Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Atheist bronies: Why not chat a bit?

Kharkov

(edited)

I envy your upbringing. There is a lot of lies and indoctrination you have to work through if you grew up under a religious household. 

My cousins were brought up Jehovah's Witnesses and there's a lot of shit that has gone on there too :/ Two of them (out of the three) are no longer religious. The one came out as gay and my aunt and uncle have basically disowned him :(

I can see why so many people hate religion. 

Random question but do you guys ever kind of wish you were religious? I'm terrified of dying as I don't believe in an afterlife. The thought of an eternity of nothingness terrifies me. The thought of all my memories and my being just disappearing also terrifies me. I've genuinely been looking into chemical brain preservation and hoping it will be a thing before I die:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_brain_preservation

I just sometimes wish I had the faith in heaven.

In a weird way I suppose it's a good thing. I get depressed occasionally and I know I would never end up killing myself as I fear dying so much.

Edited by Kayleigh
  • Brohoof 2

• 7 months later...

Basically I saw the Christian Brony Blog and thought it was a good idea and thus I have created the Atheist Alternate

Note: Though this shouldn't need to be said I am not against religion, I just have a different way of thinking.

I don't know if this will get me in trouble or not. But I have to say I am very much against religion. I believe it interferes with people's personal freedoms. It has committed the most terrible atrocities in human history. People can't pervert religion. It is inherently perverted. It is used to control and squeeze the life out of people.

My cousins were brought up Jehovah's Witnesses and there's a lot of shit that has gone on there too :/ Two of them (out of the three) are no longer religious. The one came out as gay and my aunt and uncle have basically disowned him :(

I can see why so many people hate religion. 

Random question but do you guys ever kind of wish you were religious? I'm terrified of dying as I don't believe in an afterlife. The thought of an eternity of nothingness terrifies me. The thought of all my memories and my being just disappearing also terrifies me. I've genuinely been looking into chemical brain preservation and hoping it will be a thing before I die:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_brain_preservation

I just sometimes wish I had the faith in heaven.

In a weird way I suppose it's a good thing. I get depressed occasionally and I know I would never end up killing myself as I fear dying so much.

If their was a heaven and it existed as in the christain bible? I would rather go to hell. I believe that the god in the bible is an evil mass murder that needs to be killed if it exists. But it doesn't. Going in to nothingness when die comforts me. I will never suffer after I die. Unlike in religion where you can always go to hell. It also makes me value my life and other human beings lives even more. As far as I see it atheism is the only way to develop a true moral society
  • Brohoof 1

Hm I assumed anti-theist meant against religion, not thinking no god can exist. In that case I guess I am an atheist, and just barely agnostic due to technicalities which may exist in the universe, but no religion seems really empirical in its approach so its not for me, and I think if people were empirical more and superstitious less the world would be a better place.

If their was a heaven and it existed as in the christain bible? I would rather go to hell. I believe that the god in the bible is an evil mass murder that needs to be killed if it exists. But it doesn't. Going in to nothingness when die comforts me. I will never suffer after I die. Unlike in religion where you can always go to hell.

I am worried about dying because irl has the stuff that interests me generally lol. Imagine if Equestria were real for the after-life or reincarnation, that'd be great. But its not gonna happen. Life is sorta easy to comprehend, and I feel like its more boring in one way. Though its not because life is very complicated, like we are on a rotating planet in a moving solar system in a moving galaxy etc. So in reality the world is really really worth exploring. And death is like, boring. But if life turns out to be a simulation or something, which is rather unlikely but may be the case, then I imagine that world would be magnitudes more complicated because it always takes more data to simulate than would occupy irl, if you account for all variables anyways. The major reason why though is limits on simulations inside the simulations. The world can be predicted, actually, all its laws are quite simple, and you can run it through partially for a long enough time and if its fast enough maybe you could compute all sorts of things with the right quantum computer or something. But then it could still never compute a higher tier quantum computer at a rate faster than that higher tier quantum computer, granted with it being simulated actually its artificial time within the simulation. So technically it could be a higher existence simulation, but take billions of years to process a hundred years. 

And some say the speed limit of the universe (speed of light) is some potential evidence for us being simulated. 

In which case its for fun, sentiment, or science. Maybe even therapy or a practical simulation for whatever reason to help people.

But idk the full science so can't say the general odds with certainty. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't know if this will get me in trouble or not. But I have to say I am very much against religion. I believe it interferes with people's personal freedoms. It has committed the most terrible atrocities in human history. People can't pervert religion. It is inherently perverted. It is used to control and squeeze the life out of people.

If their was a heaven and it existed as in the christain bible? I would rather go to hell. I believe that the god in the bible is an evil mass murder that needs to be killed if it exists. But it doesn't. Going in to nothingness when die comforts me. I will never suffer after I die. Unlike in religion where you can always go to hell. It also makes me value my life and other human beings lives even more. As far as I see it atheism is the only way to develop a true moral society

That is true. The Christian God is a complete manic. Stephen Fry sums it up well in my opinion:

Reincarnation makes more sense to me than a heaven. I don't really believe in reincarnation but it makes slightly more sense.

I think I used to believe in god some time in my life, but I kinda grew out it like I grew out of Santa, teeth fairy and such.

I believe part of the reason was, that it's everywhere, I got fed up with religion, it was everything everywhere, there was no place where you were not hearing about it. If something is real, why do you have to try to convince me about it every day. everywhere?

I'm not saying that such thing can't exist, but it's like ghosts and aliens to me, I believe it, when I see solid proof of it, or I see it myself.

And I have no problem with people who do believe in god(s), as long as they don't try to convert me or use it to negative things against me.

• Brohoof 1

There's no evidence to disprove that I have a portal to Narnia through my wardrobe which only I have access to either but I doubt you'd believe me if I told you that.

Edited by Member Berry

There's no evidence to disprove that I have a portal to Narnia through my wardrobe which only I have access to either but I doubt you'd believe me if I told you that.

We can look in your wardrobe and disprove that statement.

That is true. The Christian God is a complete manic. Stephen Fry sums it up well in my opinion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suvkwNYSQo

Reincarnation makes more sense to me than a heaven. I don't really believe in reincarnation but it makes slightly more sense.

>The old testament God

(20chars)

• Brohoof 2

We can look in your wardrobe and disprove that statement.

>The old testament God

(20chars)

I only have access to it, though. Nobody else can see/get through to Narnia, only me.

Edited by Member Berry

There is no absolute evidence to brother prove or disprove the existence of God, so it is foolish to absolutely believe/disbelieve in a God.

That's my opinion as well. There is no evidence that god does/doesn't exist so I'm not going to pick a side. These are my 2 cents bye y'all

There is no absolute evidence to brother prove or disprove the existence of God, so it is foolish to absolutely believe/disbelieve in a God.

You mean god, gods, god-like, god-likes, or the appearance of god(s)(but not really), or higher dimensional mortals who built the simulation we are in.

But some think the speed-limit on the universe(speed of light) is minor evidence of us being in a simulation. I don't know enough physics to see if its presumptuous or not. I do not know the full idea, but it apparently exists. Some people tend to do confirmation bias when checking to see if its real, grasping at straws really, but the premise might have some basis to it unless they find another natural explanation for that.

I only have access to it, though. Nobody else can see/get through to Narnia, only me.

That cannot be so, because there is a book and movie on Narnia and multiple went in and out. And you didn't define only you have access to well enough, what if its just a metaphor for imagination, or, people are travelling through it in secret without your knowledge? 

And if its in the mind or tangible, they can set up recording devices on you. Then if it conveniently doesn't open to you you were lying or incorrect because you said you have access, not potential access.

Edited by Lil Pip

I only have access to it, though. Nobody else can see/get through to Narnia.

Wow that's it God is disproved sorry Christians. Ok to through the wardrobe and take video of you entering Narnia.Your argument isn't a valid criticism of Christianity.

Like I've said before, we cannot be certain about the existence or lack of existence of a God as there is no concrete evidence

Wow that's it God is disproved sorry Christians. Ok to through the wardrobe and take video of you entering Narnia.Your argument isn't a valid criticism of Christianity.

Like I've said before, we cannot be certain about the existence or lack of existence of a God as there is no concrete evidence

Why would a god be so interested in concrete though, thats the real mystery.

But to be fair, if a god influences space/time, nothing in our universe is a flawless vacuum, so it'd make sense we have some boundary radiation or something of a unique nature to contain a universe a deity is playing with or such. We only need to travel to the end of the universe to find it! lol.

*one trillion years into the future* Still searching to the ends of the universe, no doubt we are bound to find god some day~. *space journal*

Someone told me a brilliant idea, god might be in one of those black holes, time to fly into it! xD In the small probability I make it back out alive, we will have proved the existence of god.

Edited by Lil Pip

What I mean is absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. It probably wasn't the greatest metaphor I could think of but I have a hangover.

Believing in ridiculous things because "you can't prove otherwise" is just silly in my opinion. 

What I mean is absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. It probably wasn't the greatest metaphor I could think of but I have a hangover.

Believing in ridiculous things because "you can't prove otherwise" is just silly in my opinion. 

Depends on how much evidence of absence of evidence we have.

Based on different deity claims, it could be enough to disprove specific claims, but then every religion it disproves would counter-argue the convenient thing, which is god was just on vacation, he needed a few hundred year nap, but he will be back in a jiffy!

Edited by Lil Pip

Yes, and that's pretty much the Agnostic Atheist position.

My position as an Agnostic Atheist is that there is no reason to believe in a God. Although I will say that the Abrahamic God is pretty absurd by what we know, along the lines of a potential deity existing that is right back there with other deities of ancient societies that no one (or a very small amount of people) believes in anymore.

Hypothetically (this does not go beyond a very shaky hypothesis) a deistic deity could exist, but as of right now it's a completely random claim with absolutely nothing to back it up. Thus it is an idea that must not even begin to be considered unless there is reason.

That's what it means to be an Agnostic Atheist. I'm not going to sit here and claim that a Deistic deity can not possibly exist. The reason being... That's not my duty. It's not my duty anymore than disproving that there are invisible alien beings around that can not be detected by us, or any other random, claim that can not be proven/disproven. The time to believe in these claims is when they're substantiated. The deity claim is not substantiated, and it is not 'special'. It's irrelevant.

tl;dr: The Agnostic Atheist position is *not* "Gods can not exist because we don't have enough evidence" it is "The God claim is not substantiated, thus there is no reason to even consider it, unless there ever is reason to"

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

I'm not sure if I'm an atheist or not as I take a very scientific view of creation and the universe as a whole I do believe in a god but to me he's simply a scientist and architect that just happened to be the first sentient being in creation and he used the energy of the swirling vortex known as creation to form the universe over time as he learned how to do things just as we would it's all just an endless experiment and even he doesn't know everything but knows the most of any being in existence the energy of the universe are simply a form of the elements like on earth and mix together to form different reactions just like chemicals.

I'm not sure if I'm an atheist or not as I take a very scientific view of creation and the universe as a whole I do believe in a god but to me he's simply a scientist and architect that just happened to be the first sentient being in creation and he used the energy of the swirling vortex known as creation to form the universe over time as he learned how to do things just as we would it's all just an endless experiment and even he doesn't know everything but knows the most of any being in existence the energy of the universe are simply a form of the elements like on earth and mix together to form different reactions just like chemicals.

If I recall correctly, the idea that "[a] god set the universe in motion but then didn't follow up on it at all" is called Deism.

Just read up on deism it has some good points but is still too religious for my tastes plus I don't believe God created the universe as they said but merely shaped it afterwards and never stopped doing so as new realities continue to be shaped as the experiment continues on I also believe that he's not the only one influencing it but has created many constructs to perform certain tasks and govern certain things

Just read up on deism it has some good points but is still too religious for my tastes plus I don't believe God created the universe as they said but merely shaped it afterwards and never stopped doing so as new realities continue to be shaped as the experiment continues on I also believe that he's not the only one influencing it but has created many constructs to perform certain tasks and govern certain things

Which tasks and things and experiments would a god need to do?

Keep order mainly to make sure no one goes off and annihilates everything there is also the tasks of influencing and recording the experiments to make sure all possible data is recovered

as for the experiments themselves everything counts as an experiment every action taken by sentient and non sentient creatures every element of energy and matter that is mixed and matched to make new forms all things are experiments and the universe is a laboratory where the data from those experiments are gathered and examined before being used in future experiments

Keep order mainly to make sure no one goes off and annihilates everything there is also the tasks of influencing and recording the experiments to make sure all possible data is recovered

as for the experiments themselves everything counts as an experiment every action taken by sentient and non sentient creatures every element of energy and matter that is mixed and matched to make new forms all things are experiments and the universe is a laboratory where the data from those experiments are gathered and examined before being used in future experiments

How does god record those experiments?