Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Do you buy your music?

Varrack

• 2 months later...

If it isn't pony music regularly available for free (I despise ripping MP3s from YouTube due to sometimes multiple instances of heavy lossy compression) or concert bootlegs with no chance of ever being released commercially, I buy everything. In fact, I buy all my non-pony music on CD and rip it to FLAC which are then tagged properly.

I don't use streaming services other than Internet radio stations. I don't care whether they're good for discovering new music because almost everything I ever listen to is several decades old, and there aren't so many major releases from, for example, 1983 or 1977 that I don't know yet but might find interesting.

I usually buy my music. I do occasionally download random songs on iTunes, Bandcamp, or Google Play, but I still enjoy buying CDs when I want to purchase full albums. Yes, I know I'm the minority. :P Something about physically owning an album just makes it feel more meaningful to me than downloading or streaming.

Sometimes I will come across a concert or individual live performance on YouTube that I can't purchase anywhere, so I will just rip the audio and turn it into a bootleg. Some pony artists on YouTube will leave free download links for their songs, so I take advantage of those whenever possible.

Yes, I like to support the artist whenever I can, and the only time I will not pay for music is when it is already free (though if I can spare a bit of money I'll still donate).

Proud to say I buy most of my music. Unless the production line is out, it doesn't have a physicle copy or is so rare that I can't find it anywhere on the net. Then and only then when I download it. Othewise spotify is on the list for things like original bit-music and otherwise original pieces of work

i HATE paying for music, i like to download mine.

BUT i do pay of music for lesser known underground artist to support them

EDIT: i do buy Vinyls though, but for CD's and cassette tapes thrift stores are my best friend

Edited by Honeysuckle

Hmm... Well, I hate to say it, but I've only bought three out of 700 songs. I don't exactly own any mp3 players, so I don't see a need for iTunes. I just use a sterile Youtube Downloader from Cnet or, if it's from a major record company, visit a dutch download site. They've never failed me. 

Still, I'd probably buy my music in the future. 

Nope, I just listen on Spotify. The commercials get annoying sometimes, but it's not too bad! ^^

I did used to buy from iTunes though, and still do listen to those songs when I'm on a plane or something. :)

Edited by Lady Kiriness

It depends... I don't support buying music stored only on the cloud through some kind of online service. I'm more than happy to buy music I enjoy If I can have a physical copy through a CD or at least download the files myself in a standard format like ogg, mp3 or wav. I don't have unlimited data, being able to listen to my music locally is very important to me. Plus, I don't like having my music scattered across multiple stores.

• 5 years later...

I sometimes buy CDs, records and tapes. I also download music or record from TV or radio. Some of the time I want to buy the recordings, but cannot get them, so I have to download or record from radio/TV.

• Brohoof 1

22 minutes ago, Astral Soul said:

Yes, I buy my music legally. 

Well buying it illegally would not be good :maud:

I only buy music if I really want an album, like something from the DAGames IRIS series. I’m waiting for a chance to get Apple Music cause if I buy all the albums individually that I want, I’ll go broke :BornAgainBrony:

• Brohoof 3

If you steal your music, make sure you post your action in here:

It is easier to keep track of :darling: (j/k)

I bought a CD of prototype Sonic music from Japan when I really wanted the music because it was too important. Same with DVDs of MLPT which contained music, which I bought from Australia, which was the only place to get them.

• Brohoof 1