Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Which Do You Prefer, Windows 7 or 10?

EquestriaGuy

This question is for anyone who has upgraded from Windows 7 to 10. I know many upgraded from 8, but that OS is generally considered to be terrible, and 7 godlike, so I'm wondering if 10 is worth leaving 7 behind.

I currently run 7 Home Premium 64, will my 10 also be a Home Premium 64?

7. I'm always sticking with 7 until some update appears that is worth upgrading. So far, 8 and 10 aren't. 8, well simply because its crap (or so my friends have been telling me). Microsoft itself kinda drove me away from 10 because of its constant nagging and their aggressive push to update.

• Brohoof 2

7 is god like? Since when?

Last I checked 7 got blue screens just like any other Windows version and I'm pretty sure Windows XP was considered the best version of Windows.

To answer your question: when you upgrade Windows you retain the version you previously had, so if you upgraded from 7 Professional 64 bit, you will get 10 Professional 64 bit.

7 is god like? Since when?

Last I checked 7 got blue screens just like any other Windows version and I'm pretty sure Windows XP was considered the best version of Windows.

To answer your question: when you upgrade Windows you retain the version you previously had, so if you upgraded from 7 Professional 64 bit, you will get 10 Professional 64 bit.

In 7 years of running Windows 7 I don't think I've ever gotten a single blue screen. Thanks for the info!

(edited)

7 has a pretty clean slate for me. I used it at home and work on laptops and desktops and I haven't run into any problems. My colleague has, but that was because his hard drive was a few spins away from dying.

10 isn't all that it's cracked up to be in my opinion and I kind of liked 8.1 better. The start menu is garbage, it's slow and they had to shoehorn in their dead app platform into it. A third party start menu I had for 8 and 8.1 was so much better in that it was basically a copy of the windows 7 start menu. I also lost two laptops to the upgrade process (both of which are running Linux now).

Also, the way Microsoft is pushing this upgrade on users is freaking deplorable. I swear their next step will be to make a virus to force users to upgrade who have had the audacity to disable windows update or specifically skipped their nagware update.

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm sticking with 7. But that's pretty much solely because of the fact that I plan to record and my nice and fancy microphone I spent some money on doesn't work properly with even Windows 8, there's no way it would work with Windows 10.

Sorry, that's really of no help... Just my circumstances.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

I upgraded to 10 a few days ago, and honestly, I've been enjoying it myself. It actually runs faster for me than 7 did, Cortana's a neat little feature and I do want to see what it does for gaming in the future. I mean, I will admit the upgrade is often pretty forced, but other than that, I haven't run into any problems so far.

I'm sticking with 7. But that's pretty much solely because of the fact that I plan to record and my nice and fancy microphone I spent some money on doesn't work properly with even Windows 8, there's no way it would work with Windows 10.

Sorry, that's really of no help... Just my circumstances.

Actually, surprisingly enough, Windows has done a great job at compatibility compared to Windows 8. Things that didn't work under 8 might work under 10. I already said this in a similar thread but Windows 10 is just great. A huge improvement over Windows 7. It combines the best of 7 with the best of 8. And I recommend the upgrade to everyone. Personally, I am on the Windows Insider Program and it's thanks to us and our feedback that you guys get the best :D

I'm pretty sure Windows XP was considered the best version of Windows.

XP is severely overrated in my opinion. Vista, after it got some patching early on, was significantly better. Vista's initial release is what doomed its reputation, but by the time 7 rolled around, Vista was much better than XP.

• Brohoof 1

Actually, surprisingly enough, Windows has done a great job at compatibility compared to Windows 8. Things that didn't work under 8 might work under 10. I already said this in a similar thread but Windows 10 is just great. A huge improvement over Windows 7. It combines the best of 7 with the best of 8. And I recommend the upgrade to everyone. Personally, I am on the Windows Insider Program and it's thanks to us and our feedback that you guys get the best :D

Key word: "Might".

There's no reason for me to risk an upgrade, as I already know that it doesn't work with Windows 8.

(edited)

The big problem with windows 10 is you no longer have the ability to eschew updates.  If Microsoft decides that something is good for you, you get it even if you preferred the way it was.  If they eliminate a feature you like, you can't decide "I don't like update KB70003 so I am simply going to never let it apply it."  Hence even if you enjoy the way windows 10 is now, you are not guaranteed to like it 6 months from now. Windows 10 isn't a windows version -- it is windows as it will and forever be.  Of course, we will all be there eventually whether we go now, or are dragged kicking and screaming the next time our PC dies.  It is just a matter of time.

As for upgrading from windows 7, any computer old enough to be running windows 7 is a risky candidate for upgrading to windows 10 mostly due to companies not providing drivers for the new operating system on older motherboards/bioses, etc.  Note that the people who have the most trouble are the people who try to copy it over their setup with an upgrade.  You are always MUCH better off starting from scratch and letting windows 10 install itself as a new install.  Of course since your PC is old enough to be running 7, you have to make the decision if it is worth starting from scratch on the machine.  If you are getting a new box in 2 years or less, it might be better to simply stay as you are and get 10 on the new PC. 

Edited by silvadel
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

By the way, it should be worth adding to everyone who thinks that the upgrade could break something (and thus don't want to upgrade for this reason) that Windows 10 offers the option to rollback to Windows 7, should you not like what you see or if something goes wrong.

Also, rolling back is an extremely simple, fully automated painless process :P

Edited by boiteporte

The big problem with windows 10 is you no longer have the ability to eschew updates.  If Microsoft decides that something is good for you, you get it even if you preferred the way it was.  If they eliminate a feature you like, you can't decide "I don't like update KB70003 so I am simply going to never let it apply it."  Hence even if you enjoy the way windows 10 is now, you are not guaranteed to like it 6 months from now. Windows 10 isn't a windows version -- it is windows as it will and forever be.  Of course, we will all be there eventually whether we go now, or are dragged kicking and screaming the next time our PC dies.  It is just a matter of time.

As for upgrading from windows 7, any computer old enough to be running windows 7 is a risky candidate for upgrading to windows 10 mostly due to companies not providing drivers for the new operating system on older motherboards/bioses, etc.  Note that the people who have the most trouble are the people who try to copy it over their setup with an upgrade.  You are always MUCH better off starting from scratch and letting windows 10 install itself as a new install.  Of course since your PC is old enough to be running 7, you have to make the decision if it is worth starting from scratch on the machine.  If you are getting a new box in 2 years or less, it might be better to simply stay as you are and get 10 on the new PC. 

To be fair, we could just like... Switch to OS X and then we will never be forced to used Windows 10. Just saying.

(edited)

To be fair, we could just like... Switch to OS X and then we will never be forced to used Windows 10. Just saying.

I have my OS/2 warp CDs somewhere...  Actually I really liked OS/2.

Speak of the devil -- look up Arcaos. 

Edited by silvadel

While 10 hasn't particularly done anything hugely revolutionary, I like the overall feel of it. The UI is nice and clean and it actually feels like a nice next step of WIndows 8. I know many love Windows 7 for its well executed simplicity, but I feel like 10 has a bit more to it for me.

• Brohoof 1

This question is for anyone who has upgraded from Windows 7 to 10. I know many upgraded from 8, but that OS is generally considered to be terrible, and 7 godlike, so I'm wondering if 10 is worth leaving 7 behind.

I currently run 7 Home Premium 64, will my 10 also be a Home Premium 64?

I've run windows 10 on a windows 7 laptop and actually chose windows 10 when building my own machine. Definitely go windows 10. It takes all the good from windows 7 and from 8 and from the server distros and combines them. It's fanstastic, and fast.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I've decided to go against my better judgement and upgrade to 10. If I don't survive, someone please wipe my hard drives, and you guys can fight among yourself for ALL my pony swag.

RIP Windows 7

You were such an amazing OS.

I will never forget you.

https://youtu.be/iO_xs7r6jP4

Edited by EquestriaGuy

I've been using 10 since launch, and I didn't use 7 as much as other versions, although still enough, and I'm gonna be the odd one out and say that I don't think 7 was all that great.

For one, I'm not of fan of Aero and I think it's a very distracting UI. To me it seems to yell "I'm flashy, look at me" and I never understood the popularity if Aero.

It also felt slower than 8 and 10.

10 has been a very fantastic OS in my opinion, I love the UI, it's simple, and very snappy, and the overall performance is very good, as well.

So, yeah, gonna have to say I prefer 10 miles over 7.