Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you like your favorite pony because they are different, or similar to you?

Foxy Socks

At first my favorite Pony was Fluttershy, because i could relate to her, but than i realized that i actually hate myself and find myself to be very boring and started to get tired of Fluttershy and searched for other best Ponys.

Now, they are very different from me because...im boring, so why would my favorite character be someone, that is kinda like me?

Not saying that Fluttershy is worse than me, she is clearly better than me in many things, but she does kinda remind me of myself and i dont like me.

Dont know any other way to describe it.  :lol:

I often see myself in Twilight Sparkle, even down to some of the little quirks. It really is that which makes her my favourite. I can relate to her a lot because of these similarities. 

My two favourite Pony in the series are Fluttershy and Pinkie and its for this exact reason

With Fluttershy she is similar to me, I am very introvert and often shy but I can push myself out of my comfort zone from time to time but in the end I will always prefer my own space.

Pinkie Pie on the other hand is the kind of person I would like to be - Full of Life, Always up for a laugh, Beloved by everyone who knows her and always up for a party.

Sparklebutt is my favorite because she has traits I admire, namely her courage and love of knowledge. There are times when I relate to her personality but her status as my favorite pony is based more on admiration. It's not a perfect fit but I guess I'd have to say it's because we're different. That's not to say that I consider myself a coward or an ignorant person, but I do strive to be more like our favorite purple protagonist in some ways.

Rarity is my absolute favourite, followed quickly by the fashionable and all-too-perfect Hoity Toity. His voice and style are just too entertaining not to love, even if he only had a brief appearance in the show.

I would say that my personality is more of a Rarity/Twilight blend though. I'm an artist (a photographer, my drawing leaves something to be desired), a hopeless romantic, and a terrible perfectionist, and while I'm normally not self-involved enough to call myself generous, my partner often tells me I'm too generous because it's not rare for me to spend outside my means to help out a friend/loved one, or even just to give a gift or cook a very nice meal for the people in my life I feel deserve these things. And of course I'm a lover of fashion, haute couture, and fabulosity in general. ;)

On the flipside, I'm much like Twilight Sparkle in that I used to be a very reclusive person who turned away from potential friendships and kept to myself and my books or other passions, but have grown to really understand the value of friendship and friends. Not to mention I'm a little crazy about planners and organization...the difference being that while my many planners are extremely organized, I have a hard time applying that same organization habits to my life!

I don't really have a singular favourite; I have favourites, ones I like more than others, for different reasons:

- I like Fluttershy because she is near identical to my older sister and heavily resembles my mum, so her character feels very familiar to me.

- I like Twilight because her obsession with method resembles my Dad, whilst her obsession with knowledge resembles my own (though there is little method to what I do, this list is the extent of it really).

- I like Discord because his lack of order and struggle to understand the emotion of others resembles mine.

- I like Luna purely because I like the night more than the day.

- I like Celestia because her sense of humour (tricking Mr. Cake into thinking she finished her tea, inviting Discord to the Gala because she thought the Chaos he would cause would make it enjoyable, etc.) resembles my sense of humour.

- I like Starlight because I can relate to her bitterness over her past, and how in "No Second Prances" she can struggle to comprehend how her actions may upset or annoy others (making Big Mac speak using magic, insta-baking a cake for Mrs. Cake (I still don't understand why Mrs. Cake was annoyed by this), etc.).

And there you go, you got me to open up about myself a bit. That's rare.

• Brohoof 1

My favorite pony, Fluttershy, is very similar to me. I tend to prefer characters that I can really relate to whether I'm reading a book, watching a tv show, or playing a game. I share many traits with Fluttershy - most importantly, I tend to be pretty reserved; I find joy in simple, quiet things; and I adooooore animals. Plus she is even my two favorite colors - yellow and pink! :D

Now that I think about it, my favs from the Mane 6 are in direct alignment with how similar they are to me. My order is: Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Twilight, Applejack, Rainbow Dash. I strongly relate to the first four in one way or another. I feel like I barely relate to Applejack or Rainbow Dash.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, I love Flutters because we share so many traits....Mainly her shyness, love of animals and quietness at times. I'm an avid fan of the outdoors and nature, exploring it and such, seeing what I can find. Flutters seems to enjoy nature as well, given the fact her love of animals. I'm an avid mountain biker, so exploring nature and taking it all in, enjoying the wildlife is almost a give, when out biking. I mean, I see chipmunks, foxes, and rabbits all the time. Sometimes deer. Heh, some are used to humans, so they'll sometimes come right up to you if you're sitting on a bench having a snack. I love those kinda moments. Although, the biking I guess would be one of my Dashie traits.

• Brohoof 1

My favourite, Rainbow Dash is quite different from me, but I don't think that's the reason why I like her so much, I just do like her a lot, since the beggining.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

I'm very different from Rainbow Dash but I think she embodies the qualities I'd most want to have in a friend. I don't necessarily want someone who is as introverted and confused in their life as I am, I want someone who doesn't hesitate to show me support when I need it while also being willing to give me space; which is pretty much the relationship she has with Fluttershy.

• Brohoof 1

Me and Pinkie are polar opposites but she's my favorite - she possesses a lot of qualities I wish I had myself. I dunno if that's specifically why she's my favorite or if I just like her in general :ooh:

• Brohoof 1

I tend to really enjoy fictional characters whom I can relate to. Twilight is no different. She reminds me of myself because I see a lot of my personality in her, from the nerdy quirks to the occasional social awkwardness (though that's more reminiscent of the pre-alicorn Twilight) and the tendency to get anxious about things and overthink them. Like the episode It's About Time is the story of my life. :lol:

I bet I could befriend Twilight very easily. We'd get along quite well.

• Brohoof 2

It doesn't really matter to me anymore, I just like the characters because I do. Many of the ones I like such as Rainbow Dash, Luna, and Limestone are nothing like me, but I still like them. Fluttershy and Starlight glimmer, however do share similarites, so there isn't much relation.

On 6/12/2016 at 8:35 PM, Flutter Baby <3 said:

I mean, I see chipmunks, foxes, and rabbits all the time. Sometimes deer. Heh, some are used to humans, so they'll sometimes come right up to you if you're sitting on a bench having a snack. 

Completely unrelated, but I am very jealous of you :P Never seen a red fox before.

While me and Celestia are not so different in values and personality, she’s more of a pony I aspire to be like. She’s kind and fun and beautiful inside and out, but infinitely more mature and patient than I am.

a0625455474_10.jpg

Well, I actually relate way more to my second favourite character, Fluttershy, and my third favourite (as depicted in my avatar), Pinkie Pie, than I can with my first, who is Rarity.  It depends on the context but I can be a bubbly and upbeat individual in some settings, but I think my personal arc reflects that of Fluttershy where I went from completely lacking confidence to being more like season 7 Fluttershy...for the most part.  There are still situations where I do regress into being season 1/2 Fluttershy but they are thankfully fewer and further in between than they used to be.

No, I love Rarity for her appearance and accent, and her comic relief, but most of all, because she has traits that I respect and would look for in a potential mate, not to mention that I wish I had more of.  I don't care about fashion...like at all, but Rarity is a character who had a dream and worked to achieve it through hard work and perseverance.  She knows what gives her life meaning, and she gives her all to it, not to mention she's generous, courageous and just has a general integrity to her that is not immediately apparent given her appearance and mannerisms.  I respect that.

Being in a past relationship has taught me that what I'm looking for is a woman with backbone, and Rarity certainly has that.  Backbone doesn't necessarily mean being able to perform exceptional feats like Rainbow Dash, nor having to discard traits that are labeled as more feminine.  I actually like a woman with a feminine side too, and appreciate elegance and grace.  Rarity has that too.  I can probably thank growing up with a sister and watching animated films, especially of the Disney variety depicting women in elegant ballgowns.  All that means is that I became attracted to a kind of classic fantasy lady who doesn't exist in the current age, if she ever did to begin with.  But yeah, I guess I like a woman who's both elegant and sure of herself, and Rarity is definitely that.  

• Brohoof 1

Rainbow Dash, yeah because shes like me. The rough tomboy who hates girly stuff. 

Soarin, he's not like me, but he stands out as being a genuinely nice guy who kinda gets taken advantage of by other mares. 

Definitely because they're different from me. I like a character in media because I see them as some one who I'd love to be with, that's not just another me. Great this show emphasizes friendship because these are the friendships I want:

Sweetie Belle is a combination of all my younger sisters and I love spending time with them so what's adding another onto the pile.

Pinkie is the loud, obnoxious, and perfectly outgoing friend I need in my life to keep me happy but also push out that timidity can have in life.

Diamond Tiara.......okay this one's more for the show's characterization and not the bully I'd want in real life, although she did seem to treat Babs pretty nicely so who knows maybe she could be the sarcastic cynical friend to keep our self-esteem high compared to others, oh wait nevermind...

That's what Starlight is for with her dry whit and sarcasm. While not as outgoing as Pinkie, but not as reserved as say Fluttershy or Twilight (to an extent) Starlight is exactly the friend I'd want to confide in personal problems with who knows what it feels, she can push me to do better and yet I could push her to do better as well. There is a nice balance in enjoying her company without feeling not good enough....oh wait I'm Sunburst:blink:Awe man, this another Jeremy and Aelita (wonder how many get that reference) situation, no wonder I like her dynamic with characters so much!:D

I don't have a lot in common with my favourite pony Twilight, I'm more a Fluttershy in personnality I think (even if it fluctuate sometimes with Twilight indeed).

But Twilight does have this internal struggle with anxiosity in studies/work which I can relate. I always prefered characters that inspire myself to improve a shared flaw.

At first it was Fluttershy... mostly because she's adorable and the similarities with me have become minimal over time. I may be anxious, understated and shy but she's become more assertive, while I... haven't. Then Starlight Glimmer came along and well... social anxiety issues combined with intelligence, dedication to things and blunt speaking while also safeguarding interests: that's me, that's most definitely me.

• 2 years later...

I like them because they are overcoming difficulties, and growing as persons (ponies). Not because they are different from me, or because they are similar to me.

That's why I liked CMC the most in Season 1, because I saw how much they could grow. But they kept going back to Fluttershy being to shy to speak, which wasn't that much fun to watch, or Applejack not being able to deliver apples to ponies, because she is the apple pony. Those are not difficulties that I am talking about. I am talking about growing as a character, learning from, and having a goal. not to be the same old, same old, or a stereotype. A princess becomes a stereotype, so that's not it either. Twilight becoming a princess was too forced for no reason.