Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Updating forum badges - Going beyond Unicorn

TheGamerDerpy

Maybe not, the squirrel could be just any squirrel, but I don't see why we shouldn't include them. These other animals are a part of Equestria and are quite common as well. We even have a supporting character being a bunny, Angel. Imo, the badges don't need to have a thing in them that strictly is related to mlp as long as they actually appear in the show and follow the same design as the other badges. I like the set of badges that we have now and I do not want to see Muffin, Cupcake, Butterfly, Squirrel, Bunny, Bird gone simply because they're not 140% my little pony. Where would the line between "not enough mlp" and "enough mlp" go? Would Dragon really quality then? Because Dragons appear but the show isn't about them.. When I see a picture of a dragon, that doesn't really scream 'MLP' at me.. See what I mean? Lastly I don't see how Cupcake is "odd". To me it makes perfect sense how we got a cupcake and a muffin badge. They relate to Pinkie and Derpy, we even have a major place in the series that is related to all things sugar.

If we add in Batpony and Griffon then we're still leaving out things like Zebra, Horse, Buffalo and all other creatures that has an episode about them..

Also, Pony should be renamed to Earth Pony.

Well, the current badge set was designed when the show was ongoing, not after. A visual refresh should have been something you all considered back when they were originally designed. If not it was a legitimate flaw in planning. It did a good job representing earlier seasons, but as FiM has expanded its lore since the badges were created, they are technically outdated.

As far as the dragon one, updating it to reflect the color scheme of a certain Dragon Princess would be better.

Yak would be better than a water buffalo.

I have no problems with the current ranks, I just would like to go up higher because those of us that are either at that rank or approaching the final rank have no progression left. :c

Agreed. The question is having something that would be appropriate to follow Unicorn. I bet none of us wants a badge of Flurry Heart or Flash Sentry (though that would be some epic trolling on the staff's part).

Agreed. The question is having something that would be appropriate to follow Unicorn. I bet none of us wants a badge of Flurry Heart or Flash Sentry (though that would be some epic trolling on the staff's part).

How about the elements of harmony? We could go up ranks through them.

• 1 month later...

How about the elements of harmony? We could go up ranks through them.

I like this idea. XD After "Unicorn", you could earn each of the Elements one by one til you finally reach Twilight's Element.

And I too want "Pony" changed to "Earth Pony."

I like this idea a lot. Though it would pose a similar problem to the current system where folks really slow down the posting when they reach a certain rank because they value the element that that rank represents.

I like the idea of more higher ranks, personally (before I became staff) wanted to stop the progression of the badges, I don't want a unicorn badge I'd like the pegasus one! (Master race) but the ability to chose unlocked ones would be a great feature, even for staff... (hint, hint)

• Brohoof 1

Hmm, I'm approaching crystal pony rank, but I can't see myself reaching the max anytime soon. Still, it would be cool to have some higher badges for those that enjoy that sort of thing.

I would. :P

But for other ideas for more badges, I read somewhere that someone suggested having a princess badge as one of them and I think it would be a really neat idea.

The badge could have the images of Celestia, Luna, and Cadence's cutie marks similar to that of what happened in You'll Play Your Part.

I am thinking that it could be after 9000 or 10000 posts.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 1

Something like that should do. 20 ranks, nice and even.

I don't think we need anything beyond 50k posts. Most people don't even reach 5. Also, only 28 people out of approximately 12000 total users (people that actually have made a post on the site, not number of accounts) has more than 5000 posts.

I don't really care what the images are anymore, as long as 100, 1000, 5000, 10000 and 50000 are fancy ones.

• Brohoof 1

I had a new idea the other day in addition to my previous idea of category badges, what if the top rank badge was customize-able? I see a bunch of posts talking about wanting a specific race as the top because it is their favorite, if they could customize the top rank, for instance make their badge their own mark, then it would be something they would work towards.

These custom badges would of course be subject to approval and have guidelines similar to sig and user pictures, and given the low number of posters that reach the top rank it would be easy to manage.

How's that?

what if the top rank badge was customize-able?

I like this idea. Since choosing between unlocked badges isn't possible, this should be an option for the staff to consider. Add the possibility to upload a 150x60 image which then is used as image for your rank. With this, you could easily just put the link to another forum badge, making the use of previous badges possible.

I don't know whether it is possible to let users upload their own badge, though. My guess would be that there's only a setting which allows the tech to add a certain image for a specific user group.

• 4 weeks later...

Why is unicorn the highest rank? Doesn't that imply that unicorns are somehow above the other pony races :maud:?

I'm of course not being serious :-p . Although I guess with magic you have more power and capabilities than the other pony races, so..

Also, only 28 people out of approximately 12000 total users (people that actually have made a post on the site, not number of accounts) has more than 5000 posts.  

I'll be the one who makes that 29.  

• 6 months later...

I think that they should have a badge called "Alicorn", with a rainbow pony with both wings and horn. This could be reached by having 10,000 posts. The benefits that you'll get when earned would be..

- Having the background of your post any color/image

- Your username any color desired

- And probably an application for being a mod. Unless they have warning points.

I clearly support this idea and wish for more badges. Even though I'm only a parasprite.  :please:

I think that they should have a badge called "Alicorn", with a rainbow pony with both wings and horn. This could be reached by having 10,000 posts. The benefits that you'll get when earned would be..

- Having the background of your post any color/image

I clearly support this idea and wish for more badges. Even though I'm only a parasprite. :please:

Agree that I would love a 10K badge, though I'm biased a little.

I do see a few issues with the add-on's you mentioned. Display name colors tend to me used as a paid user perk and to designate current and former staff. I suppose since the number of 10K users here would be small enough for that not to be a huge issue, but it is one to account for.

Most importantly, any member can apply for a Moderator position. Time in the community and post count (or lack of) are not a disqualifier. Similarly, they are not evidence of ability to succeed in Moderation.

Also, I could be wrong, but I think Alicorn is already a badge. ;)

I still say that the combined EoH symbol would be a great 10K badge. Even the Tree or Harmony or a combined Princess symbol.

• Brohoof 2

Actually I like the idea, that only admins can have the alicorn badge. That's a pretty accurate reference to MLP, where admins are like princesses - they have an important role. Not everypony can be an alicorn.   :-P

I think that would be problematic to do, because they'd have to add some extra user groups for every single member with that rank if I'm not mistaking. That could get spammy. Besides, I agree with @Jeric, that it could get confusing at some point. Shiny colors all over the place would make the staff harder to spot.
However, a single special color for all members with that mark wouldn't be that bad.

Yep, as said above, any member can apply for a mod. What's more, they're currently looking for new moderators. Become their faithful student today!  :)

what if the top rank badge was customize-able?

That's a nice idea, though it would be kinda difficult to do.
They would have to create a special user group for every single member with that rank. That's not really that bad, though it could get spammy at some point I'm afraid.
Either way, you can get your custom badge by purchasing The Pink Fluffy Unicorn subscription.

• A custom badge created by our design team, just for you.

~And even there are problems with that, as you can't set different badges for one user group. They had troubles with it, but since there was only one person in that group, they've used a temporary workaround. However if there would be two users or more... they'd have to find a solution for this.

Hmm... A Bringer of Happiness badge would be nice though.  :ooh:

I see, that it was mentioned above, but I also kinda dislike the fact, that the badges imply, that unicorn is the best race.

Of course I'm just joking, I don't find that offensive, nor anything like this, but let's just assume, that I'd like to keep the Pegasus badge, because my OC is a pegasus, for example.

Or even now, I have a bunny rank, but I liked butterfly more, because it was matching better to my profile picture (color-wise).

A possible solution would be making ranks 'unlockable'. For example you could unlock the pony rank by reaching 1500 posts, but you could still go back and choose your favorite one from the already unlocked ones. I think that wouldn't be possible to do ~ just throwing my thoughts.

That's just a silly thing though. I know, that the ranks have a totally different purpose, so I don't mind that.  ^_^

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 1

Agree that I would love a 10K badge, though I'm biased a little.

I do see a few issues with the add-on's you mentioned. Display name colors tend to me used as a paid user perk and to designate current and former staff. I suppose since the number of 10K users here would be small enough for that not to be a huge issue, but it is one to account for.

Most importantly, any member can apply for a Moderator position. Time in the community and post count (or lack of) are not a disqualifier. Similarly, they are not evidence of ability to succeed in Moderation.

Also, I could be wrong, but I think Alicorn is already a badge. ;)

I still say that the combined EoH symbol would be a great 10K badge. Even the Tree or Harmony or a combined Princess symbol.

Oh yeah, the alicorn badge is for mods. Silly me!

A possible solution would be making ranks 'unlockable'. For example you could unlock the pony rank by reaching 1500 posts, but you could still go back and choose your favorite one from the already unlocked ones. I think that wouldn't be possible to do ~ just throwing my thoughts.

That's a really popular thing that's been asked for a lot. :) Unfortunately the *current* forum software we're using doesn't have that ability. It is, however, near the top of my personal list of wanted features for when we upgrade/replace the version of Inversion Power Board we've got.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

Epic BUMP! 

Now that we've seen the Changelings, well change in the show, isn't it time for the changeling avatar to change as well? 

Just a thought! 

12 hours ago, Hypn0ticD said:

Now that we've seen the Changelings, well change in the show, isn't it time for the changeling avatar to change as well? 

I hope not. I personally like the old design of the badge (Jokuc did himself proud on that one). Perhaps having a new one created as well if they do refresh the badges at some point. I mean, there are a lot of generic animal themed badges that could be replaced. 

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Jeric said:

I hope not. I personally like the old design of the badge (Jokuc did himself proud on that one). Perhaps having a new one created as well if they do refresh the badges at some point. I mean, there are a lot of generic animal themed badges that could be replaced. 

It would be kind of neat if it shifted back and forth, but I'm not sure we want the overhead of animated badges....

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Fhaolan said:

It would be kind of neat if it shifted back and forth, but I'm not sure we want the overhead of animated badges....

Or like an automated task that would just switch it out randomly on specific days :P

• Brohoof 1