Did you like the episode?  

186 users have voted

1. 1. What did you think?

• I hated it; period. -_-
    • I didn't care for it.
    • It was total meh.
    • I liked it well enough.
    • THAT WAS A RIP-ROARING GOOD SHOW!! <3

I thought overall it was an average episode but the Rarijack shipper in me was very well fed, I mean christ It was basically "Rarity and Applejack go on a date but problems happen and Rarity is disappointed: The epsiode"

• Brohoof 1

That was the single most stunningly terrible episode of the series. It was literally 20 minutes of 1st act conflict set up, no 2nd act, no 3rd act, and jumped to 2 minutes of resolution. 

the pacing was really weak...

i fell like some writers think they can make you uncomfortable for most of a movie or show and then fix it with a great resolution...

but I want to like the first part the first time I watch it.

the end was good, but it doesn't fully make up for how the 1st act dragged.  

• Brohoof 3

Good moral and Rainbow Dash. Just about the only pros I have to say. Otherwise, it was one of the most boring episodes in the show

Exactly what I was thinking. The episode dragged on and on, and wasn't really interesting at any particular point. I didn't like it

• Brohoof 3

That was the single most stunningly terrible episode of the series. It was literally 20 minutes of 1st act conflict set up, no 2nd act, no 3rd act, and jumped to 2 minutes of resolution. I've actually had dreams in the past of watching a terrible episode and then complaining about it, and I can't believe I'm living it now.

1/10 for cute Dashie scenes.

There was absolutely rising action after the inciting event in the narrative! That was the entirety of the second act!

:confused:

• Brohoof 6

There was absolutely rising action after the inciting event in the narrative! That was the entirety of the second act!

:confused:

The 2nd act, if I can discern one at all, was following the pipe lol

its possible that I overvalue that part of the episode, since I've done that so many times...

• Brohoof 3

Technically, The commericals are what break the episode into 3 acts. 

This episode was like this:

Opening: Rarity waiting too long for Applejack to show up that she goes all pruney.

Theme song: They actually DO change their visuals almost every season, but that's another topic.

Act I: From Twilight, Spike and Rarity arriving at Sweet Apple Arces to Rarijack finding out that there's a line for the steam room

Act II: From Applejack wanting her steam to Rarijack returning to the farm with A.J. saying she has to finish the chores herself.

Act III: From Twilight explaining they were trying to following A.J.'s list to the letter to A.J. finally having time to spend with Rarity once her chores are more streamlined.

So Act II was more "Solving the Steam problem". Act III was revealing the reason why A.J. was so overworked in the first place and then solving it.

• Brohoof 4

Was nice to get some more insight onto the spa ponies at least though.

I seem to like the spa ponies the more we see em. Also, those accents.  :squee:

its possible that I overvalue that part of the episode, since I've done that so many times...

You might be good at surviving Jurassic Park then.  :lol:

• Brohoof 2

Technically, The commericals are what break the episode into 3 acts. 

This episode was like this:

Opening: Rarity waiting too long for Applejack to show up that she goes all pruney.

Theme song: They actually DO change their visuals almost every season, but that's another topic.

Act I: From Twilight, Spike and Rarity arriving at Sweet Apple Arces to Rarijack finding out that there's a line for the steam room

Act II: From Applejack wanting her steam to Rarijack returning to the farm with A.J. saying she has to finish the chores herself.

Act III: From Twilight explaining they were trying to following A.J.'s list to the letter to A.J. finally having time to spend with Rarity once her chores are more streamlined.

So Act II was more "Solving the Steam problem". Act III was revealing the reason why A.J. was so overworked in the first place and then solving it.

I can't believe that was allowed to pass as a story.

Alrighty, good morning everypony, and welcome to another edition of "Batbrony Reviews".  This was a pretty darn good episode we had today, though I did go so far as to vote that I loved it.  I did so because I thought that the lesson itself and the way it was delivered earned that, even if the rest of the episode was just perfectly fine and nothing amazing.  Without further ado, let's get into "Applejack's "Day" Off".

I would describe this, first and foremost, as a quintessential Applejack episode for the problem and lesson learned alone.  The problem presented was one that, out of all the Mane 6, Applejack was most likely to fall into, and the way the lesson was learned was also pretty much how AJ of all the girls would learn a lesson like that.  The problem and lesson were both quite simple.  Applejack got stuck in a lot of work routines she was used to that were adding more work than was needed, and needed to simplify how she was doing things.  Pretty straightforward.  The reason it worked real well was all in the execution.  The problem was set up very nicely in showing Applejack handle a very similar problem for the Ponyville Spa, and it was a nice touch as well that she was the one who inadvertently delivered the lesson of the episode while displaying the same problem.  That's pretty much AJ right there; she likes keeping her routines because she's comfortable running her farm in the same manner day in and day out, but she's practical and hard working enough that she'd recognize the wisdom of simplifying things.  She just thought she had simplified things as much as she could, so what she needed was the same thing the Spa Ponies needed, an outside party to tell her how she could make things more efficient and make less work for herself.

sig-4538130.1164866__safe_solo_applejack

TIME FOR A PLUMBING MONTAGE, YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

The biggest reason I really appreciated this lesson is twofold.  One, they were very, very patient in how they taught the lesson.  The episode's pacing could be a bit slow at times, but it did make for the lesson being very clear in how it came across.  Two, this is a lesson that you rarely see taught in kids shows, mostly because we all like getting into routines, and sometimes it's difficult to know when a routine is doing more harm than good.  Routines are comfortable to us because they're something we're used to, so sometimes we really need friends or family to tell us if we need to change things up in how we're doing something.  I thought the lesson was very nuanced, thoughtful, and incredibly well-executed in its delivery, and again, the mere subject matter alone is to be commended.  This would have been a simple episode no matter what, so they did about as good of a job with it as they could have.

Besides that, there's not a whole lot to cover.  It was really nice that we got to see a lot more of Sweet Apple Acres and, especially, the Ponyville Spa, and the fact that the episode was largely centered on those two settings alone meant that we got to spend a lot more time at both (especially the latter) than we normally do and got to see a lot more.  Getting to see so much of Aloe and some of the other Spa Ponies was a delight, if only because her accent was adorable, plus it was super fun seeing AJ, Rarity, and even Rainbow Dash at the spa.  I really liked the little touch that not only at some point between Season 2 and this episode it was made clear that RD not only got over her hooficure/hoof-touching phobia and started enjoying pampering herself (albeit, in secret, though that seems to have changed by the end of the episode), but also that at no point was Applejack ever once turned off by the idea of going to the spa.  The episode made it quite clear that she has routinely enjoyed spa days with Rarity, and given how long all the girls have been friends with each other, that really shouldn't be surprising at this point; after five and a half seasons, it's only natural that AJ would be far more comfortable than she used to be with tapping into her feminine side, plus it makes perfect sense that she'd be cool with the spa since it's a prime place to unwind and relax after a long, hard day's work.

sig-4538130.large.png

Spike, this Mission Impossible recreation is going terribly!  Let's take it from the top

sig-4538130.large.jpeg

Why yes, I am indeed a pretty, pretty pony, how nice of you to notice!

Like I said, the pacing was a bit slow at times, which was most noticeable since not too much in particular happened, and on top of that I was actually disappointed that we didn't actually get to see Applejack truly relaxing at the spa, just talking about it the whole time with Rarity.  That might sound weird, but I don't know, I think I feel that way because I enjoy seeing characters in situations we normally don't see them in; it was nice to hear AJ say how much she was going to enjoy the spa, sure, but it would have been nice all the same to see her actually getting to do it.  I think it's comparable to like when Batman and Jim Gordon shared a cup of coffee on New Year's Eve (apparently an annual tradition of theirs) in B:TAS, or the Christmas episode of the Justice League animated series when we got to see Hawkgirl and Green Lantern celebrating at an alien bar, Flash making sure some orphans had a Merry Christmas, and Martian Manhunter spending Christmas with Clark Kent in Smallville and coming to understand it.  The charm of these scenarios is that they give us the chance to see sides of characters we don't usually get to see, or just them doing things we don't usually get to see them do.  It's a little thing, but those little things can be some of our favorite character moments, so I would have liked if maybe they had sped up some of the episode's pacing just so they could have a bit with the end where we got to see AJ reaping the rewards of her hard work and lesson learned.

Other than that, however, I have no complaints.  It wasn't an amazing episode, but a perfectly fine one with a very, very commendable and excellently executed message, and one that fit its main character, Applejack, to a T.  Nopony felt uncharacteristically stupid, neither AJ nor Twilight and Spike, and it made perfect sense that the latter were stumped by her convoluted list of steps needed just to feed the pigs.  It had a very slice of life feel to it and felt like it would have perfectly belonged in Season 1, but it worked plenty fine as a Season 6 episode as well.  Overall, I really enjoyed this one for what it was and was trying to be, which I think it perfectly succeeded at: a quintessential, slice of life Applejack episode with a problem and lesson tailor made for her.  That's all I got for you today everypony.  Until next week, this is Batbrony signing off.  I'm off! *cue dramatic exit*

• Brohoof 7

I seem to like the spa ponies the more we see em. Also, those accents.  :squee:

yes, i'm so glad they didn't forget the middle eastern accents from the first season.  the spa ponies are my favorite background characters...

possibly another reason that I overvalue this ep

(edited)

I'd like to point out that Rainbow Dash still has her Tank slippers

1164796__safe_rainbow+dash_lyra+heartstr

Edited by Optimus Prime
  • Brohoof 2

This episode has a season 1 and season 2-like appeal to it. It's not like the newer ones, with all the Vinyl Scratch and other fan things...which people might consider bad, but like it or not, it's what drew us to the ponies in the first place. THEIR writing, not ours. Obviously.

Anyhow...this was my favorite episode of the season, even better than the last for me! Or tied...

• Brohoof 1

i feel like the spa ponies would have known to be discrete about rainbow. 

Well to be fair, she was right there in the lobby, not much they could do about that.  That and it was just a pretty standard "character contradicting what another character said to show how badly she's lying" scenario.  ^_^

Loved the part where Rarity turns into Dr Doom from Rodger Rabbit 

attachicon.gifSimillarity.png

But that's the Nazi dude from Raiders of the Lost Ark.  Though I suppose both scenes are comparable to Rarity's situation.  :please:

Caramel just talked and I'm digging his voice.

'Mel has talked at least twice before. Once was in Best Night Ever and the other was in Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000.

Okay, Newbie Dash. You see that convo Dash had with Rarity and AJ? THAT is friendly banter. Why? Because the episode explicitly points out that it's good fun. You, Newbie Dash, don't do that.

• Brohoof 3

Season 1, anyone? This felt like an honest-to-goodness Season 1 episode, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I enjoyed the simplicity of it, but it's definitely the weakest ep of Season 6 for me. That being said, I do like the insight we got into some of the characters, as well as a decent role for the spa ponies.

We learned a lot more about Applejack along with the farm, and we even got to see her irrigation system, which was pretty darn cool.

I was able to relate a bit. You ever have to go out and enjoy yourself while there's an unresolved problem eating away at you?

For example, you lost something but you have to go out rather than spend time looking for it and it's just constantly in your mind throughout the day? I could definitely relate to AJ with that problem.

To me this ep was probably a 7/10.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I tried to like this episode, I really did. But it was just so...it just dragged on and on. I just couldn't get into it. Last week's episode was so well paced and energetic without a dull moment. This on the other hand felt so slow. I appreciate what they were trying to do, it just feels it didn't entirely work out right. 

Positive things about the episode were seeing Spike, learning more about the Spa and Rainbow Dash getting "busted." 

Edited by JH24

Nerdy engineer nitpick time!

• that valve needs to be replaced.  covering it in masking tape terribly sloppy.  
  • do i remember correctly, or was the red zone on that gauge the desired area?  That seems dangerous/confusing
  • engineers love there stuff, but even we understand that we are supporting the architecture.  no one would design pipes to be so apparent and ugly in a place like a spa
  • the installer should be sued.  no wonder there are leaks with all those shoddy fittings.
  • there were lots of valves that were at the intersection of three pipes.  those exist, but the typically mix the flows from two streams into one, but on the farm, all these valves were basically just to let the flow through like a typical isolation valve 
  • any building with a huge laundry loud should consider an ozone washing system.  you save a ton of energy since you don't need to heat tons of water.
  • it seems pretty wasteful to heat towels by throwing them in the drier.  its probably better to have a towel warmer. 
  • all steam systems have condensate returns at each low point.  this is a very important safety issue, and a system longevity issue.  you don't want slugs of water slamming down your pipes.  no wonder that valve broke!
  • typical isolation valves are quarter turn ball valves, and gate valves.  the vales in this episode looked like quarter turn valves, but the wheel turned much more than that, like a gate valve, but there was no large stem typical of a gate valve
  • piping should be either elevated, or direct buried.  laying it on soft farm ground is just asking for trouble.  also, how do they work the ground without damaging the pipe?

I might do a round two after I watch it again with my sister.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Done with Act 2.

Quickie Q: Since the spa pony has noticed something was wrong with the steam, why didn't they write for a mechanic ahead of time? I understand and appreciate the moral it's now conveying, but the approach confuses me.

do i remember correctly, or was the red zone on that gauge the desired area? That seems dangerous/confusing

Only looking at it through Act 2, but I think the coloring has to do with the temperature of the steam. The deeper into the red, the hotter the temp.

Edited by Dark Qiviut