Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Other creatures from Greek Mythology?

heavens-champion

*Mesme goes into shilling mode*

Well, Lamias are out of Greek Mythology. So why not put them into the series? :P

Well, Lamias are out of Greek Mythology.

Heh, I was just about to type "oh, like a Medusa, what are those called?" 

Medusa was a gorgon, actually.

That's it! Wow...a gorgon then.

Or a harpy. A harpy would be a nice addition to the show!

I wouldn't mind some reanimated skeletons while they're at it.  

Typhon, Typhon is the father of monsters with a significant portion of Greek mythological monsters being the direct offspring of him and his mate Echidna. He is so dangerous that even the gods are terrified of him, though he wasn't successful he came the closest of anyone to dethroning Zeus.

1131351-prv4440_pg3.jpg

• 1 month later...

What other creatures from Greek mythology should appear in the show?

For me, it's probably Satyrs, Scylla, Charybdis, and Cyclopes.

The Cyclops is already in the show. Arimaspi was his given name. 

In all honestly, rather than Greek monsters, i'd like to see creatures from Asian and American myths, and maybe even cryptids. But it's kinda unlikely, after all, Classic mythology is usually the one mainstream public is most familiarized with. (Imagine, a young girl would go all wtf is that thing? if she ever saw a Kappa in the show.). That, and the fact the show writers prefer to create their own original monsters for the bestiary, often pun-based. Then again, Ahuizotl, who originally hails from Aztec mythology is part of the show, so his presence gives me some hope.

I do no think any part human creature should be part of the universe. It would be confusing and weird. Though I think that that pony version of the part human characters would work.

What about Cerberus, the 3 headed dog that guards the gates to the underworld

That is already in the show. Remember?

It'd be funny to introduce a couple alicorns that life in and watch over Tartarus called Haydes and ponysephone.

I do no think any part human creature should be part of the universe. It would be confusing and weird. Though I think that that pony version of the part human characters would work.

Cerberus's brother too. They're actually pretty good about stuff like that.

Tch, Typhon and Hecatoncheires are already taken. So I’ll go with Furies aka Erinyes. It’s about time Tartarus gets some proper agents that would drag all those petty unicorns into the abyss for crimes against the grand design. We can even throw in a proper rehabilitation program lest Bronies get triggered by the un-poniness of such worrisome approach. #PoniesDinduNuffin

And for good measure, let’s also mention the concept of Hecate. She is the goddess of dark arts and witchcraft, as well as the mistress of Empusae and Lamiae, and an avid stygian dog walker.  Some describe her as a terrifying specter with a head of a horse, a dog, and a lion, yet she could pass as a bearer of at least three EoH. If there was ever a nightmare that could serve as a neutral authority on all things magic, it’s this gal. Someone has to teach them namby-pamby princesses how not to 322 every fight.

I don't exactly remember seeing it in the show. But if it is, what about the Hydra?

AHA! So that means it might end up getting introduced?

Yes, I agree with this notion. It would be a good idea. Even though it isn't Greek, I think the Sphinx would fit okay with the show.

Just to clear some misconceptions.

Griffins (hounds of Zeus) and sphinxes were adopted into the Greek mythology while manticores came into the medieval bestiary through Greek writings about the natural world.

Hydra, Chimaera, Cerberus, Orthrus, Ladon, Caucasian Eagle, Nemean Lion, Sphinx, and various other monsters are thought to be offspring of Typhon and Echidna. What can I say; these two lovemonsters were very procreative. Of course, most fantasies these days understand such creatures as groups of more than just one individual.

P.S: I’d like to see sphinxes, but only if they were altered to not just be big winged cats with a nemes on their heads. That’s boring as heck.

Yes, I agree with this notion. It would be a good idea. Even though it isn't Greek, I think the Sphinx would fit okay with the show.

well YEE-HAW!!! I wonder if and how they'll introduce it in the show.