Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Call Of Duty's Influence Damaging The Shooter Genre?

1Bit

I really hate all those people, IMO, the fact that they haven't even seen everything or even PLAYED the game, is a problem. And they are basically judging a book by it's cover.

I just want to say that the mentality of "you can't judge a book by its cover" was created by people who wanted to sell crappy books. Because truthfully, people have always judged books by their covers. You would look at the front, read the blurb on the back of the cover and decide if you wanted to read it or not. The mentality of "you can't judge a book by its cover" was created so that the only way you could "judge" was after they got your cash, so at that point they don't care. Companies rely on this mentality to force products to sell. 

Not only is CoD's influence a cancer on FPSs, it's a cancer to the gaming industry as Activision pulls the same shit every year, and people bitch about them doing the exact same things they've been doing for the last few years, and then millions still eat it up.

I would not say that Call of Duty's mechanics and features are "cancer" to the fps industry. The concept works really well, it is fluent and fun. That is why the games are so popular. If anything, it should make the games following its style better. Well.. except for the lack of originality, but that would be the developers of that game's fault. When it comes to recent years, I have to say that Activision's tactics to milk the franchise with microtransactions and over-priced dlcs is quite nasty and I do wish that they stop doing that, or else other companies will do the same, just as @@Kyoshi said. I do not agree with you when you say that they do the same stuff every year. That has been a complaint about CoD for ages but it is not even true. Changes are made to both features and sometimes mechanics with each new game. If they changed it too much it would not feel the same and I doubt that people really want that. I've been playing cod since cod2 and I certainly don't.

• Brohoof 1

Bobbins's main point is that there has been a skill compression in CoD, and now everyone is trying to match CoD and make each shooter easily accessible for everyone. I think that's bull for a few reasons:

Firstly, my overall KD in BO3 is lower than my KD in MW2, MW3, and BO1, though it is higher than BO2, and I've played MW2 and BO2 the most out of any CoD. I'm fairly decent at BO3, but other people have killed me several times because they were more aware of the environment/more skillful in their play-styles. If the skill gap was as compressed as he claims, I would be a top-tier CoD player and everyone else would be too.

Secondly, if any other company is trying to match CoD in anything, it's fluidity. CoD games have always had silky-smooth framerates and easy aiming and shooting, and other shooters are trying to replicate that feel. Some shooters replicate the feel, have a steeper learning curve in how to use each weapon effectively (Battlefield 4 comes to mind). 

I just want to say that the mentality of "you can't judge a book by its cover" was created by people who wanted to sell crappy books. Because truthfully, people have always judged books by their covers. You would look at the front, read the blurb on the back of the cover and decide if you wanted to read it or not. The mentality of "you can't judge a book by its cover" was created so that the only way you could "judge" was after they got your cash, so at that point they don't care. Companies rely on this mentality to force products to sell. 

Yeah, well the COD Series, I say, is becoming even worse than the sonic fandom, not because of OCs, but because they are simply an extremely divisive fanbase, let me tell you about COD Players.

1. Screaming 12 year old trolls whose mother's let them stay up late.

2. Those who bitch on about ''Nerfing guns''.

3. Scrubs and Unwarranted-Self Importance players who think that because of how many kills they have, they deserve respect. And wish the game had different rules and frequently request nerfing.

4. Those who love the campaign, like me, who liked AW's campaign, and Black Ops 1's Campaign.

5. The ones who want ''Boots on the ground'' Combat. Who want no Exo-Jumping whatsoever.

6. The ones who want ''Innovative Gameplay''.

7. The ones who actually want the futuristic games to happen.

Really, the problem is, is that they are, pardon my french, NEVER F****NG Pleased on anything! Like the sonic fans, ever heard the old Sega Forums joke, ''The True Sonic Fan''? Well, it says of different kinds of fans, but there is no such thing as a true fan as the fanbase is too divisive, the same thing is going on to COD.

Look, when I was 15, I used to resent the series a lot because I liked Halo more, but after playing MW3 and later buying Black Ops(Which I compare to having a bacon sandwich shoved in a Vegetarian's face), and  eventually loving it due to the plot, Viktor Reznov, and the Gunship sections. Not to mention, Zombies.

These days, I love the game, but it's fanbase is turning it in on itself. I really can't wait for Infinite Warfare. I Really can't.

• 5 years later...

Possibly, but I'm not entirely sure. I do know though that popular games influence certain genres that they are a part of and that they might not be a part of. Look at Fortnite, it influenced Halo, Battlefield, Call of Duty, and more franchises to release battle royale games.