Your opinion on the episode.  

248 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• Nope, I hated it!
    • I didn't care for it.
    • The meh is strong with this one.
    • I liked it! *squee*
    • I REALLY LOVED IT!!! <3

I disagree; it just shows that sometimes it takes a long time for a person to completely change. The 'baby steps' remark is a nice call-back to the Breezies episode in that not all solutions will work 100% of the time. It takes effort and patience to make a full turn-around.

Now, I do sympathize that you didn't feel any emotional connection to Zephyr. Honestly I didn't either, but he was relatable in a sense as I have seen plenty like him in my life. The thing that really make the episode shine for me was Fluttershy, and how she really dealt with the problem. In a sense...I can relate to her in this situation.

We're likely not going to agree on this one. You're saying that because he hasn't changed in the way I stated that it's okay because we should assume he's going to because such change takes time? I'm not convinced by your reasoning since no indication was given of what you're suggesting. It all sounds like a very compromising standard bases on hopeful expectations.

• Brohoof 3

Yeah, this was another great episode.

It was a bit, frightening and odd how much I related to Zephyr. Minus the manipulation and annoyingness, I can relate to the fear of failure. And honestly, this episode made that apparent to me. I pass up a lot of opportunities and don't often take even the first step because I'm afraid it won't pay off in the end and I would have given my all for nothing.

I actually feel a bit guilty because of it now, but that's a new one. I can't recall MLP ever making me feel guilt before, but they did it in a good, eye-opening way.

And the song was awesome and definitely sealed the deal.

In addition, Fluttershy was amazing this episode! The lack of Fluttershy this season was definitely worth it! There was never a point where she was scared to speak her mind, and she was so driven and direct. I honestly think she's taken her lessons and experiences from the Breezies as well as Dash from Tanks for the Memories.

This may be the start of Fluttershy's "Rarity moment", where she'll get all sorts of development and personality and become a fan favorite, even more so than she is now!

• Brohoof 1

It's embarrassing to admit... but I am one of those... I'm no freeloader by any means, I take care of the house/garden and make dinners. But trying to find a job with my stupid HR degree with little "office" experience is very frustrating. Trying to get into anything is a full time job as it is. 

Both my kids (16 and 15 at the moment) have open invitations to stay at casa Jeric until they establish themselves for this very reason. It is not as easy these days to jump start a career unless you are in some very specific fields. 

I am 30 years old with a degree in geography and minor in history, and I am still with my parents. Not much to do cause my salary at the bank isn't conducive to living on your own. XD

• Brohoof 3

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, welcome back everypony to another edition of "Batbrony Reviews"!  We had ourselves a nice one today, very nice indeed; Fluttershy's first starring role since the start of the season, and my oh my was it a nice one indeed.  "Flutter Brutter" has the distinction of being a very commendable episode despite having an EXTRAORDINARILY annoying character in it.  Without further ado, let's begin and take a look, shall we?

sig-4547612.flutterclam_by_illumnious-da

Wanna see how assertive I can really be?

So for me, by far the best element of this episode was Fluttershy.  This is a fantastic example of how you do continuity in character development correctly.  As a firstborn son and older brother myself, I had no trouble at all, whatsoever, believing that she had a history with her brother (obviously that's not to say I have a bad relationship with my little sister, she's amazing, just saying that I totally believed that she was Zephyr Breeze's big sister from personal experience, her interactions with him felt very natural and sibling-like).    On top of that, we both learned where Fluttershy got her timid-to-a-fault nature from (and dear me, her parents did not do themselves or her any favors with those personalities of theirs) and also got to see her current, far more assertive personality juxtaposed beside her parents, who were representative of what she used to be like.  It was GREAT, and really highlighted the extent that her character has developed since Season 1 (seems like just yesterday she was afraid of her own shadow).  At no point did she take Zephyr's crap, at no point did she back down, and at no point did Fluttershy compromise who she was.  She just tried to be a good big sister and dole out some much-needed tough love to her little brother, through and through.  In earlier seasons, that might've been a Mary Sue performance, but not here, not after six seasons.  This was Fluttershy taking six seasons of lessons learned about how to be a stronger mare than she ever thought she could be and applying it to someone who she loved but also knew desperately needed to change their life.

sig-4547612.1170053__safe_solo_fluttersh

Fluttershy ain't having any of your B.S.

sig-4547612.1170052__safe_screencap_anim

Oh, I do NOT like the look of this guy!

Now as for Zephyr, I'm actually mixed, but not because he was annoying.  Oh no, don't get me wrong, he was, but that worked perfectly fine for what they were doing here.  My sole problem is that while this episode worked perfectly fine as a story about his character, I don't think that it's particularly applicable to a real-world scenario.  Now obviously there are people out there who struggle with simply trying something, people afraid of failure to the point that they never try at all, people who have trouble seeing things through.  But that said, Zephyr took it to a whole other level.  He was so insufferable, so annoying, so obnoxious, so narcissistic, so completely incompetent for 90% of the episode that he felt more like a parody of someone who could have these problems than a portrayal of them.  Again, that worked here.  I delighted in hating him, it was quite fun.  And I didn't think his turnaround was too sudden either; he seemed to be taking good baby steps at the end, and he still obviously has to find a job and a place of his own before he can say he's really independent and in control of his life.  But like I said, I don't think anyone is going to watch this episode and go, "Wow, that guy's just like me," because I don't think anyone could possibly come close in the slightest to being as annoying as he was.  So overall, he worked in the show, but that's it.

sig-4547612.large.jpeg

Not gonna lie, kinda sad this didn't happen

Besides that, this episode was very nicely paced and covered quite a few places for a slice of life episode.  We went to Cloudsdale, Ponyville, Twilight's Castle, Fluttershy's house, Carousel Boutique, and got to see a ton of faces.  Fluttershy's parents did not disappoint and it was easy to see how both of their children grew up with the personal problems that they did as a result of both parents not being very assertive themselves.  I actually really liked that the show did not beat around the bush and pretend it wasn't their fault; oftentimes parent characters are Mary Sues or Gary Stus who are just there to cheer their children on in animated TV shows, but it was quite clear that the root of both Fluttershy and Zephyr Breeze's problems was their parents not being assertive at all.  Rainbow Dash was also quite delightful as well; this is one of the first times I've ever seen where she actually felt like a wingmare to Fluttershy and she was totally supportive of her from start to finish, but not in a patronizing way.  Her running gag with Zephyr hitting on her incessantly in the most obnoxious way he possibly could (by constantly insisting that she was the one infatuated with him) was hilarious and had a gratifying conclusion when we saw that Rainbow had gotten to zap Zephyr more than a few times with lightning, and it was cool too getting to see more confirmation that she grew up as friends with Fluttershy in Cloudsdale, and also that she was as aware as anypony else was that Zephyr was an annoying twat.

Oh, and there was also a song... that kind of came out of nowhere.  It was a perfectly fine song, not amazing, but good.  It just really had no set up.  One second Rainbow Dash is talking, the next second Fluttershy's singing.  So... yeah, that happened.

sig-4547612.large.png

Dinky, that's not your mom!  Go on and find Derpy now, I'm sure she's got some muffins for you  :muffins:

Overall, this was an episode that could have been awful.  They really could have done this lesson and new character wrong, but I'm glad to say that that simply was not the case.  Fluttershy was portrayed fantastically, Zephyr was what he needed to be, it was great finally getting to see Fluttershy's family and also learn that, even though her parents were perfectly lovely, that did NOT mean that their family life was all hunky-dory and in tip top shape.  I will admit that I just want to chop that stupid looking man-bun (or is it stallion-bun?) off of Zephyr's head... and possibly his head too... but that's beside the point.  The point is, this was great, and Fluttershy had a smashing good first episode of the season.

• Brohoof 8

(edited)

At first Zephyr seemed unrelatable to me, but once we got to the forest scene in the 3rd act, it was like looking in a mirror. The Parallel Scene between Zephyr and me

So the relatability of Zephyr Breeze to me is 30% yes, 70% no. I had to wait 'till Act 3 to see how I relate to him.

Edited by WiiGuy2014
  • Brohoof 1

We're likely not going to agree on this one. You're saying that because he hasn't changed in the way I stated that it's okay because we should assume he's going to because such change takes time? I'm not convinced by your reasoning since no indication was given of what you're suggesting. It all sounds like a very compromising standard bases on hopeful expectations.

We'll just have to agree to disagree then. I largely base my own thoughts from my own experiences with others. Of course there is no guarantee that Zephyr will stay the course, but that doesn't mean he won't.

But again, agree to disagree. :)

(edited)

That scene between the Mane Pegasi and Zephyr in the forest mirrors my parents and me in real life:

(Black text are the same words and actions of both the Ponies and my real life.)

A frustrated Zephyr angrily wrecks his camp site after failing to start a simple fire/ A frustrated me angrily slams on the keyboard trying to finish a final essay for college class, but can't find the content needed.  (In fact, as this episodes airs, I actually HAVE final essays due within the next week before college is out for the summer, and honestly, I've been doing horrible this semester; the worst I've ever done since being in college these past 3-4 years. I'm likely going to get a Final F grades on the classes I've taken this semester) Also, I'm worried I won't be able to find a job this summer. I had a part time job last summer, but it was given to me as part of a summer program that I'm now too old for.

Zephyr/Me: (sighs) I can't do this. I can't do anything (buries face in hooves/hands)

Shy/my parents: ​Zephyr/William, You're smart and talented. you could do anything if you just tried.

Zephyr/Me: And what if I give everything I have and still fail? Honestly, I think it's better not to try at all. (In my case, What if I have give everything I have on these upcoming final essays and still fail the classes? I think it's better not to finish the essays at all.)

Dash/my parents: But then you won't ever do anything.

Zephyr/Me: I don't expect you two to understand. I mean when have you ever fail? You've literally helped saved Equestria a dozen times/Dad, you got a award for perfect service working for UPS for over 35 years. Debbie (My stepmom), you've graduated from college.

Shy/my parents: And I was worried that I'd fail everytime/ (Debbie shows a spreadsheet of her final grades throughout college; some of which were F's. Dad also reveals he got that award, even though he's been late for work once due to a freeway accident beyond his control) Sometimes you have to do things even though you might fail.

Zephyr/Me: But failing is the worst.

Shy/my parents: And quitting doesn't feel much better, does it?

Zephyr/Me: No.

Boy. Writing this up took so long, I can't believe it's past 10 a.m. and I still haven't finished watching the episode. I'll stop here.

Wait, this episode had a song!? I can't believe my above posting delay me hearing it!

If he hadn't been so manipulative, then he most likely would've been to a lot more viewers what he was to you.

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 3

Even if that's true, the bottom line is that the episode failed to give Zephyr a likable personality or a willingness to apply himself, and thus any attempt to get me to feel sympathetic towards him were utterly lost on me. 

When he started deliberately botching up his jobs, I knew from right there that Fluttershy was under no further obligation to do anything more for him. He had made his choice. He decided that he didn't want to work. Exactly what more did Fluttershy need to do? He was NOT her responsibility.

No, maybe not.  But she clearly loves her brother, regardless of how shiftless and infuriating he is.  When you love someone you keep at it. 

Rarity and AJ are pretty much covered (how Rarity got her first boutique is the only major question for her). It would be interesting to see how Fluttershy, Pinkie, and RD came to their jobs. Twilight ... there is a Friendship Tax!

Thank you for that. I laughed good.  :lol:

I'm half-and-half on Twilight. On one hoof, she deserved some kind of good position because the amount of work she put into her skills was insane - and still is! She'll always be our smarty lovable egghead.  :P

On the other hoof, she also got her position because she wound up politically connected to Celestia. I don't criticize her too much for it because she honestly is good enough for her position even if she didn't have any connections. Starlight poses a problem with this though. She seems to have as much magic potential as Twilight but does not have Twilight's position because...lack of friendship basically. Her apprenticeship status to Twilight has more to do with her social skills than her magical ones. You can't say Starlight hasn't refined her talents the way Twilight has given the spells she has already exhibited.  :twi:

It's blatantly stating that it's YOUR responsibility to bend over backwards and get your family members on the right track, regardless of how much it inconveniences you, or how little they appreciate you for what you're doing for them. 

I have a feeling that that has always been the type of character Fluttershy is, and some tend to find that aspect of her endearing. "No matter how big of a dick you are, I'll be there for you", can be a reassuring statement for people. Depends on what you are looking for out of a character I suppose. 

• Brohoof 1

She was always trying to get him to help himself. But what really irks me is that when she kicked him out, she had to go to him to finally get him motivated to help himself. What SHOULD have happened is that Zephyr should have gone back to Fluttershy, admitted how much of an ass he was for spitting in the face of all of her efforts to help him, and then finally said that he was ready to actually make an effort to help himself. 

You have to understand that he was already so set in his ways of trying to fool everyone that he would not have gone back until it was almost too late. The mind set that they wanted him to have is a very real and hard mind set to overcome. He already feels like a failure, and when she made him leave it only proved in his mind that Fluttershy thought so as well.

So it was good that she went to find him. And just like in "Put your Hoof Down" Rarity and Pinkie went to check on Fluttershy because they knew this wasn't Fluttershy talking, but those silly classes she took.

Anyway, back to the point,

It's blatantly stating that it's YOUR responsibility to bend over backwards and get your family members on the right track, regardless of how much it inconveniences you, or how little they appreciate you for what you're doing for them. 

It isn't her responsibility, you are saying it like she is obligated to do so. She isn't obligated, she cares for her brother and wants to see him succeed. She isn't bending over backwards, she is putting forth a bit of effort to get him going. She made a few calls to her friends that all understand and know him and want to help out. 

At the end of the song... 

Fluttershy: I knew you could do it

Zeph: I didn't, but I do now. Thank's for believing in me sis.

Fluttershy: That's what big sisters are for. 

Clearly he appreciated her help and her push to get him to finally finish something. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I enjoyed this episode. Good pacing, some of the humor/jokes were spot on, and it had a topic many of us (and that includes me as I live with my parents at the moment) are familiar or had experience with.

Dave Rapp is quickly becoming one of my favorite writers. I really enjoyed "Newbie Dash" and this one is even better for me personally. I like how each one of the mane 6 made an appearance as well. He did a great job with Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash IMHO.

Edited by JH24

I am 30 years old with a degree in geography and minor in history, and I am still with my parents. Not much to do cause my salary at the bank isn't conducive to living on your own. XD

As some have stated before, this is the normal situation in the US. Most of us are in this spot because of politico-economic factors. I suspected this episode would generate discussion on this topic because we look to see how the episodes and characters might apply to our own lives (or at least those of us that are discussing it now). But there is a disconnect between what was in the episode and modern reality. Most people these days can't live on their own not because of laziness or aversion to work but rather because, quite simply, no jobs are available in the first place or the jobs that do exist do not pay enough for one to pay their own rent. I have friends IRL that work regular jobs, put in long hours, and can't move out regardless. So there's a whole discussion right there on economics and politics that likely belongs in some other thread.  :adorkable:

I think the take-away for this episode then should be that people should do the best they can even if it doesn't mean they can move out. Be respectful of the people you stay with, share chores, and do what work you can. If you can't find work, try making it. Always do your best. Zephyr's problem was not just that he was running because of fear, but that he treated others poorly along the way. We're better off looking out for each other than just ourselves.  :twi:

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

All i have to say is:
a_little_something_by_windwhirl-da53bmx.

...Anyway, i wanted something and the episode gave me that something, so i'm satisfied if you ask me.

Althought i DO understand why some people might not have liked it.

Edited by GreenGreenWhirlWind

The second he started destroying Fathershy’s cloud collection, I would’ve loved seeing Fluttershy actually YELL at him. And I mean SCREECH at him. He deserved it!

Jesus Christ, I'm having a touch time watching this episode! He's a character I really hate!

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

Moral of the story: FEAR Fluttershy when she gets annoyed. It won't end well.

Also, fun episode. All y'all who'd been spelling doom on it are fools.

Edited by MovieLord101
  • Brohoof 5

I looked at Zephyr's cutie mark and realized that the bottom looks like the Breath symbol from Homestuck.

The top is a lock of hair.

Hair, breath.

Hair of breath.

Heir of breath.

Episode written by Dave Rapp. I'm assuming this guy is a Homestuck and he's just using a pen name, because in Homestuck... Dave raps.

• Brohoof 2

It isn't her responsibility, you are saying it like she is obligated to do so. She isn't obligated, she cares for her brother and wants to see him succeed.

She was definitely obligated. She certainly wasn't happy about the fact that he had shown up on her doorstep, and once she realized that he had no place else to go (a fact that Zephyr had actually lied about, I might add), she felt obliged to take him in. 

The thing that really makes me so frustrated with this episode is that Zephyr spends almost the entire episode being in the wrong, but he's never treated as such, as though Rapp thought that forcing a sympathy angle onto him at the last minute was really going to make everything he did throughout the episode acceptable. Furthermore, how exactly am I expected to care about what happens to him when I've been given absolutely nothing to like about him? This episode honestly could have been so much better had he actually been a likable character.  

I have a feeling that that has always been the type of character Fluttershy is, and some tend to find that aspect of her endearing. "No matter how big of a dick you are, I'll be there for you", can be a reassuring statement for people. Depends on what you are looking for out of a character I suppose. 

Perhaps so. Doesn't mean I can't still find the moral of this episode to be utterly reprehensible.

No, maybe not.  But she clearly loves her brother, regardless of how shiftless and infuriating he is.  When you love someone you keep at it. 

Again, this is exactly the same type of excuse enablers use. 

Seriously, doesn't anyone else here watch Dr. Phil? 

• Brohoof 3

So Dave Rapp's other episode, Newbie Dash, was really good in my opinion so I was expecting a lot from this episode.

That said though, this was one of the bottom 5 episodes of the entire show for me. It got a bit better as it went along which is why it won't be joining the only episode I did not enjoy watching, which shall remain unnamed.

First off, they pulled another Shining Armor on us, that sibling you've had all along and failed to ever mention. This did it slightly better because Zephyr was a brother that Fluttershy didn't ever really want to talk about. And Zephyr, I couldn't even see him as relatable because I was stuck trying to get past the hateable. I can understand lack of trying because of a fear of failure, but he was unbearable, even just to watch. I just couldn't enjoy this episode as much as I wanted to.

• Brohoof 2

This episode was just absolutely amazing. It's great seeing Fluttershy's parents and her brother, Zephyr Breeze. I do wonder what the parents names are though. Fluttershy's stern behavior to her brother was something to see and was interesting as well. She doesn't really act that way to her friends and it felt like a nice representation on how siblings behave to one another. The jokes and references were very well done and enjoyable to watch. I really could relate to Zephyr on the fear of failing and I liked how the episode handled this lesson pretty well. The song came out of nowhere, but it was really good and pretty catchy to listen to, in my opinion. All in all this episode was such an awesome episode to watch. This has to be my favorite Fluttershy episode and my favorite episode of season 6 so far.  :)

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

SWEET CELESTIA!!! This episode was just AMAZING!! Fluttershy was grown so much to be able to stand up and take charge for her parents. She's able to firmly tell Zephyr breeze to get a job and even kick him out when he can't get one. Later, she realizes that she doesn't want him to be homeless and she takes him back and even helps him gets his career back on track. She is just.... The best big sister EVER!!!!! Rainbow dash was a fantastic support in this one. Fluttershy usually works well as Rainbow's support, so I was happy to see that it worked just as well the other way around. Also, the song was awesome as always. As someone who is just staring to look for jobs, this episode really hit home for me.

Overall, I would definitely list this as my new favorite Season 6 episode. Definitely the magnum opus of this season.

Side notes:

- Fluttershy's parents are even more shy and less assertive than she usually is. Also, Her mom is adorable.

- Zephyr Breeze is hilarious. He kind of reminded me of Kovu's older brother from The Lion King 2.

- I just LOVED the way they handled Rainbow's relationship with Fluttershy's family, they are childhood friends after all. Also, the way Zephyr flirted with her was pretty funny.

- My only gripe with this episode: NO STARLIGHT. D:

Edited by Princess Book Horse
  • Brohoof 5

No s#i7 shy. Big sis laying down thd law

Not a real interesting epjsode. Kinda "meh", as I expected it to be

Soooo....pony cussing exists, and a foal was traumatized....shame on pegasus ponies

Neat episode. We finally get to see Fluttershy's family. I'm not sure if it's my favourite of the season, but I enjoyed it. At first Zephyr Breeze struck me as the odd one out in his family because he appears far more assertive, but then we eventually learn that he is actually quite timid and tries to mask it with his overbearing personality, making him a Shy through and through. I think it has a good moral, and I wouldn't mind seeing Zephyr again. Maybe Fluttershy should introduce him to Tree Hugger so he'd stop hitting on Rainbow. Plus, Zephyr and Tree Hugger would probably hit it off with the whole hippy thing.

I tried really hard to empathize with this new guy. But I just can't. Since I have no plans for myself after high school, my parents have offered to buy a small house for my brother and I to rent when we move out.

That's not exactly the same as what Fluttershy's parents did, but if I did anything close to what Zephyr did, I would die from shame. I'm not even that close to my dad.

But if I DESTROYED cherished belongings of his (his shot glass collection, or gifts from his army buddies), even on accident, I would never forgive myself.

• Brohoof 2