Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your thoughts on the Sleepover book?

Unlikeable Pony

I didn't like it that much. I didn't feel like the characters acted like themselves tbh and at times they seemed more like elementary students in highschool than actual teens.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Just gonna repeat what I said in another thread:

Don't expect quality writing or anything, but for what it is, it doesn't really do anything wrong, it's inoffensive and comfy. Nothing really interesting, but there is a nice moment from Dash during the ToD segment(worth noting since this is...well, EQG Dash), and it gave a couple of moments for some of the Shadowbolts, like actually letting Sunny Flare do something. It loses points for not having Zesty in it though

Overall, I can't recommend it on a good conscious if you dislike EQG, it's not gonna do anything to change your mind, but if you do enjoy the series, there's no harm in giving it a go

Also, Twilight's new look is adorbs

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 2

I didn't like it that much. I didn't feel like the characters acted like themselves tbh and at times they seemed more like elementary students in highschool than actual teens.

I'll agree there. The shadowbolts seemed WILDLY out of character in the book; Sour sweet lacked her normal tic of acting nice and then being a total bitch, and sugar coat's bluntness only was shown in a couple situations (and only if you read between the lines). Plus, Sunny flair being the alpha of the group with Sour sweet being completely subversient seemed WILDLY out of character for how sour acted in the movie.

Past that... it was okay, since I understand its aimed at a MUCH younger audience (Ironically, despite EQG supposedly being aimed at older kids than FIM, the FIM chapter books were more dense than this XD), and can't expect game of thrones here :P

The characters were decently silly and there was a few jokes in it that were decent (I liked Dash's constant "Don't eat the strawberries" bit after she got chewed out, as I can see dash over obsessing over something like that as if its a huge deal if she got yelled at), and I also found the bit about the rock climbing and holding your partner's rope contrasting with the shadowbolts always being together but never helping each other good.

Overall it was pretty bland, and not really something I'd reccomend to older fans, but good for the younger tots I guess.

sadly, this was a huge step down from the last two books; the first rainbow rocks book and the Sunset time to shine book were both MUCH better and interesting stories than this, and I found a decent read. I also have to say, I kind of feel that some of the mane six got really left out; AJ felt non-existent in the book, and, while fluttershy got a couple spots, she felt kind of left out too.

No world building either :(

• Brohoof 2

I'll agree there. The shadowbolts seemed WILDLY out of character in the book; Sour sweet lacked her normal tic of acting nice and then being a total bitch, and sugar coat's bluntness only was shown in a couple situations (and only if you read between the lines). Plus, Sunny flair being the alpha of the group with Sour sweet being completely subversient seemed WILDLY out of character for how sour acted in the movie.

Past that... it was okay, since I understand its aimed at a MUCH younger audience (Ironically, despite EQG supposedly being aimed at older kids than FIM, the FIM chapter books were more dense than this XD), and can't expect game of thrones here :P

The characters were decently silly and there was a few jokes in it that were decent (I liked Dash's constant "Don't eat the strawberries" bit after she got chewed out, as I can see dash over obsessing over something like that as if its a huge deal if she got yelled at), and I also found the bit about the rock climbing and holding your partner's rope contrasting with the shadowbolts always being together but never helping each other good.

Overall it was pretty bland, and not really something I'd reccomend to older fans, but good for the younger tots I guess.

sadly, this was a huge step down from the last two books; the first rainbow rocks book and the Sunset time to shine book were both MUCH better and interesting stories than this, and I found a decent read. I also have to say, I kind of feel that some of the mane six got really left out; AJ felt non-existent in the book, and, while fluttershy got a couple spots, she felt kind of left out too.

No world building either :(

There is nothing to say that Sour Sweet and Sunny Flare don't have that kind of relationship. Sadly Sunny didn't get much focus in Friendship Games, and her being the bitchy, stuck-up, bossy self proclaimed "leader" might have made her more interesting, especially since she is supposed to be Rarity's counterpart.

Another thing about the book though: alright, so you had someone turn into a demon and start destroying the world, with her most probably having at least SOME of that magic still afterwards.

A. Do you: Try not to antagonize her

Or

B. Do you constantly mock and ridicule her for turning into a demon and antagonize her about it?

if you Answered "B" CONGRATULATIONS! You are officially in the running for a Darwin award And/or Sunny flair.
SERIOUSLY. DO NOT BULLY THE GIRL WHO TURNED INTO A DEMON ABOUT TURNING INTO A DEMON. Its like if they made a sequel to carrie and Everyone decided to insult her about killing everyone at the prom.

• Brohoof 1

Hey @@Unlikeable Pony, just letting ya know the title was edited to better reflect the topic, and added a spoiler tag since it's discussing a recent release. :)

I haven't read it myself yet, but I do like Twilight's new look. That ponytail. :derp:

(edited)

It was cute and comfy, but there was very little substance. This coupled with the characters lacking charm and thus coming off as bland causes the story to quickly become a bore to read. Also, they act like elementary schoolers rather than high schoolers.

There's a good story there, but it is clear the story wasn't thought out all too well, so the middle of the story is made up of mostly vignettes without any sort of real goal or conflict following them (Twilight and Fluttershy give Spike a bath, the girls watch a basketball game) and is essentially filler. Since most of the characters act pretty bland, this winds up coming off as boring rather than adorable.

Edited by Slashy
  • Brohoof 2

It was cute and comfy, but there was very little substance. This coupled with the characters lacking charm and thus coming off as bland causes the story to quickly become a bore to read. Also, they act like elementary schoolers rather than high schoolers.

well, its one of the things about stuff aimed AT elementary schoolers: High schoolers always act like overgrown elementary kids in order to appeal more to the elementary kids watching :P