Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Do you have something that you consider a gift, but also a curse

Dynamo Pad

2 hours ago, Partialgeek514 said:

I seem to have a great gift for being a good friend. :fluttershy: Every girl I ever meet tells me I'm a good friend. :awwthanks:

That's like getting kissed by your sister. :laugh:

My huge work ethic. It helps me get stuff done in some cases but I tend to overwork myself a lot. It doesn’t help when everyone I have to work with (if I’m not doing a project for myself at home) isn’t lazy and uncooperative. That doesn’t always happen but it has happened a lot.

• Brohoof 2

1 looking too young for my age 

2, trusting people near immediately. It’ll get you hurt most and you end up forgiving people who don’t deserve it!

• Brohoof 1

Being artistic can go both ways. I love art and it's fun creating artwork, but I always feel like I HAVE to do it, even when I'm not in the mood. It doesn't sound very rational when I write it out like this, but I never claimed to be rational (you know how crazy artists can be!) 

• Brohoof 2

• Looking younger than my age
  • Being an artist but t I have so much ideas, that I don't have the time for it.
  • Too honest or brash for my own good
  • My mindset, I'm no genius but smart enough to get around academically and outside of it.  But I'm a bit skewed/air-headed.
  • Being introverted. Thinker is useful and the world needs more of them. But in fast paced situation, I'm at the end of my wits because I tend to overthink things. 
  • yes just life in general. 

(edited)

I feel like people should feel happy with looking younger then your actual age in a sense though I feel the same way. One time I was hauling a trailer weighing probably more then two tons and this boi suddenly comes up to me and asks you don't have a license to be hauling that cargo you're just a boi I looked and was like boi? I'm twentyfour years old or whatever age it was. You think this is my first time hauling, mind your own business boi. 

Though no I much rather prefer looking youthful rather then not as like if you take good care of yourself then you'll look good you know.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94

Siblings or family in general :P.

I think my writing skills. I have what my family says good writing skills (as in fictional news article writing (I write news centered on an imaginary world based on thing happening within my house and share it with my family)). It is a really nice gift to have but problem is, when I started to write years ago, I never saw it as a serious thing, doing it just because I can (plus my writing was horrible), but for the past few years, it started becoming like a job. I need to keep on doing it due to my family just indirectly demanding it. So yeah. I grew to dislike doing it and my talent and jounalism. I still believe that it is a gift though.

• 4 weeks later...

Being too conscientious about everything. Makes me take my job seriously but can make me feel like I’m leaving too much for fate else I may do something wrong.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 years later...

My hard work ethic. It makes every job I get stable for me, but it also means that I can be taken advantage of and treated very differently from the others. As was evidenced most in my overnight grocery stocking job where it was noticed and got me shouldering more work than many others (there were others who were expected to work, as well... The other ones with hard work ethic) and if I called in sick, with a doctor's note, I got a slap on the wrist, while other people could call in all of the time with no doctor's note. Ugh.

The second trait I don't have a "term" for, only a concept I can spell out. It has to do with not reading/being impacted by emotions so easily. Now, don't get me wrong, that's not to say I am completely void of that ability, nor am I a cold, unemotional person. I am quite emotional and can be impacted by others feelings. The thing is... when it gets more abstract, I can't. Like take, emotion through music. No, I'm not talking about a song meaning to elicit a certain emotional response via use of minor modality, but instead the more abstract idea of someone putting emotion out through their music. I can not detect that at all. Not even one bit. Yet I've heard so much about it. I also can be a bit socially off and it's taken me forever to be able to read other people, and I'm still lackluster at it.

Those are big downsides I've found.  But what could make such a thing a gift? I think it played a large role into why I couldn't get attached to religion, deities, and anything of that sort. The emotional manipulation that goes on in churches wasn't effective on me. Everyone else in church could supposedly feel these things, which they attributed to a deity, but not me. No matter how much I tried. I saw this is a downside back then because I was indoctrinated and was horrified at the thought of not experiencing the God I was told to believe in. But now I see it is as a good thing, a very good thing. The things that get people really emotional in churches just don't work on me. Thus, I never got attached to church like everyone else. I see how much I differ from so many other exChristians who struggle so much with the loss of church, community and those feelings. I never had them, so I didn't lose anything in my deconversion, in fact instead I found more peace with myself and relief that I don't have to spend hours in such a boring place that could be spent on doing things that I love or working instead.

• Brohoof 2

I'd say my interests.

I was great in the band, being lead trombonist for almost 3 years (I was 2nd my sophomore year), so that was something I was pretty proud of. Being a band kid that meant I was still at the top of the class despite the extra commitment (because we're based lol). I unfortunately could not repeat that success in college and arguably me wanting to do several ensembles (I did 3 at one point plus weekly lessons with an instructor!!) did likely hurt my level of in-depth study with my courses. Just a theory, as an appreciable number courses I just could not get.... and had to drag myself to the finish line to pass. A lot of Bs and Cs. One D, so I had to retake it.

It was a tough degree, no doubt (engineering), and I still graduated from it, but I wonder if my heart would have been in engineering if I didn't have music in my life. I don't know. It wasn't easy and that killed my self-concept even when I did give it my all. I don't feel I could legitimately blame it on the music.

The second one is aviation. Fun hobby and I enjoy the sport, but demanding as a career. You're SOL and in a ton of debt if you aren't experienced, and will be a huge burden on your finances until you finish, if you ever finish (I haven't). If any career is more representative of "can't get experience because I have no experience", it's this one.

I wish I just wanted to be a civil engineer. I could pretty much get hired in that kind of engineering anywhere. Not my particular one...

Edited by DubWolf
  • Brohoof 2

I feel like maybe I have too much empathy and compassion? Which makes it a lot easier for me to understand other's emotions and form a true, genuine connection with them. That's good.

It also makes it so I sometimes feel genuine sympathy and sadness for inanimate objects. That's bad.

I feel as though I also bond very quickly with animals because of this. Even with ones that I only see online. That's... good?

I'll feel depressed when I can't take in every stray animal I see or shelter animal I come across. I've also broken down into tears because an online animal that I got attached to passes away. Or if I see an animal with a disability that makes me feel sad for it. Or if there's a video of an animal that came from a sad background... You get the idea. That's bad.

Edited by Iforgotmybrain
a
  • Brohoof 3