Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

sports 2016 Summer Olympics

Jon the VGNerd

August is around the corner with the next Summer Olympics being held in Brazil after 2012 which was held in London, though while some are excited to see the next games, others say it'll be a mixed bag, ranging from the usual political instability to the negative safe water levels from the beaches in Rio, which is worse than any usual shark attack, including the recent outbreak of the Zika virus. Not to mention the overall safety for tourists and athletes alike. I myself am looking forward to this, but judging by the overall conditions in Brazil, particularly in Rio de Janeiro, this might be a mixed bag by the time August arrives.

What are your opinions for the upcoming Olympics in Brazil? Will it make or break?

• Brohoof 4

I'll be watching it! I adore the games and will of course be rooting for the USA teams. I know that Brazil has had a extremely combustible and complex political climate, but I suspect that it won't spill over to the events. 

Either way, I am hyped. 

• Brohoof 3

I follow the games, absolutely. I've been a fan of it, ever since the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta. After the horrendous results from London, i hope that Team Germany is doing better this time around and hopefully Is being placed under the best 10 nations in the world.

Also, the political climate of Brazil, probably won't have any negative effects. The World Cup 2 years ago also went by peacefully and i think it will be no different this time. Also, i think there are enough guards and policeman there, for such a big event.

• Brohoof 3

I'm so following this topic. This needs to be the general 'root for your team/sporting event' thread for this when we get to the games. Thanks Jon for making this topic. 

• Brohoof 2

Fun Fact: we germans are always the hot favorites, to win the "Equestrian" events. :P

• Brohoof 2

I will for sure be watching this year's olympic games. I have always found this event to be fascinating, regardless of the sport being practiced. I am excited to see the equestrian portion of the games the most, however. I think that Brazil is a pretty cool place to hold the games at as well! I am really excited for August.

• Brohoof 1

I'm so following this topic. This needs to be the general 'root for your team/sporting event' thread for this when we get to the games. Thanks Jon for making this topic. 

Had to do so ahead of time. Glad I could help.  ;)

• Brohoof 1

What do you guys think, of the new olympic event, kitesurfing?

I watched some youtube vids and it looks kinda impressive. But i never saw a whole competition.

• Brohoof 1

I have an unhealthy obsession with Olympic games. I typically do nothing but watch the games all day and night. I particularly like the sports we don't see often (field hockey! Rowing! And in winter curling!) And I cheer so much for my beloved Team USA! I'm bummed Phelps did a big retirement and is back.

How about golf making it in!! :D. Bad choice it being stroke play instead of match play and so many big names are opting out, especially the Australians :(

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thought i bump this thread with this

In my opinion, Magic Voices from Sydney 2000 and Reach out from Los Angeles 1984 where the best songs for any olympic games. :)

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

Time to revive this thread and to revive the hype.

Unofficially, the olympics start today, with the womens football tournament, as Sweden plays against Iraq at 1:00 PM Brazilian time.

Gotta admit, I am hyped for the skeet shooting, soccer/football, and basketball tournaments! :)

• Brohoof 2

Golf will also be pretty interesting for us germans. Alot of the pros are not going, because of either the zika virus, or the lack of money. Kaymar is going and i think he has a realistic chance at a medal.

• Brohoof 1

Golf will also be pretty interesting for us germans. Alot of the pros are not going, because of either the zika virus, or the lack of money. Kaymar is going and i think he has a realistic chance at a medal.

Is Germany favored in any of the events?

• Brohoof 1

I am so hype for the lesser sports!

Let's hear it for badminton, field hockey & indoor volleyball!

Seriously, all events are amazing, from fencing to gymnastics, to swimming to the track & field.

I like the track and field events the least through *shrugs*

Also I love me some beach volleyball. 

• Brohoof 1

Is Germany favored in any of the events?

Sure, especially the team sports. Hockey, Football/soccer, Handball. We got some very good gymnastics. We have good Equestrian riders. And we are also very good in canoeing.

We will catch some gold in Rio and maybe, we will be under the top 10 nations in this olympics. :)

I am so hype for the lesser sports!

Let's hear it for badminton, field hockey & indoor volleyball!

Seriously, all events are amazing, from fencing to gymnastics, to swimming to the track & field.

I like the track and field events the least through *shrugs*

Also I love me some beach volleyball. 

That's the great stuff about the olympics. You can watch sports, that you usually don't see.

I love following Hockey, because Germany always does good there, considering the man won the tournament 3 times in a row now. :P

Beach Volleyball is also cool and sometimes Germany also tends to surprise there. :)

• Brohoof 1

Olympics start officially tonight. :D

Have something to get hyped and maybe to laugh a bit at. :P

• Brohoof 1

Just saw that America's first gold medal this year was won by Ginny Thrasher in the 10-meter air rifle competition, and she goes to West Virginia University.

Pretty damn cool. :D

Gotta say that after watching the finals for the women's 10m air rifle and men's 10m air pistol finals I have a new sport I REALLY want to follow now. There is just so much tension in these precision sports that I want to see more!

And now; archery. :)

Opening Ceremony was nice (at least before it got to modern time things, then it was a little boring). My entire family and I (and a couple friends) were surprised to learn that the majority of Brazil doesn't believe that the Wright Brothers invented powered flight. They believe a man named Alberto Santos-Dumon did. They say the Wright brothers didn't count because they hopped rather than flew. As an Ohioan I find this completely insane. Only Brazil believes that they didn't. Weird.

Edited by LHfunk

Crashing while you have a close to a minute lead is a bad feeling, but what about going from being the presumptive gold medalist to barely 4th in a matter of seconds right before the finish line :C ?

I've got it running in the background while I work, and I just happened to look when that poor woman crashed while in first place! That must have been so awful for her. I'm just glad she's okay. And I saw the end of the race, it must suck to go from 1st to 4th in seconds, and to come all that way. 

This is why I would never compete in the Olympics...Plus I'm too competitive! XD