Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you like your favorite pony because they are different, or similar to you?

Foxy Socks

I noticed that my favorite pony, Rainbow Dash, is quite different from me. While I am a more introverted, shy person like Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash has a more extroverted, athletic, and outgoing personality. Despite being different, I still love her as my favorite pony.

Fluttershy however, as my second favorite, is more similar to me with her shy, quiet personality, which I can relate to.

I also noticed people who like ponies that are similar to them, or have personalities that are different, but likeable.

Is your favorite pony different or similar to you, and why do you like them because of that?

(I tried to search, though there may already be a topic on this. Close this if needed.)

• Brohoof 3

My original favorite, Dashie, is very different than I am. In fact, I don't particularly like being around people like her IRL. I too, am pretty introverted. I only grew attached to Rainbow Dash because she reminds me of Sonic the Hedgehog, my childhood idol.

I am much more like my current favorite pony, Twilight (the early seasons Twilight, at least. Actually, more of a combination of her and Fluttershy). I just relate to her the most. :)

Dash is still the cutest, in my opinion. ;)

• Brohoof 1

I definitely feel like a mix of Twilight and Fluttershy though Fluttershy is my least favorite of the mane cast(Twilight's at least my second favorite), yet Rainbow is a lot different from me and she's also my favorite. 

Rarity's also very different from me despite her also being my second favorite)

• Brohoof 1

I feel sort of like a combination of characters such as Fluttershy, Twilight, and Spike.

And I ended up really liking all of these characters, especially Fluttershy who is my all time favorite FIM character.

My favorite pony use to be Fluttershy way back when, because I felt she was the most similar to me. Then it dawned on me that she is actually TOO similar to me. To the point where I basically saw my own flaws in a reflection. So over time Twilight became my favorite, not only because she is best and cutest princess but also because she has a good balance of things in common with me and traits that are admirable, but I clearly don't have.

I wont lie, relatability does play a factor. Fluttershy was originally my favourite because she was both relatable and adorable. As times gone on, ive been kind of shrugging a few of those more negative traits off. Applejack recently threw a bit of a coup because her hard work ethic is now more relatable to me than fluttershy's shyness.

Luna is tied up top with AJ, but that's mostly because she's adorable, kind natured and an ex-villain. I have a bit of a weak spot for those.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Different. I like Rarity but not because she reminds me of myself but because I think she's a unique take on a tired archetype and an example of Faust working around mandates. They needed a character to help promote clotheslines for the toys but where it would be easier to write a dumb valley girl who's really into fashion, Faust wrote a woman who's an entrepreneur in the industry. I like it when characters are portrayed as business owners and Rarity is exactly that, and given that she's expanding, a pretty damn successful one. In short, she's ambitious, a trait I admire but am sorely lacking in.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 3

Rainbow Dash is my favorite character, though my personality is a mix of her, Fluttershy, and Twilight.

Why RD? On the internet, I tend to be self-centered and arrogant.

Why Fluttershy? In real life, I am introverted, and can be easily frightened depending on the scenario. (In cases where most others are not scared, I can be, and vice versa.)

Why Twilight? I don't want to brag excessively, but I would say my intelligence is higher than average. (I'm not super-wicked-smart, but my report cards consist of mostly A's.)

Rarity is similar to me way more than I initially realized. I don't connect to her surface traits (girliness and love of fashion) at all, but I am artistically inclined like her whilst also coming across as an intellectual person. In fact, she got me into taking my artwork more seriously so I can improve my skills. Like her, I hate seeing beautiful/pretty things get destroyed or go to waste, it literally hurts me inside. :P 

I love being generous, and seeing people smile when I give them something they really love and appreciate, but I'm always careful to not be too generous so people don't take advantage.

Oh, and I'm not very fond of dirt and germs, and I like most things to be of a high quality.

We also have the same snarky sense of humor, which makes her the funniest of the mane 6 to me.

Flutters and Pinkie I connect with more than the rest (shy and introverted, love seeing people happy), which makes them my second favorites. (And they're both very adorable, I admit)  :yay:  :pinkie:

• Brohoof 1

I like Rarity because I can relate to her on countless different levels. She's the most similar to me and my favorite pony for sure. But I love Pinkie Pie also, who wouldn't love a bright pink pony who's always in a happy mood? 

• Brohoof 2

I'm not even remotely similar to Rarity. However she is my favorite as she manages to be the "girly" character but that isn't her defining trait like it would be in any other show. So I guess I like Rarity the most since she is the polar opposite of me also it helps that she's the prettiest. #Biased

(edited)

Fluttershy is very different from me in certain aspects, yet very similar in others.

Both of us in most occasions don't talk much, but in her case it was shyness, but for my case it's mainly due to me growing to become more reticent overtime with experience.

Both of us like animals, but at least for now I am not a vegetarian. Adopting Kendall, a golden retriever pup from an animal shelter, was one of the best decisions I've made in my life. Not sure if I really do have a way with animals, but Kendal seems to respect me as an Alpha, and most animals I've encountered didn't seem to freak out that much (although that may be because they are pretty calm towards people in general)

I try to be kind. Though I doubt I'll ever reach Fluttershy's level, it's a good goal to work towards. I do try to maintain a balance between being kind and letting others walking all over me though (something that Fluttershy learned).

And lastly, when those we love and care about are in danger, we stand up for them. Not sure if Fluttershy would resort to violence if situation calls, but I have.

Edited by Solid

My favorite pony, Twilight, is actually just a character that I think had the most development over the years. I'm not gonna lie though, I miss her sarcasm and attitude from season 1 because it resembled me. She's way too naive nowadays.

My second favorite is Pinkie, and yeah, she's very relatable to me. I love making people happy and when people start ignoring me I get really depressed really fast.

(edited)

I am typically drawn to characters I can relate to. Dash is my favorite main character. I guess I share some traits, like I can sometimes be overly confident, or I can seem like a jerk sometimes but I don't mean to. But that's not necessarily the only reason why I like her. I like her sense of determination and following her dreams. I admire that. Twilight is my second, but I am not very similar to her.

Edited by El Duderino

My personality is a mix between Pinkie, Rarity and Fluttershy. I despise Fluttershy as a character, but Rarity and AJ are my favs out of the mane 6 group. Tree Hugger and Trixie however, are on the top for me. So, I have nopony of the mane 6 as a favorite character.

I do relate to Tree Hugger, but Trixie, not so sure... I just love her character and that's it.

Personality-wise, I'm pretty similar to Rainbow Dash in quite a few ways; I've been told so a time or two and I see the resemblance myself and so did the bronyland personality test.  While I dislike sports, I do enjoy being active and I have an impatient nature and a desire to be fast; I also feel like flying would be freeing and that were I an MLP pony, not being a pegasus just wouldn't work out for me.  I also tend to struggle with seeing how things are going to affect others sometimes and I can be pretty childlike and naive in some ways.  I can also get angry with people for seemingly no reason and I have difficulty expressing my feelings vocally.  I am also very loyal and pretty blunt/brash.  Sometimes I come off as abrasive and rude.  I can also be pretty insecure about the things that I act confident about sometimes, but I do know that I'm awesome in spite of my flaws, all the same.

So yeah, my favorite is my favorite because we're similar, lol.  That's typically what determines my favorite characters.

And of course, Derpy is my favorite background pony because I just don't know what went wrong and I like muffins and I'm well... derpy.

I am most definitely like Fluttershy because of my shy and awkward nature, especially to complete strangers. Although I've never actually gotten into any outbursts, I tend to suppress all of my inner problems and pretend everything is fine if someone asks about my feelings. I Also really like animals and enjoy being out in nature.

I think Rarity is very similar to me but also quite different. Creatively, we are very similar, but charming wise, she's definitely better than I am. She knows how to work a room and have confidence in herself which is an area that I am severely lacking in. Rarity knows what she wants, knows how to get it, and goes for it. I've always been pretty timid, but I do fangirl like she does, and crush hardcore. She does everything with passion, and with that, I am very similar to her.  :D

I love Twilight and Pinkie because I feel that I relate to them in some ways. I like reading, learning and practicing new things, and I sometimes get worried about things, but try to keep calm like Twilight. I also can be very random and hyper at times and I get really excited when something amazing has happened. I also try to make my friends laugh and smile like Pinkie. 

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

No. My fav pony is Applejack and that's because she's a hunk and I therefore she's attractive to me. I'm very much horse lesbian for her, but I cannot relate. Well, except for the "big family" thing and hard work.

Edited by crys
  • Brohoof 1