1. 1. Did you like it?

• It was bad; deplorable even.
    • I just didn't like it.
    • So much meh.
    • I liked it well enough.
    • It was FABULOUS Darling!

Damn that was great, I have no opening quips

What I liked:
The Mane 6: THIS EPISODE LIED! It wasn't a Rarity episode, it was a Mane 6 episode and it was glorious! This is what I've wanted to see for ages! All the Mane 6 have a role in the episode, each still in character and being funny to boot and having a hoof in the resolution. I'd write about how each one was amazing, but I don't have a couple of hours to do that
The Format: First we have an in mes res or whatever it's called, then a flashback within a flashback with added commentary. Loved the reporter set up and the cut backs to the characters at the diner, that was fun.
The humor: Not to much on the slapstick or silly side, a great overall balance with lots of sight and other gags.

What I didn't like:
That I didn't notice the background ponies during the interview portions until half way through the episode.

What was meh: 
Russian pony: So is he in the mafia or what?

So yeah I freaking loved this episode but I will argue it's not a Rarity episode. 

• Brohoof 5

It had Vinyl Scratch in it so it is automatically good!

Joking aside, I loved the formatting of this episode - the multiple interview sections used to make this like a reality TV episode, the real-time scenes were perfectly placed, and every character shined in their own way.

My only complaint is that it felt a bit like Canterlot Boutique and The Gift of The Maud rolled into one - not a totally fresh take on things, but I think the format of the episode more than makes up for the similarities.

Ah, if only all Rarity-related episodes were this fresh and lively. The Mane 6 were acting more naturally here than in their very own episodes. Writers, burn this one into your craniums!

P.S: Best Twilight this season. See, she does not need pets to excel.

P.P.S: Cutlery clothes should have been canon from the start!

Très bien!

• Brohoof 1

Damn that was great, I have no opening quips

What I liked:

The Mane 6: THIS EPISODE LIED! It wasn't a Rarity episode, it was a Mane 6 episode and it was glorious! This is what I've wanted to see for ages! All the Mane 6 have a role in the episode, each still in character and being funny to boot and having a hoof in the resolution. I'd write about how each one was amazing, but I don't have a couple of hours to do that

The Format: First we have an in mes res or whatever it's called, then a flashback within a flashback with added commentary. Loved the reporter set up and the cut backs to the characters at the diner, that was fun.

The humor: Not to much on the slapstick or silly side, a great overall balance with lots of sight and other gags.

What I didn't like:

That I didn't notice the background ponies during the interview portions until half way through the episode.

What was meh:

Russian pony: So is he in the mafia or what?

So yeah I freaking loved this episode but I will argue it's not a Rarity episode.

I agree with you. Though the plot setup was centered around Rarity this was a true ensemble piece ... which I seriously approve of since all the characters get a few good moments ... <3

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I really appreciated the unique approach to storytelling. They went back and forth between the interview and the previous day's events, which provided some much needed comedic and narrative relief.

"I literally know nothing about clothes. I can basically only tell you if something is clothes or not. This chair right here? It's not clothes"

:lol: This episode was a lot of fun. I like when an episode has a lot of stuff going on, yet doesn't feel overwhelming or padded with filler. Saddle Row does a solid job of keeping the flow consistent. I love the callbacks and references too.

Edited by Rivendare
  • Brohoof 3

What an awesome episode. The interview style was hilarious and it reminded me of Parks and Rec (which is probably what this episode is referencing?). The episode also had a lot of great jokes and it was just really funny. I love how the Mane 6 all had their time to shine and it had a great ending too. So yeah, overall I liked this episode. Spoon dresses need to be a thing.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

Well, a great episode, nothing more needs to be said... but some little first thoughts for y'all

First, the way they handled the caracter was all done with such greatness.

The caracters stayed true to themselves, although it may have not seemed that way for the entire episode.

Also, I loved how the pace did it's thing until we reached the end were all of the caracters wrapped it up in such a good way.

What can I say more about this, yeah! The style of the episode, with this reality show kind of style with all the flashbacks accompanied with those interviews, it's just that well executed! It's also what made this episode felt unique in such a way, not to mention it has not been experimented on the show yet.

Also, the humour, ah yes the almighty humour! From twilight going all *sweep sweep sweep* mode, just so funny yet so cute, to parts with great references like the devil and angels aside Pinkie just like in all of those cartoons.

I also see all of those remixes that are gonna spawn out of the *sweep sweep sweep* thing, but after I heard that people could remix this, I just thought I maybe could do a Djent remix of this, and yes, you can't STOP ME! :angry:

On a serious note though, great ep. nonetheless (but that Djent remix is happening, I'm telling y'all).

TL;DR: Great episode with some great caracterizations and style, but with this humour they tackled, it all felt well done

Rating: 9.5 to a 10/10

Edited by Cosmic V0rtex
  • Brohoof 4

I loved this one. <3 Best pony bias aside, really liked how they handled it; the humor, the expressions, the set-up, some cute moments as well~ Definitely one of my favorites of the season, along with Gauntlet of Fire.

Also, Twilight knows how to drop some beats. :D Sweep sweep sweep sweep sweep~

Sweep sweep~!  :twi:

Seriously, yeah. A great solid episode with a fun story-telling style. And tons of humor. Episodes like this make me want to bounce!

medium.gif
View on Derpibooru (Original source unknown at time of posting)
  • Brohoof 6

Josh Haber made a great point on Twitter that his 6 year old had a hard time piecing back the story due to its presentation. As younger kids are still building on the concepts of time and abstracts, this actually may have been an episode that isn't as accessible to the youngest fans of the show.

Very very interesting thought. Does not impact how much I adored it, but it does make one ponder.

• Brohoof 10

Wow look at that, a Rarity centered (a bit less than so than usual but still, it's ultimately about how the Mane 6 related to Rarity, everything they did they did because it's what they thought Rarity would want them to do, until they realized they needed to also put their own unique viewpoints in use) knocks it out of the park?

WHAT A SURPRISE RIGHT?!??! 

Im sorry I just feel so smug right now, so many people were complaining about Rarity having too many episodes and then look at that, her episode provides basically ALL the Mane 6 with some of their best characterization in the season and is just generally great.

• Brohoof 3

SPOILER ALERT!  I thought this episode was adorable! It was very good! Before the episode came out I saw a comment that said the episode would probably be like "Castle Sweet Castle" and in a small way this is true with 5 of the mane characters trying to help the other and things getting complicated so they get the one pony to stay away from the complications until it's fixed, but it's also a tiny bit of a reversal of the lesson from "Castle Sweet Castle" because this time they thought too much about what Rarity wanted without trusting their own instincts. If you think about "Castle Sweet Castle" and this episode side by side you come away with the message think about what the other person wants while trusting your instincts in a balanced way. I loved the fact that this episode was basically a story,within a story,within a story which makes it more dynamic than "Castle Sweet Castle" I loved how all the characters were being interviewed and I adored the "Too Many Pinkie Pies" reference! That was golden LOL!  Pinkie talking to the angel and devil that looked like Rarity was cute and it reminded me of a scene in the "Mr Stenchy" episode of Lilo & Stitch and also reminded me a bit of "The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows" because Pinkie is once again hearing Rarity's voice in her head. We once again heard one one of the Mane 6 imitate another member of the Mane 6 which was funny but I hope they do not overuse this joke. Some people might find this episode too simple but I thought it was very clever!! 

• Brohoof 5

I don't think words can adequately express just how fantastic that episode was. That was easily the funniest episode of the series, and that's really saying something.

11/10

• Brohoof 4

Josh Haber made a great point on Twitter that his 6 year old had a hard time piecing back the story due to its presentation. As younger kids are still building on the concepts of time and abstracts, this actually may have been an episode that isn't as accessible to the youngest fans of the show.

Very very interesting thought. Does not impact how much I adored it, but it does make one ponder.

That's really interesting. And also makes sense. What I'm curious about is how much of that is related to cognitive development and how much is cultural expectation. Kids literally have developing minds, so some things won't work for them until they're older (try teaching a five year old about double integrals) but then there are also things they can learn and understand but don't because culture doesn't push it as a norm. Maybe I'll talk to my mother about it because she's actually an early childhood development teacher...(I get lucky insider info)  :D

(edited)

Alright, Saddle Roe & Rec, or my assumed working title, Boutique Sweet Boutique.

Let me clear something up here. I DO enjoy this episode but I have to say that the setup feels very similar to Castle Sweet Castle from the previous season. Not to say this is a bad episode, in fact after seeing the things everyone else is saying about it I might go back and watch it again to see if my opinion changes, but I still want to give me initial, genuine, god dammit why is this show on so early, first thoughts. 

Ok so this episode, I didn't think it was anything too special. I didn't notice the mockumentray style interviews going on in the episode until I saw all the reviews here pointing it out. I was kind of scared for this episode, seeing as how the last episode where Rarity had a main role (Gift of Maud Pie) had all the enjoyability of a burning 20 car pileup in terms of writing. Thankfully though that wasn't the case for Saddle Roe & Rec. I enjoyed a lot of the self-referential humor in this episode as well as the occasional throwbacks to previous adventures, and I thought every character had their talents implemented nicely. Also I hope Dave Rapp was watching this episode and taking notes, because mister Confalone, showed the proper way to have a character do an impression of another character, and it was with Rainbow Dash. 

So yeah another decent and enjoyable from the man who is the second best writer of the season. (Will be third if any of Mike Vogel's future episodes are as good as A Hearths Warming Tail.) But all n all I like Saddle Roe & Rec and my final rating for this episode is a 7.4/10 

Edited by Zantetsuken
  • Brohoof 4

I'm very glad to hear about this. Guardians are the target audience of the show, and guardians are responsible for explaining to kids content they might find confusing or upsetting. FIM is a family show, and apparently, Saddle Row helps prove it, even by its diminutive sample size.

Speaking of Saddle, I just started watching it. Rarity's "NO SPOILERS!" got a laugh outta me already. XD

• Brohoof 3

Also was I the only one who expected Plaid Stripes to say Republic credits are no good in Manehattan?

• Brohoof 2

Rarity's "No Spoilers!" was awesome! I'm using that so much when Rogue One rolls around!

And Twilight's little wing flutters when she was covered in dust was tote-tote adorbs! 

• Brohoof 2

IT WAS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I am starting to like Rarity more and more

You should always like Rarity, she's a great friend with a lovable personality and the best damn track records for episodes on this show.

• Brohoof 2

Alright, who wrote this episode? I want that person to write every episode ever.

That was the hardest I laughed at MLP in years. The jokes were spot on and well-timed, we got some Coco, Vinyl had a somewhat important role and it didn't even feel like pandering but rather it felt natural, continuity was great, the whole flashback/interview style was great, and the whole Smokey Raccoon story was amazing.

I had extremely low expectations for this episode, and it exceeded anything I could have imagined!

10/10! :D

• Brohoof 6