my best at this time. I'm going to try submitting it though just to show what I've got so far. If the subject doesn't take much. Well here's my take on MLP this scene is soon after Rarity's temporary wings disappear and she begins to fall. Looks like with all her kicking about the Wonderbolts dos what they can. It looks like Rarity's doom approaches. When suddenly. With a flash. Rainbow Dash wonders what could be faster than her? Rarity is saved by a handsome blue stallion, emblazed with an unusual cutie mark and "wearing a rather fashionable red cape" Rarity mutters. The heroic blue stallion takes Rarity in his hooves and he places her to safety. Before any pony can ask questions. The mysterious blue stallion. Rainbow Dash swears she never saw wings or a horn on him. How is it an Earth pony could do that? Anyways that's enough fan fic for now... Enjoy this picture. Please criticize gently.

The secret is my designs start from scratch. My pony forms need work. But yeah that's what I got for now.

Guess what? I'm pretty sure the real challenge is detail... Also availability to all tools without changing color customizing. So, do you wanna look at these "masterpieces" I've managed? I'll upload them here after the post.

I would know, I don't own either A DS or this I Pencil. I DO have an iPad Pro, which you said the pencil works on. Kinda feel like it would have been included with the device shipment. I mean, last I was at the store. Which I think wasn't looking for at the time. Still I didn't see any pens around. I bet on second glance I may find one. I'll just need to have a look around. It could be sold in many retail stores? My first bet would be trying the AT&T store where I got this here iPad Pro 9'7. Now that I think of it the pencil would also help editing texts too. I got these large fingers that pinpoint touching is tough. Turning the thing sideways helps typing. But backtracking isn't ya see.I've discovered that I could afford a reasonable stylus pen for the tablet. I looked up iPencil on eBay the first one to come up was on on bid for 75 USD. I spoke with my brother and he showed me the way cheaper styluses some sold in packs like plain pencils. If I was to buy one would the iPad Pro well, would that work. The cheaper price makes sense since I said I was gonna use it for pinpoint editing... And of course for drawing. So I got this iPen like thing which was about 90 bucks less than an official iPencil. Which should be what I need. I mean 99 USD for a pencil. That thing must be something amazing. Well this thing I got has a laser pointer... I think it's either broken or needs batteries. Whatever the case. Pinpoint touching has improved. Next, what I set out to do. I've gathered a few drawing apps. Free of course. Not free of stupid distracting ads. They also appear to take up drawing space that accidentally touching one triggering a pop up page on the Safari Internet ap. I'm not gonna lie, sometimes the device resets itself. I think it crashes. From either closing ads. The tablet doing too many things. So the drawing hasn't quite improved.

Please tell me how you all are getting off to with your artistic endeavors. iPhone also would like some MLP figure samples for reference. I'm trying but I haven't got down a design that looks so easy. Not to mention because this pen doesn't quite pinpoint so well. Reconnecting draw lines is off. The apps offer a good deal of space. Some need some getting used to. The tools don't have the full custom options of let's say. That standard paint on most computers. I can work with it. I've got Fresh Paint on my PC laptop. Which art becomes as riding a bike. Yet I don't understand. With this pen I should be able to draw things without much effort. I often draw on paper with limited space. I recall trying to scribble my name on touch pad machines. That it looked sloppy. I'm positive and soon I'll deliver art via this tablet and soon. This do I swear. I will successfully draw something on this iPad... Some of the apps offer saving functions that kind being the saved work appears in my photo album. So uploading will become possible.OK... After almost many hours of tracing over and over, color editing, Xing out ads that were in the way.

I finally got an idea, drew it up, it's not gonna be dubbed my best at this time. I'm going to try submitting it though just to show what I've got so far. If the subject doesn't take much. Well here's my take on MLP this scene is soon after Rarity's temporary wings disappear and she begins to fall. Looks like with all her kicking about the Wonderbolts dos what they can. It looks like Rarity's doom approaches. When suddenly. With a flash. Rainbow Dash wonders what could be faster than her? Rarity is saved by a handsome blue stallion, emblazed with an unusual cutie mark and "wearing a rather fashionable red cape" Rarity mutters. The heroic blue stallion takes Rarity in his hooves and he places her to safety. Before any pony can ask questions. The mysterious blue stallion. Rainbow Dash swears she never saw wings or a horn on him. How is it an Earth pony could do that? Anyways that's enough fan fic for now... Enjoy this picture. Please criticize gently.OK... After almost many hours of tracing over and over, color editing, Xing out ads that were in the way.

I finally got an idea, drew it up, it's not gonna be dubbed my best at this time. I'm going to try submitting it though just to show what I've got so far. If the subject doesn't take much. Well here's my take on MLP this scene is soon after Rarity's temporary wings disappear and she begins to fall. Looks like with all her kicking about the Wonderbolts dos what they can. It looks like Rarity's doom approaches. When suddenly. With a flash. Rainbow Dash wonders what could be faster than her? Rarity is saved by a handsome blue stallion, emblazed with an unusual cutie mark and "wearing a rather fashionable red cape" Rarity mutters. The heroic blue stallion takes Rarity in his hooves and he places her to safety. Before any pony can ask questions. The mysterious blue stallion. Rainbow Dash swears she never saw wings or a horn on him. How is it an Earth pony could do that? Anyways that's enough fan fic for now... Enjoy this picture. Please criticize gently.The secret is my designs start from scratch. My pony forms need work. But yeah that's what I got for now. Guess what? I'm pretty sure the real challenge is detail... Also availability to all tools without changing color customizing. So, do you wanna look at these "masterpieces" I've managed? I'll upload them here after the post.

The third was drawn sideways there. F.y.i.

post-31899-0-27158100-1462653884_thumb.jpeg

post-31899-0-03225900-1462661924_thumb.jpeg

post-31899-0-17926700-1462661935_thumb.jpeg

(edited)

So I got a new piece here. Something better. First I've figured how to arrange the pic, only thing now is the pieces are saving in "mirrored view".

In this piece I've pitted Superpony ME with our damsel who's in occasional distress, Rarity. FYI, the cloudy text says "Never Look Down". Is what it would say if not for the mirrored effect. I think it was swapped during the switching position. I hold this tablet sideways, vertical, horizontal. So Idk where up is from down on this thing. The pics come out sideways, upside down...

Well here's the painting. Getting better right?

So I got a new piece here. Something better. First I've figured how to arrange the pic, only thing now is the pieces are saving in "mirrored view".

In this piece I've pitted Superpony ME with our damsel who's in occasional distress, Rarity. FYI, the cloudy text says "Never Look Down". Is what it would say if not for the mirrored effect. I think it was swapped during the switching position. I hold this tablet sideways, vertical, horizontal. So Idk where up is from down on this thing. The pics come out sideways, upside down...

Well here's the painting. Getting better right?

First pic was the one I just mentioned... The second is from earlier.

post-31899-0-73248300-1463121173_thumb.jpeg

post-31899-0-02427800-1463121198_thumb.jpeg

Edited by SuperBrony87

• 5 weeks later...

Buy a good stylus. Your finger is a bad drawer. :P

There are tons of styluses out there for tablets that are just as good as those that come with dedicated drawing displays.

Just shop around and pick out one you like.

• 1 month later...

I own a Wacom Intuos Small art tablet, and I like it a lot. It's cheap and simple for beginners! 

Here's an example of what I've drawn up on it:

sig-4500103.t8iwWKg.png

I would definitely say that a digital art tablet would be way more smoother than using your finger on an iPad, but that's just me! ^.^

Yep I would say the same thing :3