Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Virus or Necromancer: Which zombie movie plot makes more sense

heavens-champion

Have you noticed that in a lot of zombie fiction, it's a virus that causes zombies to run amok? Personally, I think a necromancer would make more sense. How else would the dead rise to terrorize the living? What do you guys think?

That depends on what kind of zombie film it is. If the film is about living people going crazy/zombie because of a virus or something like in the (imo bad) film World War Z, it kind of makes more sense. But if the people that become zombies are already dead, like in Evil Dead, it makes more sense with evil powers and stuff. Then there's this middle category where people become zombies if they're infected and they die, like in The Walking Dead for example. That makes a little bit less sense since how would they be able to get up again after dying if it really was a virus? I don't really have an answer.. I don't think we've gotten one from any zombie film either from what I can remember.

I have created 6 categories of zombies: 

Magic: Like classic voodoo, as seen in the Zombi 2 movie or raise dead spells from D&D or mythology.

Radiation: This was the source in the original Night Of The Living Dead movie.

Virus: The most common type these days, because it is the most scientifically plausible.

Medical: Such as the Frankenstein monster, or a lobotomy.

Demonic: Like from the Doom games. 

Technological: Like the Borg from Star Trek. This might be a stretch but I include it.

These days, in entertainment media, it is popular to try to scientifically explain the zombie. I don't need that much explanation. I'm happy to accept the zombie for the purpose of the story. If you try to explain it too much then you run into all kinds of problems and you ruin the story.

• 5 years later...