Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should MLP have darker scenes?

HoovesOnIce

What about MLP makes its fan base so prone to these desires to make it edgier/darker/mature/political?? :scots:

If you want a darker kids show, go watch Gargoyles from the 90's. That's a good kind of dark, with a great villain. :orly:

Go watch the animated Star Wars: Clone Wars or Rebels series. They're meant for older audiences, what with all the conspiracies and killing et cetera.  :proud:

Friendship is Magic has had some darker moments, but it's meant to be a wholesome show that parents can feel comfortable watching with their kids or just having their kids watch it and not worry about them being exposed to mature themes. This is what makes is such a great escape from the rest of television these days. :smug:

You want dark MLP? I imagine it wouldn't be hard to find and go read MLP-Game of Thrones crossover fanfics or something, but please, please, please leave the show the ray of sunshine that it is meant to be! :(

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

What about MLP makes its fan base so prone to these desires to make it edgier/darker/mature/political?? :scots:

If you want a darker kids show, go watch Gargoyles from the 90's. That's a good kind of dark, with a great villain. :orly:

Go watch the animated Star Wars: Clone Wars or Rebels series. They're meant for older audiences, what with all the conspiracies and killing et cetera. :proud:

Friendship is Magic has had some darker moments, but it's meant to be a wholesome show that parents can feel comfortable watching with their kids or just having their kids watch it and not worry about them being exposed to mature themes. This is what makes is such a great escape from the rest of television these days. :smug:

You want dark MLP? I imagine it wouldn't be hard to find and go read MLP-Game of Thrones crossover fanfics or something, but please, please, please leave the show the ray of sunshine that it is meant to be! :(

Hey xantos and macbeth weren't that bad the pack and demona were . :) Edited by Luna 831

That as dark as the show will get. Trixie tried to kill herself because of Twilight sparkle.

I'd attribute it more to her lifetime of friendlessness and losing her chance at friendship with Starlight than exclusively with Twilight. 

To be honest, I don't necessarily need to see darker scenes come from the show.

What I enjoy about FIM, is the character and their interactions with eachother, the animation, songs, the fantasy setting, and some of the morals.

I don't think that it really needs to have any darker moments than what we have been getting sense season 1.

If there had to be some sort of "Dark" moments to come out of the series, than I would be okay with ones such as when Twilight thought Celestia was dead, and when Tirek destroyed Twilight's library and the whole fight between them that followed.

But I think anything similar to that would be best suited for the 2017 movie or the season 6 finale.

It must be lonely on those long days traveling in the wagon. She needs a boyfriend or husband to love her, as well as platonic friends.

As for dark themes, I think I know how Uatu from Marvel's What If? comics feels now, having visited some of the more horrid alternities presented in the fanfiction realm a month or two earlier. If letting more cynical and less optimistic writers in on the show's canon universe would mean the possibility of things getting THAT bad, it brings me a strange comfort to know the Equus-Prime universe is protected by Hasbro's personal Slider-Cage.

By the way, is there an article that said parents complained about Trixie almost becoming an entree onscreen? Can you link? I'd be interested to see what they said exactly.

• 3 weeks later...

Trixie practically tried to kill herself last episode. That's pretty dark. 

Eh, I think she would have been fine; The manticore took a bow afterwards, implying that its savageness was a total act.

If Trixie hadn't been ported out it would have probably spit her out: Much worse for the wear of course (she was quite loopy from the indeavor after all), but most probably not life threateningly injured.

I'm very sure that the show has always had dark scenes without needing to push the edge on its darkness (such as Stare Master or Lesson Zero). It doesn't need to be hardcore for it to be completely enjoyable in my opinion, and that's what fanworks are always for.

I have noticed that the later seasons are actually somewhat darker than the earlier ones.

Nah, I think the show is fine where it's at. It's fine to have a show that's purely fun and jovial. We can get serious on occasion, but I prefer when the show is silly.