Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do cartoon NEED adult humor?

ManaMinori

Do you guys think that cartoons NEED to have adult humor, references, and quips, to be entertaining of the older audiences? Can a cartoon be 100% innocent and wholesome, and SILL attract older people, without use of adult humor?

Is adult humor even humorous, in a place where the target demographic wouldn't even grasp it?

Um, i enjoy innocent Cartoons.

I like the old Mlp Shows, i also like the very old Superhero Cartoons from Filmation and Hannah Barbera.

I dont think Cartoons need adult humor, because there are Cartoons for Adults and the Cartoons not for Adults...are not for Adults so i dont think they need Adult humor.

I enjoy Mlp for its innocence because i dont want to watch Series with Adult Jokes every time, because i dont even like most " Adult " Jokes.

I dont need that to be entertained, i mean i dont even feel like an Adult...since they year i became 18, literally nothing changed.

Yeah, i become older but i still dont like Adult Humor that much. I dont really need that.

(edited)

What about the cartoons that are for adults like Family Guy or South Park, or like 20% of anime? Yes, because if they didn't have it they wouldn't be funny. Although... well, that's just my opinion lol

Kids cartoons don't NEED adult humour, no, but mlp doesn't NEED to give the fans shipping material, Derpy, all the Brony references, and be so active on Twitter and in support of the community, but they are. It brings in a more warm* fanbase

Edited by ARagY
  • Brohoof 1

yes, long as it is subtle. After all, parents will probably be watching the shows with their kids and as any tv company knows, its the parents who control the remote so a slight nod to the older people watching cartoons can go along way in terms of a show being a hit or not.

• Brohoof 1

What about the cartoons that are for adults like Family Guy or South Park, or like 20% of anime? Yes, because if they didn't have it they wouldn't be funny. Although... well, that's just my opinion lol

Kids cartoons don't NEED adult humour, no, but mlp doesn't NEED to give the fans shipping material, Derpy, all the Brony references, and be so active on Twitter and in support of the community, but they are. It brings in a more warm* fanbase

no, those cartoons are made for adults, so they can have the adult humor. Spngebob, Loony Tunes, MLP, etc. Thag are family shows or specifically younger target demo

yes, long as it is subtle. After all, parents will probably be watching the shows with their kids and as any tv company knows, its the parents who control the remote so a slight nod to the older people watching cartoons can go along way in terms of a show being a hit or not.

so a parent needs adult humor to be able to tolerate watching a show with their kid, because it's impossible to keep the adult's attention, with the good character development and storytelling?

so a parent needs adult humor to be able to tolerate watching a show with their kid, because it's impossible to keep the adult's attention, with the good character development and storytelling?

Sometimes, Yes. Adult humour doesn't have to be crude or anything. Sometimes it just being something a parent understands or knows is enough. An example I can remember is from the show "Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends" where during one episode, the character Bluu is in disguise (a bad one at that) and when asked what his name is he replies "Orlando Bluum"

A child watching the show may not think on this much, but any adult watching will know the name is a reference to actor Orlando Bloom (aka Legolas from Lord of the Rings :P)

• Brohoof 2

Depends on the cartoon. Ones aimed at children? No, should be avoided or at least very subtle. Ones aimed towards a more adult audience, (like Family Guy and South Park)? Doesn't strictly speaking need it, but it's not likely to be popular if it hasn't got it.

(edited)

A good cartoon shouldn't have to resort to adult humour, unless it's specifically trying to appeal to only one demographic. I feel like this forceful need to categorize is an unhealthy trend that has become stronger in recent years. When I look at stuff like Spirited Away or even Lilo & Stitch (granted, these are movies), I get reminded of a time where a cartoon was something an entire family could watch and enjoy, without having to worry about segregating age groups.

Edited by CloudsdaleCompanion
  • Brohoof 1

no, those cartoons are made for adults, so they can have the adult humor. Spngebob, Loony Tunes, MLP, etc. Thag are family shows or specifically younger target demo

Looney Tunes has a ton of adult humor and content. I hope you're not saying that's a show that doesn't have it. There's a lot of references to the political climate of the time, smoking and drinking up the wazoo, etc.

'Adult humor' is quite overrated to be honest. A cartoon doesn't really need anything like that if the cartoon is good. Most adult humor nowadays feels really, really forced and as a result, I have little interest in most 'adult ' shows. 

• Brohoof 1

It doesn't exactly need adult humor. In fact, humor isn't a prerequisite at all, considering serious, dramatic, and action stories have all worked well in animation before. I personally find mature thematic elements better, but your mileage may vary.

• Brohoof 1

FiM is extremely light on adult humor. Like the only legitimate adult joke I've even accepted is that one with Spike and 'spiking the punch' or whatever it was... The thing is I didn't even find that joke funny, but I've found FiM's innocent humor to be very funny. That should give you an idea of my opinion on this subject.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Do you guys think that cartoons NEED to have adult humor, references, and quips, to be entertaining of the older audiences? Can a cartoon be 100% innocent and wholesome, and SILL attract older people, without use of adult humor?

Is adult humor even humorous, in a place where the target demographic wouldn't even grasp it?

First we need to realize Adult Humour doesn't equal a Instantly funny show, and that Adult Humour itself only works to extent, and that Adult Humour is generally funny because it speaks with people at the time. This means that Adult Humour can become dated after a long period of time and lose it comedic effect.

No cartoon needs adult humour to be funny or emotional; for me some of the funniest situations generally come from how characters interact with each other and how those interactions create situations that every human must go through in life while still be able to poke fun at it.

Adult Humour is usually used for shock value at worst and "OH! Look funny reference!" at best, and I feel that most Adult Humour will overtime become dated and cheesy. 

Edited by Misty Path
  • Brohoof 1

They don't need it, but I think it's better to have it than not to, so that parents can bear their kids enjoying themselves rather than cringing the whole time. We once had a toddler over and he was watching Super Why, I would've more likely beared it if I kept hearing sex jokes.

would say yes i mean look a disney films mostly for children but have many subtle adult jokes usualy sexual inuendos but they are there to be fun for the adults watching it

would say yes i mean look a disney films mostly for children but have many subtle adult jokes usualy sexual inuendos but they are there to be fun for the adults watching it

if you need to have sex, violence, or drug jokes in a family or kid cartoon to enjoy it with your brat, then I think that speaks volumes about the parent. there's something wrong with them, clearly (and industry that allows it to be put in there) to need such things in what should be an innocent children's program

i personaly dont agree i am not talking about those kind of jokes take the new disney film zootopia the rabbit judy says rabbits are good at multiplication (get it?) it is to make it a little more enjoyable for the parent it has been a staple in many disney films since before the first toy story its too keep the parents at least a little engaged it doesnt require them but it is a nic touch that is added

• 2 weeks later...

MLP was pretty good keeping a balance on things and still appearing very innocent and lighthearted. 

Adult humor is needed for older audiences though otherwise it's not stimulating enough.

• 5 years later...

Any humor but fart humor. Adult is not needed for success of a cartoon (that adults watch)... Unless it is meant for adults only, then it is much needed!