Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Gaming: We Have a Problem with Elitism

(edited)

Every time a big name game comes out, it seems we always have this issue, elitists (A lot of the time PC players sadly... My own kind...) will come in and trash a game from day one. With the Doom MP Beta, a lot of the "negative" reviews came from Steam users, however console users were much more forgiving of the game. After the game finally came out a lot of the review scores changed. Doom on Metacritic for the PS4 retains a respectable 7.7 out of 10. Steam now has the game sitting at 91% positive reviews, with negative reviews slowing to a trickle. IGN's "working" review of the game is 7.1/10 which is a respectable score, but you still get comments like this:

"Right now a 7.1 ouch..i knew the more i watched footage the more unappealing it became"

7.1 is now considered a "bad" score.

It seems that a majority of the hate from the game is coming from PC players. Many of the complaints being things like that the game is getting released  on consoles at all.

Honestly, we have this problem EVERY time a new game comes out. A group of unsatisfiable elitists band together to make a lot of noise about how terrible a game is and start DIGGING for things not to like about a game. When it's clear that the general audience enjoys the game (evidenced by steam reviews and decent  scores) but that doesn't stop these people from trying to convince everyone that the game bombed in some regard.

Like, I love PC gaming don't get me wrong, but (and this is because a lot of the elitism is coming from them most of the time) the PC gaming community is very toxic at times. There is so much chest puffing and bragging sometimes that it's unbearable. Lots of lies and propaganda to try and convince console gamers to switch, and honestly... PC gaming is seldom about fun anymore. It's about talking about how shit console gamers are, bragging about parts and complaining about games not being 4k or graphics not being HD enough. Complaining that a game dips to 58FPS for a few seconds.

Honestly, I love PC gaming, but it's sadly become just like the meme:

LFiw0Tp.jpg

Edited by Guest

I was expecting a well thought out post about how elitist asses contribute to destruction of sequels, inhibition of innovation, and toxicity of multiplayer experience. Boy was I disappointed.

What you are describing is a two-way street that wasn’t started by PC gamers themselves but by companies that took the easy road when porting their games onto PC with mountains of glitches and void holes where standard options should have been. By doing that and remaining indifferent about it, they have practically programmed gamers to seek out and complain about graphics and glitches from day one, and in their minds PC gamers are still at war with companies who don’t seem to care about them. It will take time for their attitudes to change, given that problematic AAA ports will also cease to trickle onto Steam.

P.S: The most popular games on PC don’t even have the best graphics.

• Brohoof 4

I was expecting a well thought out post about how elitist asses contribute to destruction of sequels, inhibition of innovation, and toxicity of multiplayer experience. Boy was I disappointed.

What you are describing is a two-way street that wasn’t started by PC gamers themselves but by companies that took the easy road when porting their games onto PC with mountains of glitches and void holes where standard options should have been. By doing that and remaining indifferent about it, they have practically programmed gamers to seek out and complain about graphics and glitches from day one, and in their minds PC gamers are still at war with companies who don’t seem to care about them. It will take time for their attitudes to change, given that problematic AAA ports will also cease to trickle onto Steam.

P.S: The most popular games on PC don’t even have the best graphics.

Sorry, but the companies are not the only ones to blame. PC elitism is getting out of control, and until the gamers themselves (myself being one of them) admit to their own shit, then they can't fix anything. So many PC gamers I have seen complain that a game doesn't support 4k as a "problem" and that it's a "sign the developers aren't listening to them", when Valve reported from Steam only 2% of Steam users are using 4k.

The reason why developers put less effort into PC ports are numerous, but two that are problematic that are DIRECTLY the fact of the PC players are: low installbase. I'm sorry but PC is NOT biggest platform, and it's made less inviting by the atmosphere around it. If PC gamers stopped making PC gaming look like a prick waving fight, more people might actually sign up. The second problem is unrealistic expectations. PC gamers are reaching a point where some are expecting games to run in 4K at 100FPS on cards that are a year old. Hell the new 1070 and 1080 from Nvidia struggle to get 4k and 60FPS on Doom and those are new cards.

PC ports are going to be bad when you have a community that won't be satisfied no matter what you give them.

We can not deny that there is an inherent problem with the atmosphere of the community. So long as the community maintains its elitist aura, it will continue to receive half assed ports, ridicule and low media coverage. I mean PC games in general don't really get a lot of spotlight and it's probably due to the fact that no one wants to draw attention to a community that spends half of its time shitting on other gamers.

I say this AS a PC gamer: the community needs an overhaul. How can we even expect to fix broken porting and crappy business practices when it's DIFFICULT to get anyone to feel sympathetic to the problem because of the way PC gamers conduct themselves a lot of the time? To get attention to a problem, you need support. It's difficult to gain support when all your community is most known for shitting on other gaming communities. It's difficult to get console gamers (who make up a good portion of the market and could make enough noise to get developers to care) to give a crap about the PC port of a game being released broken.

The problem starts at home. It's so easy to pass the buck and point the finger at the developers like they are solely to blame, but the truth is: it's us too.

(edited)

as i am a pc gamer maybe i can present my views (i am not working to offend anyone if you take it as ofense i am sorry i dint mean it that way i want to keep this civil) like i said i am a pc gamer so i can put my opinion on here i see this alot part of it is that the elitism among the pc gaming community is from those who do not get the "pc master race" it is not meant to be saying that we are better it was meant to be a joke that went out of hand. and the reason some pc gamers get very elitist is the fact that they take some good things out of context yes pc gaming is cheaper in the long run. yes pc gaming has mods but you cant just take our pc and travel with it easily this elitism isa mong those newer to the pc gaming field. that probably didnt make sense i will respond to any responses to me i will be all to happy to answer them:)

I admit the newer ones to the pc gaming place are a lot like this

it is sattire by the way Edited by viper213

as i am a pc gamer maybe i can present my views (i am not working to offend anyone if you take it as ofense i am sorry i dint mean it that way i want to keep this civil) like i said i am a pc gamer so i can put my opinion on here i see this alot part of it is that the elitism among the pc gaming community is from those who do not get the "pc master race" it is not meant to be saying that we are better it was meant to be a joke that went out of hand. and the reason some pc gamers get very elitist is the fact that they take some good things out of context yes pc gaming is cheaper in the long run. yes pc gaming has mods but you cant just take our pc and travel with it easily this elitism isa mong those newer to the pc gaming field. that probably didnt make sense i will respond to any responses to me i will be all to happy to answer them:)

It's actually kind of been proven that PC gaming is actually only "rarely" cheaper in the long run.

It's mostly the VOCAL part of the PC community sadly. Like I'm a PC gamer, but you'll probably never hear about my thoughts on a PC game anywhere usually.

Steam now has the game sitting at 91% positive reviews, with negative reviews slowing to a trickle. IGN's "working" review of the game is 7.1/10 which is a respectable score, but you still get comments like this:   "Right now a 7.1 ouch..i knew the more i watched footage the more unappealing it became"   7.1 is now considered a "bad" score.

Unfortunately this is something that's common in the gaming in general, while a reasonable person would see a 5/10 and think "Alright, it's an average game, I'll wait until a price drop", 90% of gamers nowadays will see a 7-7./10, hell sometimes an 8/10 and say "OMG IT'S FUKKIN GARBAGE FUK DIS SHITASDHDFSL!!!11!1ONE!!!". It's a really bad mentality that gamers need to fix up.

I also agree with the PC elitism. I've actually have had a lot of friends interested in investing in PC, but they always declined because they don't want to get caught up in such a toxic community. I agree that the community needs to do a lot of reforming before it can go up, though it still doesn't excuse devs making shoddy PC ports. They don't have to give into the demands of the 5 people who want their games to support the highest tier performance, but they should still make sure the game has a good, stable optimization, regardless of how shitty a community is

• Brohoof 1

Unfortunately this is something that's common in the gaming in general, while a reasonable person would see a 5/10 and think "Alright, it's an average game, I'll wait until a price drop", 90% of gamers nowadays will see a 7-7./10, hell sometimes an 8/10 and say "OMG IT'S FUKKIN GARBAGE FUK DIS SHITASDHDFSL!!!11!1ONE!!!". It's a really bad mentality that gamers need to fix up.

I also agree with the PC elitism. I've actually have had a lot of friends interested in investing in PC, but they always declined because they don't want to get caught up in such a toxic community. I agree that the community needs to do a lot of reforming before it can go up, though it still doesn't excuse devs making shoddy PC ports. They don't have to give into the demands of the 5 people who want their games to support the highest tier performance, but they should still make sure the game has a good, stable optimization, regardless of how shitty a community is

We are also seeing graphic requirements for PC games become unreal. Games that are coming out are now requiring like Top tier last gen cards to run optimal and people consider this "okay". When I first got into PC gaming, having a card that was low-top tier from 3 years ago meant you were looking at at LEAST 2-3 more years before you were forced into medium settings. Now it's like if you don't upgrade every year, say hello to medium settings in 2 years. 

I often have experiences with the elitism some players have, simply because of my platform of choice. I'm no longer even interested in arguing why I prefer playing on my Xbox as opposed to the much more successful Playstation 4 or the, arguably better, PC platform, because whenever I even mention my taste in console and games, I have hundreds of other players down my throat, hounding me about how terrible a person I am, and it's just ridiculous.

One of the common things I hear from PC players is that their platform is better because of graphics and all the mods and settings and stuff. And yet, they never seem to be happy with the graphics they are getting. It just confuses me that people can be so elitist about their chosen platform, and yet, never seem pleased with the features that they constantly boast about having. Like, wat.

Honestly, I think this is a good example of some elitism that just annoys me. I enjoy some of Levelcap's content, but this video was just too much imo:

unfortunatly this argument has been around for ages at the moment it is pc vs playstation vs ps4 vs xbox they all have good points they all have bad points however it has been around for ages since sega (yeah sega remember when they were a thing) vs nintendo hell probably before that unfortunatly it wont go away gamers are very passionate about what they like and if you dissagree with their view then you are wrong its what gaming is turning into i do like the news about the cross platforming between xbox and playsation which is a good step towards a better community

Two words friend. Vocal minority. PC gaming is so big at this point, you'd be crazy to think that there isn't a group of people out there, who think they're better than everyone else. Don't listen to them, move on.

• Brohoof 1

This to me is all started by an obsession with graphics and not much else. Sometimes it feels like the bit wars all over again. PC Elitism does exist, but as a console gamer myself, I know for a fact that console elitism is strong as well, mainly because some people are far too busy going on about how their preferred system has the better games, while outright ignoring any good games that the other system has. I find that to be incredibly juvenile and insulting to the devs of those games.

In short, I wish elitism of all kinds would end in gaming, as it only takes away from what gaming should be: Fun.

• Brohoof 2

Sorry, but the companies are not the only ones to blame. PC elitism is getting out of control, and until the gamers themselves (myself being one of them) admit to their own shit, then they can't fix anything. So many PC gamers I have seen complain that a game doesn't support 4k as a "problem" and that it's a "sign the developers aren't listening to them", when Valve reported from Steam only 2% of Steam users are using 4k.

The reason why developers put less effort into PC ports are numerous, but two that are problematic that are DIRECTLY the fact of the PC players are: low installbase. I'm sorry but PC is NOT biggest platform, and it's made less inviting by the atmosphere around it. If PC gamers stopped making PC gaming look like a prick waving fight, more people might actually sign up. The second problem is unrealistic expectations. PC gamers are reaching a point where some are expecting games to run in 4K at 100FPS on cards that are a year old. Hell the new 1070 and 1080 from Nvidia struggle to get 4k and 60FPS on Doom and those are new cards.

PC ports are going to be bad when you have a community that won't be satisfied no matter what you give them.

We can not deny that there is an inherent problem with the atmosphere of the community. So long as the community maintains its elitist aura, it will continue to receive half assed ports, ridicule and low media coverage. I mean PC games in general don't really get a lot of spotlight and it's probably due to the fact that no one wants to draw attention to a community that spends half of its time shitting on other gamers.

I say this AS a PC gamer: the community needs an overhaul. How can we even expect to fix broken porting and crappy business practices when it's DIFFICULT to get anyone to feel sympathetic to the problem because of the way PC gamers conduct themselves a lot of the time? To get attention to a problem, you need support. It's difficult to gain support when all your community is most known for shitting on other gaming communities. It's difficult to get console gamers (who make up a good portion of the market and could make enough noise to get developers to care) to give a crap about the PC port of a game being released broken.

The problem starts at home. It's so easy to pass the buck and point the finger at the developers like they are solely to blame, but the truth is: it's us too.

The thing is: if you can’t deliver, don’t deliver. I’m not talking graphics here; I’m talking glitches that make game ports unplayable. I’m talking trailers that have better graphics than the finished product while said trailers are displayed on Steam store. I’m talking 60$ for games that don’t work on platforms that should support them by companies’ own requirements info. That makes people angry and very toxic.

If you look at top played games on PC: LoL, CS: GO, Fallout4, Dota2, WoW, WoT, Heartstone, Minecraft … Yeah, such graphics, much elitism. Most of these games can be run on a wooden toaster and they represent what the largest part of the PC community plays. Sure, we are toxic. Yes, we complain a lot. But it’s funny that those games that hold such an insignificant part of PC market allegedly get the most shit from us. Do you play LoL? There ain’t much toxicity on their forums at the moment. Dota 2? Their Reddit is at peace. Now this are my circles, so I’m sure you as a fellow PC gamer can tell me which other MAJOR PC communities are engulfed in raging flames right now.

And don’t try to portray console gamers as sweethearts. They are as toxic as PC gamers, and they care just as much about PC ports as we care about console ones, broken or not. If a game works for someone, they won’t complain, even if they have managed to run it on the “bad” device. Saying that console gamers and companies won’t help PC gamers cause toxicity is a folly. Former won’t help cause they don’t care (and rightfully so), the latter won’t help cause they want the most money for the least amount of effort. Too bad Steam refund is a thing now.

I should ask: are you actually talking about PC community in general, or just ranting about those unhappy few who play bad ports?

The thing is: if you can’t deliver, don’t deliver. I’m not talking graphics here; I’m talking glitches that make game ports unplayable. I’m talking trailers that have better graphics than the finished product while said trailers are displayed on Steam store. I’m talking 60$ for games that don’t work on platforms that should support them by companies’ own requirements info. That makes people angry and very toxic.

If you look at top played games on PC: LoL, CS: GO, Fallout4, Dota2, WoW, WoT, Heartstone, Minecraft … Yeah, such graphics, much elitism. Most of these games can be run on a wooden toaster and they represent what the largest part of the PC community plays. Sure, we are toxic. Yes, we complain a lot. But it’s funny that those games that hold such an insignificant part of PC market allegedly get the most shit from us. Do you play LoL? There ain’t much toxicity on their forums at the moment. Dota 2? Their Reddit is at peace. Now this are my circles, so I’m sure you as a fellow PC gamer can tell me which other MAJOR PC communities are engulfed in raging flames right now.

And don’t try to portray console gamers as sweethearts. They are as toxic as PC gamers, and they care just as much about PC ports as we care about console ones, broken or not. If a game works for someone, they won’t complain, even if they have managed to run it on the “bad” device. Saying that console gamers and companies won’t help PC gamers cause toxicity is a folly. Former won’t help cause they don’t care (and rightfully so), the latter won’t help cause they want the most money for the least amount of effort. Too bad Steam refund is a thing now.

I should ask: are you actually talking about PC community in general, or just ranting about those unhappy few who play bad ports?

one thing to say *coughs very loudly* assasins creed unity *another loud cough* batman game  

Two words friend. Vocal minority. PC gaming is so big at this point, you'd be crazy to think that there isn't a group of people out there, who think they're better than everyone else. Don't listen to them, move on.

You know, the moment someone points out a problem in a group the words "vocal minority" are sure to sprout up when truthfully, a majority of the time there is no proof that these people are the "minority". That being said, it's often an excuse to ignore the problem and allow it to grow as it has. Doing nothing is what has allowed that "minority" to become what people think of when they think of a PC gamer.

It's a vicious cycle. PC players give nothing but complaints even for decent games and expect perfection, so companies put no effort into make the PC ports, thus they complain more, the cycle repeats.

If you look at top played games on PC: LoL, CS: GO, Fallout4, Dota2, WoW, WoT, Heartstone, Minecraft … Yeah, such graphics, much elitism.

Graphics =/= Elitism.

That being said, sorry but there is definitely some elitism going on in CS:GO, LoL, Dota2, etc. I don't think anyone can deny that. There is plenty of LoL players that insist games that are not league are not "real games" and that console players are not even "Real gamers" same can be said about CS:GO. There is definitely plenty of elitism there. The LoL community is considered by many the most toxic gaming community there is.

Most of these games can be run on a wooden toaster and they represent what the largest part of the PC community plays. Sure, we are toxic. Yes, we complain a lot. But it’s funny that those games that hold such an insignificant part of PC market allegedly get the most shit from us.

You seem to be taking this as a personal attack rather than trying to look at it objectively. Don't forget, I play PC too. The problem is that while PC gamers play games like CS:GO more, it begs the question of why they bother panning games like Doom at all when it isn't even a game they plan on playing that long. It's a matter of let's be blunt: there is a lot of complaining for the sake of complaining and a lot of the problems are created by PC gamers. The love and obsession with modding has lead a lot of developers to just go "fuck it, let them finish the game" because people bragged so much about how many games are "shit" without mods. Well now devs just don't even bother finishing the PC port half the time because they know people are just going to mod the hell out of it anyways. Us PC players have offered developers a FREE solution to patching a game: modders fixing the game. So they have virtually no reason to actually put as much effort into patching the game now.

I mean if you're a business and you run into a fanbase that GENERALLY complains about EVERY game you release and is never pleased and insists that modders do your game better than you: you're just going to release the game to be modded and call it a day.

Do you play LoL? There ain’t much toxicity on their forums at the moment. Dota 2? Their Reddit is at peace. Now this are my circles, so I’m sure you as a fellow PC gamer can tell me which other MAJOR PC communities are engulfed in raging flames right now.

LoL is always at war in some capacity, it just depends on which community you're looking at and which distros you're talking through. Reddit calmed down a lot over the years after the staff started actually enforcing rules.

And don’t try to portray console gamers as sweethearts.

I never did. They have their own problems, but they are not the same problems. They have unrealistic expectations at times too. I mean people thinking that the PS4 can run 4K games at 60FPS need to get their heads examined.

They are as toxic as PC gamers, and they care just as much about PC ports as we care about console ones,

There is a difference though in their problems. Console gamers generally don't even realize a PC port exists. PC players seem to emit a general level of discontent that consoles get a respectable port of a game at all, even if their version is just fine. I remember the amount of discontent that was spread through the Diablo community when the game was ported to the consoles. I recall on Blizzard's forums once, someone pointed out that since consoles can support a mouse and keyboard that porting Starcraft 2 was an option, and you would not believe the amount of anger and annoyance this one idea caused.

PC players have a problem in that they are against console players getting anything from their experience at all. I remember PC gamers getting mad when Fallout 4 was announced to have mods on consoles and many of them insisted that the console versions of the mods would be inferior in some form. It was all just denial talk because no one wants to admit that the gap between PC and console is closing and getting smaller. A lot of the benefits of PC are slowly moving to consoles and a lot of PC gamers don't like that idea at all.

That's a major difference between PC and console, console gamers generally don't care if PC gets to share their experiences. PC gamers seem to almost lose their minds when a console gamer is starting to get some of the benefits of PC.

If a game works for someone, they won’t complain, even if they have managed to run it on the “bad” device.

Not always true.

Saying that console gamers and companies won’t help PC gamers cause toxicity is a folly. Former won’t help cause they don’t care (and rightfully so), the latter won’t help cause they want the most money for the least amount of effort. Too bad Steam refund is a thing now.

This is not just an issue of releasing bad ports. Many companies release perfectly fine games on PC that are identical in performance and appearance to their console variants but then are heavily criticized because the PC version isn't "better" than the console version. They don't just always expect a good port, they always seem to want a "Better" port.

While Steam refund is a nice gesture and it has helped I still can't understand why everyone thought it was like the best thing ever done by Valve. Steam refund should have come YEARS ago and it's still limited. 2 hours sometimes is not enough time to judge if a game is worth the money or not, and console gamers have enjoyed a 7 day return policy from Gamestop and the ability to trade in games no longer wanted.

There are benefits and drawbacks to both PC and console, but actually acknowledging the problems with our own communities and not just going "WELL THEY ARE WORSE" and pointing the finger at someone else to deflect blame and ignore the problems is not going to solve anything. Newcomers to the PC world tend to HATE the aura the PC gaming world gives off and by saying "it's the vocal minority" or passing the blame or excusing it isn't doing anyone anything except keeping the stereotype alive. If you see someone behaving like a jackass, you should speak up. I have numerous times told asshats to shut up in the PC gaming world. This nonsense of bragging about rigs and screaming about how console players are "peasants" even in a joking format is getting old, fast.

Like everyone will defend the whole "PC Master race" is a joke, but there are a good handful of people who take it seriously and even as a joke it is still pissing people off.

The community in general. Again this is not a personal attack, I wish you would not take it as such. Pointing the finger at someone else to ignore the problems in the PC gaming world though is generally only an indicator that a problem exists. 

@Key Sharkz I feel like you're making this small problem seem way bigger than it actually is. Yes, there are elitist, but do we even see them anymore? Not really, they're very rare to come by. Sure there are those darn kids who spam "PC master race" everywhere, but they don't actually know what they're talking about. It's just a meme. I guarantee you more than half of the "elitist" are just people who like spewing memes all over the place.

Even if were really a problem, what would you even do to stop it? You can't force people to change their ideals. Just learn to coexist with these people. It's much easier than trying to make a person humble (if that's even possible).

• Brohoof 3

Don't go saying that console gamers are not elitist. They totally can be. I will say, however, that PC gamers can also be elitist. I am a PC gamer, so I see it a lot.

I am not elitist. I don't think PC is any better than console. I used to play xbox, so I've been on both sides. The only argument I can make is that Steam has f***ing awesome sales.

From my experience, PC gamers are most eleitist among themselves. By that I mean that they are always fighting among themselves on things like their PC specs. They look down on you if you don't build your own gaming PC. I bought a pre-built PC and when I tell other PC gamers that, they always say things like "you know, building a pc isn't so hard" or "You just wasted money". Well jokes on you because I can run the newest games on high settings and I payed less than some people who build their computers. HAHA. Suck it. 

I don't care about if the graphics are slightly better or things like that. I don't care if I have the best PC. I don't even care what platform I play on. I just want to enjoy the game for what it is. A game. PC just happens to be more convenient for me to play.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
This nonsense of bragging about rigs and screaming about how console players are "peasants" even in a joking format is getting old, fast.

The only reason I would call someone a peasant is if they proudly put themselves out there that they are shills for Microsoft and/or Sony and spew blatant lies about PC.

I bought a pre-built PC and when I tell other PC gamers that, they always say things like "you know, building a pc isn't so hard" or "You just wasted money". Well jokes on you because I can run the newest games on high settings and I payed less than some people who build their computers. HAHA. Suck it. 

The main reason I see a pre-built as a waste of money is that if you build a PC on price, you will have something more powerful. If you compare a store-bought PC to a self-built PC on performance. it will be less expensive. 

The other reason is that the vast majority of pre-built PCs that are marketed as a gaming PC will typically have a badass CPU, but a really weak GPU. Something like a 6700k and a GTX 770 for example. 

Edited by Warthog
  • Brohoof 1

@Key Sharkz I feel like you're making this small problem seem way bigger than it actually is. Yes, there are elitist, but do we even see them anymore? Not really, they're very rare to come by. Sure there are those darn kids who spam "PC master race" everywhere, but they don't actually know what they're talking about. It's just a meme. I guarantee you more than half of the "elitist" are just people who like spewing memes all over the place.   Even if were really a problem, what would you even do to stop it? You can't force people to change their ideals. Just learn to coexist with these people. It's much easier than trying to make a person humble (if that's even possible).

You could start by telling them to stop. That's generally what I do. I had a topic some time back pointing out the flaws of PC gaming and a good handful of PC gamers refused to admit there even was flaws.

Don't go saying that console gamers are not elitist.

I didn't?

I am not elitist. I don't think PC is any better than console.

This is the mentality we need to encourage.

From my experience, PC gamers are most eleitist among themselves. By that I mean that they are always fighting among themselves on things like their PC specs. They look down on you if you don't build your own gaming PC. I bought a pre-built PC and when I tell other PC gamers that, they always say things like "you know, building a pc isn't so hard" or "You just wasted money".

This is the mentality we need to discourage.

The only reason I would call someone a peasant is if they proudly put themselves out there that they are shills for Microsoft and/or Sony and spew blatant lies about PC.

To be fair, PC gamers spew lies about PC all the time... They also exaggerate. Like if you look at the PC Master Race reddit right now:

They claim that this rig they build for $340-$510 will save you money over getting an Xbox One or PS4... The rig doesn't even include a monitor. They didn't factor in any cable, mouse or keyboard. When I pointed this out they said just use an HDTV and get some cheapo mouse and keyboard for a few bucks. Doesn't it kind of defeat the "master experience" to hinder your control by using cheap, crappy mice and keyboards? And they're also assuming people have a GOOD HDTV that can actually see more than 60FPS, otherwise they are not getting the "benefits" of PC.

When point out that the system still costs more than a console they insist: "STEAM SALES!" but here's the problem with that: used games. Consoles have used game sales literally all year round. Many of them kind of negate the money you'd save on steam sales by buying used games on a console. Then the elephant in the middle of the middle of the room: that rig is going to need an upgrade to play games at max settings long before you need to buy a new console.

This whole "you save money" thing is just non-sense. A majority of people don't save money.

it wot be going away any time soon been around since the nintendo vs sega the human race is a passionate race its who we are as people (exeptions obviously) we fight about everything which beer is best which football team is best which game is the best it wont go away we defend what we love blindly yes but it is still something we do you can discourage it you can tell people to stop it wont go it never will with a franchise as big as gaming there will always be arguments. ALWAYS. the gaming community doesnt like these "elitists" but and i am sure some of you agree we ignore them i dont care if they have the new slim ps4 i am happy with what i have a medium spec pc that plays command and conquer (a real time strategy game) everywhere you go and look there are elitists but its not about the console you own its about the games the elitists are only seen more becouse it is fairly rare like plane crashes are widely reported becouse they are rare (not the best analogy) its the worst that make us look bad i carry on with my daily gaming life i prefer to argue about why developers love dlc and pre order bonuses and not about who has the highest specs *salutes walks out of door*  

Snip

Oh, there is elitism in the community, I just think that it is directed elsewhere as I expressed in my first post. What you pointed out in regards to popular PC games is not actual elitism but tribalism. It’s the same thing that makes football enthusiast slam each others' clubs, or why some think their vaillage’s wine is the best in the world while their neighbors make water with sugar.

I do think you are mistaken about the anger directed at consoles from the PC community. See, we are spoiled. We want options and good gameplay that is adapted to keyboard and mouse, and any time some company starts thinking about console ports, it sends the fear of gods across the ranks. This is not because of elitism where we would lose some esoteric status of “best platform;” it’s the fear that said company will strip us of these options because consoles don’t need them, and we can still play “just fine” without them. Most so-called community leaders would probably want to see consoles become more like PCs, as would I. Then we could all enjoy these games with some less bullshit that comes with optimization.

Why did I even bring the most popular PC games into the debate? I wanted to illustrate to you that these communities don’t give two shits about consoles. They just want to enjoy their games without disturbances. Yet here we are, with you accusing millions of casual PC gamers of elitism and vicious pack mentality (guilty as charged) that stems from it (not true), and you’re doing it all on the basis that we dislike ports that don’t represent a significant share of games played on PC. If all these gamers are so elitist, then why are most of them playing games that can’t even compare to console ports in their requirements? LoL can’t compare to console games. It’s shit, yet it’s the most popular PC game out there. Thus I can only conclude that there are other reasons for this console hatred.

I’m still waiting for the proof that this is indeed our community’s problem alone and not something the companies had encouraged with blatant lies about their ports. I’m not saying this because I want to deny the problem. I’m saying this because I honestly don’t see the same big problem you do. Gamer elitism is something that ruins games indeed, but this is not the elitism you are looking for.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

To be fair, PC gamers spew lies about PC all the time... They also exaggerate. Like if you look at the PC Master Race reddit right now:

They claim that this rig they build for $340-$510 will save you money over getting an Xbox One or PS4... The rig doesn't even include a monitor. They didn't factor in any cable, mouse or keyboard. When I pointed this out they said just use an HDTV and get some cheapo mouse and keyboard for a few bucks. Doesn't it kind of defeat the "master experience" to hinder your control by using cheap, crappy mice and keyboards? And they're also assuming people have a GOOD HDTV that can actually see more than 60FPS, otherwise they are not getting the "benefits" of PC.

When point out that the system still costs more than a console they insist: "STEAM SALES!" but here's the problem with that: used games. Consoles have used game sales literally all year round. Many of them kind of negate the money you'd save on steam sales by buying used games on a console. Then the elephant in the middle of the middle of the room: that rig is going to need an upgrade to play games at max settings long before you need to buy a new console.

This whole "you save money" thing is just non-sense. A majority of people don't save money.

First of all, don't insult the people on reddit. They know what they're doing. And anyways, why is one dude's build representing that whole section of the community?

I use a TV for my monitor. I've had the TV for a while, and it wasn't doing much. Plenty of people have do-whatever TV's to use as monitors. And anyways, basically all TV's now have the capacity to render about 80 frames per second at 1080.  And mice and keyboards aren't a big deal unless you make it so. You don't need 3/16 of an inch shorter button press than the competition to play a game. The only reason anyone would ever need a ludicrous keyboard an mouse is if you plan on professionally playing a MOBA or FPS game. I've got a Walmart headset, keyboard, and mouse. I enjoy my experience just fine.

Now, used games. Half the time, you could get a screwed up copy or some expired DLC code that is supposed to come with it. You pay for something, and then you don't get it. Then you walk back to the store. "Sorry, no refunds." Not that it happens all the time, but it's never fun. Steam always has things on sale though. There is never a time when Steam doesn't run a sale. When that happens, the world will end. I bought a $1 game that I've enjoyed for 100+ hours. I've bought console games for 35 dollars that I didn't even spend 10 hours completing.

Who said you had to upgrade your PC to play the same game? The only reason you would have to upgrade your PC is if you want to say, buy that new DOOM and run it on max graphics. You only need to upgrade if you decide to play more graphics-intensive games. You can go pick up Stardew Valley and get 186 frames on it (at times) using an old computer from 2008. If you're constantly forced to upgrade your computer, you either care too much about graphics or you're putting too much pressure on "having the latest and greatest." I haven't upgraded this PC since I got it. It's been a good 2 years. Sure, I can't run ARK: Survival Evolved at max settings, but then again, who can? (Seriously, I dare you to find someone with an economically reasonable computer that can actually run that under-optimized game at max graphics)

@Key Sharkz I feel like you're making this small problem seem way bigger than it actually is. Yes, there are elitist, but do we even see them anymore? Not really, they're very rare to come by. Sure there are those darn kids who spam "PC master race" everywhere, but they don't actually know what they're talking about. It's just a meme. I guarantee you more than half of the "elitist" are just people who like spewing memes all over the place.

Even if were really a problem, what would you even do to stop it? You can't force people to change their ideals. Just learn to coexist with these people. It's much easier than trying to make a person humble (if that's even possible).

Very true. I'm sure someone has said this somewhere, but this is how it works. The people with good thoughts and opinions don't say anything, while the flamers and haters will scream their mentality at the world with all their might. Therefore, public view = hate speakers, when in reality, it just happens that those 2% haters are the only ones talking. This gets blown out of proportion easily.

I often have experiences with the elitism some players have, simply because of my platform of choice. I'm no longer even interested in arguing why I prefer playing on my Xbox as opposed to the much more successful Playstation 4 or the, arguably better, PC platform, because whenever I even mention my taste in console and games, I have hundreds of other players down my throat, hounding me about how terrible a person I am, and it's just ridiculous.

One of the common things I hear from PC players is that their platform is better because of graphics and all the mods and settings and stuff. And yet, they never seem to be happy with the graphics they are getting. It just confuses me that people can be so elitist about their chosen platform, and yet, never seem pleased with the features that they constantly boast about having. Like, wat.

Honestly, I think this is a good example of some elitism that just annoys me. I enjoy some of Levelcap's content, but this video was just too much imo:

The dude in that video. I can't believe the fact that he's judging this all off of the multiplayer. He thinks it's a fucking "Competitive-based arena shooter." The game is built almost entirely on the singleplayer gameplay. Nowhere was it meant to be a multiplayer only game. I don't see how he manages to get this in his head. These are the people that bother me. "Well, you're not fucking good. Get good and stop using bullshit tactics. This isn't a real competitive shooter." This is what happens to people who play too much CoD and CSGO. He just manages to keep trying to say that nobody should be as good as him. "I'm good at this game, so nobody else can be. Reprogram it now."

Edited by \/
  • Brohoof 3

I do think you are mistaken about the anger directed at consoles from the PC community. See, we are spoiled. We want options and good gameplay that is adapted to keyboard and mouse, and any time some company starts thinking about console ports, it sends the fear of gods across the ranks. This is not because of elitism where we would lose some esoteric status of “best platform;” it’s the fear that said company will strip us of these options because consoles don’t need them, and we can still play “just fine” without them.

Which is an understandable fear, however what is NOT a reasonable fear is many PC players expect MORE than the console port. They don't just want optimized controls, they want better graphics, better textures, etc. They wouldn't be happy with a port that looks perfectly fine on consoles that is just optimized with PC controls and the ability to lower the settings if wanted. They want "better" settings a lot of the time. So many times I hear about how a PC port is bad solely because it doesn't "look better" than the console port. When let's be real here: console ports are not that bad looking anymore. A lot of console games run in 1080p these days and use decent textures.

Why did I even bring the most popular PC games into the debate? I wanted to illustrate to you that these communities don’t give two shits about consoles. They just want to enjoy their games without disturbances. Yet here we are, with you accusing millions of casual PC gamers of elitism and vicious pack mentality (guilty as charged) that stems from it (not true), and you’re doing it all on the basis that we dislike ports that don’t represent a significant share of games played on PC. If all these gamers are so elitist, then why are most of them playing games that can’t even compare to console ports in their requirements? LoL can’t compare to console games. It’s shit, yet it’s the most popular PC game out there. Thus I can only conclude that there are other reasons for this console hatred.

Where did I say "all"? Where did I imply "all"? Where did I even imply "most"? I said "some". I said it's a problem. I said that there is not a 100% certainty that the vocal minority is the minority, but I did not say that they were the majority. I merely said calling it the vocal minority is a cop out to avoid addressing the issue.

You're taking this as a personal attack when it isn't. It's a problem within the PC community that should be addressed.

I’m still waiting for the proof that this is indeed our community’s problem alone

I never said that. Again, you're taking this too personally. I am a PC gamer too.

I’m not saying this because I want to deny the problem. I’m saying this because I honestly don’t see the same big problem you do. Gamer elitism is something that ruins games indeed, but this is not the elitism you are looking for.

Gamer elitism exists everywhere, in every community, but right now we're talking about it within the PC community. Pointing the finger to someone else is just another way to distract from the problem. Going "Well look at them! Let's talk about them for a minute!" and hoping the conversation doesn't come back to you. It's counter productive because what do you think console gamers are going to do when the conversation shifts onto them? They will bring it back to someone else. Then that group will pass the buck and we'll continue in that circle.

So let's focus on one at a time:

I think we can ALL agree that there IS a problem with some PC gamers. There is an issue with people flipping out over ports not even being "that bad" and downvoting shit based upon elitist tendencies. There is a problem with elitism when people being too judgmental of console gamers. There is a problem with people insulting people with pre-built PCs. These are all problems. The scale of the problems are irrelevant here, because this is all elitism. It's all an issue and it should be addressed.

There is elitism in the PC community, that is not to say that they are the ONLY community with the problem, but they are the one we're focusing on at this current moment. We can talk about console gamers and that a bit later, but we can't make any progress if we're always passing the buck.

What needs to happen in the PC community honestly in my opinion is acknowledging these issues and addressing them.

The same can be said about consoles and being "against" the other console. People playing PS4 losing their shit over Xbox One is also an issue. 

What needs to happen in the PC community honestly in my opinion is acknowledging these issues and addressing them.

The same can be said about consoles and being "against" the other console. People playing PS4 losing their shit over Xbox One is also an issue. 

like I have said earlier these problems will not go no matter how much you want them to console generations will always fight as will fandoms as will everything on the internet it is only more evident now because of the internet. it will not go away because you are trying to change how people think we cant just wish this away and go back to life no matter how hard people try it will always be there. regarding addressing the issues within the pc community they are already acknowledged but they are near impossible to change.

I agree with what you are saying for the most part. but this is a problem that just cannot be solved there are millions of people willing to fight for what they love and they wont go away we could move mountains and they would stay firm and unrelenting. I say we just leave this matter we cant change it no one can just leave it be its a problem yes but not one we can fix as there will always be those that will defend what they love no matter what we do or how we do it. they wont go away

First of all, don't insult the people on reddit. They know what they're doing. And anyways, why is one dude's build representing that whole section of the community?  

Ask them that. They use said build in their guide to switching to PC that is posted on the sidebar. So this is the rig that the reddit chose.

Second of all, how is it "insulting" to criticize them? Criticism =/= Insults.

This is part of the issue. It's okay to criticize consoles all day long but the moment someone even criticizes a VALID criticism about PC, suddenly it's an insult. It's a personal attack and it can not be allowed.

I use a TV for my monitor. I've had the TV for a while, and it wasn't doing much. Plenty of people have do-whatever TV's to use as monitors. And anyways, basically all TV's now have the capacity to render about 80 frames per second at 1080.

A majority of economy TVs are just 60Hz. :\

And mice and keyboards aren't a big deal unless you make it so.

And then people will tell you having a mechanical keyboard is the "definitive" way to play. I am just pointing out that why advertise PC as the best platform if you are encouraging people to play in a way that does not maximize the platform.

You don't need 3/16 of an inch shorter button press than the competition to play a game.

And there are many who will disagree with both of us there.

Now, used games. Half the time, you could get a screwed up copy or some expired DLC code that is supposed to come with it.

Not true. "Half the time" is an exaggeration. Even stores like GameStop have a used game guarantee. If the game doesn't work you can swap it out within 7 days for a working copy. Most stores will not let unworking games leave the store. Plus I don't think ANYONE expects to buy a used game with a DLC code that works ever. You do have the advantage on PC in terms of DLC going on sale, but it doesn't instantly negate the fact that I can get used copies of games for dirt cheap as I would on Steam sales.

You pay for something, and then you don't get it. Then you walk back to the store. "Sorry, no refunds." Not that it happens all the time, but it's never fun.

What store are you going to? Most people go to Gamestop and Gamestop ABSOLUTELY gives refunds, and absolutely swaps out games if they do not work. As much as I HATE Gamestop and I think they suck, I can not knock them for shit they are NOT doing.

Steam always has things on sale though. There is never a time when Steam doesn't run a sale. When that happens, the world will end.

So do console games, and a lot of the time they are the same type of games: games that you wouldn't buy otherwise. Truthfully sales on like AAA titles which are ones that people buy the most of, only go on sale during select periods or after the game is so old that it's on sale everywhere else already anyways. Like the biggest benefit of Steam is games go on sale SOONER. However if you want to save the most money, waiting is always the best way.

Who said you had to upgrade your PC to play the same game? The only reason you would have to upgrade your PC is if you want to say, buy that new DOOM and run it on max graphics.

I would imagine if I am buying a PC to use as my primary gaming method, wanting to play new games would be something I'd want to do. I buy a console to play new games when they come out, otherwise I would have just held onto my PS2 forever. Wanting to enjoy a new game with a PC that I built like last year and wanting to play it on the max settings (which is one of the big hooks of PC gaming) is a bad thing? Why is it unrealistic to expect a machine that I built for MORE than a PS4 to run games in max settings that the PS4 can handle just fine for several years?

If you are only playing retro games or low graphic games than you're not even someone who's going to buy new consoles anyways.

You only need to upgrade if you decide to play more graphics-intensive games.

The majority of games play AAA titles which have high graphic demands. My whole point is that if I am using a PC to replace my console, I want to play the same games. Needing to upgrade only a few years after I got the PC to play the same games I would be playing on console kind of means PC gaming isn't cheaper. What you're proposing is "cheaper... If you change your taste in games", but the same could be said about consoles too. Consoles can get much cheaper if you don't play as many AAA titles too.

I play AAA games though. Any platform I game on should be able to play said AAA titles, and I do not think that is an unrealistic expectation because if a PC I built 2 years ago can't run a game that I can get on my 3 year old PS4 just fine, then clearly PC gaming isn't cheaper.

You can go pick up Stardew Valley and get 186 frames on it (at times) using an old computer from 2008. If you're constantly forced to upgrade your computer, you either care too much about graphics or you're putting too much pressure on "having the latest and greatest."

Or you just want to play modern games...

Very true. I'm sure someone has said this somewhere, but this is how it works. The people with good thoughts and opinions don't say anything, while the flamers and haters will scream their mentality at the world with all their might. Therefore, public view = hate speakers, when in reality, it just happens that those 2% haters are the only ones talking. This gets blown out of proportion easily.

It does not mean we should excuse this talk and not point out how it is damaging to the community.

The dude in that video. I can't believe the fact that he's judging this all off of the multiplayer. He thinks it's a fucking "Competitive-based arena shooter." The game is built almost entirely on the singleplayer gameplay. Nowhere was it meant to be a multiplayer only game. I don't see how he manages to get this in his head. These are the people that bother me. "Well, you're not fucking good. Get good and stop using bullshit tactics. This isn't a real competitive shooter." This is what happens to people who play too much CoD and CSGO. He just manages to keep trying to say that nobody should be as good as him. "I'm good at this game, so nobody else can be. Reprogram it now."

This is a rampant thing in the PC community though. When the Doom Beta hit Steam it was heavily panned for much of the same reasons. Clearly showing the problem isn't as small as we thought. People are too critical before something is even in their hands yet. 

as i can see from your posts you will not move your position on this subject very much and wash of some fairly decent points. something i do not agree with. so i take my leave before i get in a full blown argument something i would prefer not to get into as it would make this thread very toxic. so goodbye i will no longer be making replies to this thread