248 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• Nope, I hated it!
    • I didn't care for it.
    • The meh is strong with this one.
    • I liked it! *squee*
    • I REALLY LOVED IT!!! <3

1169988__safe_rainbow+dash_screencap_flo

Rainbow doesn't want any part of that. Do not let ship leave the docks, sink it before it has a chance to move! 

lol I don't think I've ever seen a more disgusted face in my life :P

• Brohoof 2

So, my initial thoughts on the episode. Good! I liked it but more because of Fluttershy than anything else. Dashie had some funny moments. I couldn't really like the brother, though. I'm sure there will be some interesting discussion on him.

Can't believe I missed this. Link is now a My Little Pony character 

I'm greedy. I want them to give us Midna. :twi:  

Loved it. Also ... Zephyr is my sister-in-law confirmed. I've seen that kid drop out of college TWICE because of a crippling fear of failure.

Oh dear. That's terrible (but I mean that in the sense that I hope she faces her fear not that she is a bad person). I know very well what it's like to be afraid of failure because I was a perfectionist all through college. I suppose the difference for me was that I knew that I had to face that fear and do the best I could so I could learn and improve. Coincidentally, I wound up kicking flank and getting summa cum laude.  :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

It's been a while since I have reviewed a MLP episode, but this is one close to my heart. We are introduced to Zephyr, Fluttershy's brother, plus we get to see her family, that was quite a bonus, to finally see Fluttershy's parents, then we meet her brother, an ambitious but undisciplined stallion, I knew people that this in navy boot camp, but they learned very fast, that this was not summer camp, it's the military, and they had ways to get you to act. We learned that Zephyr, had been given many opportunities, but could not commit to the task, for not meeting his demands, so failure to try and quitting when progress was made, was what he did. It was up to Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash to motivate Zephyr in his latest effort, mane dressing, it was nice to see Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy is a new episode, I think this pair is the best in Friendship is Magic, I also like it when Fluttershy shows more emotion, she got mad with Zephyr's apathy, as he could not pass through his lousy attitude. In the ended, Rainbow and Fluttershy finally got through the think wall of stubborn foolishness, he finally got the style right, and graduated from college. If I am allowed a metaphor, Zephyr reminds me of Lauren Faust, who has walked off great opportunities, just because the studio did not meet her demands, ironic for a feminist, who is suppose to believe in commitment, but when you are starting out, you have to take projects to learn how to do something, and get recognition, then you could make demands, like George Lucas, if he just walked off Star Wars back in 1976, we would not have gotten an awesome movie. I once saw this speech made by a British colonel addressing new recruits, "This could be your last job, most people would not try, some of you are riff raff and vagabonds, starting today is the moment for you to complete something for once in your life, today is the moment someone who knows you, to say I am proud of you." This is a great episode, with a great message, so keep your chins up, and Flutter on.   

Edited by King Edouard

(edited)

I'm almost astounded by how much I hated this episode. :dry:

Zephyr Breeze is probably the most ridiculously unlikable character ever introduced in the show, and I'm truly puzzled by the fact that I was apparently supposed to sympathize with him. 

"Oh, I can't do anything because I have too much self-doubt!" Give me a break. If you're go with this angle, then you need to give me a reason to sympathize with a character by showing that he's actually trying to make an effort, and isn't simply comfortable with doing nothing but mooching off people. Zephyr was clearly not trying to make an effort. He is the textbook example of someone who cannot function in real life because he's been enabled to hell and back.

I fully understand Fluttershy feeling obligated to help him, but he honestly had no business guilt tripping her into it when he had deliberately botched each and every opportunity he was given. Fluttershy had done more than enough to help him, and the bottom line is that he was simply not her responsibility. Zephyr's complete unwillingness to work was on him, not on her. 

So what exactly is the moral supposed to be here? "If one of your family members isn't functioning in life, then it's clearly your responsibility to bend over backwards to get them to succeed, no matter what the inconvenience to you, no matter how much they don't appreciate your efforts, and even if they aren't willing to apply themselves!" 

Oh, yeah that's a great one. One for the books, truly.  :D

Also, was Zephyr supposed to be a parody of a flamboyantly gay person? Because that's definitely the impression I got.   :okiedokieloki:

There were a few positives here, I'll admit. Fluttershy was characterized really well, and I really liked her dynamic with Rainbow Dash. But honestly, this top's Rapp's previous episode as my least favorite season 6 episode. 

Edited by Cleverclover
  • Brohoof 4

(edited)

Zephyr might've worked a lot better if he hadn't actively been emotionally manipulative.

IMO, this episode was like the anti-Maud Pie.

Edited by Orcus on His Throne
  • Brohoof 1

I could relate to Zephyr. I worry about my future a lot, and whether or not I’ll be a success.

I get what you mean, but it's really important for you to define for yourself what success means. For example, I'm partly an environmentalist and being successful involves not being consumerist in a way that harms and deteriorates the environment. That's quite different than the get-everything-I-can mentality that usually defines "success" in our culture. I cannot define it for you because you being successful has to do with how well you accomplish your goals according to your morals.  :twi:

That's not to say I won't encourage others to be...you know...more environmentally conscious though.  ;)

This episode was not as good as I had originally hoped for back when I first heard Fluttershy had a brother in 2015. But it also wasn't as terrible as I imagined it might be. There was some wasted potential and weird pacing but the humor was decent most of the time and the song at the end was a nice surprise. I did like seeing Fluttershy's parents and home. It's a 'meh' episode for me.

I must say that Zephyr Sleaze was unforgivable in his obnoxiousness. His every moment with Rainbow Dash was cringe inducing. Just give it up pal. This episode spent so much time making him out to be a total douche and only started redeeming him in the last five minutes. Insufficiently in my opinion. Based on everything that went down in this episode and how it ended I'm left with a sour taste in my mouth. This guy is almost a living troll of a pony at times. Not in a funny way either. If I never see him again it will be too soon.

Main point: Zephyr Sleaze is worst pony.

• Brohoof 4

Zephyr was definitely an ass, but I think there is more to the character than some probably will be seeing. He is somewhat of a stereotype, but a stereotype who needs help, and in the end realizes it.

Not a bad message. :)

• Brohoof 3

I'm almost astounded by how much I hated this episode. :dry:

Zephyr Breeze is probably the most ridiculously unlikable character ever introduced in the show, and I'm truly puzzled by the fact that I was apparently supposed to sympathize with him. 

"Oh, I can't do anything because I have too much self-doubt!" Give me a break. If you're go with this angle, then you need to give me a reason to sympathize with a character by showing that he's actually trying to make an effort, and isn't simply comfortable with doing nothing but mooching off people. Zephyr was clearly not trying to make an effort. He is the textbook example of someone who cannot function in real life because he's been enabled to hell and back.

I fully understand Fluttershy feeling obligated to help him, but he honestly had no business guilt tripping her into it when he had deliberately botched each and every opportunity he was given. Fluttershy had done more than enough to help him, and the bottom line is that he was simply not her responsibility. Zephyr's complete unwillingness to work was on him, not on her. 

So what exactly is the moral supposed to be here? "If one of your family members isn't functioning in life, then it's clearly your responsibility to bend over backwards to get them to succeed, no matter what the inconvenience to you, no matter how much they don't appreciate your efforts, and even if they aren't willing to apply themselves!" 

Oh, yeah that's a great one. One for the books, truly.  :D

Also, was Zephyr supposed to be a parody of a flamboyantly gay person? Because that's definitely the impression I got.   :okiedokieloki:

There were a few positives here, I'll admit. Fluttershy was characterized really well, and I really liked her dynamic with Rainbow Dash. But honestly, this top's Rapp's previous episode as my least favorite season 6 episode. 

I don't know if that was the main point to this episode. ... 

When you get down to it, Fluttershy made some strict rules that he needed to follow, and because she know's how her brother is she made sure that he had jobs lined up. She stood up to him and made him finally admit to himself and to her what was the problem and the issues he was having. 

And a lot of people don't reach their full potential because they deal with the fear of failure, so they don't even try. It is not as uncommon as many people think. The anxiety of failure and self doubt is strong and can mess with your mind in ways that make no sense to anyone else. 

The main point and biggest issue tackled was to be supportive but stern, make sure that they know that you love them, but you can't be a "door mat" like their parents and enabling him. But he thrived on it and knew how to play them. And MANY parents do this to their children, it was a good thing that Fluttershy was there to help stop that. 

Granted in the end he still ended up having to stay with his parents, but it was different this time, he had graduated and just needed a place to stay until he made some money. 

And the whole... he's flamboyant gay pony... yeah, until you have seen my brother in-law you have not seen flamboyant.. 

He was putting on a facade, that is all there is to it, he was acting that way to make himself feel better and to help him fake confidence and arrogance. 

• Brohoof 2

Reminded me alot of McJuggerNuggets, The head he had with him reminded me of Damien (or Emma). Fluttershy was a lot like psycho dad in the episode trying to get him into doing a job xD

How sad is it that Spike, a BABY dragon, is more mature and has a stronger work ethic than Zephyr?

You would be shocked just how real that situation really is.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

SPOILER ALERT! Please excuse the fact that I'm not sure what Fluttershy's brother's name is. I thought this was a really sweet episode. The first thing I liked and noticed was that Fluttershy has a younger brother. I thought it was cool that Fluttershy had a younger brother because up until this point we have only seen older brother dynamics. I also like that Fluttershy's brother is an adult whereas Applebloom and Sweetie Belle are still school age so that made for some interesting moments. It was cool to see Fluttershy get annoyed at her brother, stand up for what she thought was right and even teach her parents to stand up for themselves. This episode really showed how much Fluttershy has grown as a character. I liked seeing her in a big sister role. It suits her. I also really liked her parents, especially her father. I thought her brother was funny. I think the whole point is we are supposed to find him annoying and lazy and the writers did a good job of this. I thought it was interesting how all of his lazy attitude steamed from fear. It is amazing how much of people's behavior is driven by fear. I liked the little song. I guess a problem some people might find with this episode is that the brother is a bit of a stereotype but I think for this episode it works because he is still a well written character with emotions who makes something of himself at the end. His interactions with Rainbow Dash were cute and funny at times, because he totally had a crush on her, but in other moments they just did not work for me. 

Edited by StitchandMLPlover
  • Brohoof 8

How sad is it that Spike, a BABY dragon, is more mature and has a stronger work ethic than Zephyr?

Spike was raised by Twilight. What do you expect?  ^_^

And a lot of people don't reach their full potential because they deal with the fear of failure, so they don't even try. It is not as uncommon as many people think. The anxiety of failure and self doubt is strong and can mess with your mind in ways that make no sense to anyone else. 

I'd agree. People will do irrational things when fear is involved. It's actually quite logical when you get down to the psychology of it. People will do things that are really bad or harmful to themselves or others so long as they perceive those things to be better alternatives to whatever it is they fear. The reality of what they fear is not important - the perception of it is.  :ooh:

• Brohoof 2

Zephyr was definitely an ass, but I think there is more to the character than some probably will be seeing. He is somewhat of a stereotype, but a stereotype who needs help, and in the end realizes it. Not a bad message. :)

He was putting on a facade, that is all there is to it, he was acting that way to make himself feel better and to help him fake confidence and arrogance. 

The problem is in the way he interacts with others to get what he wants. He emotionally manipulates his parents, damages their property, constantly hits on RD in a creepy way, takes total advantage of Fluttershy and doesn't care about anypony but himself. And the best part is that none of this is directly addressed at all. Yes he eventually stops, but only because his sister forced him to, not because he actually feels any remorse for manipulating others.

• Brohoof 1

I'm only 7 minutes into the ep, but I wanna say: I freaking love Fluttershy so far. You can actually really see all the progress she's made over the seasons! She's like an entirely different pony.

She's not afraid to show her emotions, she immediately goes to stand up to her brother, and you can just see that she's not having it. You can still see some of the old Flutters in her, but she has a new bold, and confident personality. I LOVE it. I'll come back with an update on how I feel about this episode after I finish it. But I'm loving it so far!

• Brohoof 6

If they wanted Zephyr Breeze to be unlikable, they did a good job of it. The episode wasn't anything to write home about but he's easily the candidate for worst pony.

• Brohoof 3

The episode opens with the conflict of fluttershys brother unable to support himself, and living at home. Most of the episode is spent reinforcing the fact that Zephyr is an unemployable douche. Rainbow Dash, and fluttershy sing at him, so he graduates, and gets a degree in "mane therapy". Episode ends with him still living with his parents. And conflict resolved.

Also, where does Rainbow Dash have room to criticize anyone for taking naps, as we have frequently been shown her doing just that ( although, in all fairness, Dash probably was taking a well deserved rest after a hard half day of work)