Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think there's any ways that hasbro could market the film more to males?

Unlikeable Pony

Specifically, do you think there's any reasonable ways that hasbro could market or advertise the movie so as to try and make males more likely to go see the MLP movie or feel less self conscious about seeing an MLP Movie?

Hasbro's biggest strength is also paradoxically its biggest weakness: MLP's brand name recognition also works against it in that the majority of adults won't want to give the movie a chance and males, young or adult, won't want to be caught dead asking to be taken to or buying a ticket for a "little girls" movie.

Not having this hurdle has been essential to the success of many other Childrens movies: Zootopia for example wasn't a movie that adults or males would feel self conscious going to see, and even Disney movies aimed at little girls (Such as frozen) avoid the stigma by virtue of Disney being known for doing good work.

So, do you think there's any way that hasbro could try to market or advertise the FIM movie to make it be more appealing to adults and males?

• Brohoof 1

I am going to watch it. I don't see why any of you should be ashamed .

Beat me to it, lol!

The older I get, the more I realize just how little the opinion of others means. You have to be comfortable in your own skin, doing things because of how you expect other people to think of you will only make you miserable. At the end of the day, you don't have to live with any of them- you have to live with yourself.

• Brohoof 3

Specifically, do you think there's any reasonable ways that hasbro could market or advertise the movie so as to try and make males more likely to go see the MLP movie or feel less self conscious about seeing an MLP Movie?

Hasbro's biggest strength is also paradoxically its biggest weakness: MLP's brand name recognition also works against it in that the majority of adults won't want to give the movie a chance and males, young or adult, won't want to be caught dead asking to be taken to or buying a ticket for a "little girls" movie.

Not having this hurdle has been essential to the success of many other Childrens movies: Zootopia for example wasn't a movie that adults or males would feel self conscious going to see, and even Disney movies aimed at little girls (Such as frozen) avoid the stigma by virtue of Disney being known for doing good work.

So, do you think there's any way that hasbro could try to market or advertise the FIM movie to make it be more appealing to adults and males?

Yeah. Make the trailers action oriented.

(edited)

The people (of any age or gender) that like the cartoon, and want to see the film will go and see it.  Anybody that has no interest in MLP, will not go to see it, unless they are a parent, older sibling or person who otherwise has to accompany someone who is too young to go to the cinema by themselves.

Depending on the UK release date, my daughter will be either 9 or 10 when it comes out here, she may want to see it, she may not.  Either way, I'll be going to see it, with her, or without her.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 3

I think Hasbros big problem will also be, to sell this movie in Europe, especially to germany.

As a german, i can say that this is Filly Funtasia country and nobody gives a damn about FiM, because that show is a midweek morning cartoon, aimed for preschoolers here.

Besides, the german dub just sucks and that's also my reason why i won't see the movie in theaters and not because i am shy of masculinity

• Brohoof 1

I think Hasbros big problem will also be, to sell this movie in Europe, especially to germany.

As a german, i can say that this is Filly Funtasia country and nobody gives a damn about FiM, because that show is a midweek morning cartoon, aimed for preschoolers here.

Besides, the german dub just sucks and that's also my reason why i won't see the movie in theaters and not because i am shy of masculinity

You mean you don't like cupcakes muffins?

No offense, but that sounds incredibly sexist. [/quote

I don't mean to be sexist but it's unfortunately true that action will attract males the most. I will say this about females: they're WAY more open minded.

Okay enough about that. Don't want to start a flame war.

No offense, but that sounds incredibly sexist. [/quote

I don't mean to be sexist but it's unfortunately true that action will attract males the most. I will say this about females: they're WAY more open minded.

Okay enough about that. Don't want to start a flame war.

So Males are not open minded and are just in there for the action?

Again, generalizing much?

• Brohoof 7

So Males are not open minded and are just in there for the action?

Again, generalizing much?

I don't know about you, but I wake up every morning and drink an entire pot of coffee then smash the pot against my skull. After that I smoke a whole pack of cigarettes at the same time followed by my breakfast of steak, eggs, and protein shakes.

Then I laze about just making manly grunts and farting.

Quick show of hands, how many men are on this forum? How many men like this show again? 

Hell I went to go see Zootopia the other day and a house mate said to me "you know that's a kids movie right?"

and I was like "Yep." 

and that was the end of that. Anyone who'd give you beef about seeing a harmless movie shouldn't be in your life anyway. 

• Brohoof 2

It doesn't need to. The franchise is and always was primarily targeting young children. And yet, it attracted a fandom of largely men.

Why should Hasbro have to market it to guys? Let it do what it's been doing; it's worked so far. I enjoy MLP for what it is. Sure, I might like to make a few changes here or there, but what it can be isn't up for me to decide.

If they try to make it super dark and action-oriented, they're just gonna lose their main audience trying to appeal to another crowd that never cared about it in the first place.

With that out of the way, it couldn't hurt to put out merchandise or promotions that may interest guys, as they've done in the past. Smart advertising can take you anywhere.

• Brohoof 3

It doesn't need to. The franchise is and always was primarily targeting young children. And yet, it attracted a fandom of largely men.

Why should Hasbro have to market it to guys? Let it do what it's been doing; it's worked so far. I enjoy MLP for what it is. Sure, I might like to make a few changes here or there, but what it can be isn't up for me to decide.

If they try to make it super dark and action-oriented, they're just gonna lose their main audience trying to appeal to another crowd that never cared about it in the first place.

With that out of the way, it couldn't hurt to put out merchandise or promotions that may interest guys, as they've done in the past. Smart advertising can take you anywhere.

Nobody's arguing to market it towards men but to market it where men can still be interested. I'm fairly certain tons of men went to see Frozen and enjoyed it.

Nobody's arguing to market it towards men but to market it where men can still be interested. I'm fairly certain tons of men went to see Frozen and enjoyed it.

Well, that I do understand. What little input I had to offer in that matter I included in my last paragraph. But I would insist that Frozen followed a similar method that I had in mind.

Disney movies (especially animated movies) are usually aimed at children. Many people simply trust the quality of their productions. I can't speak for anyone else, but I only saw Frozen because it was a Disney movie.

They clearly marketed it as a kids movie, but I watched it anyway.

Do they need to? I suspect that at least a two thirds of the viewers will be men over 20.

I think you're being overly optimistic there :P

I seriously doubt that more than 33% of viewers will be adult male, and that's counting the parents that are just taking their kids to see it.

Hell I went to go see Zootopia the other day and a house mate said to me "you know that's a kids movie right?"

Its not about it being a kids movie; its specifically about it being seen as a little girls movie.

there's not really that much of a stigma against children's movies nowadays; hell, ever since disney came around there really wasn't, since disney started from day one aiming at adults too. The issue is more that MLP is still ingrained in the public mind as being the 80s MLP and a very cliche girls cartoon, and that will most likely turn away anyone not already in the brony fandom.

Even WITH bronys, as MLP as a meme is long gone, being seen openly liking MLP isn't as in vogue as it was like 2-3 years ago when it was still a meme.

(edited)

Any stigma that used to exist about adults watching animated films is long gone.  I went to see 'Ice Age' with my dad and my brother, I was 21 at the time, my brother was 24, and my dad, let's just say he was older than my big brother.  Nobody batted an eyelid, because nobody cared.

If you look at Japan, animation has always been respected as a legitimate art form for any age group, In the west, that's a more recent phenomenon, largely brought about by Japanese films, most notably 'Akira' managing to attract mainstream audiences.  The importance of Akira's contribution to changing attitudes in the west cannot be overstated.

The biggest steps for homegrown western animation in that respect were taken by Pixar Studious and Dreamworks, who made films like 'Toy Story' and 'Madagascar' (not to forget Blue Sky sudios with 'Ice Age') which were deliberately made with humour that operated on multiple levels to be enjoyed by children and adults alike, if you watch these films in the cinema, you will observe the adults and children laughing at completely different parts.  (before anyone flames me saying I forgot to mention [this film] or [that film], I am taking only about general release, mainstream films here)

Lauren Faust stated in the book 'The Elements of Harmony' that when she was designing FiM, she wanted it to be a cartoon that parents could watch with their children without wanting to shoot themselves in the face (okay, that wasn't her exact words, I'm paraphrasing) and she succeeded way beyond her wildest expectations.

Hasbro have adapted their marketing during the run of the cartoon, in response to the unpredicted success among adult viewers, for example, we've seen MLP t-shirts being made in men's sizes, and the Funko Vinyl figures which are aimed more at the collectible figurine market as opposed to being children's toys.

For the film, I don't want it to be dark, or edgy, I want it to be My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic, and made in the same spirit in which it was first created.  All I would ask to see from Hasbro (for me, as an adult), it some quality merchandise, like t-shirts, and good, well sculpted figurines that I can put on my shelf, and that won't look out of place among my collection of assorted action figures.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 2

I know some friends of mine that went to the theatrical release of the DragonBall Z: Resurrection of F showing.

I think that you will be in good company if you choose to go, because anyone who goes will obviously like the medium.

Just let it be itself, it shouldn't have to pretend to be something it isn't in order to appeal to a group of people who probably won't even watch it anyway(willingly at least)

• Brohoof 4

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

No offense, but that sounds incredibly sexist.

Right? I mean there's certainly no precedence of girls having action and adventure in media. Various comicbook super heroines/villains, Sailor Moon, Care Bears, She-Ra, MLP, Rainbowbrite, Legend of Korra, Powerpuff Girls, video games starring female leads. Edited by Leave a Whisper
  • Brohoof 2

Eh, unless the guardians of harmony toyline suddenly brings in a load of new young boy fans, I still think this will be mainly limited to the target audience and maybe 10% of the brony population for who goes to see it.