Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S06:E07 - Newbie Dash

Troblems

256 users have voted

1. 1. Thoughts on Newbie Dash?

• Best. Episode. EVER!
    • It was pretty great!
    • It needed to be about 20% cooler.
    • I would have preferred a 22 minute nap.
    • Worst. Episode. EVER!

(edited)

I'm considering dropping the show. If this season is going to have more episodes like this, then I don't want to watch it anymore. 

I told you people the quality of the show would go down without Larson, AKR, McCarthy, etc. 

If the fandom does end up sinking like the Titanic, they will be the ones to blame, mark my words.

Edited by vgmaster9

I really liked this episode, so glad Rainbow Dash's dream finally came true, granted I knew she'd eventually become a Wonderbolt, I loved seeing the Wonderbolts and enjoyed seeing Spitfire and Soarin especially, Rainbow Dash was great in this episode and seeing her work so hard to try and stand out as opposed to fitting in I can relate to. Also liked seeing her impressions of her friends and she was hilarious copying their mannerisms, I felt bad when she was called Rainbow Crash and she tried so hard to not be known as that. Scootaloo was adorable supporting Rainbow Dash and she shined too! A great episode with a great moral and lesson. 10/10!!

post-5578-0-82320300-1462661959_thumb.png

post-5578-0-78893200-1462661965_thumb.gif

post-5578-0-22394800-1462661971_thumb.gif

post-5578-0-09917400-1462661973_thumb.gif

post-5578-0-78571200-1462661980_thumb.gif

post-5578-0-58837900-1462661989_thumb.png

post-5578-0-11872400-1462662001_thumb.gif

post-5578-0-65965600-1462662005_thumb.png

• Brohoof 3

I have to admit that I really liked this episode since Rainbow Dash went from Wonderbolt Reservist to full-fledged Wonderbolt, even if she won't be with the team on tour so she can be with Twilight, Scootaloo, and the others back in Ponyville instead.

Plus, she learned a valuable lesson at how one should not take an embarrassing nickname so harshly, even if it was one she had all but put behind her after Flight Camp. All of the Wonderbolts had one from a bad first day impression on Spitfire, and even the Captain herself had one from when she embarrassed herself in front of her C.O. when she first joined the Wonderbolts.

All in all, very nice way for Rainbow to finally attain her dream of being a full-fledged Wonderbolt from being a Wonderbolt Reservist, and I give this episode a 10/10 from me.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

While this wasn't the best episode of the season, it's great to see Rainbow Dash finally achieve her dream of being a Wonderbolt. After 6 long seasons of watching her train and dream about it, it's finally happened. The end really put a smile on my face.

I did find it jarring that throughout the episode the entire team treated her like garbage, but then at the end they were like "We wur so excited u were on the team ur teh best flyer everrrrr!!" Then why treat her like crap? Sure she's the newbie and a little teasing doesn't hurt, but their attitudes through the episode did not reflect their thoughts at the end.

Seeing RD's impressions of the rest of the girls was pretty funny, I especially liked the Fluttershy and Rarity impressions.

While not the best episode story wise, this was a pivotal episode to Rainbow's character that will affect her well into the future. I wonder if this means RD focused episodes will be her with the Wonderbolt's, like how Rarity's are about her going to Manehattan? Guess we'll see.

Edited by takai
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

...I honistly didn't know what to think of this ep, but the pony personations made me laugh :)

I also hope none of my 'likes' in this thread offend anyone too badly. :<

Though i must say: shabb3r makes a nice point i think. Again, please don't be mad at me if you think differently....we're all pony fans, we're all friends, okay? :)

Edited by PinkuRiku
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't get something: on Rarity Investigates, RD has beaten the fastest pegasus alive, yet she can't beat the Wonderbolts?

ALSO that pegasus' nickname is "slowpoke". OHMYGOD

Edited by Flinp

To be fair about the OOC moments of the Wonderbolts: This episode WAS written by a new writer named Dave Rapp. 

As a rule, I believe you shouldn't judge an episode too harshly for OOC moments. Because the episode was the first one written by a new writer, you can't expect the writer to know the show and characters as well as the fanbase does!

"And you saved Equestria like a dozen times!"

OMG IT WAS FINALLY SAID!

Glad the Wonderbolts admit to that since they've been unable to protect Equestria repeatedly, with their biggest failure being against Discord and Lord Tirek.

Judging by everyone's thoughts so far, I am not at all surprised by the mixed reaction. Most people either like this episode a lot or absolutely despise it and are going to cease watching another episode ever again (a bit much if you asked me  :twi:).

I found the episode to be more enjoyable after subsequent viewings. 1 issue people had was Dashie imitating her friends. I honestly had no problem at all with that sequence. I found it absolutely hilarious and never in a million years would have imagined her imitating RARITY of all ponies (with the hair and fake eyelashes to boot  :proud:).  

(edited)
post-24370-0-13335900-1458514789.png

Wow- a lot of people seem pretty mad. It's a good thing that the new writer doesn't have a twitter I guess. :wau:

Anyway I watched it again to try and figure a couple things out. The main reason is the imitation scene. I didn't remember WHY/WHERE the hell she even came up with that idea.

Twilight said: "We're a team, but we all stand out in different ways." (Referring to Mane 6)

"Captain Awesome" says "That's it! I'm gonna stand out in a different way just like you guys!"

...and then we get Rainbow Dash BRILLIANTLY applying that knowledge to the dynamics of the Wonderbolts in the best way she knows how...? :catface:...???

*** EDIT*** Actually, apparently Rainbow Dash thought acting like that would get the Wonderbolts to change her nickname....? :catface:...???

Dash proves again that she is not a good "idea pony."- although the case is probably more likely a gag idea that sounded better on paper. It just was too dragged on.

I know a few people who have been in the military. Standing out and/or being a hotshot is not exactly something you want to do in an organization like that. It WILL get you attention, and not in a good way.

It just happened to be an unfortunate situation that that particular name ON TOP of her bad first impression really put her through a loop- stressing her out even more and negatively affecting her performance/reasoning.

Now as for the Wonderbolt ponies being "jerks"...

I didn't find it that outrageous. In the military you kind of need to develop a "tough skin" to an extent. Here's an example; let's say you're on the front line and your arm or something gets shot. You're kind of going to have to deal with that and keep it together (mentally) or you might die. The fact that someone may have called you a mean name that "hurt your wittle feewings" is going be pretty low on your list of life problems in a situation like that. If someone calling you a mean name really upsets you, the military probably isn't the place to be. :huh:

What makes getting a lesson out of the episode weird/muddy in my opinion, is that Rainbow Crash IS a trigger for Dash. She really did believe the Wonderbolts were ganging up on her. If she didn't have the childhood issues with the name, she probably would have gotten over it much faster and the episode would be clearer in it's direction.

As for Rainbow Dash finally becoming a Wonderbolt not being as big of a deal- I don't think this episode in particular is to blame. It's been dragged out over a few seasons already as it is.

So after watching it a second time, the only thing that kind of messes it up in my opinion are the impressions. A little too cringy and dragged out. It's not my favorite episode, but I thought it was OK overall. It could have been cleaned up a little more, especially the specific lesson.

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 3

In the words of Rainbow Dash, this episode was so awesome.  :wub: It was really great to see Rainbow finally realizing her dream and being a part of the Wonderbolts. I felt that I could relate to her first day when it came to my first day with work or school. It was really interesting to see how Rainbow was in her flashback before the times we see her defending Fluttershy and Gilda. My favorite part in the whole episode would have to be Rainbow impersonating the mane 6. It was also very impressive when Rainbow was acting like AJ, it sounded like we could hear both Rainbow and AJ saying the sentence at the same time. The whole cotton candy moment with Spike and Pinkie was hilarious, random and amazing. I also liked that we get to know the other names of the Wonderbolts and how they each got their nicknames when they first started. I do wonder though what Spitfires nickname was. All in all this was a very enjoyable episode and I am definitely looking forward to seeing more of Rainbow's time as a Wonderbolt in the future. 

• Brohoof 1

This was an episode that I was anxiously waiting for.

Not only was I dying to see RainbowDash officially become a full-fledged Wonderbolt, but I feel that she always needed to get a good and set reminder that she doesn't need to brag or show off all the time. I was also happy that Twilight Sparkle mentioned to RainbowDash that training might not be as easy as she may think. (Granted, RainbowDash did somewhat ignore it). I love seeing moments like this when RainbowDash realizes that she isn't perfect.

• Brohoof 3

Hey, since when does Ponyville have a Wonderbolt stadium? Oh, and why no Starlight? One of the major things among fans in No Second Prances was that Starlight didn't know what a Wonderbolt was. This would have been a great opportunity.

I don't understand why so many people are so negative about this episode. I admit that with a very objective view on things you could probably say that this episode was slighlty below average, but imo that doesn't really justify all the hate this episode is getting.

We had a couple of weaker episodes in the past seasons aswell, I don't think thats something to really worry about. The story might just build up on this episode.

Damn, I'm using "episode" way too often. x)

Anyway, I think that this episode ( :orly: ) was pretty nice.

The ending screen was just beautiful.

• Brohoof 3

Hey, since when does Ponyville have a Wonderbolt stadium? Oh, and why no Starlight? One of the major things among fans in No Second Prances was that Starlight didn't know what a Wonderbolt was. This would have been a great opportunity.

Looked more like a jumble of make-shift bleachers than an actual stadium to me. 

(edited)

I think this episode had a great message. Don't get ipset over playful banter.

The moral would've been way more receptive if the episode was very clear that it was playful and wasn't full of major implications. Instead, their persistent tone and Rainbow Dash's history of hurt by this insult don't translate it to fun, and the fact that everyone has a name related to incompetence doesn't help.

Secondly, just because it's "playful" doesn't mean it won't hurt nor should those feelings not count. People aren't robots; others may see it as a joke, but the person him, her, or hirself may see it otherwise. The Wonderbolts's culture of insults is a form of hazing, which is a humongous problem in so many fraternities, including the military. Because people have been injured or killed in hazing rituals in school, some municipal and state governments criminalized it.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 2

Why was Dash accepted as a wonderbolt in the beginning of the episode without any context or purpose whatsoever?  I mean like it's great she's a part of the team now but I felt like it was kinda random...

Also the impersonations made me cringe so bad.

I hate to say it but this episode was so bad.  2/5 stars

• Brohoof 1

I don't understand why so many people are so negative about this episode. I admit that with a very objective view on things you could probably say that this episode was slighlty below average, but imo that doesn't really justify all the hate this episode is getting.

We had a couple of weaker episodes in the past seasons aswell, I don't think thats something to really worry about. The story might just build up on this episode.

Damn, I'm using "episode" way too often. x)

Anyway, I think that this episode ( :orly: ) was pretty nice.

The ending screen was just beautiful.

Because god forbid someone criticizes an episode.

So a heck of a lot little late with this one. I had my cousin's first holy communion to go to and then Civil War! Anyways:

What I liked:

Rainbow Dash: I liked how she finally got to be a Wonderbolt and the joy that came with that! I also empathized a lot with her struggle to overcome her past nickname and the desire to be her best.

The Mane 6: HOLY FUCKING COW, THEY SPEAK!! I mean FFS this was Fluttershy's biggest outing yet and I really liked her here,especially since they brought up her past with Rainbow Dash. And the rest of the Mane 6 were really good here as well

Scootaloo: Loved her outburst as Rainbow Dash was accepted as a Wonderbolt and her confusion at Rainbow Dash's request at the end.

The Party: Loved that the Mane 6 would go out of their way to support Rainbow Dash and the heart-to-heart is something I like to see in this show.

What I didn't like:

Rainbow Dash: My word Rainbow, use your head and cool your ego! Maybe you should talk to the Wonderbolts about the namecalling and call them out on it before you do something reckless

The Wonderbolts: Hey jackasses, maybe you should let your new star flyer in on the namecalling BS so they understand why the fuck you're doing it instead of feeling like a letdown. 

What was meh: 

The Moral: I get what they were trying to go with and it partially worked for me but the meanspiritedness of the past name calling comes off as lackluster. I know they set up the Clipper part with Sorin but I felt it would have worked better if we (the audience) were in on why they did that.

What I don't know:

The Humor: Okay I know what they were going for with Rainbow's impersonation but I just don't know how to feel about them. I mean good job Ms. Ball but they seem like such a non-sequitur. 

So yeah I thought this was a decent episode. Wonderbolts are still jerks but overall I enjoyed myself. Not gold by any standards but I liked it. 

This is the 1st episode of season 6 I call it weak.

What I like:

+ Scootaloo

+ Spikabuse lol. It never gets old to me.

+ Spitfire's nickname, im curious...

What I dont like

- The Wonderbolt acted like assholes, again. My image about Wonderbolt has been ruined since Rainbow Fall and this ep didnt help.

- Dash can do better than that. If this ep happen before Wonderbolt Academy, I can torelate that... come on, writers...

- The jokes are cringe-worthy and mean-spirited. However, surprisingly, I have ability to enjoy and endure mean-spirited/cringe/awkward jokes (I am one guy who like What About Discord, Cider 6000...) so I will let it passs, for now...

I will watch this ep several times to improve my ratings. For now, it is a 5/10 episode.

I liked the moral. People should stop being hypersensitive about what people call them, and learn to just get along. That was a good friendship lesson.

On the other hand, the writing was cringey to the point that I had to pause it when RD was doing the impressions of the other Mane 6. This episode contained some of the shittiest dialogue that FiM has ever hosted, and that completely ruined the episode for me.

(edited)

Why was Dash accepted as a wonderbolt in the beginning of the episode without any context or purpose whatsoever?  I mean like it's great she's a part of the team now but I felt like it was kinda random...

They stated at the end they had been wanting her in the team for a while but there was no room in the roster. One of the Wonderbolts took a teaching job and there was now a slot open, so they jumped at the opportunity to finally get her on the team.

Edited by Truffles

The worst part of this episode was that Rarity's fabulous hat made me realize that I missed the Kentucky Derby!!!! :-o 

Seriously, I think that the episode was up there for me as a RD episode, and she was fantastic. 

This episode upset my 5 year old, but she loved it by the end and thought it was great. She hated the start because the Wonderbolts were being mean to her, and it was like the kids who were mean to her. Then she said it was okay because the Wonderbolts may have said the same name, but they weren't trying to hurt her, but the kids at flight school were.

Even though the Wonderbolt's tone was a little heavy handed at the start, if you ask me, by the end you could tell they love RD and are just teasing. Intent matters.

For what it's worth: I thought Dashie's impersonation of the Mane 6 was hilarious. 

Also...I can't let it go:  Rarity's fabulous hat - especially when she wanted no part of the wind the Wonderbolts caused. :D

large.png

They stated at the end they had been wanting her in the ream for a while but there was no room in the roster. One of the Wonderbolts took a teaching job and there was now a slot open, so they jumped at the opportunity to finally get her on the team.

True.  I forgot about that.  Thanks