Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

(edited)

Bad news guys.

MLP characters swear. Well, not EXACTLY.

In "Owl's Well That Ends Well", Twilight says "shoot" when losing her descriptive paper on comets.

In "Feeling Pinkie Keen", Spike exclaims, "Holy Guacamole" at Princess Celestia's sudden appearance.

In "A Dog and Pony Show", Pinkie exclaims "Holy Moley" at all the holes the Diamond Dogs have made.

In "Call of the Cutie" and "The Cutie Map: Part 1", along with a few other episodes, Applejack says "shoot", rather casually.

In "The Last Roundup" and many other episodes, Applejack exclaims, "What the hay?"

"Shoot" is a pseudonym for "Shit". While it may not be the same word, it certainly has the same intention and meaning behind the reason to say it.

"What the hay" is a pseudonym for "What the Hell" or "What the Fuck". Again, the intention is the same through conveying a message through what is deliberately said.

Same goes for "Holy Guacamole" and "Holy Moley" being pseudonyms for "Holy Shit" or "Holy Crap".

So what do you say? Is MLP no different in dirty mouths as any other PG-13 reality TV show like Duck Dynasty or Storage Wars? I don't understand you, Hasbro. I just don't.

PlanetAnymore.png

Edited by Shabb3r
  • Brohoof 2

I wouldn't say that it's really swearing, but it's a swear like exclamation, and there's the nothing wrong with that.

The one thing that the show had done that not only made me audibly gasp, but then it made my wife audibly gasp when she heard it MONTHS later for the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1zKHajrwkE

Mmhmm.... 

• Brohoof 5

I wouldn't say that it's really swearing, but it's a swear like exclamation, and there's the nothing wrong with that.

The one thing that the show had done that not only made me audibly gasp, but then it made my wife audibly gasp when she heard it MONTHS later for the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1zKHajrwkE

Mmhmm.... 

She even flipped them off (as much as possible with hooves, anyway).

All she needs to do now is gulp down cider left and right, and she'll be the official Equestrian equivalent to Stone Cold Steve Austin.

• Brohoof 5

At first I thought this topic was going to be about asking whether or not there should be real swearing in MLP, which would be a terrible idea, so I am glad that it is not.

I don't find any of these non-swears to be any sort of offensive or edgy or whatever.

They are just child friendly substitutions for the real things that lots of kids shows have done.

• Brohoof 2

Holy Guacamole! These ponies have a mouth dirtier than me, we need to get some soap and wash them out!

Seriously though, this is ridiculous. It's like when I got in trouble in 2nd grade for saying bad words like "Crap", it's dumb. These aren't curse words, they're fine.

On another note, Twilight actually DOES swear in one of the comics. It's censored with some line like "Oh Cheeseburger" or something, but it's pretty clear she's cursing.

Or maybe she's just saying "Oh Shoot" again, naughty little pony.

• Brohoof 7

I say these phrases on a regular basis... I have two little girls at home, so yes, I use "shoot", "holy guacamole", "what the hay (heck)", and I've been really creative and even said "for Pete sake", and "aaahh horse feathers."

If they said "aaahh nuts" or I've heard them say "horse apples" would you consider that swearing too? 

This makes no sense to me. Unless the actual swear words are used then there is no reason to even think that Hasbro is putting swear words in their show. 

They might be the PG equivalent of a swear word, but unless you have a sailors mouth around children they aren't going to know any different. 

• Brohoof 2

i wouldnt call these swearing. the "swearing" the characters user werent severe ones. but if they did say "shit" "fuck" or "ass" then its the studios' responsibility to censor them since "these" are all inappropirate for children's shows

I don't exactly understand how this is "Swearing in MLP" but I'll take your word for it... I mean, it's not exactly like one of them yells "Holy shit!" or something along the lines of that. Comparing MLP to a PG-13 seems kind of ridiculous, when really, it's pretty much a show about compassionate ponies going around spreading friendship and love.

(edited)
Is MLP no different in dirty mouths as any other PG-13 reality TV show like Duck Dynasty or Storage Wars

No. Because they use kid-friendly substitutes. People are always going to have some sort of exclamation of surprise of some sort, and it's how you expressed that surprise that makes your mouth or dirty or not.

Don't be like that one episode of Recess where the whole school faculty freaked out over a made up word "Whomp" that meant nothing.

Edited by Marimo
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Bad news guys.

MLP characters swear. Well, not EXACTLY.

In "Owl's Well That Ends Well", Twilight says "shoot" when losing her descriptive paper on comets.

In "Feeling Pinkie Keen", Spike exclaims, "Holy Guacamole" at Princess Celestia's sudden appearance.

In "A Dog and Pony Show", Pinkie exclaims "Holy Moley" at all the holes the Diamond Dogs have made.

In "Call of the Cutie" and "The Cutie Map: Part 1", along with a few other episodes, Applejack says "shoot", rather casually.

In "The Last Roundup" and many other episodes, Applejack exclaims, "What the hay?"

"Shoot" is a pseudonym for "Shit". While it may not be the same word, it certainly has the same intention and meaning behind the reason to say it.

"What the hay" is a pseudonym for "What the Hell" or "What the Fuck". Again, the intention is the same through conveying a message through what is deliberately said.

Same goes for "Holy Guacamole" and "Holy Moley" being pseudonyms for "Holy Shit" or "Holy Crap".

So what do you say? Is MLP no different in dirty mouths as any other PG-13 reality TV show like Duck Dynasty or Storage Wars? I don't understand you, Hasbro. I just don't.

sig-4543528.sig-4543171.PlanetAnymore.pn

You can interpret these as swearing if you want to.

But when it comes down to it, none of these are actual swears.

"Shoot" is just a softer version of "Shit", for when someone doesn't want to/isn't allowed to swear. Most people who hear "shoot!" don't really pay much mind to it.

"What the hay" isn't automatically a replacement for "what the hell" or "what the f*ck". It's extremely likely that it's just a horse-pun replacement for "what the heck".

As for "holy moley", it's most likely a replacement for "holy crap", which unless you seriously loathe swearing, isn't a swear. "Holy crap" is a softer version of "holy shit", and "holy moley" is an even softer version of "holy crap".

Edited by Alpha Hedge
  • Brohoof 3

Judging by this one scene where Fluttershy scolds Mr Beaverton for his "language" I suspect that ponies probably also use swear words that we are probably all a tad more familiar with as well. I have read several fanfics where people say things like "for the love of Celestia" or "for Celestia's sake" which would be their equivalent of taking the lords name in vain which in some parts of the world and in times past once got people killed for doing though I doubt it carries that harsh penalty in Equestria.

• Brohoof 1

Those are exclamations, not swears.  Used in a similar context, but without the naughty connotations.

But in any universe it would be hard to imagine there not being some words that are a little more taboo than others.  I'm sure ponies do swear, but not during episodes that small human children will see.

• Brohoof 1

Apparently when Fluttershy's angry enough, she can have quite the potty mouth.

I mean really Fluttershy, "peeved"? In public and around children no less!

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

I think MLP actually do use swears, but censor it so that the  kids watching won't know. 

Like inappropriate stuff in the show. I'm pretty sure Spitfire's nickname from Newbie Dash had 'shit' in it

Edited by Fire Twii
  • Brohoof 3

She even flipped them off (as much as possible with hooves, anyway).

All she needs to do now is gulp down cider left and right, and she'll be the official Equestrian equivalent to Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Fluttershy may be the kindest pony, but she certainly seems to be the most likely to "swear" when angry.

I think MLP actually do use swears, but censor it so that the  kids watching won't know. 

Like inappropriate stuff in the show. I'm pretty sure Spitfire's nickname from Newbie Dash had 'shit' in it

I agree. Spitfire's name had 'shit' in it. Shitfire.

• Brohoof 2

MLP adds in dark elements but they censor it and/or add in a not so dark variation so that the dark element won't get detected, like maybe in the case of Spitfire's nickname...

• Brohoof 1

We can now add Peeve to the MLP FiMtionary. That was used rather bluntly, even with a filly having her ears be covered because of it. XD

I agree. Spitfire's name had 'shit' in it. Shitfire.

The story behind why this could be scares me. o_o

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I don't know why but I always wanted them to slip in something like "hell" or "pissed" in a line. In a very unnoticeable way.

Just to see how everyone will respond to it.

Edited by FlootahBaby
  • Brohoof 2