Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming What's your name in Zelda?

gamecubeguy214

Do you give yourself a name other than Link in Zelda? Because my friend said that he likes to go along with the story in those games, and I saw my brother use the name Link as well. However, when wathcing walkthroughs, I saw people use other names, often their YouTube names, so that makes me wonder about your guys' names in Zelda. My name in Zelda is GCG214, and that's what I name myself in every game. If it fits, I use Gcguy214 instead of GCG. What's yours?

(edited)

No matter what game I play it is always Tinkkerbelle or just Tinkk. :) so yep, Link is now Tinkk! lol

Edited by Stardust*
  • Brohoof 1

I've had some moments where I wanted to name Link another name, one that U remembered using was "Cry", as that is my nickname my friend calls me.

But now, I stick with the basics and choose "Link".

I never understood why they'd let you change Link's name. He's an established character. There's no reason for it. Same goes for his silence. The only reason both are still part of the series is literally fan demand. Nothing more.

I usually name him after my real name, Natalie (Or Tia, my short name). But sometimes if I want to, I will name him something stupid. For example, in my old TP game, before it got corrupted and had to start again, I chose the name ''Jimjongo'' A fusion with one of my worst best friends ever, Jimmy, and the Zelda enemy, Dodongo, his favorite enemy. I corrupted it on purpose :) Screw you Jimmy

Kyoshi. :3 That is the name I always go with. However I had to go with Kyo in Link's Awakening. Not enough space for my full name. XD

I never understood why they'd let you change Link's name. He's an established character. There's no reason for it. Same goes for his silence. The only reason both are still part of the series is literally fan demand. Nothing more.

I think it is something like representing that YOU are the legendary hero. The only explanation I can give at this point.

OBJECTION!

No, it's not becaue of fan demand. There are several real reasons why you can name the hero:

That's because the player IS Link.

By naming him, the player would feel more LIKE they're actually the hero saving the land.

The name canon "Link" is given because he is literally a link between the player and the main Hero of the games.

The "established character" of "Link" is actually no more than a humble, courageous hero. They keep it simple for players to imagine that they've the hero.

"Link" is canon in other games like "Super Smash Bros.", where you can't name the hero, but still know it's the hero of the "Legend of Zelda" series.

The reason why "Link" is silent is because if he were to talk in the games, it would make him feel like a separate character from the player.

Many of the above reasons are the same reasons why you name the "Pokemon Trainer" you play as: YOU ARE the Pokemon Trainer.

I rest my case.

Rob. That's my name. I've never used Link.

OH!

ZELDA to get to the Second Quest in original Legend Of Zelda.

Kyoshi. :3 That is the name I always go with. However I had to go with Kyo in Link's Awakening. Not enough space for my full name. XD

I think it is something like representing that YOU are the legendary hero. The only explanation I can give at this point.

OBJECTION!

No, it's not becaue of fan demand. There are several real reasons why you can name the hero:

That's because the player IS Link.

By naming him, the player would feel more LIKE they're actually the hero saving the land.

The name canon "Link" is given because he is literally a link between the player and the main Hero of the games.

The "established character" of "Link" is actually no more than a humble, courageous hero. They keep it simple for players to imagine that they've the hero.

"Link" is canon in other games like "Super Smash Bros.", where you can't name the hero, but still know it's the hero of the "Legend of Zelda" series.

The reason why "Link" is silent is because if he were to talk in the games, it would make him feel like a separate character from the player.

Many of the above reasons are the same reasons why you name the "Pokemon Trainer" you play as: YOU ARE the Pokemon Trainer.

I rest my case.

I have an objection to making characters completely silent in order to let the player "immerse" themselves as the hero. I find the silence breaks any and all immersion there could have been.

Link has a story in every single game.. You have no actual choice in what he says or does. All I see with Link is a silent doll that I have control over. If you want me to immerse myself as the hero then you let me make the character from the ground up ala Elder Scrolls. The only thing Link doesn't have that every talking protagonist does is actual dialog. By design I consider him one of the most shallow protagonists in all of gaming.

(edited)

I name him Zelda. >:)

No... Actually, I just name him Link. But that's actually a funny idea to tick off gamer nerds.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 3

Another thing to support this is that the majority of people are right handed, and Twilight Princess Wii is mirrored to that Link is right handed, to support that, as you said, YOU are the legendary hero.

Another thing to support this is that the majority of people are right handed, and Twilight Princess Wii is mirrored to that Link is right handed, to support that, as you said, YOU are the legendary hero.

Actually, that was due to the Wii mote control screen. They switched it back to left handed for the HD remake.

• Brohoof 1