Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Atheist bronies: Why not chat a bit?

Kharkov

Basically I saw the Christian Brony Blog and thought it was a good idea and thus I have created the Atheist Alternate

Note: Though this shouldn't need to be said I am not against religion, I just have a different way of thinking.

• Brohoof 9

I honestly rather not classify myself in terms of religion but I guess to be technical I am an athiest...I'm not entirely sure...Part of me wishes I could go back to when I believed in a god but was anti religion...But I faced too much pain and seen others suffer to the point where it's hard to believe there is any benevolent god out there.

My boyfriend is an atheist though...A very sweet atheist. Love atheists, they're fun to talk to.

• Brohoof 1

Fellow atheist right here. Oddly enough there *was* a thread for this but for some unknown reason it was locked and I am not sure if it was ever unlocked. Kinda odd.

Anywho, I have been an atheist since I was about 13 or so. Over time I also became more anti-religion as well. I am fine if someone is religious, but for religion as a whole? I am not entirely fond of it to be honest.

• Brohoof 3

Atheist here too. I have been watching a lot of the VeganAtheist's vids on youtube, as well as some Atheist Experience vids.

For clarification to anyone who reads this thread and may not know what the word atheist means, it simply means: The rejection of the belief in a diety/dieties due to the lack of supporting evidence. It does not mean the belief that there cannot be a diety (that is antitheism). I find I have to post that in any thread about atheism as many seem to not know the definition. I hope this clears up any issues that some non-atheists posting here in the future may have.

• Brohoof 2

I was agnostic as a child, then identified as an agnostic atheist as a teen, and have ever since.

Like Sam Harris, I hope we eventually reach a point in our discourse where we no longer need the term "atheist".  It shouldn't be necessary to label a group as "not believing in things based on insufficient evidence".  That should simply be the default.

• Brohoof 2

Atheist here too. I have been watching a lot of the VeganAtheist's vids on youtube, as well as some Atheist Experience vids.

For clarification to anyone who reads this thread and may not know what the word atheist means, it simply means: The rejection of the belief in a diety/dieties due to the lack of supporting evidence. It does not mean the belief that there cannot be a diety (that is antitheism). I find I have to post that in any thread about atheism as many seem to not know the definition. I hope this clears up any issues that some non-atheists posting here in the future may have.

This is a strange post to me. As far as I know, atheism is strictly 'not having a religious of belief at all', not the rejection of it. Saying it is the rejection of religious belief makes it sound like religion is the default position, which is incorrect. We are not born with a religious belief, it is put upon us later, potentially.

Another thing, saying it is not a belief that there strictly cannot be a deity is also incorrect, that is technically agnostic. I am an atheist and I am fairly convinced there are no religious deities of any kind.

(edited)
The rejection of the belief in a diety/dieties due to the lack of supporting evidence.

No its not. Its simply not having a religion or belief in a deity. Rejection is the word that theists use, and for a very particular reason.

Edited by Buck Testa
  • Brohoof 2

This is a strange post to me. As far as I know, atheism is strictly 'not having a religious of belief at all', not the rejection of it. Saying it is the rejection of religious belief makes it sound like religion is the default position, which is incorrect. We are not born with a religious belief, it is put upon us later, potentially.

Another thing, saying it is not a belief that there strictly cannot be a deity is also incorrect, that is technically agnostic. I am an atheist and I am fairly convinced there are no religious deities of any kind.

The word Reject means: dismiss as inadequate, inappropriate, or not to one's taste. So I used it properly above.

As per the second point, an atheist does not believe that there is a diety due to a lack of evidence. A lack of evidence does not mean that there CANNOT be one, just that it is probable that there is not one. (The lack of evidence and therefore the lack of belief).  And no, saying "I do not believe in a diety due to lack of evidence, but cannot say one does not exist" is an atheist statement, not an agnostic one. Agnostic statements are a statement of knowledge (or lack there of) and atheist statements are a statement of belief (or lack there of).

No its not. Its simply not having a religion or belief in a deity. Rejection is the word that theists use, and for a very particular reason.

I said "rejection of belief in..." not "rejection of 'god'". And like I posted above including the definition of the word rejection. I am aware of how theists use the "rejection of 'god'" argument, and it makes no sense.

I'm also an atheist. I was raised that way.

I don't know if that gives me a unique perspective or not... I'd guess not. It probably just means I'm more ignorant about religion than people who were raised in religious households and became atheists later.

For the record, I have nothing against most religious people. Some of the best friends I've had were hardcore Christians.

Ah, but atheism isn't about religious belief, either. It pertains solely to the idea of a deity. If you lack belief in deities, than you are an atheist. Atheists can still be religious. From what I've heard there are like Buddhists that don't believe in a deity. I do not know much about Eastern religions, so that's all I know.

Atheism comes from the Ancient Greek word atheos meaning "godless" (literally, a- "without" and theos "god/deity"). Hence, it's simply a lack of a belief in the existence of some kind of deity. Personally, I classify myself as an atheist, although, I'm more of an agnostic-atheist. I mean, from what I can observe, from my current knowledge and understanding of the universe, I find the existence of a God to be very unlikely and unfavorable for how the world work. There could be a God, it's not entirely impossible and I can't prove or disprove it, but it's just as likely that there's a bunch of invisible, neon-pink elephants floating around in the sky. You can't see them, you can't prove they're there, the best you can do is "have faith" in that they exist. However, if I had to place my money on whether or not they existed (both a God and the elephants), I would most certainly say they don't (even though I don't know and can't know for 100% sure, I'm only 99.9% sure).

Technically, you could be atheist and believe in some religion that lacks deities all together, but then that would make it more of a philosophy than a religion. I personally can't stand religion, ESPECIALLY the really dogmatic and evangelical ones (such as many forms of Christianity and Islam)... Nothing, in my opinion, should be completely dogmatic; dogmatism just freaking goes against how my brain operates, and even more so it goes against science. Unlike dogmatic practices, science is very dynamic and ever changing. We will never truly understand the universe in all its entirety, and what we know (scientifically/empirically) changes practically every second of every day, because... well, that's how science works; we build off of what we've already observed and 'know' about things, then we form hypotheses and test them, forever, without end, expanding and changing our understandings. Religion and dogmatic practices on the other hand claim access to profound knowledge without any proof what-so-ever, and declares them as undeniably true without concrete evidence.

Another thing I'd like to point out, is how religious texts such as the bible can be so vague and farfetched that you can literally use it to argue anything you want; pulling out random lines and interpreting them to how the individual likes. This ironically leads to different interpretations and arguments/feuds within the same religion (despite it being dogmatic), or even abuse of the text for personal gain. Oh, religion... I've noticed that more emotional people tend to be more religious, as religion often plays on one's emotions. And I also think humans in general have a fundamental longing for religion or some kind of belief, since most cultures have developed some form of religion or something similar. So I guess it most likely served some sort of evolutionary advantage, possibly helping with altruism, prolonging life/happiness, and creating unity among groups since humans are social animals. I, however, and I assume other people, lack this ability to so readily believe and accept religion, yet I still need to fill up that 'missing hole' with something, usually filling it with stories, imagination, fantasy oriented things, etc.

My parents aren't religious, my dad and I sharing the same view on the matter, however, my grandparents are pretty much the epitome of religious... We usually have to lie to make them happy and avoid any unwanted drama/chaos, which ironically we hate lying to them and feel bad about it. I want to be honest with them, to be able to calmly and comfortably discuss my view of the world with them, but I can't. From their point of view, if I don't believe in God then I'm going to hell, and the last thing they want is their grandchild to go to hell; it would probably scare the hell out of them (pun intended), break their heart, destroy the family, and cause all kinds of emotional drama. I guess I'd rather them be content believing that I believe, than them to know the truth, just as I'd rather them be content believing their stupid religious beliefs, than to take that away from them and make their lives miserable. Ignorance is bliss I guess; sometimes I wish I could actually believe in a God and afterlife so maybe the world could seem a little brighter and more magical, but I literally can't. :P

You guys should watch this video; it's pretty awesome if you haven't seen it already:

I appreciate how so far all the atheists who have come around he don't act like they are better than theists.

Because...With all the negativity surrounding the Christian movement (not saying it isn't warranted) sometimes I forget that there are some atheists that I should probably avoid.

As an atheist I do wish for more positivity and representation for Muslims, Buddhists, and Jewish people...I would love to learn about their faiths.

Hey! Been an atheist for around 12 years now.

It's funny that for some reason certain people can't accept atheism as a valid alternative to their religious tendencies.

Some people told me that I'm just looking for an excuse to not worship god, so I'm pretending there isn't one.

I'm not quite atheist because I don't necessarily oppose the idea of god, but I have a major beef with religious institutions. I've spent a lot of time self reflecting about my religious views because as I get older, I see more and more how corrupt and controlling religion can be. This comes from growing up in a controlling religion and seeing how hypocritical and totalitarian they can be.

Question for you guys who do consider yourself atheist. Are you more against the idea of god, or just religion in general like me? I've met people who oppose religion as a lifestyle/institution but not necessarily the idea of god, and still consider themselves atheist. Is that not true atheism? That's why I don't consider myself an atheist. I'm not sure it counts if you don't completely oppose the idea of god.

I don't oppose the idea of god either but i find it difficult to have faith in something that is entirely by its vary nature outside our perception flies in the face of all reason and logic. God is a great idea dont get me wrong but like all other things in life its in the hands of fallible humans who can/will use it how they want. Which means inevitably that it will be corrupted as all extremism inevitably does. 

I personally like to hold myself to the same values wiccans do though. (Do no harm to anyone, which includes yourself.) There is something to be said about having your own code of honor that gives you a sense of moral purity that i can only assume the staunchly religious also feel.

(edited)

I'm not quite atheist because I don't necessarily oppose the idea of god, but I have a major beef with religious institutions. I've spent a lot of time self reflecting about my religious views because as I get older, I see more and more how corrupt and controlling religion can be. This comes from growing up in a controlling religion and seeing how hypocritical and totalitarian they can be.

Question for you guys who do consider yourself atheist. Are you more against the idea of god, or just religion in general like me? I've met people who oppose religion as a lifestyle/institution but not necessarily the idea of god, and still consider themselves atheist. Is that not true atheism? That's why I don't consider myself an atheist. I'm not sure it counts if you don't completely oppose the idea of god.

Well, if you're simply against religion then I guess that would make you 'antireligious' (antimeaning "against"), which could mean anything from being opposed to organized religion, as you described, or simply opposing religion in a broader sense, as in beliefs in higher power or the supernatural. Atheism, however, at least colloquially and in vogue, is often mistaken as antireligious. Someone can be atheist but not be antireligious, and I guess you could be antireligious without being atheist as well, depending on how your defining "antireligious", since most religions are based around some kind of divine power or God(s) (otherwise they become philosophy).

Me personally, I'm both atheist and antireligious, however, I don't 'oppose' the idea of God, I simply find its existence very very unlikely. And as for being antireligious, I guess I oppose religion in the broader sense as it almost always conflicts with empirical thought, but I usually don't actively oppose it as I prefer to avoid conflicts on the matter.

I personally like to hold myself to the same values wiccans do though. (Do no harm to anyone, which includes yourself.) There is something to be said about having your own code of honor that gives you a sense of moral purity that i can only assume the staunchly religious also feel.

I find it's often quite ironic how atheists or areligious people can be more moral and have more empathy than religious people, yet religious people, especially the extremists, can sometimes dismiss us as "lacking morals" or being "horrible people" or whatever... Like in their mind you have to be religious in order to be a good person or something, heh.

I'm a bit nihilistic when it comes to morals and I get confused a lot, I don't really believe in universal rights or wrongs, but in the end I just try to do the things that'll make the most people happy including myself, will get me in the least amount of trouble or conflict (in a given environment/context), and simply respecting people hoping they respect me in return, and if I don't agree with them on something I can hear them out, but I shouldn't expect to change them. Of course these things clash sometimes, but such is life.  :lol:

Edited by Poly Lingua
  • Brohoof 1

In terms of the overarching idea of "is there a god" the answer isn't if I'm for or against it, I simply believe the evidence does not support the claim. 

As for religion: I'm pretty outspoken against religious institutions on this site, but most of my beef is centered towards the Abrahamic faiths and their rampant corruption and history of bloodshed that continues to this day. I have a firm belief that the fallacy of their "god" and "afterlife" is used as a purely exploitative scam in order to keep them in line and to control their behaviors. Other religions like Taoism aren't nearly as bad though. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Raised as an atheist with mild spiritual influence. 

People who hate religion (as you think of it) are anti-theists. Just like people who hate existence of others are antisocial, as opposed to asocial. I have no real opposition to the concept of a religion, but I do have a predisposition against believing in some sort of God unless I find overwhelming evidence. But yes, anyone who hates religion is an anti-theist. 

Edited by ARagY
  • Brohoof 1

Well, if you're simply against religion then I guess that would make you 'antireligious' (anti- meaning "against"), which could mean anything from being opposed to organized religion, as you described, or simply opposing religion in a broader sense, as in beliefs in higher power or the supernatural. Atheism, however, at least colloquially and in vogue, is often mistaken as antireligious. Someone can be atheist but not be antireligious, and I guess you could be antireligious without being atheist as well, depending on how your defining "antireligious", since most religions are based around some kind of divine power or God(s) (otherwise they become philosophy).   Me personally, I'm both atheist and antireligious, however, I don't 'oppose' the idea of God, I simply find its existence very very unlikely. And as for being antireligious, I guess I oppose religion in the broader sense as it almost always conflicts with empirical thought, but I usually don't actively oppose it as I prefer to avoid conflicts on the matter.

In terms of the overarching idea of "is there a god" the answer isn't if I'm for or against it, I simply believe the evidence does not support the claim. 

As for religion: I'm pretty outspoken against religious institutions on this site, but most of my beef is centered towards the Abrahamic faiths and their rampant corruption and history of bloodshed that continues to this day. I have a firm belief that the fallacy of their "god" and "afterlife" is used as a purely exploitative scam in order to keep them in line and to control their behaviors. Other religions like Taoism aren't nearly as bad though. 

Raised as an atheist with mild spiritual influence. 

People who hate religion (as you think of it) are anti-theists. Just like people who hate existence of others are antisocial, as opposed to asocial. I have no real opposition to the concept of a religion, but I do have a predisposition against believing in some sort of God unless I find overwhelming evidence. But yes, anyone who hates religion is an anti-theist. 

Ah, I see. Yea, I'm not against the idea of god, that's why I never consider myself an atheist, but I've met people who consider my heavily anti-religious views as atheist. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I agree there is not enough evidence to support the claim of a god, but I also think there is not enough evidence to deny the claim. That's that main reason I don't deny the idea of god.

I find it's often quite ironic how atheists or areligious people can be more moral and have more empathy than religious people, yet religious people, especially the extremists, can sometimes dismiss us as "lacking morals" or being "horrible people" or whatever... Like in their mind you have to be religious in order to be a good person or something, heh.

I'm a bit nihilistic when it comes to morals and I get confused a lot, I don't really believe in universal rights or wrongs, but in the end I just try to do the things that'll make the most people happy including myself, will get me in the least amount of trouble or conflict (in a given environment/context), and simply respecting people hoping they respect me in return, and if I don't agree with them on something I can hear them out, but I shouldn't expect to change them. Of course these things clash sometimes, but such is life.  :lol:

I unfortunately understand their reasoning in this. If you ahve ever read of the philosopher john calvin than you would understand the idea where this misguided thinking originates from. A TLDR is basically he believes that the state of nature or original state is barbarism and brutality and only through striving against what we naturally would do can we be "moral." 

So this makes fundamentalists associate morality with god and that morality itself is intrinsic to the belief in god so if you dont believe you litterly cannot be good. 

I personally ascribe to an idea i call biological morality that posits the opposite of calvinist ideas. When you look at nearly ever single sentient or partially sentient creature from a bear to bird to mouse they all intrinsically have a sense of empathy that is tied to alot of things humans tie morality to. Family, closeness of species, mates, etc. The more tied they are to those things the more likely they are to not take aggressive action against them, help them if they can even if they are not rewarded. This seemingly pan species inbuilt morality speaks to at least myself of sentience bringing morality inherently rather than having to be strived towards.

But thats just my own pet theory.

I'm an atheist but I'm interested in learning about religions. Now I'm learning about Christianity and I find it interesting but I'm not a believer.

Atheist here too :) I've literally always been one. I was an odd child and just kind of knew all the stories they would tell in school from the bible were just stories. My father would always tell me not to believe in everything I was told and to think for myself so that's probably why. I'm actually really glad and thankful he raised me like that.

• Brohoof 1

Atheist here too :) I've literally always been one. I was an odd child and just kind of knew all the stories they would tell in school from the bible were just stories. My father would always tell me not to believe in everything I was told and to think for myself so that's probably why. I'm actually really glad and thankful he raised me like that.

I envy your upbringing. There is a lot of lies and indoctrination you have to work through if you grew up under a religious household.