Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Best examples of awesome powers in video games?

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

Video games can make us feel a multitude of things. One of these great things that they can do is make us feel POWERFUL. Like gods sometimes. Like we can do just about anything. A way that some games do this is fit us with many powers and abilities that we can wreak havoc with against our enemies and it can make us feel like such badasses.

What I want this discussion to be for is this: What are, to you, great examples of awesome powers done right in games? What games do you think really make you feel empowered for one reason or another? What powers do you think are the most fun in this category?

One game that I feel is vastly underrated is Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy. While the later levels were kinda meh, this game was firggin sweet. The powers it gives you make you feel nearly unstoppable at times, with this game having one of the first awesome uses of Telekinesis in gaming. I could play that game for hours, throwing guys around and even picking them up and dropping them into their own traps. I feel like that game took powers and made them actually feel so immensely powerful and satisfying to use.

Psi-Ops_-_The_Mindgate_Conspiracy_Covera

Most Platinum games do a great job of making your powers help you feel like a complete badass(Bayonetta, Wonderful 101, MGR, etc)

I'd have to say the Screw Attack from the Metroid Series. Not only does it signify the near end of the game, but you can barrel through every enemy with just a Somersault.

(edited)

Bioshock's plasmids. Want to shoot fire from your hands? You can do that. What about electricity? Yep. Ice? Check. BEES!? You bet ya. 

Not sure if it counts, but by the final act of every Ratchet and Clank game the title character is a one man armory just tearing through swaths of enemies with increasingly absurd weapons, especially if you took the time to grind for the RYNO.   

Edited by PoisonClaw

Definitely a lot of the ultimate jutsus executed in the Naruto Shippuden: Nina Storm games! I love watching gameplay of free/online battles just to see the sheer power in the character's moves and abilities. 

Say what you will about the Legend of Korra video game that was developed by Platinum Games, the combat system was really great. Especially during the final boss where you take control of the avatar state.

• 5 years later...

Many super-abilities in Destiny 2 are amazing, but I specifically love the Nova Bomb, especially when you equip it to slowly travel towards the nearest enemy and spread into mini nova bombs when it is destroyed that also travel to the nearest enemy. It just looks so cool!