Katze

DVD screensaver corner bounce!

post-37786-0-54329800-1462800336_thumb.png                                              post-37786-0-41568600-1462800226.gif

I always thought I was just weird, maybe I still am  :adorkable: , but did anypony else used to stare at the DVD screensaver waiting for it to bounce perfectly in the corner?

My parents would walk in and ask what I was doing, and I would tell them I can't look away, that it was close. They would then look at each other and close the door slowly.

I always watches those things too when I was young XD Good ol' times I tell ya.

Yay I'm not crazy  :lie: that or not the only crazy one.

It feels satisfying when the DVD screensaver hits the corner!

If you want a screen saver to watch, the best one ever is called "Johnny Castaway" for Windows 3.1:

It was random, I could sit for hours watching that guy scratch his butt!

As for DVD logo bumping the corners of your TV, that's really easy programming. You just negate the X and Y coords.

Oh my goodness!! I used to do that all the time! I still might if I see it.

Pfffft you weirdos, I do that still if I use DVD yet like I mean something relaxing seeing it just do its thing. Do your thing and be yourself as no matter how many times you hit a wall you will bounce off it and continue living your life. That's what it taught me.

One of the early computer games was "breakout" (or some variation on that name; early in the history of computer games, you couldn't copyright/patent the concept of a game so anything successful ended up with a thousand clones)

game.gif

so bouncing-object logos always remind me of that.

On 5/9/2016 at 8:31 AM, Katze said:

did anypony else used to stare at the DVD screensaver waiting for it to bounce perfectly in the corner?

Yes. Yes I did. And no, I don't think I ever saw it bounce perfectly into a corner no matter how long I watched it :twismile:

I never really did watch the screen saver. I didn't realize the importance of it bouncing off of the corner until recently.

Lol, yeah I remember watching those all the time.

I'd get so hyped whenever the DVD thing hit the corner directly. :laugh:

Badges

I have much better things to do…like counting all the tiles on my bathroom floor, and if I’m really bored, naming them. :lostit:

• Brohoof 1
  • Hug 1

Oh yeah!! I remember I would get a little frustrated when I thought it was going to hit and it didn't. 

A very cheap screensaver, you have to realize, most money is spent on acquiring the mpeg2 codec rights. Fun when it is shit compared to mpeg4 of today!

There’s nothing more satisfying than witnessing it hit the corner. :ticking:

Damn, I thought I was the only person in the world who got a kick out of this. I can't explain why it was just so satisfying when that little icon hit the corner perfectly but it was :D

Badges

DVD sucks. It is an old format that doesn't work well on computers or new TVs, because of the interlaced format

On 5/10/2020 at 4:11 AM, CypherHoof 🐎 said:

One of the early computer games was "breakout" (or some variation on that name; early in the history of computer games, you couldn't copyright/patent the concept of a game so anything successful ended up with a thousand clones)

game.gif

so bouncing-object logos always remind me of that.

Did you play Arkanoid too by any chance:ooh:

Also, another well known game that bounces balls on the walls is Snood. Based on Bust-A-Move (Puzzle Bobble). I couldn't get my mom to stop playing Snood back in the XP days! :laugh:

13 hours ago, Splashee® said:

Did you play Arkanoid too by any chance:ooh:

Also, another well known game that bounces balls on the walls is Snood. Based on Bust-A-Move (Puzzle Bobble). I couldn't get my mom to stop playing Snood back in the XP days! :laugh:

Sure, but they were all derivative of that original breakout game (which was itself derivative of pong, of course)