Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would the franchise have worked better if different?

ManaMinori

More along the lines of "Alicorn through the Magic Mirror"/ Alice through the looking glass (incorporating "The Fall of Sunset Shimmer"'s backstory, that provided not only more fantasy, but a a completely new cast of characters who weren't clones of original mlp ponies, and were allowed development that didn't mirror the mirror doppelganger's development?

I think it would've been more interesting to watch if it was a completely new world rather than a mirror one, though it probably wouldn't sell as well. :P Another setting that could be interesting is an AU world, while similar to the mirror world concept it'd still allow for more creative freedom, kinda like the alternate timelines in the S5 finale.

I'm along the lines of that it's fine the way it is. The movies are a lot of fun, and the dolls are fun to play with...

...yes. I have a kid you know! geeze.

Seriously, I think if it was new characters with only Twilight as the link, it wouldn't have gone over well. It's fun to see our pony pals as human beings. Plus I think the designs are wonderful. 

• Brohoof 1

I am fine with the movies just the way that they are.

But if it was Twilight and entirely new cast of remane 5 characters, I don't think it would have worked better.

Not enough time would have been given to flesh out their entirely new personalities, or too much time would be given out to that and leave other parts of the first EQG film even more rushed.

• Brohoof 1

Personally I would've preferred it if it stayed separate from the show and just work as an alternate universe as opposed to being connected to FiM. At the very least it looks like they'll finally be break away now that it looks like Pony Twilight

I dunno, I feel like it could have worked with a different cast with Twilight. Just look at the Shadowbolts for example. New characters, all unique personalities and designs who were really fun to watch. They maybe could have pulled it off. But at the end of the day, I think it's better the way it is now. Familiar characters, but different world, so they're not straying too far. And I like the fact the worlds are linked.