Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Internet Friends or Real Friends?

Jon the VGNerd

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to point out, if anyone is still paying attention, this is how befriending in real life works before and after.

Before:

Person #1: "Hey, dude! You have some sweet stuff that I like as well! Wanna be friends?"

Person #2: "Sure thing, bro! You don't look too bad either!"

After:

Person #1: "Hey, dude! You have some sweet stuff that I like as well! Wanna be friends?"

Person #2: "Keep away from me, you creep, or I'll beat you up where you stand!"

I don't choose between the two. A friend is a friend whether I know them online or offline.

Friendship, just like life itself is made up of what you put into it and not what you expect to get out of it. Everyone has to live their own life, and not every friendship is forever.... it twists and turns and often doubles back upon itself, before finally breaking apart at times for whatever reason fair or foul.

For those who truly want it though, there are those wiling to give it. All you have to do is be willing to try.

• Brohoof 1

im so awkard and weird (im not a teen cliché- im not even a teen xD) so i vote for internet friends. also this way i dont need to see them lmao i guet super uncomfortable and i dont know what to say.

im a lone wolf. enjoying being alone

Internet friends are "real" friends.

My BEST friend is an internet friend. We've known each other for 8 years.

And I'm flying cross-country in a couple months to hang out with her.

Same with mine. Ever since graduating high school, I've been completely disconnected from my real friends who either moved to the states or started their own family, which seriously negates the purpose of making friends nowadays. Internet friends is where it keeps me from being too antisocial.

Edited by Jon the Bronynerd

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently, one of my RL friends took a rather suggestive turn and asked me if I was gay. Never have I felt this offended in my life and removed and blocked him from Facebook as a result. I do NOT want my RL friends who change the way they normally are in a bad way. Now you guys know why I prefer Internet Friends over RL friends...

Considering my antisocial behavior and complete awkwardness in social situations (which are two of the numerous considerations that make me believe I really need to get a professional opinion concerning whether I have autism or not), I have few real "friends" per say. Most of them are really mere acquaintances. The only reason I have some is because some people see me from the inside instead of the outside. Which is greatly appreciated <3 (Nonetheless, they've still made fun of me for being myself, mostly in ways which aren't too bad.)

Online friends? I have some, but few of them, as well, are really "friends." Part of that is because even here I'm somewhat anti-social (though I've posted so many times on some threads it rivals the amount of times I've beaten the Sinnoh elite four... (What? I played a lot of it and got a good few imported Pokémon...)) and I've also been a little bit spurty with my posting. Part of that is because of YouTube, and part of that is because of Paladins, and a small part of that is because I'm doing something productive. Though I have two exes from this site. One I haven't talked to lately, and the other I'd say is a friend at this point in time, even if I haven't seen him in over a month on here.

In general both are good. Online friends are easier to make (especially someone of my lack of Charisma investment) than real ones, though real ones are often more impactful with a better bond.

Edited by Nerdy Luigi

My internet friends are my real friends (and vice versa). Exception of course for "friends", like Facebook "friends", or people in a "buddy" list. Their status as my friend is not dependent on their location, our method of communication, nor their continuous status in some piece of software. Likewise, loose associates with this title aren't automatically my friend.

Edited by Regent

I don't consider friends I make on the internet to be "REAL" friends in any way. They are really more like fair-weather acquintances, as far as I am concerned.

I like talking to many people online; forums, imageboards, MMOs, etc. Socialization can be fun on the internet since there is significantly more freedom as to what you can and cannot say. Some people like the way I express myself, others hate me to the very core of their being offering death threats, etc. I don't consider any of this to be "real" persay; its just bored people trying to entertain themselves :o

I have both, but at this point most of the people I hangout with on the Internet are truly genuine friends, and most I know over Xbox i've actually met in person and hung out with, save for a few who i'm gonna have to either road-trip or fly to at some point. Same goes with folks here. 

Outside friend is hard to keep, but internet friend is harder to keep... well in my opinion. College friends to me is just study buddies for a semester. Internet friend... well, you just never know when they'd stop talking to you all the sudden. So i try not to have attachment and.. I couldn't care less.

Edited by TBD

On 3/27/2017 at 2:09 PM, zerox said:

I generally suck with real friends so I have way more internet friends than real ones. oh well

I feel ya. I can't imagine if I have to go to work and my employer mandates me to befriend someone who's a smoker, alcoholic, criminal, or even takes advantage of me.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

i do have one real good real life friend, a childhood friend, who can't be replaced by anyone (because i mean it, crazy enough people are hard to come by).
but i do kinda prefer internet friends, since it's easier to find friends on the internet who shares your interests.
but a real friend doesn't necessarily need to have the excact same views as you, it's enough that they accept that you love something they don't even wanna bother with (like me with my love for MLP).
being introvert as i am, it's rather easy to enjoy my own company when it comes to certain interests, and also pretty easy to enjoy something with real life humans (well...it's still a real human behind that text on the internet).

3 minutes ago, Olsen1987 said:

(well...it's still a real human behind that text on the internet)

That is questionable at times. I mean you never know what is on the other end of the computer link. I once had a riveting month long conversation with a user I later discovered was a watermelon. Needless to say i was a bit surprised.

Hell of a debater that watermelon though.

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, GrimGrimoire said:

That is questionable at times. I mean you never know what is on the other end of the computer link. I once had a riveting month long conversation with a user I later discovered was a watermelon. Needless to say i was a bit surprised.

Hell of a debater that watermelon though.

oh yes, stupid watermelons.
should have been a airmelon, or even better, a firemelon.
heck, all the elemelons except water.

• 10 months later...