Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Do you buy your music?

Varrack

11 hours ago, Starforce said:

Why do people buy music these days? Unless if its a physical album.

While I don't like buying files, I would consider it if I wanted to support the artist. Usually, though, if I can't get the physical version, I go look for a torrent, download from youtube etc.

• Brohoof 2

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I only buy physical album on bands or artists I really like.  I would like to support them and their musics. I do love buying K-pop albums because it's comes with booklets, photocards, etcs,  for a reasonable price. 

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, ExplosionMare said:

I get most of my music nowadays from a subscription service  

Why not just watch it for free on youtube? I don't understand why people pay for music.

• Brohoof 1

14 hours ago, Starforce said:

Why not just watch it for free on youtube? I don't understand why people pay for music.

Because I don’t like ads :nom: Also, you don’t need WiFi (most of the time) to play the music on the subscription

• Brohoof 1

It's a mix of many things.

I'm a little old school; I like to buy CDs mostly. I do try to buy music whenever possible and I do encourage others to do the same. Though I must admit, purchasing music lately has been limited to artists I really like. Might consider a Best Of compilation album rather than a select album or two.

I am not above downloading illegally, but I try to do that as a last resort. Even with many services online offering wider arrays of international music, there is still a lot of foreign music not available, especially stuff from Japan. I have bought a few albums from Japan, but because of the inflated cost CDs, shipping, and the occasional middleman fee, it's often easier to get the music some other way.

Thankfully, my urge to pirate is growing smaller and smaller by the day. Between stuff posted on YouTube and Spotify, I can pretty much find everything I want. I do have to worry about stuff getting taken down occasionally. However, it makes it so much easier to narrow down who I want to support financially. And I've found that there is no right or wrong way to do it. Both digital and physical music have their pros and cons, making them both equally valid methods. However, what I really love is when I find sellers that give you the option of both. I once bought a CD from PostModern Jukebox. Because I did this, they gave me the option to download the same album, in case I wanted a digital version. To me, this is how it should be done. And if anyone buys an entire album digitally, they should be given the offer to own it physically (even if they have to pay a small additional fee).

Edited by Samurai Equine
  • Brohoof 1

If I find something I really like on Youtube or whatever, I download it. If I could not download it, well, I have a tape deck...

However, downloading stuff from Youtube probably means I could not find the physical recording for sale. I sometimes buy pre-recorded cassettes even if I have the album downloaded.

• Brohoof 1

Video game music and other soundtracks are for free on YouTube! :fluttershy: But most of the time they don't sell them anyway. E-Coco (1).png Or only in japan.
I technically buy the soundtracks, since I bought the games and I could record them myself.

• Brohoof 2

I still don't listen to music. However, when I do, I can't adblock because of my iPad being anti-adblock, so I do pay for the music I listen to by annoying ads.

While I do have spotify premium, I prefer buying music in full rather than paying for a subscription service (streaming). 

The money is more direct to artist and label.