Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Pokemon gyms too boring?

ManaMinori

Am I the only one who really wnt to see gyms that ae stationed under water, underground, or in the air? Perhaps that you could only reach using dive, dig, fly, or soar?

Are gyms on land too predictable ad boring?

It's not so much the settings of the gyms that bother me. It's the fact that gym battles and elite four battles are no longer challenging in recent core games. However, that's not to say that I wouldn't mind seeing or exploring new places for gym battles. I do indeed think that would be an interesting addition.

It's not so much the settings of the gyms that bother me. It's the fact that gym battles and elite four battles are no longer challenging in recent core games. However, that's not to say that I wouldn't mind seeing or exploring new places for gym battles. I do indeed think that would be an interesting addition.

I'd also love for gys (all trainers, really) to have mandatory double battles, like Orre region.

More of a challenge, I think

• Brohoof 1

The best gym battles were the hardest battles aka FireRed/LeafGreen. Even Hoenn battles were difficult too aka the Twins and Wallace/Steven for champions. Also norman..... his slacking was absurd. Sinnoh was probably my favorite for gym battles, as they were both challenging enough to not make it easy, but fun enough to make me replay the entire game. After that, besides Ghetsis and N in Pokemon Black and White/2 all other gym battles were boring.... thats probably why I stick to playing the hacked versions of games. Probably my favorite so far has to be Pokemon Reborn. Its a very hard but fun game with a godly soundtrack ><

The best gym battles were the hardest battles aka FireRed/LeafGreen. Even Hoenn battles were difficult too aka the Twins and Wallace/Steven for champions. Also norman..... his slacking was absurd. Sinnoh was probably my favorite for gym battles, as they were both challenging enough to not make it easy, but fun enough to make me replay the entire game. After that, besides Ghetsis and N in Pokemon Black and White/2 all other gym battles were boring.... thats probably why I stick to playing the hacked versions of games. Probably my favorite so far has to be Pokemon Reborn. Its a very hard but fun game with a godly soundtrack ><

Whitney's bucking Miltank....

A perfect example of this to me is Lt. Surge. A guy who literally threatens to paralyze you, but ends up being weaker than Misty in pretty much every regard. Misty was pretty brutal for an early fight, if you picked Charmander or Squirtle that is, but Surge is a cakewalk since you have to plow through the S.S. Anne before you fight him. Makes his whole gym incredibly unexciting and definitely one of the most boring fights in Pokemon in my opinion.

Whitney's bucking Miltank....

The nightmare's that Miltank gave me...UGH. D:

Most of the Pokemon Gym Leaders put on quite a challenge, but as the years progressed, not only did some of the gym leaders became softer and easier to defeat, but also the Elite Four and Champion didn't seem worth celebrating when defeating them.

However, the scenery of each Pokemon Gym became more appealing and had a puzzle-like arena before finally reaching the gym leaders.

Honestly, going back and replaying Gens 1 and 2, even then the gyms were only slightly harder than they are now, Back then, it had more to do with actually using good Pokemon than just leveling up the ones you found on the first Route. 

Like for example, In Gen 6, you can go through pretty much the whole game with Pokemon you found on the first three or four routes, just outside the first town, the forest, and Santalune city. That's more because the Pokemon are just better overall, and maybe because the gym typings are changed. 

It used to be the first gym was rock like in gens, 1, 3, and 4 (? Didn't play generation four all that much.). Which meant you didn't have a team that could hit the Pokemon effectively, if you picked the fire starter. There were always Pokemon you could catch to hurt them, yes, like Mankey/Nidoran in Gen 1/ their remakes (Nidoran learns Double Kick). 

If anything, yes, the games have gotten a little easier over the years, but that's more because of power creep and how they placed the gyms in my opinion. Like in Gen 6, the 2nd gym is rock, but you find type advantages against it rather quickly. (Pancham, Machop, Onix, Cubone, and Skiddo off the top of my head, not to mention the two Kanto starters that have an advantage).Whereas, if the Rock gym was first, you would have to rely on Pansage, if you picked Fennekin and NOBODY wants to rely on Pansage. 

If you had to change your Pokemon out more often as well, then the game would be more challenging. Like in gen 2, you really couldn't beat the game with what you could catch early on. Same with 1, unless you over leveled them. 

A perfect example of this to me is Lt. Surge. A guy who literally threatens to paralyze you, but ends up being weaker than Misty in pretty much every regard. Misty was pretty brutal for an early fight, if you picked Charmander or Squirtle that is, but Surge is a cakewalk since you have to plow through the S.S. Anne before you fight him. Makes his whole gym incredibly unexciting and definitely one of the most boring fights in Pokemon in my opinion.

The nightmare's that Miltank gave me...UGH. D:

That and all you had to do was go to the Diglett cave and catch a Diglett or Dugtrio, teach it Dig, and laugh as Lt. Surge cries. 

Also, you could get a Machop from a dude in the Goldenrod Department Store for a Drowzee that you could catch just outside the town, makes making Whitney cry even more sweet. 

I am perfectly fine with the way that pokemon gyms currently operate.

However I would like it if they were a bit more difficult compared to the likes found in XY.

Plus why haven't we got a dark type gym leader yet?