Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Dub step program?

Axis Aurum

I have recently been looking into making music, I have been using a program but I've been hearing some music on pony.fm, and was wondering. What music maker or program do these people use for this music? If anybody can give me suggestions on a good beginner music making program that is free that would be awesome. Thanks for the help! (Btw, I can read music notes and beats fine. I play guitar and trombone)

One more thing, sorry I din say this before. If u know the program is on IOS, plz say because i mainly use iPad for most things and saying it would spare me the researching of whether an iOS version exists

On iOS your best bet is probably garage band - on computer you are looking for something called a DAW, and there are loads to choose from.

It is very much personal preference, anyone who says 'insert daw here is the best' is actually saying 'I like this one' because I can guarantee that there will be high profile musicians who don't like it at all, and other high profile musicians who love it.

A good few to start looking at are: FL Studio (on pc, their Mac version apparently isn't very stable), Ableton Live, Cubase, Pro Tools (if you are actually looking to record real instruments instead of using software synths, Pro Tools is pretty much the industry standard), Reaper (a little bit bare bones as far as included plugins, but fantastic price and still a very good option - especially if recording live instruments with need for many plugins), Reason and Logic (Mac only - and my own personal weapon of choice).

A few things to keep in mind, while they can all record live instruments, Pro Tools and Cubase are going to be better options than FL Studio for example, but in the flip side, FL and Ableton will be better for programming soft synths.

Also, most of these accept VST plugins (if you have heard of Native Instrments Massive, as an example, this is a plugin), Logic only accepts AU (audio units) - but if there is a VST of a plugin, there is almost certainly an AU version too, I've very rarely not been able to get anything because of this. Pro Tools only accepts RTAS (or AAX on older versions), which while fairly common, are much more limited compared to VST or AU and finally Reason only accepts 'rack extensions' which are very limited in availability (and a bit pricey). Ableton live accepts VST and AU plugins (on the Mac version, as I don't think AUs are Windows Compatible), Cubase might be the same, but don't quote me on that.

Also, Pro Tools requires an iLok and Cubase an eLicencer - both are hardware dongles required for the serials (copy protection), and iLok isn't compatible with eLicencer or vice versa, so if you have an iLok already, but want Cubase, you will also have to go out and buy an eLicencer to get it to work.

Finally, Macs come installed with GarageBand - which uses the same engine as Logic, so GB can be thought of Logic light. I started on it and it is very capable, so if you like the look of Logic, start in GB and once you need to do things you can't do in it, you can upgrade from there.

As for free Windows DAW's, I'm afraid I can't really help you, as I've been using OSX since before I started tracking music.

Hope this helps :)

• Brohoof 1

0-0 that's a lot of info X3. Thanks for the help, I use garage band (that was the program I said I already use). And I think I'll look into some of those other things. I really appreciate the advice ^-^

No worries, any more questions just ask - I'll try to answer to the best of my ability.

That's the issue with this topic, there is not short easy answer unfortunately XD

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I say start with LMMS if you're a Windows guy (it's free). Not much you can do with it, but it gives you an intro to the basics of a DAW and music making in general.

Once you're good with it, move onto GarageBand (if you have an iPad or Mac). If you don't, then get Mixcraft Studio for around $100, which is similar.

At stage 3, once you have intermediate knowledge of music making, save up and get FL Studio or Ableton. I warn you they are not cheap at $750. But they are used by the top people in the world of music, and are compatible with almost any instrument (they're technically better at synthetic sounds but will still work well) 

Ableton is compatible with Windows and Mac

FL Studio is compatible with Windows only (but a Mac version is currently in development)

Famous FL Studio users: Avicii, PON3, Martin Garrix, Deadmau5, Basshunter, Justin Lassen

Famous Ableton users: Skrillex and Diplo, Daft Punk, The Rapture

Edited by Shabb3r

Thanks for the help, my brother looked at FL and he liked the demo. It worked well but he went to lmms on his laptop because he liked that and it had a low price.

I agree with what Shabb3r said (I'd forgotten about LMMS - if memory serves, I think it is also on Linux?) - but if you are on a mac, start with Garageband (it's free). So yeah, start cheap/free before migrating to one of the 'bigger' daws.

But once you are ready to progress from there, there is no 'right' way to go, if FL or Ableton work for you, then great - but many people who make electronic music don't get on with them, and prefer one of the more 'traditional' daws.

You can find famous artists for any of the major options:

Logic: Linking Park, Chemical Brothers, BT, Depeche Mode, Nine Inch Nails, Rick Rubin, Gwen Stefani, Christina Aguilera and the soundtracks for Moon and Slumdog Millionaire were done on Logic (Hans Zimmer started on Logic)

Cubase: Kraftwerk, Justice, Junkie XL, Ladytron, Uberzone, Zedd, Deadmau5 (definitely used to use it but then again, he seems to have used about every major DAW out there, I'd really not be surprised if he uses many of them). 

Pro Tools: Too many to list (but I'm pretty sure that Skrillex composes in Ableton, but mixes in Pro Tools - which is a common practice with many producers).

I'm not trying to start an argument, but I am trying to highlight that any of the major DAWs can be used to make electronic music. Some are more geared to it, but then again, some people don't find the methods of Ableton/FL/etc that intuitive (I've tried to use FL in the past, but I just couldn't get on with it). 

So it really is worth checking out as many as you can, because as Shabb3r said - they are a big investment, and spending that much money on one and finding that you are struggling to get on with it, is really not a position that you want to get yourself into. 

Hey! I agree with the people above, LMMS is a great program if you are just starting out.

FL is great, I've used it a bit and its a great program

Cubase, Bitwig, Logic X and Garageband (Only for Mac), and Pro Tools are also amazing programs, but do cost a fair amount.

I, personally use Ableton Live. I have the 9 Suite version and love it. Its very clean and is one of the classics.

Artists like Skrillex, Eptic, The Chainsmokers, and Pegboard Nerds use Ableton. The list goes on.

• 4 months later...

A large amount of people use FL Studio, including my self. It's popular, versitile, and by the way, and I am NOT ADVOCATING FOR YOU TO DO SO,

but FL Studio can be cracked extremely easy by changing registry keys. A large amount of disadvantaged musicians do that. Don't do that. That's illegal.