Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler How long can ponies live?

PuppyKit

Okay this is just my headcanon but I believe ponies can live to be 2000 years old or older. This is based on the new revelation in show where it is revealed neither Celestia nor Luna were born as Alicorns. The fact the show's writers have said Twilight will not outlive her friends supports the idea that ascended Alicorns do not live longer then any pony else and since Celestia and Luna are over a 1000 years old but at most are the human equivalent of 40 this means they have at least another thousand years of life left in them and since Alicorns don't live longer then any other type of pony that would mean all ponies can live for thousands of years. This is supported by the fact Granny is said to have been alive hundreds of years ago during the founding of Ponyville. She could very well be older then the princess.

Do you agree with this conclusion? If not how old do you think ponies can get and why?

Personally i think the comment was merely thrown out so as people didnt get to heartbroken at the thought that of Twilight outliving her freinds. The biggest clincher here is either alicorns dont show age like ponies or granney is just shriveled from some sort of disease. So although them living super long is plausible it wouldnt make sense for granney to start aging so horribly if she was say a 1000 years old because as you say if ponies lived to be 2000 she would only be middle aged? Why would her body be falling apart and her hearing going and other signs of advanced age?

• Brohoof 3

Well, Luna and Celestia became Alicorns very early in their lives, as for Cadence I'm assuming she became an Alicorn in her later life, though nothing like 1000 years (as hinted that Cadence was a unicorn when Luna and Celestia met her in the Sisters Journal.) I believe Alicorns live for thousands of years, but ponies do not.

(edited)

Well, Luna and Celestia are Godesses in their own right. they're on a different Tier of "longevity of life" Discord is also on said Tier. Since the rest of the ponies, Twilight and Cadence included, are not Gods/Godesses...I don't think that ponies can live 1000s of years...I mean, look at Granny Smith... She looks old and we've seen flashbacks of her as a young mare...and in said flashbacks, we've seen filly/foal Applejack. So, an average pony could probably live just as long as a human., taking into account the various flashbacks of the past we've seen.

Edited by Flutter Baby <3

@TriMara

I think it's very likely Granny is way older then the royal sisters and that's why she looks the way she does.

@Dream Solstice

Well From Flashbacks we saw Cadence as an older Filly babysitting Twilight and she was an Alicorn then. She's not that much older then Twilight I think

@Flutter BBab

I think AJ is 100s of years old herself as Doctor Whooves said he had been studying Time Travel for hundreds of years and he looks to be about the same age as the mane 6. Also I think the fan theory we all loved about the royal sisters being gods was disproven by the first episode of season 6. Discord, and possibly others of his kind if they exist, are the gods of this world. Alicorns are powerful but not gods themselves which would explain how they can be defeated so often

Okay this is just my headcanon but I believe ponies can live to be 2000 years old or older. This is based on the new revelation in show where it is revealed neither Celestia nor Luna were born as Alicorns. The fact the show's writers have said Twilight will not outlive her friends supports the idea that ascended Alicorns do not live longer then any pony else and since Celestia and Luna are over a 1000 years old but at most are the human equivalent of 40 this means they have at least another thousand years of life left in them and since Alicorns don't live longer then any other type of pony that would mean all ponies can live for thousands of years. This is supported by the fact Granny is said to have been alive hundreds of years ago during the founding of Ponyville. She could very well be older then the princess.

Do you agree with this conclusion? If not how old do you think ponies can get and why?

where did you get that Celly and Luna weren't born alicorns :huh:

Aside from alicorn-born ponies, I think they can live roughly the same as us: around 80 years of age 

@ Steve Piranha

Well in the first episode of Season 6 Celestia said Equestria had never seen the birth of an Alicorn before, meaning they themselves aren't natural born Alicorns. If they were born Alicorns they would have said something like "There hasn't been an Alicorn born since ourselves".

@Midnight Seashell & An Unknown Pony

There is no evidence that Ponies have the same life expectancy as humans. In fact most of the time when ponies talk about how long they live they speak in terms of centuries. This does give them an ancient feel but that might be what the writers are going for to help with the fantasy part of the world. In most fantasy stories human wizards can live hundreds of years and other creatures, like elves, are near immortal.

I believe there is a theory that Celestia and Luna are only so old because they were the bearers of the elements of harmony, but now that they no longer are, they are susceptible to aging. Not sure how much validity that theory holds, though.

For some reason I've been uncomfortable with the idea of C&L keeping themselves young through magic, so I have also headcanoned that ponies actually can live to be 1000 or so years old, and that they age differently from humans.

I disagree with the premise from which you've made your calculations. I still hold that Celestia and Luna were indeed born as Alicorns. During the season six premier, Celestia only commented saying, "The birth of an Alicorn is something Equestria has never seen". And Luna said, "It is beyond even our understanding". No previously established cannon has been broken here. Celestia and Luna were born Alicorns before the founding of Equestria by forces even they aren't aware of. My opinion, is that they were chosen by the cutie mark destiny system to govern the sun and moon. To do so, it's only logical to give them a lifespan at least equal to the lifespan of their respective Celestial bodies. As for every other pony, I think it's only reasonable to presume they live an average human lifespan.

The only race that's really been established to be immortal (or at the very least, gifted with a long life span) are Alicorns. 

The show didn't really provide any information on how long the other three races live.  On the contrary, there is heavy implication that they live lifespans close to those of humans (which would put it at around 80 years on average).  Implications include Granny Smith, other ponies aging, and of course Starswirl, who the show implies is no longer alive.  Of course it is possible that most Alicorns also fall under these constraints, and it could be only Celestia and Luna that are immortal, but I do think it would be more interesting if ALL Alicorns had that trait.

Note that I didn't mention Applejack and Apple Bloom's parents.  The circumstances surrounding their deaths have never really been made clear, so it's possible they might have died of natural causes, or it could be that they died in an accident or from a disease (I'm thinking the latter two are the most likely causes).

• 2 weeks later...

IRL, I ride real horses. I rode a horse named Waltz once, who was 17 years old, and he was considered old. Surprisingly, Horses like  25-30 years. However, We're talking about a world of magical talking pastel ponies, so they probably live longer then normal horses. Maybe 30-80 years? :scots:  :confused:  :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...