Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv #BoycottGhostbusters (at this point you have too)

Buck Testa

Could you meet me half way and wait till its in the bargain bin? It won't be that long of a wait I assure you. 

Why is that so important? Its just a Movie. There are bigger Problems in the World that i would think about.

But okay, since i collect Dc Stuff, i mostly wont have any Money left anyway.  :lol:

And new Movies are a little to expensive for me, so...yeah sure, i wait.  :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Why is that so important? Its just a Movie. There are bigger Problems in the World that i would think about.

But okay, since i collect Dc Stuff, i mostly wont have any Money left anyway.  :lol:

And new Movies are a little to expensive for me, so...yeah sure, i wait.  :fluttershy:

To put it quite simply: If the movie actually makes a decent profit even with its abhorrent Public Relations practices, then other movies will think all they need to do is brow beat people with politics to go see their movie instead of actually making a good movie. If this movie and its slanderous smear campaign against anyone with a dissenting opinion is allowed to look like a good investment, it will invite a floodgate of terrible movies and P.R sh*tstorms like this.

I would of loved to of simply of said, "nah I'm not going to see that" and move on with my day. However when me saying something as simple as that can get me labeled as a SEXIST, then I will fight against that tooth and nail. That is why this is important.

And thank you for waiting! 

Edited by Buck Testa
  • Brohoof 1

I ain't going to see it. But, I probably will end up getting it on DVD, eventually. I want to start reviewing movies and TV once we have a house.

Besides, as horribly as it's been handled thus far, I am pretty forgiving of generally bad movies.

I ain't going to see it. But, I probably will end up getting it on DVD, eventually. I want to start reviewing movies and TV once we have a house.

Besides, as horribly as it's been handled thus far, I am pretty forgiving of generally bad movies.

Just make sure you get it second hand or maybe just a dollar something at a redbox. Don't give these people more money than you absolutely have too if you are going to get it. Plus who wants to spend full price on a crap movie anyway. 

• Brohoof 1

If it helps, every one of our listeners is going to hear 8 whole minutes of reasons to stay home.  :sneer:

Hell yeah! Rip and tear that piece of garbage.

I'm not blind to the trolls on the other side of the fence that is using this whole debacle to be just as much of a misogynist caricatures as these radical "feminists" claim everyone in the opposition is, but these...

sig-4523893.Civ37NWUYAEBjnH.jpg

These are just wrong. 

And "professional journalism" just sank to a new level of stupidity.

I won't be seeing it at the cinema.  Not because of any moral outrage, and not because I'm outrageously sexist, but because I saw the trailer and it did not impress me enough to spend ten bits (+popcorn) on it.  I'll probably see it when (if) it hits Netflix, because then it won't be costing me anything I'm not paying anyway.

If you don't like the idea of the film for whatever reason, then don't watch it.  By making a huge moral crusade out of it you are simply providing it the oxygen of publicity that it craves, which is exactly what they want.  After all, there's no such thing as bad publicity, and there is no surer way to get people into the cinema to watch a film than by creating some kind of controversy around it.

Shitty remakes get made all the time. I don't understand why you feel the need to get up in arms about this particular movie.

The problem is that one man said he won't go pay to see the film because it looks crap. The internet responds by attacking him and saying that he is sexist for doing so. Paul Fieg has piggy backed off of feminism to sell this film and judging by the reaction: his intentions are clear. This film is not about anything beyond Paul Fieg getting his feminist cred.

Also One thing I will say:

This backfired so hard. Look at James' video now. It generated views insanely fast and has far more likes. It's clear that the exposure just gave him more ad revenue. Looks like their attempts to smear him failed because people ACTUALLY WATCHED his video and realized his reasoning was sound.

(edited)

Why should I boycott a rebooted movie? Hollywood does them all the time. It's not gonna do anything. I don't care that women are playing the Ghostbusters, I'm just not gonna see it because it doesn't look that good. Unless the Gods forbid, my boyfriend drags me to it for date night. XD

Edited by Leave a Whisper

Why should I boycott a rebooted movie? Hollywood does them all the time. It's not gonna do anything. I don't care that women are playing the Ghostbusters, I'm just not gonna see it because it doesn't look that good. Unless the Gods forbid, my boyfriend drags me to it for date night. XD

And that is basically what James Rolfe said in a nutshell, and he was crucified as a misogynist for that opinion by all kinds of media outlets, featuring personal attacks on him and even his wife. THAT is why I'm saying boycott this movie. 

And that is basically what James Rolfe said in a nutshell, and he was crucified as a misogynist for that opinion by all kinds of media outlets, featuring personal attacks on him and even his wife. THAT is why I'm saying boycott this movie. 

The above reason is why.

Not seeing the movie is one thing. That's all fine and good. However the reason why people should boycott this movie is because this movie is trying to use political agendas and screaming "sexism" if anyone doesn't like it. Boycotting it is the only way to tell the creators that this tactic is unfair, and not a viable strategy for selling movies. Essentially if this movie makes a profit what will happen is companies will get the impression that this is a viable strategy for films and that it's okay to behave like this. Paul Fieg doesn't deserve to make a profit from this film if this is how he intends to market this film.

It's pressuring the audience into seeing it by insisting if you DON'T like it, then you're just a bad person. If this becomes the norm or the accepted mentality, then directors can start forcing people to see terrible films by threatening public ridicule for not liking them.

It's also a complete insult to women.

Eh, it didn't stop people from going to watch Shama-lama-ding-dong's ATLA. Sounds more like pissy feminazis are raising a stink.

Correct, but the problem is if this WORKS and a profit is generated this sets the precedent. It tells Hollywood this is a viable strategy. Shama just makes crappy movies, he doesn't try to hide behind the shield of feminism to sell the crap. This guy is making a crappy film and basically saying we're all bad people if we don't like it.

Okay, I have a whole lot of thoughts on this and I'm going to try to get them all out here.

Honestly, this whole situation reminds me very much of the time I was pestered and borderline condescended to by news reporters for wanting to vote for Bernie Sanders in the primaries rather than Hilary Clinton. They essentially wanted to make me feel like a sexist for not "supporting a fellow woman". I was honestly taken aback and greatly offended by the whole thing. It plays into this notion that women need to be supported just for being women because otherwise they don't stand a chance competing against men, which is sexist beyond belief and downright gross.

Let's get one thing straight, women don't succeed in life because men are nice enough to give us a head start or hold the door of success open. We succeed because we're awesome, powerful ladies who kick ass and take names despite all the bigoted BS thrown our way. To see it any other way, to act as if we need to be graded with a handicap just so we can stack up to the men, is nothing short of misogynist nonsense.

I want to like this movie, honestly. Though the man being attacked is not one of them, there are people who will say that this movie flopped because of its female cast if it does flop. There are also people who will say it flopped because society is too sexist to appreciate a good movie with a female cast. Unfortunately very few people are going to judge this movie based on the actual movie itself.

Personally, I've seen the rise of much more problematic Hollywood films than this one. I mean, it's not like it's blatantly mocking and disrespecting suicide victims while whitewashing their stories or anything *coughcoughTHEFORRESTcoughstillsaltycoughcough*. However, there is definitely sexism and some icky manipulation going on here, and I definitely have my suspicions about how "inclusive" this movie really is (I'm guessing tokenized black character, tokenized fat character, and everyone's an abled monocishet, just saying). Personally, I only see like 1.5 movies in theaters per year, so I most likely would've skipped this one regardless, but after all the bullshit I've had to sit through on both sides of the aisle regarding this film, honestly I'm just bored with it before it's even out.

It does fascinate me though, none of this happened when The Force Awakens came out, yet they cast a woman and a black man as the central leads. Whiny sexist racist babies still whined on the internet, but the film was wildly successful and respected on its own merits. That's the kind of inclusion I'd prefer to see, personally.

• Brohoof 5

Okay, I have a whole lot of thoughts on this and I'm going to try to get them all out here.

Honestly, this whole situation reminds me very much of the time I was pestered and borderline condescended to by news reporters for wanting to vote for Bernie Sanders in the primaries rather than Hilary Clinton. They essentially wanted to make me feel like a sexist for not "supporting a fellow woman". I was honestly taken aback and greatly offended by the whole thing. It plays into this notion that women need to be supported just for being women because otherwise they don't stand a chance competing against men, which is sexist beyond belief and downright gross.

Let's get one thing straight, women don't succeed in life because men are nice enough to give us a head start or hold the door of success open. We succeed because we're awesome, powerful ladies who kick ass and take names despite all the bigoted BS thrown our way. To see it any other way, to act as if we need to be graded with a handicap just so we can stack up to the men, is nothing short of misogynist nonsense.

I want to like this movie, honestly. Though the man being attacked is not one of them, there are people who will say that this movie flopped because of its female cast if it does flop. There are also people who will say it flopped because society is too sexist to appreciate a good movie with a female cast. Unfortunately very few people are going to judge this movie based on the actual movie itself.

Personally, I've seen the rise of much more problematic Hollywood films than this one. I mean, it's not like it's blatantly mocking and disrespecting suicide victims while whitewashing their stories or anything *coughcoughTHEFORRESTcoughstillsaltycoughcough*. However, there is definitely sexism and some icky manipulation going on here, and I definitely have my suspicions about how "inclusive" this movie really is (I'm guessing tokenized black character, tokenized fat character, and everyone's an abled monocishet, just saying). Personally, I only see like 1.5 movies in theaters per year, so I most likely would've skipped this one regardless, but after all the bullshit I've had to sit through on both sides of the aisle regarding this film, honestly I'm just bored with it before it's even out.

It does fascinate me though, none of this happened when The Force Awakens came out, yet they cast a woman and a black man as the central leads. Whiny sexist racist babies still whined on the internet, but the film was wildly successful and respected on its own merits. That's the kind of inclusion I'd prefer to see, personally.

The problem is that Paul Fieg is more or less admitting indirectly he is JUST making this to get feminist cred. He's not doing it to make a movie that is quality about women, he's doing it to get the promised tickets of feminists and women. He's basically assuming this means every woman will pay to see it because they are dumb enough to fall for this obvious cash in.

I'm probably not gonna see it not because of the horrible jokes or an all-female cast, but because there's really no reason for a Ghostbusters 3 or a Ghostbusters reboot(We already got one in the form of a Video Game, with most of the original cast reprising their respective roles.  The Wii version gave me the option to have a Male or Female counterpart)

(edited)

There's an easy way around this:

Wait for all the female viewers of this movie to walk out, and wait for them to say that the film still sucks. Would those women be misogynist too?

I know I'm not watching. It just doesn't interest me, and I'll spend that ticket money on Independence Day 2 instead. 

Sequels > Reboots. 

Edited by Denim&Venom

Thing is, The force Awakens and Rogue One have good trailers and stellar marketing. Are there whiny sexist man babies going off on those two movies? Sure, but whiny sexist man babies, despite what the media would have you believe, are in the distinct minority. The quality of the movies and their merit are what made them the darlings of the public. 

THIS movie on the other hand has terrible graphics, stale jokes, uncomfortable stereotyping of an African American woman judging from these awful trailers, and just a hackneyed terrible looking movie all around just going from the trailer. There are a lot more reasons beyond a couple of sexists as to why it has over 800K dislikes. 

There's an easy way around this:

Wait for all the female viewers of this movie to walk out, and wait for them to say that the film still sucks. Would those women be misogynist too?

I know I'm not watching. It just doesn't interest me, and I'll spend that ticket money on Independence Day 2 instead. 

Sequels > Reboots. 

Yes, they would be "internalized misogynists" if I'm remembering the term right.... ugh

The problem is that Paul Fieg is more or less admitting indirectly he is JUST making this to get feminist cred. He's not doing it to make a movie that is quality about women, he's doing it to get the promised tickets of feminists and women. He's basically assuming this means every woman will pay to see it because they are dumb enough to fall for this obvious cash in.

This in a nutshell

Also in the news: 

Fair and balanced articles on AVGN?! 

https://medium.com/@robekworld/its-time-to-drop-the-angry-video-game-nerd-de30c07faa26#.h2uqlfext

http://heatst.com/entertainment/angry-video-game-nerd-james-rolfe-will-be-right-about-ghostbusters-being-terrible/?mod=sm_tw_post

Yes, they would be "internalized misogynists" if I'm remembering the term right.... ugh

You are indeed correct, someone with internalized misogyny is a woman who has taken in the sexist things that society peddles against women and perpetuates them herself. While it is a very real thing (trust me I know, I have many family members who display it quite blatantly), it certainly doesn't apply to not enjoying a movie based on the movie just plainly not being good.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not joining a boycott. I don't give a rat's posterior what everyone is saying pro or con. I'm not watching it, because it looked like a badly produced fan parody in the clips I've seen. Hollywood has basically admitted that the only reason why they went with a female cast, is so they could cry sexism when an unfunny reboot of a classic comedy goes flop. 

I just want to see the day when everyone reacts to when Godfather or Schindler's List is remade. Or oh heaven forbid, House of Cards is remade. Just to see how they like having their 'mature' movies and shows remade.

By the way, I'll never ever watch those movies including BusterGhosts (that's what I'm calling this movie, cause it's not even a proper Ghostbusters Film. It's all bass ackwards). Even House of Cards.