Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rant on "No Second Prances" and the show's writing

user1342342

It's been a while since I've watched mlp, so I decided to catch up and watch some of the newer episodes. I hated them, and I regret trying to give this show another chance. The new pony Starlight Glimmer is insufferable, Twilight is still annoying and overall mess of a character who values Celesita over friendship itself, and the writing overall is lackluster and mediocre. After watching no second prances, which killed any last bit of hope I had for this show, I'm done with it. 

Now the real rant beings. 

Starlight is one of the worst written characters on the show, right next to Twilight. She became a cult leader/dictator, enslaved a village using mind control techniques, and took away the very essence of their being, all because her friend got a cutie mark before her. Then she went to mess with the very fabric of time using her stupidly overpowered magic, nearly ruined the future for everyone, and continued her rampage despite seeing the result of her actions. What happens next? Her punishment is "friendship". That is just insulting. 

"No Second Prances" begins, and Starlight is "punished" by going out to make a friend, who happens to be Trixie. So Trixie has been going around putting on an apology tour to get ponies to like her again, that's interesting. Starlight takes her to Twilight, and the very first thing Twilight tells her to ditch Trixie and make a new friend. Twilight is insufferable. I also find it revolting how Trixie needs an apology tour, yet Starlight is REWARDED for doing far worse. So the episode goes on to show how the two actually can become good friends, and Twilight doesn't care. She doesn't even care that Trixie is trying to turn her crappy life around, not her apology tour, no "how have you been, are things going well?" She flat out doesn't care about her, and this irks me watching someone who is supposed to be the embodiment of friendship act like such a callous uncaring prick. Why is she not trusting Trixie despite forgiving her in her last appearance, why is she trusting starlight at all... Why does she persist after the episode flat out proves her wrong, and why does princess "friendship" need to learn a lesson about not being a jackass? She only cared about Celestia's stupid dinner party. 

Then the ending comes. Twilight's meddling and distrust finally gets Trixie angry to the point where she says something the episode makes very clear she didn't mean, and Starlight abandons her. Trixie is depressed from loosing the one friend she probably ever had, and goes to perform a career ending stunt that could seriously injure (or possibly even kill) her. Starlight asks permission to go save Trixie, and teleports her out of the manticore. Twilight comes and apologizes, and is forgiven... 

That's about it, I don't have much else to say. I hated this episode and what the show has become. I had hopes before, but no more.

@@1CJB, your post does not seem to be a facilitator of discussion with other members, and as you said is more of a rant or one-off review. It would be better as a blog. Feel free to share it by copy/pasting under your personal blog options.

As such; locking post.

• Brohoof 4