Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

sports 2016 Summer Olympics

Jon the VGNerd

German Archary competitor Lisa Unruh, won surprisingly silver, in the womens archery singles competition. She is the first athlete in german history, who won a medal in archery single.

I am finding the Olympics rather entertaining, I suppose, despite the fact that I often tend to show a lack of interest in sports. I've been enjoying the diving and gymnastics, but that's all I've been watching due to it being on in the background. Every time I watch any sport, though, I haven't a clue how they do it.  :twi: Must take an awful lot of time and effort to prepare for everything.

I'm pretty sure you're right! I enjoy sportsing once in a while, but I wouldn't be ready to put in all the discipline, time and energy to become an elite athlete. When you look at the athletes in cycling, long distance running, cross-country skiing and such, I'm pretty sure a big part of being really good is being able to resist pain! While I'm not afraid of a little pain, it seems quite unnecessary to expose myself to that kind of effort :) Do you think there are other things you'd be prepared to give all that time and effort for, if not for competing in sports?

German Archary competitor Lisa Unruh, won surprisingly silver, in the womens archery singles competition. She is the first athlete in german history, who won a medal in archery single.

Is her last name really Unruh? Doesn't that mean like restless or worried?

Is her last name really Unruh? Doesn't that mean like restless or worried?

Yes, that's pretty much her name. XD

• Brohoof 1

I know most people in here are probably US Americans. But I would like to express and share my joy over the Swedish women's performance in the soccer quarterfinal against the US. I'm so happy they made it. Team USA has a super strong team, like always, and dictated the play, but Sweden had a strong tactical performance and got to win on penalty kicks, after having a goal wrongly disallowed (to be fair, the US team also had a ball in the net, that I'm now sure should have been disallowed either). Anyway. No one (almost) believed Sweden could win this match. My favourite team of all teams. But they did win. Oh joy.

• Brohoof 1

With Serena Williams out of the equation, now I'm hoping for a new, rising star that is Monica Puig of my island home.  :idea:

Keeping my fingers crossed for yet another nation to earn their first olympic gold :)

I know most people in here are probably US Americans. But I would like to express and share my joy over the Swedish women's performance in the soccer quarterfinal against the US. I'm so happy they made it. Team USA has a super strong team, like always, and dictated the play, but Sweden had a strong tactical performance and got to win on penalty kicks, after having a goal wrongly disallowed (to be fair, the US team also had a ball in the net, that I'm now sure should have been disallowed either). Anyway. No one (almost) believed Sweden could win this match. My favourite team of all teams. But they did win. Oh joy.

Even as a US American, the win for Sweden did not bother me at all. I tend to enjoy seeing the underdog win and Sweden has been fun to watch. :)

With Serena Williams out of the equation, now I'm hoping for a new, rising star that is Monica Puig of my island home.  :idea:

Honestly, it's about time that someone not named "Williams" takes the gold in women's tennis. Puerto Rico is technically a territory of the United States so I won't feel like I'm betraying Team USA, lol. :lol:

• Brohoof 2

Even as a US American, the win for Sweden did not bother me at all. I tend to enjoy seeing the underdog win and Sweden has been fun to watch. :)

Honestly, it's about time that someone not named "Williams" takes the gold in women's tennis. Puerto Rico is technically a territory of the United States so I won't feel like I'm betraying Team USA, lol. :lol:

Technically, it counts as a nation for the Olympics, mind you.  :-P

• Brohoof 1

Technically, it counts as a nation for the Olympics, mind you.  :-P

Haha I know, and it's nice that it gets to have a sense of national identity in competitions like this.  :grin:

I've been watching swimming. It's the only sport I'm interested in since I'm a swimmer myself. Once it's over I'll probably be done with watching the Olympics. :P That Katie Ledecky though!

Although there's still the marathon swimming... which sounds awfully dangerous because of how contaminated the water is :unsure:

• Brohoof 2

Puerto Rico got its first gold medal from Monica Puig in Tennis!!!  :pinkie:

Congratulations. Wouldn't have guessed that you would beat Angelique, considering she won the Australian Open and was in the finals of Wimbledon. But we germans are also proud of Angelique Kerber. She played a great tournament.

That was indeed a sensation. But you better watch out. If you get into the finals, you might play against the german women. ;)

• Brohoof 3

Although there's still the marathon swimming... which sounds awfully dangerous because of how contaminated the water is :unsure:

I initially thought the diving pool was contaminated too because the water literally turned green:

green-poolsjpg.jpg.size.xxlarge.original

Turns out, someone had the bright idea of putting hydrogen peroxide in the water instead of chlorine. This neutralized the chlorine and allowed plenty of algae to grow in there once athletes started using it.

That was indeed a sensation. But you better watch out. If you get into the finals, you might play against the german women. ;)

This seems very likely at the moment. I feel like Rainbow Dash when she meets the Wonderbolts, after the semifinal where Sweden beat Brazil after a penalty shootout. Ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh! :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Brohoof 1

fabian-hambuechen-im-weissen-shirt.jpg

After years of struggling, Fabian Hambüchen has finally won a gold medal on the highbar. Since 2004 has he won european and world championships in gymnastics. But now, in his last appearance, has he finally crowned his career.

For me, this has been the biggest highlight of the olympics.

• Brohoof 1

Right, so I just read that thousands of people in the audience at women's soccer semifinal Brazil-Sweden chanted homophobic words directed at Sweden's goalkeeper. I am now extra pleased that the two Swedish players that clinched the victory in the penalty shootout both are married. To women.

In your face, bullies. Love is free.

• Brohoof 1

Right, so I just read that thousands of people in the audience at women's soccer semifinal Brazil-Sweden chanted homophobic words directed at Sweden's goalkeeper. I am now extra pleased that the two Swedish players that clinched the victory in the penalty shootout both are married. To women.

In your face, bullies. Love is free.

Ignore them. It's now all in the past. :P

I am really looking forward to the final in Maracana, since germany won 2-0 against Canada.

sig-4638794.fabian-hambuechen-im-weissen

After years of struggling, Fabian Hambüchen has finally won a gold medal on the highbar. Since 2004 has he won european and world championships in gymnastics. But now, in his last appearance, has he finally crowned his career.

For me, this has been the biggest highlight of the olympics.

That's awesome! I always enjoy when an athlete who has waited so long for a championship finally wins it in their last attempt before retiring. Not only did they win it (obviously!), but they ended their career in the best way possible.

• Brohoof 1

That's awesome! I always enjoy when an athlete who has waited so long for a championship finally wins it in their last attempt before retiring. Not only did they win it (obviously!), but they ended their career in the best way possible.

The thing with Fabian was, when he appeared in Beijing 2008 and London 2012, the pressure on him was high, because everyone hoped for a gold medal. Problem is, he never could handle pressure and just received bronze and silver.

This year in Rio, at his last games, nobody expected anything from him. :P

• Brohoof 1

Usain Bolt is moving on to the 200 meter semifinal. Maybe they should just give him a free pass into the finals every time because we all know he's going to make it anyway. ;)

Just kidding, but every time he advances like that, I'm like:

This guy is a machine and one of the greatest athletes of all time. He's the one who inspired me to take up track and field in high school. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Brazil just won its men's football semifinal by a landslide. I can't say I'm surprised. Now I hope Germany wins its semifinal against Nigeria so the gold medal game will be a rematch of the 2014 World Cup semifinal!

Edited by Prospekt
  • Brohoof 1

Bulgaria won its first medal thanks to Elitsa Yankova

She took part at the women's freestyle 48 kg wrestling competition

638-397-elica-iankova.jpg

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuussss :yay:

Germany won the gold medal of the women football tournament, defeating sweden 2-1 in the final. :D