Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv #BoycottGhostbusters (at this point you have too)

Buck Testa

Movie looks like shit because it looks like unfunny shit and I don't want to taint my memories of the original movie. According to the people making it though it apparently makes me sexist :l

I just want to see the day when everyone reacts to when Godfather or Schindler's List is remade. Or oh heaven forbid, House of Cards is remade. Just to see how they like having their 'mature' movies and shows remade.

By the way, I'll never ever watch those movies including BusterGhosts (that's what I'm calling this movie, cause it's not even a proper Ghostbusters Film. It's all bass ackwards). Even House of Cards.

Don't give them any ideas. The Godfather is one of my all time favs and I cannot handle a reboot happening

I just want to see the day when everyone reacts to when Godfather or Schindler's List is remade. Or oh heaven forbid, House of Cards is remade. Just to see how they like having their 'mature' movies and shows remade.

By the way, I'll never ever watch those movies including BusterGhosts (that's what I'm calling this movie, cause it's not even a proper Ghostbusters Film. It's all bass ackwards). Even House of Cards.

I'll bet you a virtual cookie that one of the next things that gets rebooted is Back To The Future. 

I'm not joining a boycott. I don't give a rat's posterior what everyone is saying pro or con. I'm not watching it, because it looked like a badly produced fan parody in the clips I've seen. Hollywood has basically admitted that the only reason why they went with a female cast, is so they could cry sexism when an unfunny reboot of a classic comedy goes flop. 

You not seeing it is more than good enough for me, you do you. 

You are indeed correct, someone with internalized misogyny is a woman who has taken in the sexist things that society peddles against women and perpetuates them herself. While it is a very real thing (trust me I know, I have many family members who display it quite blatantly), it certainly doesn't apply to not enjoying a movie based on the movie just plainly not being good.

The problem is that you have these people who claim to be feminists crying wolf over every f*cking little thing out there. "Everything is sexist, Everything is racist, and you have to point all of it out" This is the mantra coming from the people that have hijacked a movement I REALLY want to agree with. I'm all for equality, but when you have people laughing about 'White male tears" 

1432077166462.jpg

Then yeah I can't in good conscious claim to be apart of that movement. 

It is just a movie, a crappy looking movie that SJW's are having a bitch fit over, but seeing as they have a bitch fit over pretty much everything and there are far more important battles I want to fight in my war against cultural authoritarianism I am just going to sit and laugh at all the stupidity and then pretend this insult to the originals dosen't exist.

The problem is that you have these people who claim to be feminists crying wolf over every f*cking little thing out there. "Everything is sexist, Everything is racist, and you have to point all of it out" This is the mantra coming from the people that have hijacked a movement I REALLY want to agree with. I'm all for equality, but when you have people laughing about 'White male tears" 

sig-4526087.1432077166462.jpg

Then yeah I can't in good conscious claim to be apart of that movement. 

I'm quite honestly very confused about what this has to do with what I said. Are you suggesting that internalized misogyny isn't real because some people take it too far? Are you trying to say that the use of it here isn't valid even though that's exactly what I said? Are you just off on a tangent? I'm really not sure at this point

However, while the topic is up, I do feel the need to impart a bit of wisdom on the subject, as it seems very pertinent to the topic at hand, and like something that will benefit those reading the thread.

No matter what you do, no matter what you like, think, identify as, or believe, there are going to be people who like, think, identify as, and believe those same things who are assholes. You will literally never get away from this, no matter what you choose to align yourself with, there will always be people doing stuff that makes you ashamed to label yourself the same way they do. I used to struggle with this a lot, as an MLP fan in the height of the "anti-brony" nonsense, as a Pagan finding herself in a horrifically toxic and cruel Pagan community, and as a feminist watching people do cruel things in the name of some backwards concept of "equality". At the end of the day, you have to just do what's right for you and not try to take on the shame of those who use your labels for evil, because if you can't do that then trying to label yourself in such a way that you're never taking on guilt is going to drive you crazy.

Don't say "I can't be part of X group because there are some people using the group name badly". Define yourself as what you are, and buck everyone else who tries to tell you what your own labels mean.

• Brohoof 3

No matter what you do, no matter what you like, think, identify as, or believe, there are going to be people who like, think, identify as, and believe those same things who are assholes. You will literally never get away from this, no matter what you choose to align yourself with, there will always be people doing stuff that makes you ashamed to label yourself the same way they do. I used to struggle with this a lot, as an MLP fan in the height of the "anti-brony" nonsense, as a Pagan finding herself in a horrifically toxic and cruel Pagan community, and as a feminist watching people do cruel things in the name of some backwards concept of "equality". At the end of the day, you have to just do what's right for you and not try to take on the shame of those who use your labels for evil, because if you can't do that then trying to label yourself in such a way that you're never taking on guilt is going to drive you crazy.

Sorry for the confusion, I suppose that was a bit off topic.

I'm saying that people claim things that aren't there in a "crying wolf" style in order to have control over people, but it hurts the cause when actual causes of sexism or "internalized misogyny" comes to light because people get desensitized to the rampant misuse of those terms. 

That is good advice though, I guess I would say I'm a REAL feminist then, while whomever the hell those people who are claiming to be the same while abusing the platform, like the people behind this movie that are literally using as a shield from criticism, have nothing but my contempt.  

• Brohoof 2

I'll bet you a virtual cookie that one of the next things that gets rebooted is Back To The Future.
To be completely honest, if they do. I hope they use a PT Cruiser. Just so I can get a good laugh at the trailer.

No matter what you do, no matter what you like, think, identify as, or believe, there are going to be people who like, think, identify as, and believe those same things who are assholes.

True, but the meanings of particular political and social labels often change over the years and not always for the better so what one thing means today could mean something very very different tomorrow. Which is one of the many reasons why said labels shouldn't be over relied upon and individualism should be emphasized over collectivism in most cases.

• Brohoof 1

This is a supposed leak on the disastrous plot of this movie. It lines up eerily well to the second Trailer, which came out after this disclosure took place, so it seems to be on the level. If this is the case, then the movie is going to be just as utterly terrible as everyone is saying. Not to mention there is going to be a literal ghost possessed dance routine with the police and military... how stupid is that.

Sony is also Heavily moderating posts that have legitimate grievances against the movie, while leaving the troll comments with racist/sexist tones to them in order to present the image that the opposition towards this film is purely motivated by misogyny and bigotry.  

Telling me to boycott something is pretty much the quickest way to get me to not boycott something and post pictures of me not boycotting it where people who told me to boycott it are sure to see.

I haven't seen a darn thing wrong with this film yet, and I've been waiting for it for a while. Also, Slimer!

• Brohoof 2

I haven't seen a darn thing wrong with this film yet, and I've been waiting for it for a while.

To echo @@Key Sharkz, Paul Fieg (the man in charge of the reboot) made this movie for no other reason than to pander to the SJW areas of the feminist movement, and Fieg literally believes that everyone who pans the film and the trailers is a sexist shithead. A great chunk of people panned Ghostbusters and won't see it because:

1. the trailers presented a very poor quality of the film
  2. the female leads are offensive stereotypes
  3. Fieg used the feminist movement as a pawn to gravel at them and get media attention. As a feminist myself, this disgusts me.
  • Brohoof 1

I wasn't planning on seeing it in the first place.

But I do think that some people are overreacting about all this. It's just another reboot. Some are good, some are bad. Boycott it all you want, but there will still be some people who want to see it regardless of the drama. Can't stop them.

I honestly just didn't even care the moment I heard this was coming out. I'm not interested in seeing it as it's not the type of movie I normally see anyway.

(edited)

On the one hand, Rolfe complaining that he won't review this movie because it'll "ruin his childhood" is stupid and petty and it's 100% wrong to judge movies sight unseen if you're a reviewer or consider yourself a fan of the franchise (we have the equivalent in this fandom, just ask the Princess Twilight haters or Lily Peet, who won't review Starlight Glimmer episodes). If you really don't want to pay full price for it, at least pirate it or wait until it hits Redbox so you can pay pocket change instead of full price. You don't really know whether a movie really sucks or not until you actually see it. It's really wrong to complain about these media vultures attacking him on that alone because he pretty much invited it, even though that doesn't put either side in the right in any way. He started this war in the first place, and even though the people who attacked him deserve no validation for their disgusting insults and hack journalism, the least he could do is own up to his prejudices.

I can't stand the politicized pandering of this movie and I don't think it was necessary, but on the other hand, I don't fully care about it either. I could care less who sees it or doesn't, or if it's really good or bad. I haven't been to a movie theater since last summer. I liked the original Ghostbusters, but I'm no fan of this franchise. I also can't stand the vulture journalists and the heavy politicization of Hollywood movie making in this age of social liberal extremism. Why can't we just let movies be movies nowadays and judge them based on how they tell their stories, not based on whose political agenda they promote or the gender and race of their characters? For that reason, I wouldn't boycott this movie unless it actually told people to go out and commit murder or hate crimes.

To me, this is just a movie that will exist, that will cause three quarters of the Internet to explode in a mass of anti-intellectualism, emotional retardation, and political extremism when it does release, and will blow over within a couple of months. No one's puppies are being slaughtered here.

^EDIT: Spoilered uninformed parts, refer here

Edited by Wind Chaser
  • Brohoof 1

I haven't seen a darn thing wrong with this film yet, and I've been waiting for it for a while. Also, Slimer!

I'm assuming you've just read the title and didn't look at the original post or the videos. There are more than enough reasons to support why I'm saying such a thing there. 

Posted Today, 06:08 AM On the one hand, Rolfe complaining that he won't review this movie because it'll "ruin his childhood" is stupid and petty and it's 100% wrong to judge movies sight unseen if you're a reviewer or consider yourself a fan of the franchise (we have the equivalent in this fandom, just ask the Princess Twilight haters or Lily Peet, who won't review Starlight Glimmer episodes)

He said no such thing. If you had watched his video you would know this.

He didn't want to watch this movie because its a reboot and is attached to the original franchise in name only.  He referred to it as a name make. He said nothing of ruining childhoods, nor was he whining. This portrayal of him being this sniveling man baby is exclusively the product of the media and not of reality. 

It's really wrong to complain about these media vultures attacking him on that alone because he pretty much invited it

No, no he did not. He was informing his 2 million fans who would have expected a review out of him that he did not want to see this movie because it had no direct connection to the original save for its name. He referred to it as a name make. He also talks about how, because its just named Ghostbusters, they now have to refer to them as the 1984 Ghostbusters and the 2016 Ghostbusters, or the Male and Female Ghostbusters. Those were his complaints, if you don't believe me you can watch the video yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz8X2A7wHyQ

He started this war in the first place, and even though the people who attacked him deserve no validation for their disgusting insults and hack journalism, the least he could do is own up to his prejudices.

Own up to his pregiduces? Again, have you SEEN his video? He makes it clear as day what his reasoning is, and he had to make it to prevent his fans from asking about it when the movie actually comes out. All it was was an update, not a declaration of war. THAT came from the media and celebrities whom decided to brand him a sexist for having an opinion.

• Brohoof 3

On the one hand, Rolfe complaining that he won't review this movie because it'll "ruin his childhood" is stupid and petty and it's 100% wrong to judge movies sight unseen if you're a reviewer or consider yourself a fan of the franchise (we have the equivalent in this fandom, just ask the Princess Twilight haters or Lily Peet, who won't review Starlight Glimmer episodes). If you really don't want to pay full price for it, at least pirate it or wait until it hits Redbox so you can pay pocket change instead of full price. You don't really know whether a movie really sucks or not until you actually see it. It's really wrong to complain about these media vultures attacking him on that alone because he pretty much invited it, even though that doesn't put either side in the right in any way. He started this war in the first place, and even though the people who attacked him deserve no validation for their disgusting insults and hack journalism, the least he could do is own up to his prejudices.

Not true. The trailer is designed to create excitement for the film. It failed to do so, and he's not the only one. If a trailer for a film looks like crap, you don't give them money anyways or just give them money through a rental. If the trailer looks shit, you just don't want it. The quality of the film looks garbage, so yes: you don't watch it. It probably will hurt many  fans to see it because it's watching something you loved get butchered. Remember Dragon Ball fans when Dragon Ball Evolution came out?

That being said, James actually never said it would ruin his childhood.

No, James is saying the shit that needs to be said because of the MENTALITY we have about films. If a film is bad, people will still pay to see it, knowing it's bad from the trailer, hearing it's bad but insisting on "seeing for themselves" and giving the film makers money to vomit on the screen. When do we stop and go "you know what? What's the point of reviewing to tell you if something is worth your money if you are just going to see it anyways?"

I can't stand the politicized pandering of this movie and I don't think it was necessary, but on the other hand, I don't fully care about it either. I could care less who sees it or doesn't, or if it's really good or bad. I haven't been to a movie theater since last summer. I liked the original Ghostbusters, but I'm no fan of this franchise. I also can't stand the vulture journalists and the heavy politicization of Hollywood movie making in this age of social liberal extremism. Why can't we just let movies be movies nowadays and judge them based on how they tell their stories, not based on whose political agenda they promote or the gender and race of their characters? For that reason, I wouldn't boycott this movie unless it actually told people to go out and commit murder or hate crimes.

The problem is that if this movie makes a large enough profit, it tells the film maker that using an agenda worked to sell the movie. We may start seeing more movies doing this, so it's necessary to boycott the film to keep movies about entertainment and not agendas.

Sweet hell... There is a new trailer and it is almost as cringeworthy as the original:

They felt the need to bring up gender and race in the trailer too... We get it Paul, you made a movie for "the womenz".

(edited)

I'm assuming you've just read the title and didn't look at the original post or the videos. There are more than enough reasons to support why I'm saying such a thing there. 

He said no such thing. If you had watched his video you would know this.

He didn't want to watch this movie because its a reboot and is attached to the original franchise in name only.  He referred to it as a name make. He said nothing of ruining childhoods, nor was he whining. This portrayal of him being this sniveling man baby is exclusively the product of the media and not of reality. 

No, no he did not. He was informing his 2 million fans who would have expected a review out of him that he did not want to see this movie because it had no direct connection to the original save for its name. He referred to it as a name make. He also talks about how, because its just named Ghostbusters, they now have to refer to them as the 1984 Ghostbusters and the 2016 Ghostbusters, or the Male and Female Ghostbusters. Those were his complaints, if you don't believe me you can watch the video yourself.

Own up to his pregiduces? Again, have you SEEN his video? He makes it clear as day what his reasoning is, and he had to make it to prevent his fans from asking about it when the movie actually comes out. All it was was an update, not a declaration of war. THAT came from the media and celebrities whom decided to brand him a sexist for having an opinion.

I'll admit, I made the post early in the morning and I skimmed everything, including the video. He makes clear points in the video and I didn't look at it too fairly.

I understand his reasoning now, but as a reviewer, I think it's still a bit too much to shut down this film completely based on the trailer. You never really know what a film is until you see it. If you don't like the movie and/or wouldn't contribute to it, there are ways you can watch it without paying a dime to it, or paying as little as possible. For the good of film criticism, I'd keep politics or the past out of it and give the film a chance. But he made his choice, and he has a good reason.

If this guy pays for one ticket, or pirates it once, and gives it a negative review with complete reasoning about the film itself on its own as opposed to the trailer and the context of the series, how many more people is that going to motivate to stay away from the movie than just not seeing the thing?

Edited by Wind Chaser

Is it strange that I actually kind of want to see this film now, mostly out of curiosity? I love the Nerd. I've been a fan of his since 2006. I also know he's a huge Ghostbusters fan. I saw and enjoyed both movies too. Well after the fact, but I still enjoyed them. That said, maybe I'm not the kind of Ghostbusters fan that is causing the Internet to explode. I'm just someone who enjoyed the earlier films, and may consider seeing how this latest one compares. Yes, it looks stupid, but that doesn't mean it won't be at least entertaining. I'm cool with the comedy aspect being played up, because that's kind of what made Ghostbusters fun to begin with.

Yeah, James makes some good points in his vid, and he justifies his reasoning. But he's also one critic, and obviously a much larger fan of the film franchise than me. I can respect his opinion, and it doesn't sound like he's avoiding the movie entirely. He's just waiting to see what the critical and commercial reception is first, before he sees it, and he's probably aware that if he were to do a review of the film, it would be riddled with bias. So maybe he is making a sound decision by letting someone else review the film instead. There will definitely be Internet reviews of the film, so worry not.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

If this guy pays for one ticket, or pirates it once, and gives it a negative review with complete reasoning about the film itself on its own as opposed to the trailer and the context of the series, how many more people is that going to motivate to stay away from the movie than just not seeing the thing?

I can sum why this doesn't work in two words: MICHAEL BAY!

Edited by The Coffee Pony
  • Brohoof 2

I'll admit, I made the post early in the morning and I skimmed everything, including the video. He makes clear points in the video and I didn't look at it too fairly.

I understand his reasoning now, but as a reviewer, I think it's still a bit too much to shut down this film completely based on the trailer. You never really know what a film is until you see it. If you don't like the movie and/or wouldn't contribute to it, there are ways you can watch it without paying a dime to it, or paying as little as possible. For the good of film criticism, I'd keep politics or the past out of it and give the film a chance. But he made his choice, and he has a good reason.

I'll just say it now, advocating to pirate the film is not a good thing to do. Not paying to see it is one thing, but stealing it isn't fair and is against the law. That being said, pirating it sometimes tells the director that the film is so good people are stealing it even. It also just encourages anti-piracy protection to get stronger, more annoying and such. >_>

That being said, a trailer's purpose is to create attention and suspense to see the film. The trailer failed to do so. On top of this, this video is NOT a review, he is stating he won't be doing a review.

Also as I said, the problem he is getting at is as he puts it a novel concept is to not go and see a movie that just looks bad. People will see a bad review of a film or all the negative flack it's getting and decide "well let's go see how bad it is" and give people money. He made a follow up video:

In said video he explains that when you pay to see the film even if you KNOW it's going to be bad, it encourages them to keep making them. STOP paying to see them and they will stop being made. Otherwise you are sending the message out to Hollywood that creating films that are so bad they spark curiosity is a viable strategy. This film is of low quality, the person making it is only doing it to fuel an agenda, both of which he does not deserve to make a profit off of.

Say no to bad films, say no to paying to see cash grabs and films intended to fuel an agenda. Say yes to paying only to see quality films or films that look like they had effort put into them. But do not go and see it "to see how bad it is".

I'll just say it now, advocating to pirate the film is not a good thing to do. Not paying to see it is one thing, but stealing it isn't fair and is against the law. That being said, pirating it sometimes tells the director that the film is so good people are stealing it even. It also just encourages anti-piracy protection to get stronger, more annoying and such. >_>

That being said, a trailer's purpose is to create attention and suspense to see the film. The trailer failed to do so. On top of this, this video is NOT a review, he is stating he won't be doing a review.

Also as I said, the problem he is getting at is as he puts it a novel concept is to not go and see a movie that just looks bad. People will see a bad review of a film or all the negative flack it's getting and decide "well let's go see how bad it is" and give people money. He made a follow up video:

In said video he explains that when you pay to see the film even if you KNOW it's going to be bad, it encourages them to keep making them. STOP paying to see them and they will stop being made. Otherwise you are sending the message out to Hollywood that creating films that are so bad they spark curiosity is a viable strategy. This film is of low quality, the person making it is only doing it to fuel an agenda, both of which he does not deserve to make a profit off of.

Say no to bad films, say no to paying to see cash grabs and films intended to fuel an agenda. Say yes to paying only to see quality films or films that look like they had effort put into them. But do not go and see it "to see how bad it is".

I understand where this is coming from, but if most of his fans want him to see it (mainly so they don't have to), I'd feel he owes it to them in good faith, especially if they're helping to support him. Being that Rolfe is self-employed for the most part, he has the choice, made his positions clear, and I respect him for that.

I'm merely saying what I'd do differently. From the initial trailer, it doesn't look like a good film. The cast lacks the chemistry of the originals and it's hard to tell if this is a reboot or a remake, to the point where people are making new terms to describe it. But, since I'm not a reviewer by trade (like I said, I haven't been to the movies in a year), I don't have any obligation to put out an opinion on it. But if I was, I'd put politics aside and give it a fair review.

I understand where this is coming from, but if most of his fans want him to see it (mainly so they don't have to), I'd feel he owes it to them in good faith, especially if they're helping to support him. Being that Rolfe is self-employed for the most part, he has the choice, made his positions clear, and I respect him for that.

I'm merely saying what I'd do differently. From the initial trailer, it doesn't look like a good film. The cast lacks the chemistry of the originals and it's hard to tell if this is a reboot or a remake, to the point where people are making new terms to describe it. But, since I'm not a reviewer by trade (like I said, I haven't been to the movies in a year), I don't have any obligation to put out an opinion on it. But if I was, I'd put politics aside and give it a fair review.

The thing is though, he's not basing this on politics though. He's ignoring the agenda of Paul Fieg and judging the quality of the trailer.

The thing is though, he's not basing this on politics though. He's ignoring the agenda of Paul Fieg and judging the quality of the trailer.

It's a different kind of politics, not the identity politics of the movie's social agendas but the studio politics behind why it was made and how an unnecessary installment is being forced into a beloved franchise. Those are good points, and the trailer sucks, but still independent of the film on its own merits.

It could be surprisingly good (however unlikely) but he'll never know, and nor will his fans get it from him if they trust him any more than other critics.

It's a different kind of politics, not the identity politics of the movie's social agendas but the studio politics behind why it was made and how an unnecessary installment is being forced into a beloved franchise. Those are good points, and the trailer sucks, but still independent of the film on its own merits.

It could be surprisingly good (however unlikely) but he'll never know, and nor will his fans get it from him if they trust him any more than other critics.

Well no offense but doesn't that mean he's doing his job? It's not his fault that his fans are loyal and trust his opinions. If anything it's Paul Fieg's fault for not making a trailer that could capture someone who has a great influence over if people see the film or not. The Nerd is just doing his job by saying he won't see it, because really that's his way of telling his fans he doesn't feel it's worth the money.

If Paul Fieg wished to fix that, he would have invested a bit more effort into the trailer which is supposed to generate attention and hype for the movie. 

I read your post. I didn't think it convincing enough to not see a film. If I dislike the film, it will be on its own merits, not the stated intentions of the director.

I'm confused is this movie a sequal or a reboot?

A reboot. a terrible terrible reboot.

I read your post. I didn't think it convincing enough to not see a film. If I dislike the film, it will be on its own merits, not the stated intentions of the director.

I'm saying that not only is the movie going to be bad (I posted vids in this thread with links to leaked spoilers), but that if this thing does even a little well it will set a precedent that ANY movie studio can latch onto a political movement and brow beat the public into seeing it or be branded as sexist or racist or what have you, instead of pulling them in on the quality of the film and marketing alone. This could flag in a bunch of terrible movies where every single one of them is crucifying people for not wanting to watch it.

• Brohoof 1