Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

1.9 Server Announcement

DoragonKeiyou

I would just like to have a straight answer as to when the server is going to be updated.  Also, when is 1.11 going to be implemented?  I'm tired of hearing "the server is going to be updated soon".  I would like to have as close as to a straight answer as possible.

You say that now, but the bugs we are dealing with are not minor. Just yesterday we finally fixed an issue where the server would flat out crash when certain staff joined. I don't think that's very minor.

Alright, we just had no way of knowing until you told us. I think we'd really just appreciate a little more communication while we're waiting, like letting us know what kinds of bugs you've fixed, stuff like that. Not trying to be rude at all but not saying anything did make it seem to feel like you guys forgot about the server, even though we knew you probably didn't. Not trying to tell you how to do your job, just a little constructive feedback. :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 2

I would just like to have a straight answer as to when the server is going to be updated.  Also, when is 1.11 going to be implemented?  I'm tired of hearing "the server is going to be updated soon".  I would like to have as close as to a straight answer as possible.

We don't have a concrete date and we can't give one, because whenever we've done that before it has fallen through due to unforseen circumstances. I will tell you this, however: We're currently testing the final stages, and a couple more bugs (really features that were forgotten to be implemented) need to be fixed before the update can happen. If I had to give a vague timespan for just that, I'd say "a few days", but things always get in the way.

As for 1.11? I'll probably just drop it in one night after the 1.10 upgrade is successful - we already allow any client version from 1.8 to 1.10 join most of our servers, so I'll just bump that up to 1.11 and nobody will be inconvenienced.

• Brohoof 1

We don't have a concrete date and we can't give one, because whenever we've done that before it has fallen through due to unforseen circumstances. I will tell you this, however: We're currently testing the final stages, and a couple more bugs (really features that were forgotten to be implemented) need to be fixed before the update can happen. If I had to give a vague timespan for just that, I'd say "a few days", but things always get in the way.

As for 1.11? I'll probably just drop it in one night after the 1.10 upgrade is successful - we already allow any client version from 1.8 to 1.10 join most of our servers, so I'll just bump that up to 1.11 and nobody will be inconvenienced.

Thank you for that update.  Really that's all I, and apparently I wasn't the only one, wanted to know.  Where things are at.  I don't care about a specific time.  Would it be nice if things happened that way?  Yes.  But I understand that things happen that are unexpected.  Just please stop leaving everyone in the dark and wondering what's going on.  

• Brohoof 2

I personally just join serv to see if it's up, seeing how what I do right now won't have that much of an impact anyway.

The reason behind people's frustration is that this was announced far too early without proper evaluation of resources that can be spared for work on implementation. Of course, I do realize the number of things that can go wrong while working with software upgrades is just... horrendous.

Still, if things are being delayed time after time, when there are some vague dates on when stuff should be up and running presented, if you give no explanation as for why this is delayed people might start reacting this way.

But from the other side, I know far too well that updating some random game serv is not a priority for majority of people in their lives, and that is perfectly understandable and should also be underlined. It's not like you come from work/college/school/whatever and first thing you do is turn on your PC and instantly start working on serv. Everyone should keep that thought at the back of their minds and bring it forth once they start getting impatient. Nobody is being paid for running and upgrading that serv for our amusement. They do not have to do this, but they are doing this nevertheless. Remember that.

But informing people on what is being done, and what has been done or what might be the cause of delays is just as vital, as it does not really cause damage to the project itself while it keeps the community at ease.

• Brohoof 1

I personally just join serv to see if it's up, seeing how what I do right now won't have that much of an impact anyway.

The reason behind people's frustration is that this was announced far too early without proper evaluation of resources that can be spared for work on implementation. Of course, I do realize the number of things that can go wrong while working with software upgrades is just... horrendous.

Still, if things are being delayed time after time, when there are some vague dates on when stuff should be up and running presented, if you give no explanation as for why this is delayed people might start reacting this way.

But from the other side, I know far too well that updating some random game serv is not a priority for majority of people in their lives, and that is perfectly understandable and should also be underlined. It's not like you come from work/college/school/whatever and first thing you do is turn on your PC and instantly start working on serv. Everyone should keep that thought at the back of their minds and bring it forth once they start getting impatient. Nobody is being paid for running and upgrading that serv for our amusement. They do not have to do this, but they are doing this nevertheless. Remember that.

But informing people on what is being done, and what has been done or what might be the cause of delays is just as vital, as it does not really cause damage to the project itself while it keeps the community at ease.

Trust me I'm definitely aware we jumped the gun on announcing early :P

A lot of unforseen stuff popped up and we'll be sure to announce when we're actually good and ready next time. Is our mistake I'll admit, and we'll definitely scree over on twitter and the forums to notify you when we're fully ready

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have several important updates for everyone :)

The update is in the final stages of testing, it should be ready very soon - my personal goal is to get it out today, but officially it should be less than a week.

The update will be an update to 1.11, and allow anybody with clients from 1.8 to 1.11 to join.

• Brohoof 2