Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's with all the Russian ponies?

TheAnimatorOfficial

(edited)

Wasn't Aloe already established to have a Russia accent? Like way back in Bridle Gossip. That's not a new thing, that's just continuity.

So besides that old example, isn't the only new pony with a Russian accent the landlord for Rarity's shop?

Edited by Marimo

I detected more of a neo-Jutlandic regiolect that was trained up in Copenhagen with English than any equivalence to Russian. Likely not an intentional move on the voice actor and director, but it matches closer than most of the Balto-Slavic languages. 

Maybe a really formal West Ukrainian if that even exists. 

Yeah, Lotus doesn't say 'luxurious' like an ESL Russian. It is closer to Hungarian, Polish, Danish, or sort of Ukrainian. I think they wanted a Gabor accent and may have tweaked it. 

• Brohoof 4

It amazes me how some people hear any kind of European accent and immediately assume 'tis Russian. :lol:

To my ear at least, Eastern European accents all have a distinct similar sound, that I'm in the "is that Russian?" camp.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It's the only accent they know how to do.

Objection. I don't think it's always on point ._.

The landlord, the spa ponies. Hmm you got a point.

spa ponies do NOT have Russian accents, whoah whoah whoah lets not even

Spa ponies (to my ears) sound Swiss. 

To my ear at least, Eastern European accents all have a distinct similar sound, that I'm in the "is that Russian?" camp.

Standard Russian (ie Moscow variant) sounds normal to me. Ukrainian/South Russian sound very ...whiny. Like some New York accents. Bulgarian is heavy-voiced to me, while Belarusian is sort of trillic. I'm not sure how to say it. I feel like I should understand Polish but it sounds like someone with a rudimentary understanding of Russian speaking with the first russian-y word that pops in their head i.e. otpierpse kurwa heheh glasniek wo tamke 

On the topic, Manehatten is a replica of Manhatten with ponies, I suppose. New York has lots of Russians. I mean LOTS of them. There's even a place called Little Odessa. Which is technically Ukrainian but Ukrainians speak Russian so..  yeah, there is good reason for many Russians in those places.

As for Lotus and Aloe maybe I heard wrong, but it did not sound that familiar to me. Maybe I wasn't hearing right if everyone else can pick it up. 

Edited by ARagY
  • Brohoof 3

Oh come on, guys, Lotus sounds like Yolandi Visser :P

Seriously tho, the way she talks doesn't sound Russian at all... Dutch, perhaps? Maybe that's why I automatically associated her with Yolandi.

It is closer to Hungarian, Polish, Danish, or sort of Ukrainian.

Nah, definitely not Polish, I'm quite certain that's not what Polish accent sounds like :)

• 5 months later...

Seriously tho, the way she talks doesn't sound Russian at all... Dutch, perhaps? Maybe that's why I automatically associated her with Yolandi.

Her accent really doesn't sound Dutch to me. I've heard English with terrible Dutch accents many times in my life (comes with being Dutch) and this one sounded nothing like it. I'd go for Russian or something else Eastern European too, I think.

There are no Russians in Equestria. It is not Earth. Same as there are no Americans, Indians or Africans. There are just accents that are made to resemble cultures (and possibly stereotypes) we are familiar with here in real life.

IMO the reason you have so many European style accents in royalty, is because so many tend to be more likely to equate those accents with royalty. Just as southern drawl is equated with farmers, hillbillies or rednecks or whatever, whether or not they actually are.

I rechecked - spa ponies sound not very Russian. But Rarity's landlord has very clean Russian accent (sorry for the pun, lol) in addition to that silly striped jacket which is typically associated with Russians in US - they defenitely wished to make him Russian =)

Also The Great And Powerful One. But it would not be surprising, if her accent would be fake )

sig-4090395.the_great_and_powerful_trixi