Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Battlefield 1: First Battlefield game to take place in World War 1

heavens-champion

For those who are not in the know, there's a new Battlefield game coming out this year. And it's set during World War 1. Personally, I've never played Battlefield, but I'd say it's refreshing that we have a first-person shooter that takes place in the Great War instead of World War 2.

Not just the first BF game set in WWI, but one of the first major AAA titles too. Devs have always been afraid of having a WWI backdrop and thus it's really rare to see games in general use it as a setting, only other game I remember using WWI was Valiant Hearts, which is more or less an indie title by a major publisher. Hopefully BF1 does well enough for publishers to give it a chance

The thing about WWI is that the actual history and scope is so under appreciated that it's easy to dismiss it's use in entertainment form due to the "trench warfare" stigma. Granted trench warfare was a common thing, but largely on the western front IIRC. When you account for the other fronts and the other major players in the war (Austria-Hungary, Ottoman Empire, Russia, and others) it really just opens up the possibilities for variety in gameplay and other things.

I'm excited, but cautious. I typically avoided military shooters like CoD and Battlefield as a variety of factors never really appealed to me, but the brave decision to go with WWI is one that is grabbing my attention.