Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Akaraah's Intro

Akaraah

Hello eveyone, I'm Akaraah! :D

I am a member of 3DS forums who recently developed a love for My little Pony: Friendship is Magic upon watching it my very first time a few weeks ago. How it started off...all these pony images popping up on those forums and across the web since late 2010. Somewhere along the line I heard the name of the show though I don't quite remember when or where. Initially I chose to avoid it until around mid-September! Before I actually chose to see it, I was reluctant. Was the show these "ponies" were from so bad (like the Street Fighter American cartoon) that people made fun of it by posting images from it, or was the show so good that it became their top fandom? As you can assume, I got curious and decided "Hey, why not look up some reviews on this cartoon that is popping up all over the web?" And so I did on youtube and the search results that came up boasted a 15 minute review from a youtube account called TheOtakuAscended, or something similar to that (I might post a link to it at some point). I watched the review and based on the (two) reviewer's impressions, despite it taking on the IP My little pony, which is automatically branded girly and bleak by design, it was actually, ACTUALLY a genuinely great cartoon! To confirm the notion I watched the first episode with my twin brother along side me (who was also skeptic at the time) and had a great deal of fun doing so. The characters, unlike many other generic cartoons out there have actual personalities and despite the world being fantasy it almost seems believable (disregarding the inclusion of magic, slapstick, and a dominantly female population). My brother grew to love it too, and now this cartoon is my favorite cartoon to date! As the reviewer said, "it's a kid's cartoon...that takes kids seriously!" interpret from that quote what you will, but am 19 so I am not a kid. Lauren Faust and the others knew how to make a 'ponytoon' great, and did so, although they could have easily did a half baked job as many cartoons of a similar nature feel like.

So on and so, I do not have an exact favorite, but me and my brother both really enjoy Rarity's personality. Some don't see her as the element of generosity for some reason, but I think that is very silly. The characters aren't bland archetypes or cardboard cutouts; they have extremes and faintness. Flaws and positives! Rarity :D here is generose but has standards and wants things for herself, so she is like me in that way, wanting to do nice things when I can but also wanting things for myself.

Anyway, I don't want to introduction too long, but I'l happily engage in these forums when I'm not as busy (I take online college courses and have some assignments to complete) whenever I can. I haven't loved a cartoon this much in a long time, and that's coming from a guy who usually paid more attention to action/adventure tales.

Akaraah (first post)

Edited by Akaraah

Welcome welcome welcome!

I'm a weird type and I would have ended up watching the show anyway just to be weird but...I never thought I would absolutely fall in love with it as much as I have. The show transforms people. Too bad there's still many who write it off as a little girt's show so us guys, particularly the ones above 18 like you and I (I'm 20), only get made fun of.

• Brohoof 1

@Berrypunch

Thank you, I'm sure I will.

@Discordian

Thanks for the warm invitation. And personally I don't mind them hating on us that do. It's irritating of course, but I've always been open-minded about people's opinions even if I'm not fond of them (alas, this is the internet). Ed, Edd, n' Eddy is a cartoon that is somehow similar to me when it comes to cartoony antics but due to the the main characters being male people won't bash on it as much as rainbow colored cartoon ponies. ;) I remember when I was younger I hated on the Powerpuff girls, but now that I think about it, I only did because of this odd myth that cartoons with female characters as leads were bad (I did not REALLY think that, you know, with the mind of a 6 year old, but when you are a 6 year male this is just how you act at times). But all-in-all, that was a good cartoon as well.

I have to admit, I did not care much for the original generations until this cartoon, heck, I have a background on my computer with someone's OC and Fluttershy. Did you see old generation Spike? O.o

Hate normally doesn't bother me, honestly. (Dude, I love everything about the Sonic the Hedgehog series, from the early games to the new ones, from the comic to the cartoons. I'm quite used to hate. LOL) It's more because people I consider friends are the haters. :(

Also, I haven't seen any of the previous generations of MLP but I plan to watch them for comparison's sake. Knowing me I'm gonna end up liking them anyway but most likely not in the way I love FiM

Edited by Discordian

(edited)

@Discordian for comparison's sake, someone did a great job for those of us too busy to look up the old 'toon:

http://momogirl12345...com/462040.html

Well that sucks... So far, only me and my brother are the only fans of the show I know in person. Mostly because I graduated high school in June and my friends don't do much to get in contact. I did post something on FB about it and one of them liked the status so possibly he was a fan as well and knew what I was talking about? (Note, I only mentioned the name of the creator of the show, Craig McCracken, and something about ponies).

Edited by Akaraah