Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Yep, it's pretty obvious that they're the Blue Angels in pony form, between the color scheme, that they do aerial shows, etc.  Here's a few close up still shots.

The-Blue-Angels.jpeg

BlueAngels.jpg

Also, the leather pilot jackets:  here's one from 1952

ae9058627696eb510a78c8c378ae81eb.jpg

HP9F4817-blue-angels-flight-jacket-emble

And the Ponies:

the_wonderbolts_by_dm29-d8300qp.png

full.png

Fan Art!

1150050__safe_rainbow+dash_wonderbolts_n

• Brohoof 2

Back when I was in 4th grade, the Blue Angels started doing airshows from what is now called Miami Executive Airport. Our house was only a mile or two away and lined right up with runway 27R. So when they did their wide, sweeping 180 degree turn to head back to the show site, they flew right over it.

The first day of the show (Friday) I was walking home from school and I heard a noise behind me. I turned around and there were four F18's approaching from the southeast. They must have seen me - this kid walking by himself down the street - because they flew so low and so slow, I could make out the rivets on the underside of the wings!

Needless to say, I was ecstatic. It still feels nice to know some pilots I didn't even know went out of their way to made a kid feel special. (I was dancing and whooping it up in the street - the neighbors must have thought I was crazy). On the following two days when they did the same maneuver, I managed to film it but they didn't fly as low those times, so it wasn't as impressive the spectacle.

The shows lasted for a few years after that, but then several of the neighborhood associations got together and petitioned the county to force the Angels to move to another airport. Very disappointing.  :dry:

• Brohoof 2

Back when I was in 4th grade, the Blue Angels started doing airshows from what is now called Miami Executive Airport. Our house was only a mile or two away and lined right up with runway 27R. So when they did their wide, sweeping 180 degree turn to head back to the show site, they flew right over it.

The first day of the show (Friday) I was walking home from school and I heard a noise behind me. I turned around and there were four F18's approaching from the southeast. They must have seen me - this kid walking by himself down the street - because they flew so low and so slow, I could make out the rivets on the underside of the wings!

Needless to say, I was ecstatic. It still feels nice to know some pilots I didn't even know went out of their way to made a kid feel special. (I was dancing and whooping it up in the street - the neighbors must have thought I was crazy). On the following two days when they did the same maneuver, I managed to film it but they didn't fly as low those times, so it wasn't as impressive the spectacle.

The shows lasted for a few years after that, but then several of the neighborhood associations got together and petitioned the county to force the Angels to move to another airport. Very disappointing.  :dry:

awww...that's quite a nice story!  :love:  I must say I miss air shows so much, I haven't been to one in more than a decade!!  :(

It is true that the Wonderbolts are based on the Blue Angels. Given that the Blue Angels are famous in American culture, most of the show's initial staffers were American (before DHX was hired), and the color scheme is the same, the parallel is obvious. I think the show staff has cited the Blue Angels by name before. Other aerial display teams may factor in, but the Blue Angels are pretty much the Trope Codifier.

I've seen the Blue Angels a few times. They used to do shows over Coney Island and flew over Brooklyn quite a bit back in the day. They've since shifted to appearing at Jones Beach since the Brooklyn airshows ended. They're heading back to Jones Beach at the end of this month.

I only wonder if they can give Bulk Biceps a supporting role as an equivalent to "Fat Albert".

maxresdefault.jpg

Red Arrows are better...

JK, I've got respect for anyone who has the guts to throw an aeroplane around like these guys and live to tell the tale, no matter their nationality  :pinkie: