Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S06:E07 - Newbie Dash

Troblems

256 users have voted

1. 1. Thoughts on Newbie Dash?

• Best. Episode. EVER!
    • It was pretty great!
    • It needed to be about 20% cooler.
    • I would have preferred a 22 minute nap.
    • Worst. Episode. EVER!

Joshscorcher just did a review of this episode and explained why this is NOT a bad episode. Watch it. I knew we needed an actual military standpoint.

Took long enough. Maybe now we can finally get some more praise in for this really respectable episode on here. 

Doesn't quite detail my favourite things about the episode, but it does a good job of explaining why all of this makes sense for how Rainbow would react to the situation and why it's got a pretty solid message.

Yeah, it's a shame how emotions blind us towards the other details that exist here and there :huh:. It's not like they are hard to find, but we've been so focused on "Oh, look how the Wonderdouches are teasing Rainbow Dash and stuff yo :unamused: " . 

Yeah, it's a shame how emotions blind us towards the other details that exist here and there :huh:. It's not like they are hard to find, but we've been so focused on "Oh, look how the Wonderdouches are teasing Rainbow Dash and stuff yo :unamused: " . 

Their teasing really isn't that bad. At most, we have some goofy teasing which, at the end, Rainbow doesn't even seem to have much of a problem with, and mostly she's just called the name without any intent other than addressing her. We're going to ignore all of the strong themes and ideas to be found here because of that? 

• Brohoof 2

Their teasing really isn't that bad. At most, we have some goofy teasing which, at the end, Rainbow doesn't even seem to have much of a problem with, and mostly she's just called the name without any intent other than addressing her. We're going to ignore all of the strong themes and ideas to be found here because of that? 

Like I wrote, being overwhelmed by strong feelings of anger made many of us ignore those little details :dash:

After watching the videos by both JoshScorcher and Sketchy the Changeling I must say I hold this episode in a higher light than I previously did. Granted the impersonation bit is still cringe, though glorious from a voice-acting stance. However the message is actually quite strong and this goes right in line with her character.

Really, it's a fine episode. :)

After watching the videos by both JoshScorcher and Sketchy the Changeling I must say I hold this episode in a higher light than I previously did. Granted the impersonation bit is still cringe, though glorious from a voice-acting stance. However the message is actually quite strong and this goes right in line with her character.

Really, it's a fine episode. :)

The impersonations were cringe? Darling, I'm sorry, but if you don't mind, I must wholeheartedly disagree. Wasn't she simply divine for at least one small moment?

vector___rainbow_fash_by_sketchmcreation

• Brohoof 2

The impersonations were cringe? Darling, I'm sorry, but if you don't mind, I must wholeheartedly disagree. Wasn't she simply divine for at least one small moment?

vector___rainbow_fash_by_sketchmcreation

Well, on their own, the impressions are actually great, it's just within the context of the situation, dang it. :P

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

So, is it strange for me to still despise this episode despite reading all of the points trying to make it seem good? Even after all of these months and all of the time to think it over, I still cannot bring myself to remotely consider this episode anything other than uncomfortable and worthless. It seems I will forever see this episode as a deep scar on a show I love.

• Brohoof 2

So, is it strange for me to still despise this episode despite reading all of the points trying to make it seem good? Even after all of these months and all of the time to think it over, I still cannot bring myself to remotely consider this episode anything other than uncomfortable and worthless. It seems I will forever see this episode as a deep scar on a show I love.

You don't like what you don't like; there's nothing weird about that. I know I have episodes I hate despite reading a lot of explanations from people who like them. 

For me, this ep is far from awful, but a really disappointment if you consider this ep is a milestone for RD. After collecting my thoughts, i think RD needs this ep but i wish it would the aftermath after a great milestone episode and the whole "they make a milestone episode for Dash like Garbage" wouldnt happen.

Like Equestria Games, not a bad episode, but not being the right place and time, if Newbie Dash happen after an awesome RD milestone episode, the number of complainers will be reduced significantly.

• 4 weeks later...

I really don't see why she is so offended by the name. The Wonderbolts are an elite military group not a college safe space

I really don't see why she is so offended by the name. The Wonderbolts are an elite military group not a college safe space

They're the group whom she's always looked up too. Plus, she was called that during flight school and it hurt her. This is why she did what she did. As far as I can see, I still say the Wonderbolts are jerks...

• Brohoof 1

They're the group whom she's always looked up too. Plus, she was called that during flight school and it hurt her. This is why she did what she did. As far as I can see, I still say the Wonderbolts are jerks...

Fair point, good sir. But one must remember that she is technically in the MILITARY. The Wonderbolts are called to fight dragons and stuff (They will do far better with Rainbow Dash) she needs to grow some thick skin. The real military is designed to tear you apart and build you back up.

Fair point, good sir. But one must remember that she is technically in the MILITARY. The Wonderbolts are called to fight dragons and stuff (They will do far better with Rainbow Dash) she needs to grow some thick skin. The real military is designed to tear you apart and build you back up.

But don't forget...not everyone can be motivated by being insulted...like Dash. This is why she was doing those impressions of her friends. If you look at it, the Wonderbolts were forcing Dash to hide her pain to try to "toughen her up". Honestly, this is one of the most jerky things people can do. They were essentially preventing Dash from speaking up because they are above her and "entitled". Dash certainly do not deserve to go through that mess.

• Brohoof 1

But don't forget...not everyone can be motivated by being insulted...like Dash. This is why she was doing those impressions of her friends. If you look at it, the Wonderbolts were forcing Dash to hide her pain to try to "toughen her up". Honestly, this is one of the most jerky things people can do. They were essentially preventing Dash from speaking up because they are above her and "entitled". Dash certainly do not deserve to go through that mess.

They weren't forcing her to hide anything. The real fault was in the show's writing. Spitfire straight up says she is acting weird and asks what the problem is. Instead of telling her commanding officer that the nickname they gave her she dodges the question then tries to change the air show. She could have simply told them like she did in the end. Everypony makes mistakes, me( Me especially!) you and the mane six. It's how you react that matters. I was very overweight for a long time, especially when I was a kid, and I was teased for it. But instead of taking it as an insult I took it as an observation. And though it hurt my feelings I used it as a reminder to better myself. I weigh less at eighteen than I did at twelve because of this. What I'm trying to say is, it doesnt really matter what happens to you, it's how you react.

They weren't forcing her to hide anything. The real fault was in the show's writing. Spitfire straight up says she is acting weird and asks what the problem is. Instead of telling her commanding officer that the nickname they gave her she dodges the question then tries to change the air show. She could have simply told them like she did in the end. Everypony makes mistakes, me( Me especially!) you and the mane six. It's how you react that matters. I was very overweight for a long time, especially when I was a kid, and I was teased for it. But instead of taking it as an insult I took it as an observation. And though it hurt my feelings I used it as a reminder to better myself. I weigh less at eighteen than I did at twelve because of this. What I'm trying to say is, it doesnt really matter what happens to you, it's how you react.

Ok then. I seriously think the writers owe us since they completely butchered this episode...

Ok then. I seriously think the writers owe us since they completely butchered this episode...

Indeed good sir! Maybe we'll get a Celestia episode in season six that will make up for it (Cross your fingers...eh, hooves? My claws anyway.)

She took it to mean that she messed up and lost the Wonderbolts' respect, which she had so recently earned, and is desperate to win that respect back. Right or not, she's terrified that a few mistakes might ruin everything she's worked towards, or worse, that she might be inadequate for the job. It's not that the nickname offends her; it's that it fills her with insecurity - at least, until the end, when the actual meaning of the name is revealed to her and she retakes it as a badge of pride. 

• 4 weeks later...

I love Rainbow in this episode! She is always so confident and can even be a little rude at times. It was nice to see her come down a few pegs and realize that she still has a lot to improve on even though she is 110% awesome! I feel like this episode helped flush out her character and allow her to grow into a better pony.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It's a decent episode. If anything I think RD got off a little easy with the teasing as opposed to having been initially punished for her failure to follow clearly established safety rules, and if I were one of the Wonderbolts teasing her I doubt I would've expressed any sympathy if she'd said I was hurting her feelings. The ending of course is different because at that point she was coming from a place of deep humility. I don't have any issues with the impersonation scene; it's amusing and silly in the spirit of the show.