Your opinion on the episode.  

248 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• Nope, I hated it!
    • I didn't care for it.
    • The meh is strong with this one.
    • I liked it! *squee*
    • I REALLY LOVED IT!!! <3

There's a lot to like here, but Zephyr's behaviour is so extreme that it doesn't seem to suit the moral very well. He's not just lazy, he's rude and manipulative; the anxiety that all of this is supposed to be about just doesn't register. When he quits all the jobs, you can start to see hints of it, but it's repeatedly undercut by the ways he gets other people to do work for him. The episode doesn't let us in his head enough, is what I'm saying, and unfortunately, it makes him slimy enough that getting in his head doesn't sound terribly desirable in the first place. 

The last four minutes do a better job; they reduce the bad behaviour and increase the anxiety. At that point I think the episode starts to achieve some resonance, as there really is something relatable in Zephyr's exaggerated fear of failure. It's a good moral which could have been communicated more elegantly. And sue me, I still think Zephyr is funny, especially in the first third or so. He's a little less funny when he's just destroying his parents' stuff, but when he's just being smug and egotistical I find him genuinely hilarious. And of course, Fluttershy is great. She stands up for herself without ever giving up her sensitivity and gentle demeanour. Later episodes like "Fluttershy Leans In" start to feel a bit too different, but here it feels perfectly organic. 

The song sounds kinda like every other song in this show, but it's upbeat and pleasant. This show could still use some more diversity in musical compositions. 

Score:
Entertainment: 8/10
Characters: 7/10
Themes: 7/10
Story: 5/10
Overall: 68/100

• 2 months later...

It's not my favorite episode, because Zephyr is just lazy and rude. He just barges into Fluttershy's house and expects her to give him what he wants. Though, I do like how Fluttershy has come a long way from being a total pushover.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

The main problem with this episode is that it isn't from Zephyr's perspective. If it was from his perspective, there could be more depth with his fear of failure and we could've been able to see that Zephyr has real talent, but instead all we see for a large amount of the episode is Zephyr being an incompetent, manipulative jerk. That fear of failure only comes through a few times before the ending. Most of the episode is spent telling us that Zephyr is talented and just isn't applying himself, but it doesn't show any kind of talent until the end. We're left to assume that Zephyr is a failure that's trying to leech off of others to make up for it for most of the episode. The audience doesn't want to root for someone like that. If the episode was from Zephyr's perspective and we saw that he has talent but he's not applying it, that could be a character worth rooting for. 

Also there's some padding. Both of the scenes of Zephyr trying to get a job play out the exact same way so I think one of those scenes should've been cut. And the scene with Pinkie and Applejack is just pointless. Rainbow could've told Fluttershy what Applejack tells her.

But I do like that nobody (except Fluttershy's parents) buys Zephyr's bit. Fluttershy is constantly telling Zephyr to move out of his parents' house and then to get a job. This makes Zephyr more funny than annoying, even if there's still no emotional connection. Fluttershy's characterization is really fantastic here. She's bold and stands up for herself, but not to a point where it's out of character. And a lot of credit has to be given to Zephyr's voice actor. Zephyr has the perfect voice of being manipulative and slimy, but still charming with a hint that's there's something more to him.

Also, there are some good jokes. I don't find Zephyr that funny, but he has his moments and the same goes for the running gag of Zephyr flirting with Rainbow. Rainbow just having a horrified face isn't funny, but her making up a bad excuse to get away or pushing Zephyr away with a blank face is. 

Overall, this episode is okay. The emotional moments don't work that well, but the episode keeps Zephyr from getting too annoying and there are some pretty enjoyable moments.

Score: 6/10

• 3 months later...

Zephyr breeze was annoying but he actually a pretty good presentation of some people,not everyone find their calling some people let doubt dictate their life and prefer to not try rather then hurt their ego or experience failure. I can sympathize with him, its easy to give in when you don't believe in yourself or tried it and failed so you are afraid to try again. Of course its not that easy to get over it in real life but it represented it greatly in this episode, and I liked the fact that he may have succeeded in studying but still requires help from his family, this situation is very similar to what happens to one of my friends. The song was pretty good to. 10\10  

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Fluttershy's mom and dad are so cute. Her brother is not well liked by anyone. Especially Rainbow dash. I enjoy him torturing her haha. Zephyr Breeze reminds me of me. Lazy. But the part where he destroyed the cloud collection really got at me. I do not like him. Her parents are just too shy lol, he moves in with Fluttershy, hilarious. Good moral though, getting out on your own. I won't be doing that for a while.  

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

While it's nice to see Fluttershy's parents, but I hate her brother, though. He's such a nuisance. Apparently, he has a wired "crush" on Rainbow Dash. It really creeps me out, honestly.

The only good thing about this episode was Fluttershy herself because I really like how she's matured with her assertiveness without going ballistic. This is something I really wish the new writers could've done more with it.

Other than that, the episode was just blah.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked this episode.

As a Fluttershy fan it was very nice to meet her family. She's got lovely parents, her brother is different. I also don't like him. I give a lot of credit to his VA. I really don't know who he is but he gave Fluttershy's brother the perfect voice.

Poor RD. I really felt for her here :(

I really like Fluttershy's development in the series. In the beginning she showed her inner strength only when she had too. She had already some character development before but she gets even more in this episode due to his brother.

• Brohoof 1

• 6 months later...

Ok .. so .. I like the more assertive Fluttershy, and it was cool seeing who her parents actually are... but that's where it stops.  Let's be real, the only breeze that comes from Zeph contains methane while he's slacking off in a chair.  Certainly not one of my favorite episodes, but far from the bottom of the pit.  That reaction of Dash's toward the end when Fluttershy's parents suggest she has a thing for Zeph is priceless though.

Edited by Adariousmist

• 1 year later...

I can’t help noticing Zephyr is one of those ponies whose cutie mark doesn’t seem to be about his special talent. 

I got confused for a bit cause I knew he was a royal guard too and then realized that was a later episode. 

• 3 months later...

Best episode in the series... I kept watching through the show and thinking to myself... when is a pony with REAL character and an IRRESISTABLE PERSONALITY, going to show up... one that really just stands out above the rest and really puts everyponies talents and sacrifice to shame... then all of a sudden we're blessed with Zephyr... BASICALLY the biggest gigachad in MLP history... I couldnt look away, everyone else was just in the denial the whole time about how great he was... basically it was their fault he even got put in those positions to begin with? Dont they realize they love him and hes just entitled to these things inherently and that basically not indulging his ego means there is clearly something wrong with them? Obviously not... it just really annoyed me how he was expected to do anything or expected to "grow as a character"? what? hes at max level? this is basically the god of MLP? they were just trying to bring him to their level... kings like that are above work, sacrifice, and anything "redeeming" whatsoever? Nah they need to realize who is in charge, and why that is just inherent to some ponies, no matter how "repulsive" they may seem...

Edited by intrusivederpy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 2023-04-11 at 10:27 AM, intrusivederpy said:

Best episode in the series... I kept watching through the show and thinking to myself... when is a pony with REAL character and an IRRESISTABLE PERSONALITY, going to show up... one that really just stands out above the rest and really puts everyponies talents and sacrifice to shame... then all of a sudden we're blessed with Zephyr... BASICALLY the biggest gigachad in MLP history... I couldnt look away, everyone else was just in the denial the whole time about how great he was... basically it was their fault he even got put in those positions to begin with? Dont they realize they love him and hes just entitled to these things inherently and that basically not indulging his ego means there is clearly something wrong with them? Obviously not... it just really annoyed me how he was expected to do anything or expected to "grow as a character"? what? hes at max level? this is basically the god of MLP? they were just trying to bring him to their level... kings like that are above work, sacrifice, and anything "redeeming" whatsoever? Nah they need to realize who is in charge, and why that is just inherent to some ponies, no matter how "repulsive" they may seem...

I do not like Zephyr Breeze.

• 1 month later...

I don’t like Zephyr. He’s annoying as all hell, and a complete creep towards Rainbow Dash. I feel like everyone has come across a guy like him at some point IRL too which just makes him more annoying in this episode. Yeah he has a fear of failure, sure, that doesn’t even come close to excusing just how lazy and grating he is. Even after he becomes less lazy at the end of the episode he still just gives off sleazy vibes.

Fluttershy getting “peeved” at him was funny at least. Still don’t like this episode though. Even the last one was better than this.