Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why doesn't Applejack save her parents?

KillerKingBakudan

I'll echo the fact that it is just an inherently bad idea to mess with time travel, it can only cause more problems. I'd also bring into question what kind of lesson this teaches, both in show to other characters and to viewers. If something bad happens it doesn't matter, because you can always go back and fix it? It renders the concept of loss, consequences and acceptance as meaningless. I also think it would be very out of character for Applejack to consider doing this as she wouldn't be being honest with herself. If it were Applebloom, I'd be more inclined to believe it. AB wants her parents back so considers using time travel, AJ eventually finds out and tries to stop her, eventually reasoning with her not to.

(edited)

Since when is Applejacks parents dead? 

Anyway, the simple answer is that she can't. The scroll that allowed Starlight to travel through time was destroyed and if I remember correctly the spell Twilight used in "It's About Time" only worked once.  

Edited by Yamet

Thinking about it, Wasn't this already done as a joke in FIW? :P (just with pinkie instead)

Pretty much Pinkie's parents line in that song would be what AJ's parents response would be if she were to ever do something like that (which, once more, I honestly feel would be horrifically out of character for AJ to actively seek it herself: I could see a villain try and temp her with it, but its not something she'd ever try unless it was literally being forced in her face on a silver platter)

That was a terrible film, and you are a terrible person for reminding me of its existence.  The original was far superior.

But yes, messing about with time is an undertaking fraught with difficulties, paradoxes and butterflies everywhere!

You're right.  I am sorry.  Into exile I will go.  Failed I have.  I never saw the original, but I've heard the remake was bad.  I enjoyed it, but mostly for the time traveling special effects.  The reason I brought it up was because of how Alexander repeatedly tried to save his sweetheart, only to see her die in a multitude of ways.  As you know, he then tries to figure out why he can't change it.  He says, "I could go back a thousand times and watch her die a thousand ways...," then comes to the conclusion that it's just meant to happen.  Don't know if that's how the original went.  Anyway, yeah, that's why I mentioned it, because I could see AJ's attempt to save her parents going exactly the same way.

They can't use the map to go back in time. The time spell Starlight modified got sucked in by the portal, probably to prevent any more time travel shenanigans.

• Brohoof 1

Time travel has already been shown to be an incredibly bad thing, with consequences ranging from making you a paranoid wreck for a week to laying waste to everything and everyone you knew and loved. Applejack of all ponies would see sense in not trying, even if it led to disappointment.

All these replies about the problems of her going back in time to save her parents from death but sadly having it never work sounds like a very tragic and heartfelt episode. GET TO IT WRITERS!

• 5 years later...
On 2016-06-03 at 4:09 PM, ShyPie said:

I'll echo the fact that it is just an inherently bad idea to mess with time travel, it can only cause more problems. I'd also bring into question what kind of lesson this teaches, both in show to other characters and to viewers. If something bad happens it doesn't matter, because you can always go back and fix it? It renders the concept of loss, consequences and acceptance as meaningless. I also think it would be very out of character for Applejack to consider doing this as she wouldn't be being honest with herself. If it were Applebloom, I'd be more inclined to believe it. AB wants her parents back so considers using time travel, AJ eventually finds out and tries to stop her, eventually reasoning with her not to.

or end up like this 

Rottenbunch

Edited by Scootaloo9074090